4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JimFNB
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“I'd prefer tournament payout structure to be... ”

• 1st 2nd 3rd- Top players only- Just the cream of the crop. 6 votes
      46%
    • Divisions or Flights are O.k. Let's give everyone a chance to win some cash. 7 votes
      54%

(13 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

I like how our league does it. We have 3 weeks of qualifying and 1 week of finals. Anybody whom participates in at least 1 week of qualifying gets to play in a finals bracket. Sometimes this means we go down to a D division. Top 8 make A, then 9-16 make B, etc. Payouts are identical for 1st through 4th place in all divisions. It breaks things up some and allows everyone the chance. The key here is NO RESTRICTIONS.

We also have a monthly event where we do 3 hours of match play and then top 4 make A finals and next 4 make B finals. Payout is split 50/50 for A and B. I've heard arguments that promotes sandbagging since there isn't a restriction but I've yet to see it. Maybe when payouts could be in the thousands (like Pinburgh) that's an issue but when your looking at $100 I don't see anyone trying to get in B.

For me it is the restrictions that drive me nuts and have ultimately drawn me out of competitive pinball for the foreseeable future (at least traveling wise). I'm an "A" restricted player. I've never won a major tournament and have only won local league type events periodically. I'm doing well to just qualify these days in the real events but am also told I'm to good to play in B. What drives me nuts is when I do qualify and I place 5th-8th in A then I turn around and see players equally as good (just play in less events) winning B and taking home more than double what I got for finishing higher in the event. Just doesn't feel right to me.

This, to me, is where there is a clearer line between "league play" and "tournament play". For league I say to spread the wealth but for tournaments, those should be more linear. As a player I just don't want to feed a pot that I have no chance in winning because I'm not allowed to play in that bracket and when you start adding restrictions or rules to create more randomness in winners for Tournaments you start to alienate a lot of people real fast (those that are to good for B but may never win as an A player).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spreading-tournament-money-around?tu=85vett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.