Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bdPinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

This is so frustrating. I've swapped out the power board from a working game, as well as the solenoid driver game from a different working game as well. There is only ONE fuse that I can find under the playfield, and it tests good as well. It's a tiny 1 amp fuse at the top of the playfield. What else could possibly be causing this? I've tested all the test points on both the driver and the rectifier board and they seem to read okay to me. I just feel like there is some invisible fuse or something I can't see! Like a damned "fusable link" on an car!!

Help me oh Pinside Forum gurus.. You're my only hope.

-Brian

#2 6 years ago

I had an almost identical fault to this on my Fireball Classic. I mass soldered joints, checked every board connection (well known wonky points on these), and occasionally it would work perfectly, but soon after go back to the same fault. I tried all of my boards into my friends Fathom, they all worked faultlessly. Tried his in mine - same fault. In the end I decided that the .2 of a volt drop off I had at two test points was enough to stop the game, so I installed a new 12v PSU inside and put it so it just supplied the appropriate boards. Bingo. It's never let me down since.

You may well not want to do this, so if you do find your fault, post on here, I might be able to try the repair on mine!

Best of luck chap.

#3 6 years ago

Are the flippers working at least?
Are you measuring 43 volts at the common yellow wire on the solenoids?
Are you measuring 43 volts at both sides of the playfield fuse?
Do you measure zero ohms continuity from the rectifier board J1 pin 7 to the playfield fuse (43 volt solenoid power)?
When you briefly ground any of the metal tabs of the driver transistors on the Solenoid Driver Board (SDB) do their respectively driven solenoids activate?

Your problem could even be logic - that the SDB isn't receiving commands from the MPU board to activate solenoids.
Do you hear the flipper enable relay on the SDB click during the solenoid test?

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. Flippers don't work, but I did hear/see the flipper solenoid click. I'll check those other things- I like the idea about trying the Q tabs.

-Brian

#5 6 years ago

Temporarily connecting the Tabs of the Qs on the Sol driver board do not produce anything. No reaction from grounding the tabs of any of the Driver Qs.

No Flippers.
Yes, there is 43 volts at the Solenoid Fuse on the Rectifier board, as well as what I think is Pin 9 of J1 (Lower right pin of the 9 pin connector, It's a brown wire, and it appears to connect to the other side of the playfield fuse - The Yellow Common wire to the fuses. However by the time the Brown wire gets to the Playfield, it has no juice. No continuity.

Is it reasonable to put a test wire from the Brown Wire connection from Pin 9 of the Rectifier board to the Brown wire on the side of the Playfield fuse? I THINK it's the same wire, but with such a glob of wires it hard to be sure.

Thanks for the help.

-Brian

#6 6 years ago

FOUND IT!

I guess they start the "Daisy Chain" of this brown power wire from the Rectifier board, through the upper right flipper. That one came off. All seems better now. Hmm. Now that I'm playing the game though, seems like some of the switch matrix is a little wonky.

At least this problem is put to bed though! Tracing that brown wire from the Rectifier board up to that Playfield Fuse was the key though..

Thanks for your help guys!

-Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Potterville, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spy-hunter-no-solenoids and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.