(Topic ID: 143659)

SPOOKY zaccaria in the house (now with UP converter install instructions)

By CaptainNeo

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lights_on_no_flash_2.jpg
lights_on_with_no_flash.jpg
phase_7.jpg
phase_6.jpg
phase_5.jpg
phase_3.jpg
phase_4.jpg
phase_2.jpg
phase_1.jpg
power_converter.jpg
spooky_020.jpg
spooky_017.jpg
spooky_016.jpg
spooky_014.jpg
spooky_006.jpg
spooky_005.jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

After a 5 year search. I finally landed a zaccaria Spooky. It has been the single most difficult game for me to find. Even more so, than miss world, which was only a year and a half search. But I got lucky and ran into the right contacts early on for that one. I only know of 2 of these in the US. And now I know why. Transformer isn't adjustable. It's 220 and 200 only. No step down even possible as the lugs are not even there. first time i've seen a Gen 2 game without the adjustable voltage "dial". Threw me for a loop. But here are the pics. It's in fantastic condition. One of the nicest original zacs I've had.

spooky_001.jpgspooky_001.jpg

spooky_007.jpgspooky_007.jpg
spooky_008.jpgspooky_008.jpg
spooky_009.jpgspooky_009.jpg
spooky_010.jpgspooky_010.jpg
spooky_012.jpgspooky_012.jpg
spooky_011.jpgspooky_011.jpg

#2 8 years ago

And here are some cabinet pics.

spooky_003.jpgspooky_003.jpg

spooky_019.jpgspooky_019.jpg

spooky_004.jpgspooky_004.jpg

spooky_005.jpgspooky_005.jpg

spooky_006.jpgspooky_006.jpg

spooky_014.jpgspooky_014.jpg

spooky_016.jpgspooky_016.jpg

spooky_017.jpgspooky_017.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Drool. That is beautiful. I'm jealous. Nice score!

#4 8 years ago

and the sound board is unique as it has a piggy back partner. Never seen that before either.

spooky_020.jpgspooky_020.jpg

#5 8 years ago

Beautiful game! It's a lot of fun to play as well.

#6 8 years ago

That's a big score.

#7 8 years ago

Congratulations. Beautiful pin.

How much do you want for it??

#8 8 years ago

well I'm always on the program as there is not such thing as not for sale. But as rare and hard to find this one is, and a zaccaria collector and lover such as myself. the price would have to be very high for me to part ways. Especially since it's so damn nice. Would be damn hard if not impossible for me to ever find another.

#9 8 years ago

Just kidding Cap! Sweet looking machine! I'd love to see some video when you get it up and running.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well I'm always on the program as there is not such thing as not for sale. But as rare and hard to find this one is, and a zaccaria collector and lover such as myself. the price would have to be very high for me to part ways. Especially since it's so damn nice. Would be damn hard if not impossible for me to ever find another.

How will you deal with the transformer issue?

#11 8 years ago

well, I have a spare farfalla transformer with the adjustable voltage. According to david G's site. I should be able to swap it in. So I got both transformers side by side, and was looking them over to make sure this was possible. Ran into several different issues. For one CN1 is the main connector that goes to all Gen 2 PS boards. It supplies all your voltages.

Farfalla has

White/green 6.3 volts
Yellow 10 V
dark blue 43 V
Brown 10.5 V
Red 165 V

But spooky has outputs as

White/Green 6.3
Yellow 10.5
Dark blue 48
Brown 10
Red 165

So there's that. Then the 9 pin incoming plug, is completely different. So I wrote dave to see what I can and can't do.

Other options were to buy this.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0022QOSDK/ref=mp_s_a_1_2
Up converter. Which i'm currently researching. Seems there are a lot of them that are wired wrong and a big batch at amazon.

My other issue is. Up converters usually double your voltage. US voltage is 120 these days. not 110. So it will upconvert to 240. I do not know if this will put strain on my transformer. So I have to ask my electronics guru's their thoughts.

#12 8 years ago

Knew it . Have fun with it!

#13 8 years ago

Congrats

#14 8 years ago

I have a stepper if that is what you need. Used it for several Zaccaria's in the day

#15 8 years ago

Congrats Neo. Can't wait to finally play one of these. Any chance you bring to MGC? Will be a no brainer for the "rare" contest.

#16 8 years ago

Are the pop bumper caps built into the ramp?
What a cool looking game. Congrats!

#17 8 years ago

I'd like to see the eyes (for the owl?) on the back box in action. Do they just flash, or is there more to it?

#18 8 years ago

Cool game, love the cabinet - congrats on finally finding one Neo!

#20 8 years ago

Beautiful game Neo!

Video required.

#21 8 years ago

If you wanted to keep the whole game, even the power cord, original; you could put a 220v outlet on the wall.

How cool would that be?

#22 8 years ago

Love the back glass. Can't wait to see a video of the owls eyes coming to life.

I don't think that 500w transformer is enough. What is the size of Spooky's main fuse? (located by the transformer)

#23 8 years ago

i'll have to check out the main fuse. It's the same as all zacs. 10 or 15 A I think. As far as the owl goes. I think he opens and closes his eyes. Not sure if there are 3 phases or only 2. Never seen or played one before. But I knew it was the hardest piece to get to get a full set of gen 2's.

And yes the pop caps are molded as part of the return bridge.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

10 or 15 A I think.

I can see in your photo it says 5A for 200/220/245vac. (10 or 15A would have been more than 2000watts!)

IxE=P
5A x 200v = 1000watts. A 1000w step up should do the job. I wouldn't worry about the 240v out of the step up transformer. It says it takes up 245v.

I don't have experience with those pins, but that is how I read it.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

and the sound board is unique as it has a piggy back partner. Never seen that before either.

Yes Spooky and Zankor both use this set of double sound boards. You have to jumper the board and use the right roms of course. I was able to get my Zankor working with a parted out Spooky sound board.

#26 8 years ago

parted out a spooky to save a zankor? Neither one should ever be parted out. Zankor will be showing up soon. Got one ready to arrive.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

parted out a spooky to save a zankor? Neither one should ever be parted out. Zankor will be showing up soon. Got one ready to arrive.

I didn't part it out, someone in Italy parted it out and I bought the boards on ebay. I saved a Zankor and he got money for the boards. I was lucky to find that sound board.

#28 8 years ago

Congrats! Never actually got to see one of these. Those colors just pop, I may need some sunglasses to look at that playfield! Good Luck with it.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I didn't part it out, someone in Italy parted it out and I bought the boards on ebay. I saved a Zankor and he got money for the boards. I was lucky to find that sound board.

I figured you were not the one that parted it out. I'm just saying nobody should be parting out either of those games. There has to be less than 50 of each of those in the world I think.

#30 8 years ago

Beautiful game. That's some of the coolest playfield art I've ever seen.

#31 8 years ago

Congrats bro!

I'll have to pay a visit again and not only drool over your Robot and Locomotion again... now this.

I still have to get you pics of my D.E. Batman playfield for you. Need your advice.

#32 8 years ago

your always welcome to come up and play. Just send me an email.

#33 8 years ago

Please update some photos of it in the archive. Beautiful machine

#34 8 years ago

I sent the photos to IPDB as well. We will see if they update it. They seem to turn down a lot of pics I try to send them.

#35 8 years ago

Too cool! Congrats on the score. I have wanted one of these for the longest time. Keep me in mind if you ever want to sell. It looks like it's in great shape.

#36 8 years ago

gorgeous!

I fell for those great art, unique rules and layout tables via the iphone app.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-ios-app

thank you for posting!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you wanted to keep the whole game, even the power cord, original; you could put a 220v outlet on the wall.
How cool would that be?

I have six Bally Wulff wall mounted slot machines. One was modified for the Global Gaming Expo (held in Las Vegas) Bally booth and has a 115 VAC transformer so that one is part of my pin circuits. The other five only have 220-240 volt transformers and the line cords for German/Europe (not UK) outlets. So, I installed a 230 volt outlet and have a German five outlet strip that the machines plug into.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

And here are some cabinet pics.

spooky_003.jpg spooky_019.jpg spooky_004.jpg spooky_005.jpg spooky_006.jpg spooky_014.jpg spooky_016.jpg spooky_017.jpg

Beautiful machine. I hope to be able to play one someday.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I have six Bally Wulff wall mounted slot machines. One was modified for the Global Gaming Expo (held in Las Vegas) Bally booth and has a 115 VAC transformer so that one is part of my pin circuits. The other five only have 220-240 volt Transformers and the line cords for German/Europe (not UK) outlets. So, I installed a 230 volt outlet and have a German five outlet strip that the machines plug into.

That is badass!

#40 8 years ago

I ordered a fancier voltage up converter that has a self regulating section to even out voltage spikes and what not. Figured I wanted something better in a game this rare.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

They seem to turn down a lot of pics I try to send them.

Can't blame em. I turn away from the pics you send me too...
Harr...Cap'n you've outdone yourself this time--AWESOME ! Possibly the coolest art on any machine ever. Man I would love to see yer Zacc's one day. Congrats Cap'n !

#42 8 years ago

don't lie, you know you save that shit as your desktop.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Can't blame em. I turn away from the pics you send me too...

I dunno man, knowing Neo he's probably sending you pics of topless hotties.

#45 8 years ago

Man I am seriously astounded that you actually found one of these. I've been drooling over this one for years.
Some Italian parting one out ?!?!?!
Face palm so hard I broke my nose...
Today you are my hero Cap'n. When can I come play that bitch ?!

#46 8 years ago

my house. After my step up transformer shows up. Hopefully this week.

#47 8 years ago

I really hope you post some videos of it once it's up and running.

#48 8 years ago

yea, i'll shoot some video hopefully this week.

#49 8 years ago

well my power converter showed up today already. Ordered that on monday and it's here already. found this place called 220-electronics.com. Like an hour away from my house in IL. but since I absolutely hate driving in IL. i decided to have it shipped so I didn't have to deal with traffic (see FB about my IL driving finger being messed up). Showed up and FINALLY got to play some spooky for the first time ever. Best sound package on any of my zacs. Once I get it dialed in and playing correctly, leveled and what not. I'll shoot some video for you guys.

This is the converter I bought. Decided to go more expensive, since this machine is very rare, and wanted to make sure my voltage is regulated.

power_converter.jpgpower_converter.jpg

#50 8 years ago

Hmmmm, this is a well known Spooky to me A tip for Zaccaria owners: if you are experiencing the flippers are a bit weak, there is an easy way to increase the power of the flippers. Replace the return spring in the flippermechanisms by one which is less strong, or shorten them a bit. Zaccaria used very strong return springs which are absorbing a lot power generated by the coils. Nice Spooky and the sound is indeed cool!

Marco

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-zaccaria-in-the-house-finally-after-5-years and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.