Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 154 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Springtime.jpg
    wherezmypix.jpg
    images.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

You probably already noticed on the forum home page: Pinside now keeps track of the threads you visit and when you last visited them, allowing us to show you when threads are updated with shiny badges .

This is something that I have really missed. It doesn't seem to work properly yet, but that may be just a question of time.

Well done !

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Could you elaborate on what's not working?

I'll have to do this by examples - it's getting late. (Actually, it's getting early - I need to go to bed...) ;o)

For instance, all the stickies are "unread". I have read several of them. I think this is taken care of whenever I reread one of them. I also think this applies to all the other posts.

Bottom line is I think this issue will take care of itself within a matter of days or however long it takes the user to revisit topics of interest. That's good enough for me.

One possible improvement would be that clicking on a topic title would take you to the first unread post (like what happens when you click on "N new"). If there are several pages of posts, it is more likely that I want to pick up where I left it than at the first post.

(When I said that "that may be just a question of time" I meant that this will sort itself out as the user revisits more and more topics.)

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:
    One possible improvement would be that clicking on a topic title would take you to the first unread post (like what happens when you click on "N new"). If there are several pages of posts, it is more likely that I want to pick up where I left it than at the first post.

I kinda wanted to leave that up to the user - wether to go to the opening post or to the last post. So I figured that most will click the new icon anyway. I mean, there has to be a way to go to the opening post and so doing it like this seemed to make the most sense.

My point in that respect would be that the title is much wider than the "N new" button.

We're used to getting to post one when clicking on a link, then click on the last page link, then scroll up to the last post we read. It seems very unlikely that somebody would want to revisit pages of posts they already read (from the front page). I suggest you make the new entry point equal to the first unread post. On the rare occasion that we want to read something older, we can get there manually.

#119 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

the_pin_family said:

Since we're using a google search engine(love that) is it still necessary to fill out the tag info?

I'm not sure, maybe someone more knowledgeable on the SEO subject could chime in? The 2.5 update puts all tags in the page's meta keywords (I think PinHog suggested this a while back) and I'm pretty sure Google uses these to determine what a page is about?

It is generally assumed that Google increases a page's score if it has keywords that reflects the textual contents of the page.

Good tags will increase the likelyhood of any page showing up at the top of the search results.

#121 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm sorry, really can't help you guys - there's no way I can find time to do IE6 or 7 testing.

That could easily have been a quote from the people who made IE6/IE7 around the time they released them.

#127 12 years ago

It would be better if the links under recent activity took you to the first unread post. Or to the last post if you've read it all.

Even better if you put "N new" buttons in there too.

#140 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

I wish we could sort by date in the search

It is possible, at least if you go to google and click the right options: http://www.google.com/#q=site:pinside.com+ac/dc&hl=en&rlz=1R2ACAW_enNO412&prmdo=1&tbm=dsc&prmd=imvnsl&source=lnt&tbs=sbd&sa=X&ei=c1VtT5bdFsP30gGZjMD5Bg&ved=0CA8QpwUoAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=2bc839420e12428f&biw=1543&bih=848

Or you could bookmark the above link and just change AC/DC to whatever you want to search for.

#141 12 years ago

It would be a good idea for Pinside to allow us to paste a URL and give a link text instead of the current automagic functionality that uses the URL as link text.

If that's a lot of work, the automagic link code could be changed to give an abbreviated URL in the link text, i.e. display it as [http:/www.google.com/#q=site:pinside...] but of course use the full URL when the link is clicked.

My previous post in this thread illustrates one of the reasons that's a good idea.

#144 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Actually that's possible. Simply type:

Pinside

No, I tried that for the above link and it doesn't work. It tries to take me to the abbreviated link.

Perhaps because I started my link text with http colon ?

Also, quoting your post with that description in it replaced your html code with a link in my quote - maybe another thing for you to look into.

#145 12 years ago

UPDATE+BUMP: I tried creating the link using regular text as the link text, and that works. I'll leave the long link in this topic so people will have an idea what we're talking about.

I think you should address several issues:
    - link text starting with http colon doesn't work unless the link text is identical to the URL
    - when I quoted your link format example, the example was translated into a link in the quote
    - if I quote something with a link that has link text, the link is lost and only the text is copied. This is different from the behavior when only a URL was used - in that case the link remains a link.
    Also note that me quoting you resulted in a translation into a link. If somebody quotes my quote, the link will be lost. Several levels of unintended translation going on here...

#148 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

When I edit my post, it completely erases whatever was in there.

I have not seen that. I just tried it, and the text is there to be edited like it used to.

EDIT: I inserted this text when editing this post.

I use IE 9.

#152 12 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

Is there a way to "Read All" messages or mark them as Read

I think that's a good idea.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spring-is-here-pinside-25-released?tu=pinhog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.