89 days ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 89 days ago by Garrett
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_140736 (resized).jpg
    20240415_140435 (resized).jpg
    #1 89 days ago

I want to paint the side rails on a couple of sterns I have as they are kinda dull. They are standard black side rails. Any recommendation on what kind of spray paint to use and what finish?

#2 89 days ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I want to paint the side rails on a couple of sterns I have as they are kinda dull. They are standard black side rails. Any recommendation on what kind of spray paint to use and what finish?

I've used this on legs and side rail trim armor.
    Spray one coat, wait 15 minutes or so and spray an additional coat. 48 hours to fully dry. Just did a set of Stern legs for refresh.
    20240415_140435 (resized).jpg20240415_140435 (resized).jpg

20240415_140736 (resized).jpg20240415_140736 (resized).jpg
    #3 89 days ago
    Quoted from chad:

I've used this on legs and side rail trim armor.
    Spray one coat, wait 15 minutes or so and spray an additional coat. 48 hours to fully dry. Just did a set of Stern legs for refresh.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Ohhh. This is just what I needed to see. How do you prep the pieces? Just a wipe down with alcohol or naphtha? Should I lightly sand before the wipe down?

#4 89 days ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Ohhh. This is just what I needed to see. How do you prep the pieces? Just a wipe down with alcohol or naphtha? Should I lightly sand before the wipe down?

I use a good cleaner / decreaser then Naptha wipe down. Let dry and you're all set.

Edit: I have used scotch Brite to rough it up a bit.

#5 89 days ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Any paint chips will show through the new coat of paint if not sanded down. Any uneven spots will show through.

After the first coat, if the surface is orange peeled you should sand that out flat before the second coat. Repeat if needed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.