10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switchtestfrommanual.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I came across a Spy Hunter pin last week. It is in great condition considering it has been rarely used over the past couple of years. After fixing a broken connection to the speaker, it was ready to release to the kids. What a hit! After a couple of days, the bumper stopped working. After going over the playfield, I noticed a few other switches that stopped working. Here are the switches that are not working.

Bumper
"H" target (In SHOT)
"E" target (In AgentGK)
Left Oil Slick rollover-button

All of these worked normally and appeared to all fail at the same time. The lights for the targets are still lit.

I am new to this... and here's what I have done so far. I first checked the four switches for obvious problems, broken wire, etc. All look good. I then ran the self tests. During the self test, the bumper works.

The first time I ran the switch test, there was a stuck switch found. If was the rebound switch. The rubber was up against it. I was happy to find this and quickly adjusted the switch and rubber to fix the problem. After restarting, the problems remain. I ran the self tests again and the system reports no problems.

What other steps should I take? Are these four switches related somehow?

Thank you for any advise!

#2 10 years ago

Go here and download the schematics and manual.

#3 10 years ago

Print a copy of the switch matrix and go into switch test. Find switch #1 and test it. If it works highlight it and go to #2, #3 etc...

After the test is done you will have a map of the non working switches and you can start diagnosing from there.

Jason

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply!!

When going through the tests, I see the test that just shows if any switches are stuck. Are you saying I can test each switch separately? I have downloaded the manual and schematics. I had the manual but not the schematics.

There are many tests. I do not see in the documentation what each does. I was going by the simple onsight troubleshooting guide in the manual.

#5 10 years ago

In the manual, it will talk about pushing the button inside the coin door. The credit / match display shows you the test or adjustment number you are on. The number will only increase each time you push the button. So, if you pass the one you want to do, just keep pushing until the game resets back to attract mode and start over.

In the manual, it will tell you what number you want to be on for switch test.

When you go into switch test, there will be a number displayed on the other part of credit / match display, whenever you close a switch. The number will correspond to a switch number listed in the manual. Once you get the list of all non-working switches you can figure out what to do next.

#6 10 years ago

The one you want it right after the sound test.

switchtestfrommanual.JPGswitchtestfrommanual.JPG
#7 10 years ago

Great. Got it. I will will run through each switch and note each non working switch.

"H" target - 22
"E" target - 28
Left Oil Slick - 38
Bumper - 14

Looking over the schematics I downloaded, I see these are on different Jacks. The PDF is very hard to read.

#8 10 years ago

Problem found and fixed. I found a broken connection. A wire broke off at the solder on the Agent "T" switch. Not easy to find a broken connection like this. Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

#9 10 years ago

I'm glad you fixed it. I hope it was easier than you imagined it would be.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Machine - For Sale
Potterville, MI
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spy-hunter-four-switches-not-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.