• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lovef2k
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SpyHunter_Playfield_Schematic.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 3 years ago

I'm working on a Spy that has been sitting for 3 years. Was working prior. MPU led locked on. Cheap Squeak led also locked but will cycle when pressing red reset button. No sounds. I started with the test points on solenoid driver. Disconnected MPU. TP5 12VDC is running at 16VDC, should be 11.9 +/- 1.4V. Moved to the sound board. TP1 was 14VDC, should be 11V. Moved to power supply. TP3 reading 18VDC. I swapped out the rectifier board and got the same result on TP3. It should be 11.9 +/- 1.4V.

So is 16V enough to lock up the MPU and is 14V enough to lock the sound board? Should I be looking at the transformer? Do not worry about it and try another MPU? I have a spare with a NVRAM that has also been sitting 3 years and I don't want to risk burning it out until I'm sure the extra voltage is okay.

I appreciate any input.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

TP5 12VDC is running at 16VDC, should be 11.9 +/- 1.4V.

According to this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-star-trek-no-solenoids-working-help-needed-#post-5901794
16vdc is normal.

With the MPU LED locking on, should be looking at the eproms for bad pin to socket connections, and possibly the reset circuit may need work.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

According to this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-star-trek-no-solenoids-working-help-needed-#post-5901794
16vdc is normal.
With the MPU LED locking on, should be looking at the eproms for bad pin to socket connections, and possibly the reset circuit may need work.

Yeah I figure the reset section was bad, but I also thought 16V would have caused it. I had a xenon once that had an early version Alltek solenoid driver that was throwing out 17V and the sound boards didn't like it. So I'm leery.

#4 3 years ago

Oh and the game is doing other weird stuff. At power up, the outhole coil jumps. not a full fire but just a quick nudge. And some of the feature lamps are locking on.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

TP5 12VDC is running at 16VDC, should be 11.9 +/- 1.4V.

A high voltage at the solenoid driver board on TP5 is a function of the transformer.
While capacitor C23 on the solenoid driver board will raise this supply rail by filtering out DC ripple, it cannot boost it higher than the peak voltage the transformer outputs on this rail.

Make sure the transformer is configured for the correct line voltage.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

A high voltage at the solenoid driver board on TP5 is a function of the transformer.
While capacitor C23 on the solenoid driver board will raise this supply rail by filtering out DC ripple, it cannot boost it higher than the peak voltage the transformer outputs on this rail.
Make sure the transformer is configured for the correct line voltage.

Ah! You just reminded me of the jumpers in the Amp connector by the main fuse. I think that's where the setting is for line voltage. now I have to find the setting in the manual.

#7 3 years ago

Sometimes you need to smack yourself for being stupid. The empoms were missing from the mpu. I must have threw the board in the game when I was packing and getting ready to move 3 years ago. It's been so long since I did this, I don't even remember where the MPU came from. It does have the Bally/wms part number sticker attached so I got that right at least.

My first clue should have been the fact that all of the connectors were still removed when I first opened the head. Anyway, I set the trans jumper for 120V line voltage and got a slight reduction on the 12 circuit. Now reads 16.35V at the power supply and 14.45 at TP 5 sol board. So I was pleased w that.

I put in the correct MPU that Hibler fixed for me back then and I installed an NVRAM back then also. So game working now minus some switches. So now time to look at the connectors. My manual is a copy but a poor one for the switch matrix page as I cannot make out some of the switch names.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

My manual is a copy but a poor one for the switch matrix page as I cannot make out some of the switch names.

I have a manual here somewhere, will post a pic of the switch matrix in an hour or so.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

got a slight reduction on the 12 circuit. Now reads 16.35V at the power supply and 14.45 at TP 5 sol board. So I was pleased w that.

Are both these voltages measured with the solenoid driver board plugged in? If yes, you're getting a 2 volt loss across the cables/connectors between the rectifier board and the solenoid driver board which is a concern.

Below I've scanned the playfield schematic - hope this helps:

Spy Hunter playfield schematicSpy Hunter playfield schematic

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Are both these voltages measured with the solenoid driver board plugged in? If yes, you're getting a 2 volt loss across the cables/connectors between the rectifier board and the solenoid driver board which is a concern.
Below I've scanned the playfield schematic - hope this helps:
[quoted image]

Quench thanks for the scan, just printed it. Yes voltage tested with solenoid driver connected, so yes 2 volt loss. Time for some re-pinning

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yes voltage tested with solenoid driver connected, so yes 2 volt loss.

Guesstimate it's at the intermediate block connector in the head between the rectifier board and the solenoid driver board - two of my Ballys had an issue there on the 12 volt wire. I actually doubled the wire to two pins (used an unused position for the second pin) on that connector for better connectivity.

If you need any other page in the schematic scanned let me know - might have to do the lamp wiring page next since the the online schematics of that page isn't clear.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Guesstimate it's at the intermediate block connector in the head between the rectifier board and the solenoid driver board - two of my Ballys had an issue there on the 12 volt wire. I actually doubled the wire to two pins (used an unused position for the second pin) on that connector for better connectivity.
If you need any other page in the schematic scanned let me know - might have to do the lamp wiring page next since the the online schematics of that page isn't clear.

Thanks again for the scans. I might take ya up on that later. I'm no stranger to re-pinning connectors. I have done 7 complete games, down to the coin door 24 pin connector. 3 EBD, 2 F2K, a Flash gordon and a Star Trek. I love yanking out those IDC's. It's a crap ton of work but makes your game so much more reliable. The issue now is finding a source for the housings. The 24 pin 062 and the 28 pin KK are really scarce now.

Thanks for the tip using the blank spots to double up the wiring.

#13 3 years ago

I have more than 13000 of the 28-pin plugs right now.

But the 24 pin .062 connectors .... those ones are getting pretty rare.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

I have more than 13000 of the 28-pin plugs right now.
But the 24 pin .062 connectors .... those ones are getting pretty rare.

13k of the molex .100? nice

I only have about 12 sets of the 24's

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

825 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Machine - For Sale
Potterville, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spy-hunter-excessive-voltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.