Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Circuit-Breaker.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Spy Hunter is intermittantly blowing the playfield fuse. It's a 1amp slo-blow fuse and I can't yet narrow it down to anything specific happening. How should I go about tracking it down?

I had a similar problem with my Firepower II and it turned out to be one of the wires with +30v going to the coin lockout coils was shorting against the lockdown bar. I got lucky and noticed it. So I am thinking of disconnecting the coin lockout coils +voltage as well as the knocker +voltage wires. I haven't looked at the schematic yet though to see if they are even on the same circuit being protected by this playfield fuse. It kind of doesn't make sense that the playfield fuse would protect these given where it's located on the playfield.

Any suggestions?

#2 6 years ago

What fuse exactly is blowing? Coils, GI, etc... That will help narrow down the issue.

#3 6 years ago

I see the fuse in the schematic. It appears to protect the following:

left flipper
upper left flipper
right flipper
upper right flipper
out hole
saucer
left slingshot
drop-target reset
pop bumper
gate

Lots of stuff to inspect there.

#4 6 years ago

Take the glass off, and see if any pairs of those solenoids trip the fuse.

Pull on all diodes and see if any are broken.

Did you do ANY service on the machine lately?

I made up a set of these circuit breakers that fit in a fuse holder after I saw Clay use them.

Perfect for this kind of job, lol.

Circuit-Breaker.jpg

Post edited by vid1900 : pic from firebirdpinball.com

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes those breakers are great, I did use one when troubleshooting my Firepower II. I needed a 2.5amp but couldn't find one but subbed a 3amp breaker. Works great! Haha maybe I should just pick up a 1 amp circuit breaker and permanently mount it under the playfield.

Yes, I have been working on the machine quite a bit lately. Just got the GI working and just changed a shorted flipper coil. But the intermittant fuse blowing issue was there well before I did that. Also I don't think this fuse protects the flipper coils does it? I need to double check schematics.

Unfortunately it happens very infrequently. Say every 20-30 games or something?

The fuse in question is the underplayfield fuse. It is the only fuse directly under the playfield. Most of the rest of the fuses (if not all the rest) are on the cabinet powersupply and those are fine.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

see if any pairs of those solenoids trip the fuse.

Are you saying I should try to fire two coils at once? Is that possible?

#7 6 years ago

Measure the resistance of every coil. If you have one starting to short and could be drawing more than 1amp and blowing your fuse.

The way bally's software works, it is impossible to have more than one coil fire at once unless a driver circuit is failed (locked on coil).

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

Also I don't think this fuse protects the flipper coils does it? I need to double check schematics.

You're correct. After carefully reviewing the schematic - the flippers are NOT protected by this fuse.
Troubleshooting should still be pretty easy since now you only have to check six coils with no upstream switching - save for any components with loose connections/high resistance on the solenoid driver board.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

Are you saying I should try to fire two coils at once? Is that possible?

Not possible EXACTLY at the same time, but close enough for our purposes.

Quoted from Spybryon:

Haha maybe I should just pick up a 1 amp circuit breaker and permanently mount it under the playfield.

I pull those things out of everything I scrap out.

I have probably 10 of them.

If you needed a 2.5A, I would choose a 2A. Better to be smaller than larger, of course.

I often use a 5A in place of the 7A that system3-6 use and it never blows (unless there really is a fault).

If I did not have a 5, I might use a 3, but pull the GI line to lighten up the load while testing.

#10 6 years ago

I checked all the playfield coils and didn't find any shorted.

I ran the solenoid test. It was strange the knocker fired on both #4 and #6. I disconnected the +30vdc wires to the knocker and coin door solenoids. They aren't needed.

So far playfield fuse is good but haven't played enough games to be sure problem is gone.

#11 6 years ago

If a coil fires twice in solenoid test probably have one line of the encoded solenoid signal floating somewhere. If only the knocker is effected and everything else is working you can ignore it. Otherwise you have a connector issue on MPU j4, driver j4, or possible a PIA output pin floating from bad socket or its associated trace is damaged.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside