Billede 25-01-15 19.43.07.jpg
Billede 25-01-15 19.42.34.jpg
Billede 25-01-15 19.43.30.jpg
Billede 25-01-15 19.43.04.jpg
Billede 25-01-15 19.43.01.jpg
Billede 25-01-15 19.42.58.jpg
Billede 25-01-15 19.42.55.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hi, for some time my spring break was working as it should but every 10 game it would stop working. But if I pressed on the top of the control board (the y1/battery) it would boot again.
So I thought it was a loose connection. Today I took it apart and soldered places where I thought there could be problems. Now it will not boot at all
Can it be caused by the battery? Or can it be y1?(crystal) or what else should i do?

I am full of sadness because I took something that partly was working and now my machine is totally dead. All help are welcome! Don't know what to do...

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Hi, for some time my Spring Break was working as it should but every 10 game it would stop working. But if I pressed on the top of the control board (the y1/battery) it would boot again.
So I thought it was a loose connection. Today I took it apart and soldered places where I thought there could be problems. Now it will not boot at all
Can it be caused by the battery? Or can it be y1?(crystal) or what else should i do?
I am full of sadness because I took something that partly was working and now my machine is totally dead. All help are welcome! Don't know what to do...

Give a good inspection around the daughter card for the EPROM. That is a tough area to rework if there is problems.

#3 9 years ago

Should I check the EPROM if it is ok or the solder around it?

Thank you for helping.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Should I check the EPROM if it is ok or the solder around it?
Thank you for helping.

80B is notorious for reset problems resulting from solder around the daughter board proms as previously stated.

#5 9 years ago

So should I desolder the board to solder under it? Or is it where the board is soldered on the main? When inspecting the solder it looks like someone has allready soldered around where the daughter board connects.

No matter how hard and where I press the game will not boot. Nothing in my display and only gi.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#6 9 years ago

I would definitely clean that up either way. It is probably where you reset problems came from.

However if the game booted before you began soldering I would go back an check over ur work

#7 9 years ago

There's a bunch of information on pinwiki.com about this.

What you've got there is a fix to the wrong part of the problem.

You have to get the daughter board OFF in order to fix it. It's a single sided board and the connections are cracked on the pins on the underside (inaccessible side) of the daughter board. All 80B games have cracked connector pins on this board with exactly the symptoms you describe. It's broken, but you won't be able to see it until you unsolder the daughter board.

It is tedious work to get these boards off. You want to get all the solder off of the pins and have the board pretty much fall out. My soldering skills are OK and I messed up one of the boards I did this on. Patience is key.

I like the replacement boards that Great Plains Electronics sells. They are socketed so they can be disassembled for inspection, and they mount to two sockets on the CPU board for redundancy. They are double-sided so the solder points are less likely to fatigue and crack.

If you have a battery on the CPU board, get it off. If it is a DataSentry battery, it will already be leaking; if it is not, it will be leaking soon. This is a really good idea, but probably not why your game won't boot.

#8 9 years ago

Thank you very much.

Before I remove the board I would like to know if it could be the capacitor on the image? You can also see the battery, it has not leaked yet.

I measure 4.89v is that enough?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#9 9 years ago

I see at least 5 capacitors in that picture.

Seems to me, people have tried to help, and have given you the usual smoking gun on these - I'd concentrate on that daughterboard

That's not the battery mentioned above, that's a replacement battery from Radio Shack. I'd still get that off the board with a remote holder.

#10 9 years ago

You may have solved one problem and started a totally new one---this does happen.
Start at the basics-
Are you getting a good 5volts From the power supply?
Are the connectors in good shape?
You may also have misplaced a connector when reinstalling.
Have you done the ground mods?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I see at least 5 capacitors in that picture.
Seems to me, people have tried to help, and have given you the usual smoking gun on these - I'd concentrate on that daughterboard
That's not the battery mentioned above, that's a replacement battery from Radio Shack. I'd still get that off the board with a remote holder.

I was thinking about the big one on the power input CII?

Quoted from ryan1234:

You may have solved one problem and started a totally new one---this does happen.
Start at the basics-
Are you getting a good 5volts From the power supply?
Are the connectors in good shape?
You may also have misplaced a connector when reinstalling.
Have you done the ground mods?

I read 4.89v and I have checked the connector and it should have good connection?

#12 9 years ago

That battery on the board is probably original, not a replacement. That kind seems less likely to leak. Still, it should be removed. I have replaced these with the memory back-up capacitors and they work very well.

If the daughterboard has not been removed and re-soldered, it's not worth troubleshooting anything else. My working assumption is this: every time you move the board, you crack the solder joints more. So what starts out as a flaky problem turns into a consistent problem.

This ALWAYS happens on these games.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from ts4z:

That battery on the board is probably original, not a replacement. That kind seems less likely to leak. Still, it should be removed. I have replaced these with the memory back-up capacitors and they work very well.
If the daughterboard has not been removed and re-soldered, it's not worth troubleshooting anything else. My working assumption is this: every time you move the board, you crack the solder joints more. So what starts out as a flaky problem turns into a consistent problem.
This ALWAYS happens on these games.

Thank you.
It looks like some soldering has been done to the daughter board of you look at my first image or I can be wrong?
Still I can't see if the underneath of the daughter has been soldered.
I have tried to push the board and the main board with power on and nothing happens. It will not boot.

I will remove and solder the board on all yours suggestions. Just brainstorming here, is my voltage enough? Also could it be a bad rom?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Thank you.
It looks like some soldering has been done to the daughter board of you look at my first image or I can be wrong?
Still I can't see if the underneath of the daughter has been soldered.
I have tried to push the board and the main board with power on and nothing happens. It will not boot.
I will remove and solder the board on all yours suggestions. Just brainstorming here, is my voltage enough? Also could it be a bad rom?

Yes, you're correct -- soldering was done to the solder pads for the daughter board on the MPU. There are then solder joints under the daughter board itself & those are hard to inspect and the daughter board must be removed in order to rework them. Unfortunately that's also usually where the problems are. Be warned though, that board is a PITA to get out of there without lifting pads... even if you have proper equipment and experience, it can be hard getting it removed without causing any damage at all to the MPU.

This is why I was developing a different approach with a board that connects to the TC1 socket. I don't have any officially available, but I plan to get back to this project over the next few weeks and hopefully get a board order sent off. At first it may just be a bare-bones no-led type of board.. just something to help diagnose and/or use as a quick-fix for daughter board problems like you're having.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alternative-gottlieb-sys80b-piggyback-fix-plug-and-play-interest-check

I'd be willing to sell you one of the prototype boards I have for testing your MPU *before* you go at it trying to remove the original daughter board and take a chance of pulling up solder pads. I have a couple extra of the prototype pcbs that are just sitting around. I'd probably leave the leds off it. You'd just need to swap the game ROM out of the original daughter board into it & install it in the TC1 socket. This would at least allow you to confirm if the daughter board is at fault or if it's another issue on the MPU. When I get the official "PIGGYDEUX" boards made up I can offer you one of those for a discount to swap in place of the prototype. Let me know if you'd be interested.

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#15 9 years ago

To me the 4.89 is on the edge of being to low- most likely not the problem.(where were you testing it?)
Is the reset board hooked up? I would unplug it forever. (it is a little board above the cpu)
Try unplugging everything but the cpu and the display. See what you get.

Pinwiki is amazing!!!! ---- it is very helpful- Just search "Pinwiki 80B"

I think the soldering of the daughter board to the main board is done by hand at the factory and will look different than all the other solder on the bottom of the board. It could be original(just guessing) Soldering/fixing the daughter board is tricky- how are your soldering skills?

It could be a cracked solder joint anywhere on the board.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

To me the 4.89 is on the edge of being to low- most likely not the problem.(where were you testing it?)

I have unplugged the connector and are measuring on that, is it sharing with the sounds card right? Because that one is booting just fine if the MPU is unplugged.

Quoted from ryan1234:

Is the reset board hooked up?

Yes it is.

Quoted from ryan1234:

I think the soldering of the daughter board to the main board is done by hand at the factory and will look different than all the other solder on the bottom of the board. It could be original(just guessing) Soldering/fixing the daughter board is tricky- how are your soldering skills?

When looking underneath the daughter board it looks like there is plenty of solder. I know I can't see if there are any cracks before I remove it completely.
My skills are medium.

Quoted from ryan1234:

It could be a cracked solder joint anywhere on the board.

I have tried to inspect the board very very very closely but can not see any cracks at all? :-/

I just think it is strange that it will not boot up at all. When I had the random problem it would not boot when I pressed the daughter board it would only boot if I pressed the board close to the battery?

The reason I keep talking about the ROM is that I have had problems with my sound board not booting and that was solved by a new ROM on the sound board.

I have attached images of all I could:

Billede 25-01-15 19.42.55.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.42.55.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.42.58.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.42.58.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.43.01.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.43.01.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.43.04.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.43.04.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.43.07.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.43.07.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.43.30.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.43.30.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.42.34.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.42.34.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.42.35.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.42.35.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.42.38.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.42.38.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.42.40.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.42.40.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.42.43.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.42.43.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.42.45.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.42.45.jpg Billede 25-01-15 19.42.52.jpgBillede 25-01-15 19.42.52.jpg
#17 9 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

The reason I keep talking about the ROM is that I have had problems with my sound board not booting and that was solved by a new ROM on the sound board.

It could be anything.... it could be the daughter board.... but that is not where you were pushing to get it to boot. I just like to troubleshoot from the simplest first-- meaning cheap and easy.

Test for 5v right at the capacitor you were asking about earlier- you called it C11 (it is C1)
Test it when the mpu is plugged in.

Quoted from tezting:

I have unplugged the connector and are measuring on that, is it sharing with the sounds card right? Because that one is booting just fine if the MPU is unplugged.

Does the sound board light up when the mpu is plugged in?

Have you looked at pinwiki?

Unhook the reset board. You do not need it and it eliminates one potential problem

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Unhook the reset board. You do not need it and it eliminates one potential problem

Indeed. Disconnect until the CPU works, then replace caps and leave it plugged in. This system lacks a watchdog otherwise.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Does the sound board light up when the mpu is plugged in?

No, when MPU is connected the sound board will not boot (led blinking).

Quoted from ryan1234:

Have you looked at pinwiki?

Yes, I used http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80 a lot when I had problems with my soundcard and did ground mods. Are there a particular section you are thinking about?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

No, when MPU is connected the sound board will not boot (led blinking).

What is the voltage to the MPU when it is plugged in?

Quoted from tezting:

Are there a particular section you are thinking about?

It has a section on boot problems and power supplies. The first thing to check is the voltage going to the boards. It must be a strong 5V. Sometimes it reads 5v until you plug in the MPU then it falls off. This would be a bad capacitor in the bottom of the cabinet or the power supply is bad. I am not saying this is what wrong but it is really easy to check. Before removing and resoldering the daughter board, I would check this.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

What is the voltage to the MPU when it is plugged in?

Today I changed the cap to a new one on the MPU (See picture) and measured the voltage and gave it a little more so that I now have 5.05V on the plus side of the cap on the board. When I measure on the minus side I get nothing? That is correct behavior for a cap right?
I also disconnected the reset board.
Still nothing!

One thing I forgot to mention, when I disconnected the board in the first place to solve the loose connection. The sticker on PROM2 fell of and was exposed to indoorlightning for about 15 min before I saw it and put it back on. Could this be the problem?

What else should I look at? I tried to touch the piggy board a lot while there where power on the board, but nothing happens at all. I really don't think the problem is there but I don't know.

Quoted from ryan1234:

This would be a bad capacitor in the bottom of the cabinet or the power supply is bad.

I changed that cap for about 2 month ago when I did ground mod.

Billede 27-01-15 19.32.47.jpgBillede 27-01-15 19.32.47.jpg
#22 9 years ago

Please remove the battery from your computer. Fixing battery corrosion is painful and time-consuming.

Minus - side of the cap should measure 0 relative to ground, yeah. 5.05 sounds great.

I don't know why you think the problem isn't in the daughterboard. It's always the daughterboard. They always have cracked solder joints. When they do, the computer won't boot. The symptoms are exactly like what you have now. Even if the problem isn't the daughterboard, it's impossible to tell until it's been confirmed that it's not the problem. And it always sucks, because it's so annoying to work on.

I don't think that work looks factory, by the way. I don't have pictures, but the factory didn't tend to leave flux on it. I would wager that it's hobbyist rework, and it may have been that somebody didn't want to take it all apart, so they re-flowed the joints that they could get at easily. This won't fix the problem.

I really like these: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=140-101 It does two things: first, it mounts to two places on the computer, removing stress and adding redundancy; second, you can just take it off when you want to inspect it.

If you don't want to resolder these (and it IS quite aggravating, even if you have a decent desoldering pump), send it out, and maybe ask for one of the Great Plains boards to be installed.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from ts4z:

Please remove the battery from your computer. Fixing battery corrosion is painful and time-consuming.
Minus - side of the cap should measure 0 relative to ground, yeah. 5.05 sounds great.
I don't know why you think the problem isn't in the daughterboard. It's always the daughterboard. They always have cracked solder joints. When they do, the computer won't boot. The symptoms are exactly like what you have now. Even if the problem isn't the daughterboard, it's impossible to tell until it's been confirmed that it's not the problem. And it always sucks, because it's so annoying to work on.
I don't think that work looks factory, by the way. I don't have pictures, but the factory didn't tend to leave flux on it. I would wager that it's hobbyist rework, and it may have been that somebody didn't want to take it all apart, so they re-flowed the joints that they could get at easily. This won't fix the problem.
I really like these: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=140-101 It does two things: first, it mounts to two places on the computer, removing stress and adding redundancy; second, you can just take it off when you want to inspect it.
If you don't want to resolder these (and it IS quite aggravating, even if you have a decent desoldering pump), send it out, and maybe ask for one of the Great Plains boards to be installed.

I have to agree. The solder from gottlieb would have been clean. I thought step 1 troubleshooting 80B is the daughter board.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from ts4z:

Can it boot without any battery connected?

Quoted from ts4z:

The reason is that I can see someone has worked it and I also see he did a very poor job soldering the boards together. There is lot of solder between and I am afraid that by taking it off I will damage both boards.
So it is a combination of seeing something all ready done and afraid to make it worse. So just hoping there is somewhere else to look first.

What about my ROM question, could that be the problem?

I will follow all steps on pin-wiki today, but not the ones that require a logic probe because I dont have one yet.

EDIT UPDATE:
I removed PROM1 and measured connection on every input of the ic socket to where it should go and they where all perfect! If there where shortage or missing connection I would have seen it now right?

I also tested all 74xx and they where all fine.

After being on the bench for about 45 min. No ROM's are hot, nothing seems strange

How can I see if it is the quartz crystal?

#25 9 years ago

first get that battery off the CPU board. the date code on the battery is 1st week of 1986. so that battery is almost 30 years old! it's a freaking time bomb, ready to explode. get that off the board like now, before you do anything else.

disconnect all connectors to the CPU board except the power connector (left edge of CPU board), and the right most CPU connectors for displays. (Basically three connectors will be removed, the ones at the lower edge of the CPU board.) Remove the reset board connector (40 pin socket thing) at the top edge of the CPU board. Now power up and check the +5 volts. the power supply is adjustable, make sure it's 5.05 to 5.20 volts DC at the CPU board.

if all is good you'll see stuff on the score displays. (it might complain about the slam switch, that's OK, no worries.) If it's not booting, obviously you won't have any display activity. (this assumes the displays and display power is good.) If there's no boot activity, with the game on, gently "twerk" the ROM board on the CPU board. If anything changes (like display activity), then you have identified your problem. As others have said, the ROM board is problematic, and usually is the first thing to check when the CPU board is not working.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

first get that battery off the CPU board. the date code on the battery is 1st week of 1986. so that battery is almost 30 years old! it's a freaking time bomb, ready to explode. get that off the board like now, before you do anything else.

Will it boot without battery?

Quoted from cfh:

disconnect all connectors to the CPU board except the power connector (left edge of CPU board), and the right most CPU connectors for displays. (Basically three connectors will be removed, the ones at the lower edge of the CPU board.) Remove the reset board connector (40 pin socket thing) at the top edge of the CPU board. Now power up and check the +5 volts. the power supply is adjustable, make sure it's 5.05 to 5.20 volts DC at the CPU board.

I have 5.05v

Quoted from cfh:

if all is good you'll see stuff on the score displays. (it might complain about the slam switch, that's OK, no worries.) If it's not booting, obviously you won't have any display activity. (this assumes the displays and display power is good.) If there's no boot activity, with the game on, gently "twerk" the ROM board on the CPU board. If anything changes (like display activity), then you have identified your problem. As others have said, the ROM board is problematic, and usually is the first thing to check when the CPU board is not working.

No matter where and how i press the boards there is nothing. (no boot)

#27 9 years ago

Battery not required for boot. Check pin 40 of the CPU chip after turned on. Is it 5 volts?

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Battery not required for boot. Check pin 40 of the CPU chip after turned on. Is it 5 volts?

I am using a PC PSU for power as description on pinwiki.
I get 5v on the output but when I connect to the board it drops to 3.6v.
When I measure on leg 40 I get 0v.

I don't know if it is duo to the drop in voltage or if there is something else wrong?

#29 9 years ago

If pin 40 from the 6502 is 0 volt then the Reset is active and your CPU board will never boot.

The Reset circuitry consists of a delay circuit (to give the powersupply some time to stabilize the +5V) and an undervoltage circuit which kicks in at about 4.4 volts. If the +5V supply drops to 3.6V as you described the undervoltage circuit activates the Reset signal and you will measure 0 volts at pin 40 and the board won't boot.

A system 80 CPU board draws about 1 to 1.3A, your power supply must be able to handle this. You use an external power supply now?

Marco

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

If pin 40 from the 6502 is 0 volt then the Reset is active and your CPU board will never boot.
The Reset circuitry consists of a delay circuit (to give the powersupply some time to stabilize the +5V) and an undervoltage circuit which kicks in at about 4.4 volts. If the +5V supply drops to 3.6V as you described the undervoltage circuit activates the Reset signal and you will measure 0 volts at pin 40 and the board won't boot.
A system 80 CPU board draws about 1 to 1.3A, your power supply must be able to handle this. You use an external power supply now?
Marco

Thank you Marco, A had borrowed my machine out so it is located 1 hour drive from where I live. That is why I test with power supply now.
I just tryed another PC PSU, it says 5v and 2.0A and that one drops to 3.5v also?

I wonder, should the crystal look like this (it has a dent on top):

Billede 28-01-15 13.29.52.jpgBillede 28-01-15 13.29.52.jpg
Billede 29-01-15 11.19.10.jpgBillede 29-01-15 11.19.10.jpg

#31 9 years ago

I don't think the corrosion at the crystal caused it to fail. Does it rattle when you shake it? Then you should replace it but the best way to test the crystal is to measure the clocksignal with an oscilloscope or logic probe.

Your power supply issue can be caused by 2 issues:

1) your power supply is to weak

2) one or more chips are failing at your CPU board and draw too much current which cause the 5V to collapse (but you did have +5V with the normal power supply didn't you??) You can touch Z11, Z12, Z13, Z14 and Z15....If you burn your finger -> replace them. They buffer the switchmatrix and are sometimes blown by a problem under the playfield, in this case RIOT U4 is failing most of the times also.

Maybe you should try to find a technician who can test your board with a test Eprom. I live in Holland and that is a bit far away but there are several good technicians in the USA who can deliver a decent job.

Good luck!

/\/\arco

#32 9 years ago

Thank you Marco

Quoted from MarAlb:

1) your power supply is to weak

When I measured in the machine I got 5v. Just strange I have two weak PC PSU's.

Quoted from MarAlb:

2) one or more chips are failing at your CPU board and draw too much current which cause the 5V to collapse (but you did have +5V with the normal power supply didn't you??) You can touch Z11, Z12, Z13, Z14 and Z15....If you burn your finger -> replace them. They buffer the switchmatrix and are sometimes blown by a problem under the playfield, in this case RIOT U4 is failing most of the times also.

None of the Z gets hot. I have also measured all 74xx via the description on pinwiki and don't see any strange behavior.
U4, U5 and U6 gets hot, but not to hot to touch (around 40-45c).

Z27-Z32 is 5c hotter then the other (around 30c)

I am from Denmark and I don't know any who would like to help me here :-/

#33 9 years ago

if the 5 volts is dropping you have a shorted something (chip) on the board. (Pin40 of the CPU chip being 0 volts also means, as others said, there's a problem in the reset section of the board, which just adds to the problems.) At this point, since you seem to be struggling, i would recommend sending the board to someone that repairs system80 boards.

#34 9 years ago

U4 ~ U6 Always get a bit hot. You're welcome to send your board to Holland if you are unable to find someone who can repair your board. Just an offer

Someone in England also made a very nice redesign for the system 80B board:

http://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

#35 9 years ago

Thank you Marco, you might be my best solution!

I might have something here! I forgot to check A2 (7404N) on the PIGGYBACK, I did the same IC check from pin wiki but it gave me some strange result.
It gave shortage on leg: 3, 5, 9, 11 and 13 (had red on leg 7 and is on diode setting).
When testing on another 7404N on the board I dont have shortages there.

Have I found something or is there an explanation on it?

#36 9 years ago

There is an explanation for that: from the unused ports, the inputs (pin 3, 5, 13, 11, 9) are tied to GND to prevent them from oscillating.

Marco

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

There is an explanation for that: from the unused ports, the inputs (pin 3, 5, 13, 11, 9) are tied to GND to prevent them from oscillating.
Marco

DAMN IT!
For 5 minutes I was soooo happy because I thought I found the problem ((

What should I else look for?

#38 9 years ago

I am sorry

#39 9 years ago

I have removed the battery and there is no leaking at all.

What puzzles me is that it started as a periodic error that could be fixed by pressing the PCB close to the battery. Then I took the board off for the first time and now, dead!

It would be great if there where some suggestions for what I should test. So when I drive to the machine I can cross a few things off the list?

My List now has:
1. Change PROM1 and PROM2
2. Check if voltage is dropping below 5v.
3. Check if there is voltage on CPU leg 40.
4. Check if something gets hot.

But would love to have more things to test.

#40 9 years ago

I've had both bad PROM1's and PROM2's (especially NMC27C16B). When PROM2 is defective, often there is a message "PROM2 missing" at the screen. But your board isn't booting at all which *can* be caused by a bad PROM1.

It is very interesting what happens with the /reset signal at pin 40 when you apply a good working +5V powersupply. If it is still stuck at 0 volts you can isolate the problem to the reset circuitry.

If not the problem can be various....bad PROM1, bad RIOT, no clocksignal, .....

There has been working on your board before....maybe the previous repairman damaged a trace to the U3 (piggyback) socket. Not uncommon unfortunately (board hacks).

Good luck!

/\/\arco

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

damaged a trace to the U3 (piggyback) socket. Not uncommon unfortunately (board hacks).

I have seen that many times, it's NOT EASY work for not-experienced people

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

I have seen that many times, it's NOT EASY work for not-experienced people

I totally agree with you.

#43 9 years ago

I am puzzled... Removed the battery plugged the board back in and now it works!? Could it be that or did I just touch something else when putting it back so it now works?

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

I am puzzled... Removed the battery plugged the board back in and now it works!? Could it be that or did I just touch something else when putting it back so it now works?

That's awesome. Never turn it off again just keep playing. No honestly you probably touched something that brought it back. That makes me think that there is a crappy connection somewhere so at least your board is not dead. Is it still resetting?

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

That's awesome. Never turn it off again just keep playing. No honestly you probably touched something that brought it back. That makes me think that there is a crappy connection somewhere so at least your board is not dead. Is it still resetting?

I played for 20 min without a problem. But not enough time to be sure(had to drive home again). So there is NO way it could have been something with the battery? Before it was brought back to live if i pressed close to the battery?

If it is something loose I guess I must be the piggyback?

But damn i was happy when it started (and a little bitter for all the parts I have ordered)

#46 9 years ago

I wouldn't think so but maybe someone else will know for sure. However, there is nothing like that sigh of relief when it fired back up and you get that glimmer of hope that it will play again. I think that something has been pushed making the connection again. You aren't out of the woods yet by anymeans but at least it's playing again. Step in the right direction

#47 9 years ago

Great news!

You have a flaky connection somewhere on the board. Check the board carefully for cracked solder connections, or possible corrosion in the battery area. (I had excellent luck with that type of battery. I believe that after the mid '80s most of them were not so likely to kill the board so soon, but rest assured that they will do it soon.)

Batteries leak a corrosive gas, but if the board looks clean, that's great.

Or... stay with me here... it could be that pesky daughterboard has a cracked solder connection. Jiggling it has made it work. Jiggling it again may make it stop.

So be careful. Avoid any shaking, such as earthquakes or a big truck driving by. Do not nudge. In fact it would be best if you avoided any vibration, such as the pop bumpers, flippers, or the ball being kicked into play.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from ts4z:

Great news!

You have a flaky connection somewhere on the board. Check the board carefully for cracked solder connections, or possible corrosion in the battery area. (I had excellent luck with that type of battery. I believe that after the mid '80s most of them were not so likely to kill the board so soon, but rest assured that they will do it soon.)

Batteries leak a corrosive gas, but if the board looks clean, that's great.

My battery had not leaked at all and it was super clean under the battery. Also all components around it is clean. Really impressive when it is that old!

I have really looked with a loop for flaky connections but can not see anything that looks suspicious...

Quoted from ts4z:

Or... stay with me here... it could be that pesky daughterboard has a cracked solder connection. Jiggling it has made it work. Jiggling it again may make it stop.

I have tried to wriggle with it without any result but guess it could still be that board. I don't know what else it could be?

#49 9 years ago

the pinball gods have blessed you. stop doubting their presence and just bow your head in thankfulness that you have a working system80 game! those pinball gods look down on me everyday and throw lightning bolts at me. you should be happy that they took your case in sympathy and allowed your system80 to run again. it's a good day.... wish i had more days like yours...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sullivan, WI
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spring-break-will-not-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.