10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by Tommy-dog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1026E282-8D25-4C8D-BC00-E39770BB7912 (resized).jpeg
    40C4D635-C784-4096-81EC-556CA70D1110 (resized).jpeg
    F39230C3-198D-45C2-8CB6-ACB7E9ABD748 (resized).jpeg
    17929D8B-A763-44B1-A704-73CDB1C0B1C6 (resized).jpeg
    BBD2B34E-2450-4DF0-8F9D-18A799761F94 (resized).jpeg
    BBD2B34E-2450-4DF0-8F9D-18A799761F94 (resized).jpeg

#1 10 months ago

I’m planning a shop addition and want to have a small room dedicated to spraying paint and clear.

What is the minimum size I would need for this room? I have limited space (due to a large tree). My air equipment will be housed separately outside of this room. Basically I want to be sure I have enough room to spray cabinets and playfields and maneuver about.

All general suggestions about building a spray booth are welcome!

#2 10 months ago

Mine is like 117” wide x 122” long x 92” high. Plenty of room all the way around a cabinet or playfield.

1026E282-8D25-4C8D-BC00-E39770BB7912 (resized).jpeg17929D8B-A763-44B1-A704-73CDB1C0B1C6 (resized).jpeg40C4D635-C784-4096-81EC-556CA70D1110 (resized).jpegBBD2B34E-2450-4DF0-8F9D-18A799761F94 (resized).jpegF39230C3-198D-45C2-8CB6-ACB7E9ABD748 (resized).jpeg
    #3 10 months ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Mine is like 117” wide x 122” long x 92” high. Plenty of room all the way around a cabinet or playfield.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I was going to say 10'x10' would likely be about right but it looks like you beat me to it. If you are not planning on using it all that often & don't mind working in close quarters 8x10 might work but it would be pretty tight. Anything less seems like a waste of time & space because it wouldn't be big enough for much. If you are planning on an 8x10 you want to be sure there is nothing else in the room but what you are painting & you. Maybe what ever you are painting on a table with wheels but nothing around edges for sure!

#4 10 months ago

My temporary booth is 8x10, and can get a little tight. If I were doing a permanent setup, I’d go 10x10.

#5 10 months ago

My only real suggestions are:

- Airflow from top of the wall on one side to bottom of the other. Needs to be forced ventilation or overspray kills your work. Ideally not box fans on the outbound air flow so you don't spark and have an explosion.

- Lighting is everything. Needs to have strong, bright, diffused light above the playfields. Next time I do one I'm increasing the power.

- Personally, I think air compressors sitting outside the room with a wall-based spring attachment for compressor hoses would be AMAZING. The sound in a small room would drive me insane.

- I regret not using a rotisserie for the cabinet. No amount of pressure/temperature control was able to stop runs and orange peel the way just spraying on a flat surface could. I'd do all my work over again only spraying flat. Maybe build that into your plan?

#6 10 months ago

Minimum of 3 feet of free space all the way around your work area.

#7 10 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Minimum of 3 feet of free space all the way around your work area.

I agree unless you are just doing it for very limited use. The more room the better if you expect to be using it all the time or a good bit but devoting 1/2 of a one car garage to a "spray booth" you intend to use once or twice a year seems like a huge waste of space. As first person to reply said 10x10 is about ideal but I think you could get away with an 8x10 if you put items you are painting on a rolling table and can move that table a foot or two during the spraying process.

One other thought would be to make "paint booth" bigger then have rolling shelving units you could roll out when you wanted to use the spray booth. (I use the wire rack style places like Sam's Club sell for my pinball parts). If I were to build a spray booth I only used a couple times a month I would store my parts (on rolling racks) in the spray booth when I wasn't using it for painting. That would keep my parts bins somewhere clean all the time and then before using the paint booth I would just roll the racks out into the shop and clean up the booth a little before spraying.

#8 10 months ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I was going to say 10'x10' would likely be about right but it looks like you beat me to it. If you are not planning on using it all that often & don't mind working in close quarters 8x10 might work but it would be pretty tight. Anything less seems like a waste of time & space because it wouldn't be big enough for much. If you are planning on an 8x10 you want to be sure there is nothing else in the room but what you are painting & you. Maybe what ever you are painting on a table with wheels but nothing around edges for sure!

Thanks for pictures. I like your raking lights.

I should have at least room for 10x10. I need to figure out how to build an extension off my hip roof next.

#9 10 months ago
    Quoted from jsa:

My only real suggestions are:
    - Airflow from top of the wall on one side to bottom of the other. Needs to be forced ventilation or overspray kills your work. Ideally not box fans on the outbound air flow so you don't spark and have an explosion.
    - Lighting is everything. Needs to have strong, bright, diffused light above the playfields. Next time I do one I'm increasing the power.
    - Personally, I think air compressors sitting outside the room with a wall-based spring attachment for compressor hoses would be AMAZING. The sound in a small room would drive me insane.
    - I regret not using a rotisserie for the cabinet. No amount of pressure/temperature control was able to stop runs and orange peel the way just spraying on a flat surface could. I'd do all my work over again only spraying flat. Maybe build that into your plan?

Good points, thanks! Ventilation is something I need to figure out. I can vent climate controlled air in from the existing building, need something near the floor to pump air to outside. Not yet sure what I should use as blowers.

I plan to build separate small closet-sized rooms in my shop to house my air compressor and my dust collector.

#10 10 months ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I agree unless you are just doing it for very limited use. The more room the better if you expect to be using it all the time or a good bit but devoting 1/2 of a one car garage to a "spray booth" you intend to use once or twice a year seems like a huge waste of space. As first person to reply said 10x10 is about ideal but I think you could get away with an 8x10 if you put items you are painting on a rolling table and can move that table a foot or two during the spraying process.
    One other thought would be to make "paint booth" bigger then have rolling shelving units you could roll out when you wanted to use the spray booth. (I use the wire rack style places like Sam's Club sell for my pinball parts). If I were to build a spray booth I only used a couple times a month I would store my parts (on rolling racks) in the spray booth when I wasn't using it for painting. That would keep my parts bins somewhere clean all the time and then before using the paint booth I would just roll the racks out into the shop and clean up the booth a little before spraying.

Yeah it’s tough to have that much space devoted to it. I think it will really speed up playfield restorations for me though since I could do a layer of fixes and quickly shoot a layer of clear as needed. Currently I have to build this temporary room with plastic sheets and fans and it’s just too much hassle. And dust. Good idea on storage. I would probably park some of my bigger tools in there, like my planer, bench grinder, anything mounted on a stand with casters.

#11 10 months ago

Video of a smoke test inside a professional downdraft spray booth

8 months later
    #12 51 days ago

There's always this, haha
    inflatable paint booth for $1000
    -mof

#13 51 days ago

Don't go too large because you will need to increase your exhaust CFM. Your exhaust blower needs to be explosion proof and all your lamp fixtures need to be sealed fixtures. Make sure your spray booth room is totally sealed and you have good seals on your door. You will also need to have an intake filter and exhaust filters. Your intake filters will pull good air from your main room and your exhaust needs to be on the opposite wall/ceiling. It is easier to do a cross-draft booth rather than a down-draft booth.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 279.95
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 24.00
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside