(Topic ID: 97986)

Spray painting flipper bats

By dhalem

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140723_100555.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I was thinking to spray some old bats gold rather than pay PDI's high prices.

Anyone ever tried this?

#2 9 years ago

You would want to use a plastic type paint for that or it would start to flake after time.

#3 9 years ago

I did on an old Bally Dixieland pinball EM....worked great. Not sure about the gold though. If it's like the 'looks like chrome' paint for cars etc. it always looked like crap imo.

#4 9 years ago

I use an automotive primer before I spray metallic gold on some plastics...I find a more uniform look and adhesion.
    I apply in several very thin light coats, with plenty of drying time, and usually end up with 2 to 3 coats.
    I then have used mostly a poly-acrylic finish in satin or clear, but thats personal taste..

I agree with Cash, above that it can look really bad, if it doesnt adhere, or it gets sprayed on heavier, or the way we expect a normal enamel to work.

I might suggest trying on a throw away bat, or a spare piece of plastic to get the "touch" of light spraying coats.

I have not tried flipper bats with this though.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I have the paint and plenty of old flipper bats, so I can definitely try it. I was just wondering if I was wasting my time

#6 9 years ago

I've light sanded them with 320/400 and sprayed rustoleum red and they are fine for the last 5 - 6 years.

#7 9 years ago

Forgot about that beep...absolutely, a light sanding helps adhesion a great deal!

#8 9 years ago

Need to light sand and alcohol rub too.
    Hi Art.

#9 9 years ago

So I have regularly painted flipper bats. You don't need to prime or sand. Clean thoroughly with alcohol and spray. Rustoleum metallic paints (gold, silver ,red, green, blue) all work great. They really don't flake. The ball hits the rubber not the bat. And any plastic flex from pressure in hitting the ball seems to hold up well.

#10 9 years ago

Mark, I think you may be right. Rustoleum has been changing, in my opinion, some of the paint formulas in wrinkle and Metallic spray paint. The cans and time I last did mine were maybe 8 years ago, and I know I used a product not made by them. Certainly this is a faster route....and Mark knows his stuff!

#11 9 years ago

I was making flipper bat covers that you could paint, I never really pursued it. You then don't have to pull the flipper mechanism. Maybe I could find a couple and send them to you.

#12 9 years ago

Three coats of Krylon "Plate Gold", going on my IMVE when it arrives today.
    20140723_100555.jpg20140723_100555.jpg

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from dhalem:

Three coats of Krylon "Plate Gold", going on my IMVE when it arrives today.

20140723_100555.jpg 104 KB

Make sure you allow for adequate paint cure times before adding them to your game. Just becasue its dry to the touch doesn't mean the paint has fully hardened.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spray-painting-flipper-bats and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.