Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Lovef2k
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P8300243.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I'm getting ready to spray the second color on my ST cab, the blue. The yellow and orange were easy to find, rustoleum right off the shelf. I didn't like any of the blues from any ready made rattle cans so I had a custom color blue made at a paint store. This is what they gave me for $24 a can! It has to be activated before use by pushing a plastic thing into the bottom of the can. I'm thinking this stuff may be very harsh. Might eat the stencils. Also How long does this last after activating? The directions on can very vague.

P8300243.jpgP8300243.jpg

#2 8 years ago

There are some guys around here that have used this with good results but I have never tried.

#3 8 years ago

There was a thread about using the spraymax clear coat a little while ago. Probably a good read for techniques and things

Found it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

There are some guys around here that have used this with good results but I have never tried.

What you're thinking of is the 2 part auto clear rattle cans. This is different. This is a system where the shop can custom fill a rattle can with paint. See here:

http://usa.spraymax.com/index.php?id=797

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'm thinking this stuff may be very harsh. Might eat the stencils. Also How long does this last after activating? The directions on can very vague.

What you have in there is basically the real deal auto paint. You're going to want to pay attention to the warnings on it and wear a proper respirator, you don't want to breathe that stuff in. I've used the 2 part auto clear from Spraymax, but not the paint. When I spray auto paint I use water based, not solvent, so I don't really know how hot that stuff will run on your stencils.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from r6emperor:

There was a thread about using the spraymax clear coat a little while ago. Probably a good read for techniques and things
    Found it:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club

I vaguely remember that thread, I was thinking this paint was along the same lines as the their clear coat. Looks like I'll have to do some test runs on scrap stencil pieces.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

What you're thinking of is the 2 part auto clear rattle cans. This is different. This is a system where the shop can custom fill a rattle can with paint. See here:
    http://usa.spraymax.com/index.php?id=797

What you have in there is basically the real deal auto paint. You're going to want to pay attention to the warnings on it and wear a proper respirator, you don't want to breathe that stuff in. I've used the 2 part auto clear from Spraymax, but not the paint. When I spray auto paint I use water based, not solvent, so I don't really know how hot that stuff will run on your stencils.

Will definitely use a respirator, even outside. I still need to know how long paint is usable once I activate the can...

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Will definitely use a respirator, even outside. I still need to know how long paint is usable once I activate the can...

I have no actual idea, but given that it's the same setup as the clearcoat, with an activated hardener, I'd say you should plan on doing all your spraying within 48 hours. And it may degrade after 24 hours depending on temperatures etc.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

I vaguely remember that thread, I was thinking this paint was along the same lines as the their clear coat. Looks like I'll have to do some test runs on scrap stencil pieces.

Once you activate the "two part" mixing by pushing the button on the bottom of the can, you have (according to the directions) 48 hours to use the product before it chemically hardens & will not spray.
    That said, I have used the clear & it lasted me at least 4 days before the spray can quit working.
    As has been said before, use this in a well ventilated area with proper respirator & eye protection. I would recommend a paint booth or detached shed or detached garage. NO WAY would I spray this anywhere near where the fumes could get in you house. It's nasty toxic stuff!

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Once you activate the "two part" mixing by pushing the button on the bottom of the can, you have (according to the directions) 48 hours to use the product before it chemically hardens & will not spray.
    That said, I have used the clear & it lasted me at least 4 days before the spray can quit working.
    As has been said before, use this in a well ventilated area with proper respirator & eye protection. I would recommend a paint booth or detached shed or detached garage. NO WAY would I spray this anywhere near where the fumes could get in you house. It's nasty toxic stuff!

Copy that! I do have a detached shed with a make shift paint booth inside. Going to hit the Lowes one more time to see if I can find a blue that I like for ST just to avoid using this stuff. I wish that the paint store I went to would have warned me about this. Till paint in Woodbury NJ

#10 8 years ago

Found that Rustoleum Deep Blue is a decent match for Star Trek. They are always coming out with new colors. I don't remember seeing this one when I was looking before. Anybody want to buy 8 cans of blue auto paint??

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Eight cans @ $25 each? Yikes!
    Here's a couple of options on respirators-
    amazon.com link »
    & cartridges -
    amazon.com link »
    OR cheaper --
    amazon.com link »

Thanks for the links. After thinking hard about it, I decided to take another look at off the shelf rattle cans and found a blue that worked with ST. Rustoleum "Deep Blue". Lesson learned, I'll try to stay away from the Spray Max, unless I do a pf clear coat someday.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spray-max-has-anyone-used-this-before and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.