You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191024_204206 (resized).jpg
20191024_204158 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi All
I did a search but didn't have any hits on this one. This is my first EM repair so sorry in advance about my lack of knowledge on this. I found what I think is a damaged area of what I think is called a stepper. It is actually on both of the steppers so I feel that this can't be that uncommon. Please comment on if this broken and does anyone reproduce these units. If needed I can make them but I would rather not reinvent the wheel as it were. Its the missing gears next to my fingers i think. When I activate both solenoids the unit resets but can only advance five or so clicks before getting to the bare spot.

20191024_204158 (resized).jpg20191024_204158 (resized).jpg20191024_204206 (resized).jpg20191024_204206 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

That's normal. It's supposed to be like that.

#3 4 years ago

Steppers with two solenoids can step both forwards and backwards and usually have some kind of mechanism to keep them from stepping out of the range they should step through. The missing teeth on your stepper gear is a mechanical way to prevent a stepper from advancing too far. Other steppers use limit switches which offer an electrical way to prevent stepping too far.

If your stepper can take only five steps after resetting it could be used for the ball count which in many games shouldn't go past five steps. You can make out the missing teeth in the video at:

https://www.funwithpinball.com/exhibits/small-boards#BallCountUnit

and see that if the stepper were to take a 6th step the wipers would reach places that aren't wired.

/Mark

#4 4 years ago

Wow That's a perfect video to show how all this works! well.. back to cleaning all
the contacts

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from chadsbrain:

back to cleaning all the contacts

Unless you're sure you know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend that.
This forum is full of posts from people who tried shotgun cleaning & adjustments, and caused more problems than they were originally trying to solve.
What to do instead: Slowly and carefully diagnose one problem at a time and then fix only that.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sprockets-damaged and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.