Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by futurepinhead
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

The yellow habitrail in my Simpsons is peeling and looking rather beat up, but 80 bucks for a powdercoat is a bit steep. Looks like the only alternative is spray painting it, can anyone recommend a good, durable spray bomb from Lowe's or Home Depot?

#2 6 years ago

I do not think regular spray paint will hold up very well. If you were going to do it yourself for the cheapest money, I would go with a sign paint enamel. It is more wear resistant than a rattle can of paint.

#3 6 years ago

The paint will chip in no time and you'll end up with that crap all over the place

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I do not think regular spray paint will hold up very well. If you were going to do it yourself for the cheapest money, I would go with a sign paint enamel. It is more wear resistant than a rattle can of paint.

Even though sign paint is more durable, I still do not think it would last very long.

#5 6 years ago

I have light sanded, primed, sprayed 3 coats with drying time, and several coats of Polyurethane.
5 years, no issues with Home use on a WCS

I saw my game 2 years ago...meaning 10 years, since I did, and the paint had worn on the bottom rails
where the boll rolls most.

So the paint did wear, and did go some where, but 10 years was pretty good.

A quality urethane in a couple days drying between layers, with a good primer....

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

The paint will chip in no time and you'll end up with that crap all over the place

I figured it would wear after a while, but I didn't even consider that chipped flakes might get all over the playfield. Good call, I'll just leave it for now.

#7 6 years ago

$80 just for powder on a habit trail? That seems expensive. I think some places will do all the armor for $125

#8 6 years ago

The habitrail is the only part that's yellow, and the only thing I need to recoat.

#9 6 years ago

I had 4 BSD wireforms powdercoated fo $50.

#10 6 years ago

If you get that habittrail powerdercoated it should be $25 bucks.

#11 6 years ago

Talk to pinchroma here in the forum. I know he powder coats

#12 6 years ago

You just want the habit trail done? It's a tspp or de Simpsons?

#13 6 years ago

DE Simps. Just the yellow one, my green one is still nice.

#14 6 years ago

Don't do it. This will surely chip and flake over time.

^^^
From his pictures I think Alex can hook you up.. Pinchroma

I hear lots of good things also about Mike Chestnut. Forum search says this is contact info

hpugto@gmail.com

Good luck with project.

#15 6 years ago

Don't paint it

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Don't do it. This will surely chip and flake over time.
^^^
From his pictures I think Alex can hook you up.. Pinchroma
I hear lots of good things also about Mike Chestnut. Forum search says this is contact info
hpugto@gmail.com
Good luck with project.

Mike only does plating. And he's a master at it. If he wants it brass or chrome mike is great.

#17 6 years ago

I dont know if it was originally painted or a coating so I'm just wondering....would Plasti-Dip work? Thats the product you can use to dip the end of tool in for a plastic handle etc. It does come in spray also but not sure how uniform you would be able to get it. Just a thought....

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

$80 just for powder on a habit trail? That seems expensive. I think some places will do all the armor for $125

That is horribly expensive. There is a place near me. I had 4 Marquee trims (arcade games) 2 Habit trails and 2 misc parts powder coated and it was $75 and I thought even that was expensive.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

That is horribly expensive. There is a place near me. I had 4 Marquee trims (arcade games) 2 Habit trails and 2 misc parts powder coated and it was $75 and I thought even that was expensive.

It's not. You guys have no idea what goes into powder coating That one habit trail done properly is about 2-3 hours worth of work and about 10 dollars in material. So $80 is about right assuming the place is chem dipping, properly blasting, acetone bath, etc.

Also most places don't do just a single small piece because firing up the oven costs a tremendous amount of money. I wouldn't do a single small piece because the second i start the oven to bring it to 400 degrees for one small piece i'm already in the red.

Anyone doing the work for "peanuts" I can assure you is skipping essential steps and taking shortcuts.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's not. You guys have no idea what goes into powder coating That one habit trail done properly is about 2-3 hours worth of work and about 10 dollars in material. So $80 is about right assuming the place is chem dipping, properly blasting, acetone bath, etc.
Also most places don't do just a single small piece because firing up the oven costs a tremendous amount of money. I wouldn't do a single small piece because the second i start the oven to bring it to $400 for one piece i'm already in the red.
Anyone doing the work for "peanuts" I can assure you is skipping essential steps and taking shortcuts.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 21.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside