IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #370 Offer to assist Spooky solve order issues from someone with skill. Posted by TechnicalSteam (2 years ago)

Post #743 Spooky podcast interview July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Post #1315 Math on build dates. Posted by Morinack (2 years ago)

Post #1527 Link to Franchi podcast Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #1868 Still a few CEs available with distributors. Posted by KingPinGames (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

What the hell is Ultraman ???!!

It's my next pinball machine purchase from a great company that doesn't have PF issues.

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

Anybody know what the plan is for production on each title?
Will Halloween and Ultraman be manufactured at the same time, or will they make Halloween first before Ultraman?

Same time

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

This is going to be a test of buying power in the market. GnR and Mando selling our CE/LE respectively almost immediately.
I’m not sure what’s going to happen with these. If they sold 550 TNA over months on months yet if they sell 500 Ultraman or 1250 Halloween in one day that’ll be very impressive.
I’m likely going to pass until I can play and hope to get someone’s early pre order if the bail out later on.

I don’t expect them to sell all 1,750 units in one day

#123 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

This one means a lot to my family. Extremely special! Can't tell you how thrilled we are that there are more fans out there, and maybe we'll make a few more.

You just gave the flippers a stroke.

You just made people who want to own this game to play it very happy.

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:What the? Never heard of ultraman. Maybe the most rediculous title I have ever heard of.

Well, which is it? Have you heard of it or not?

#244 2 years ago

Quality pictures don't appear to be Spooky's strong point.

#260 2 years ago

That's just plain bad ass!

#329 2 years ago

Spooky's site already crashing. lol

#334 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I got 1 in my Cart but.......

That's as far as I could get too

Looks like UM CE already sold out?

#475 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Big congrats on another sell out Spooky! Ultraman sold out even faster than Rick and Morty...incredible.

It's sold out only on Spooky's website. Distributors still have spots available.

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Ah, yes, I see the distros still have some. Good, more opportunity for people.
Did you go for a Ultraman?

I did.

I tried to get one early on, but the site kept crashing even after having it in my cart and giving the CC info. I basically gave up and resigned myself to waiting this one out, then I received a notification that my order actually went through.

I am pretty far back in the line though, so I will definitely be waiting a while.

#570 2 years ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

Wow, can't believe the amount of money being thrown around on a pin that no one has flipped once.
#peakpinball

Are you new here?

#576 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

They are going to build 1250 Halloween pins before they start on ultraman, spooky has said this in a few different places, it’s going to be a while

Wrong

#593 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

First time dealing with a distributor (pinball star). Can I send them payments along the way instead of getting hit all at once? Thanks.

I'd be surprised if a distributor said "no way, I don't want your money!"

#679 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I was excited about the layout when I saw the Halloween trailer.
I was excited to buy the game after I saw the Ultraman trailer.
I definitely would NOT be buying this game if it was just Halloween. Not because I don't appreciate the theme, it's just not something I'd spend 8k-11k on.

I can promise you that Spooky would have had one less sale (mine) if Halloween was the only theme released.

#686 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

One wicked laugh.

This is the kind of stuff I can't wait to hear when I play this sucker!

#689 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Never heard of ultraman, so this is like a non-licensed Japanese camp pin to me. I couldn't ask for more!
I watched a couple YouTube vids of ultraman after my order, and it is going to likely be my favorite theme of all time, and I'm barely familiar with Japanese camp. I just know that I like it for pinball.
Halloween? I see enough glowing pumpkins in October... Movie isn't that great imho.

I agree on all counts. I mean I am not a huge horror fan anyway, but even if I was, I don't see the original Halloween as being a great theme for a pin since Michael Myers doesn't talk, so obviously no call outs from him.

By contrast, there is definitely some nostalgia involved when it comes to Ultraman, and the campiness is fantastic.

#697 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

For those who want to get up to speed on all things Ultraman. Today, Sat July 10'th, is the Ultraman Ultrathon. Tons of episodes streaming today online or via the Shout Factory streaming channel in celebration of its 55'th anniversary.

Too cool! Thanks for posting that.

#707 2 years ago

I never get tired of watching this!

#723 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Sensible advice, but I would argue that "butter" is a rare and currently unrecognized feature that makes the game very "LE". I know I "paid up" to get my R&M with butter and believe this will be true for other buyers as well. In other words, for 1k, I think it's a sound investment for games that might not stay forever in your collection.

One could easily argue the exact opposite. I.e, if you sell your Ultraman on the used market, you are limiting the number of potential buyers, because there will be fewer people wanting to pay the premium for that butter cabinet.

In your particular situation, though, I would go for the butter cabinet (assuming that you can put this where you currently have your R&M, where you can see the cabinet, or similar spot). The artwork on this pin is just as good as R&M imo.

#735 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I guess you could argue whatever you'd like, but more buyers doesn't translate into better resale. Look at the LE/CE market...it's exploded. Sure, there are fewer LE/CE buyers, but the buyers chasing the LE/CE games have deep pockets and want the rare, most beautiful examples of these games. That was my point.
Most games are in a lineup, yet sellers get hammered for "players condition" cabinets with imperfections. Most people that desire HUO games in "mint" condition care about quality, and butter is the highest quality cabinet in the entire pinball industry.

Got ya, that makes sense.

#767 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Charlie said it could be done theoretically and he might even be curious to try it on his own game. He also said if you do it and you fry your game your SOL for support.

Yeah, I read Charlie's post where he said this.

My question is why would there even be a risk of it frying the game? Exact same coils, switches, etc...

#842 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Don't miss them on Shadow or No Fear.
Not all games need them. Just gives you more room to do something else, and HalloMan defintely seems to be using the extra real estate.

Don't miss them on Rick and Morty either.

Yes, I know R&M technically has a pop bumper, but it really just acts as a slingshot.

#878 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Heads up that Joe at pinballstar has two CEs and one BSE left.
Finally gave in and ordered a UM CE to go with HWN CE. Joe said he can space a CE out to the very end, which sealed it for me.

I wonder how the distributors decided on how many CE's, BSE's and standard editions to buy? Also wonder if they could change a spot later, for example switching out a standard for a CE?

#884 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

The customers determine how many of which edition. Joe just has to allocate inventory to his paypal system. Even though he shows a CE, if a customer wanted to order a standard, they could. On release day, he explained this and said if the edition you want is out of stock, order a different one and then email and he'd fix it.

This makes sense to me, but what does not make sense then is why he would indicate that he has "2 CEs and 1 BSE left" ?

#930 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

...and we haven't even debated knockers yet....

There is no debate about knockers.

Everyone loves them.

#934 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I still have no idea who Ultraman is, time to do some research. However, when I asked a friend if he knows who Ultraman is he immediately spun around and did one of these lol!
[quoted image]

That's classic!

#944 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

There's like a year of production for just the CEs between these two games.

Funny, that's exactly the timeframe that I have estimated as well.

I know that I am going to be near the bottom 25% based on when my order went through, so I am just going to estimate a year for delivery of my UM CE.

#946 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

As a BSE buyer, let me assure you that my heart bleeds for your predicament.
This is going to be an interesting experience. I'm not even sure if I WANT to see gameplay and rules breakdowns, or just be surprised when it eventually shows up. I'd really hate to pysch myself out on an early video, sell my spot, and then regret it later. I've never had to wait this long for a game before. Only my 4th NIB in my 10 years or whatever, but used to Stern and 2-3 months tops.

Ha!

Again, couldn't agree with you more. That is *exactly* how I feel. Definitely a big part of me that questions whether I really want to see the gameplay videos. And by the time we get ours, there are going to be a ton of them out there. And this will be the longest that I have ever waited for a pin as well. Not even close.

I have own R&M and owned TNA, but I bought R&M second hand, so zero wait, and the TNA I bought someone's spot who was in early, so that wait was only a couple of months.

The psychiatry of this is interesting. I keep watching the reveal video and it really keeps me excited, but there is a part of me that thinks I might eventually be better off almost forgetting about the game to make time go by faster.

Bottom line: as of right now, I am still very excited about getting this pin...eventually.

#948 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

I am curious how the builds will run with HWN vs UKR. Will it be X% of floorspace for each or waves? This is a bit of a logistical puzzle for them to deal with.

I have wondered about this as well.

It doesn't really make sense that they could build, say 3 Halloweens, followed by 1 UM, then another 4 Halloweens, then 2 UM etc just because that's how the orders came in?

But if they do it in waves, I can already imagine people on Pinside bitching that someone got their pin before they did, even though they had a lower number.

#950 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

Even if everything is equitable, people gonna bitch.

True dat.

#952 2 years ago

While I have faith in Spooky as they have always lived up to their estimates, I do wonder how this is going to work out. 1,750 pins is a LOT more than 750 (Rick and Morty). It took about 18 months to finish R&M, but now they are saying that they can build more than twice that many games in the same amount of time, with the goal of actually making them all within a year?

That means serious expansion in terms of tooling and employees. I just hope that quality control doesn't suffer, especially since that has not been their strong suit to begin with.

#958 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Patients is key.

Well, I'm not a medical doctor, so I have no patients.

#964 2 years ago

Did you read the first 4 words of my post that you replied to?

#970 2 years ago

For clarification, I most definitely plan on watching the video that Spooky is eventually going to release of gameplay. What I am not going to do is watch video after video of gameplay and rules analysis when people start receiving their pins. I do not want this game to feel familiar when I receive it. I want to be surprised.

#996 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Report back if they actually let you. Some people were saying in other threads this wouldn't be allowed....but hey, thanks for making my BSE rarer.

And take longer to get.

Seriously though, I admit that I actually like the powder coating on the BSE better than the CE

#1008 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

92 (Both + UCE) / 17 (UBSE) = 5.4 : 1 for Ultraman CE-BSE (Not including standards)
185 (Both+HCE) / 25 (HBSE) = 7.4 : 1 for Halloween CE-BSE (Not including standards)

Math and shit

#1019 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Will they keep that ratio once they finish ultra man CEs? Will I get my SE ultraman before the last Halloween CE?

No.

#1026 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

PinballSTAR Update -
We still have 1 Ultraman SE and 2 Ultraman LEs available...
Email [email protected] or use the link in our email blast of Wed 7/7... If you don't have the email blast - email us to get it...
Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements

LE?

#1033 2 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Spooky did the right thing just having 3 models and making each one at a time. Just think how much easier that makes producing them which means we get them quicker to our house

Plenty of people actually wish that they stayed with the 2 tiers (standard and bloodsucker) instead of 3.

#1037 2 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

That would of been fine. My point want just as long as it’s not a la carte which slowed them down in the past. Much easier to pump out pins when BOM is the same for each model and ran together

Yep, you are right, and I did not mean to imply that your point wasn't valid, so sorry if it came across that way.

#1151 2 years ago

UM CE #184 direct from Spooky.

This is actually lower than I expected, so I am pleased.

#1154 2 years ago
Quoted from tlsbryan:

Ultraman#39 CE location game-
Southland Lanes
Middleburg heights Ohio

Very cool putting this on location!

#1167 2 years ago
Quoted from Gnomesain:

Just got my (Ultraman CE) number:
163!
From my math that makes it (roughly) the 327th machine built (if it is 2 Halloween per 1 Ultraman),

Math is far from my strongpoint, but...

Wouldn't you be closer to the 486th machine built?

162 UM CE's before you, and double that number of Halloweens before you?

#1168 2 years ago

#1175 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

#393 far down the line, direct. I switched computers in the midst of the chaos that ensued. I bet I had #1 in the cart on the first computer.

I'm sure that almost all of us thought we had #1 in the cart.

#1220 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

CE #350 from PinballStar. My order went through at about 9:40am, for context. A pretty satisfying round number so-to-speak, and about perfect position for me. I'm guesstimating at least 6 or 7 months before delivery for numbers in that range.
I'm in the 80's for a Fathom ME, and I'm hoping to space out the final bills on them.

Not sure how you estimate 6-7 months?

349 UM CE's before yours, and twice that many Halloweens before you. That' puts you past the 1000 machines built mark. At 100 pins a month, you are looking at 10-11 months.

#1267 2 years ago

Seeing that artwork on the cabinet gives me the warm fuzzies

#1276 2 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Seeing that artwork makes me consider if butter is the way to go.......looks fn sick..........nice pics Gambeno

I had the exact same reaction

#1279 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Apparently, Nick Lane is not in line for an Ultraman.

I won't watch the video (don't care for them) so can you give us a summary?

#1292 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Calling what Spooky is doing amateur hour just because they had a ball fall through the apron into the cabinet when streaming R&M. Reminds me of that douche that wanted to return his ACNC because the coin door lock arm fell off or wasn't installed at the factory.

Just further reinforces my opinion of them. Thanks

#1352 2 years ago

Flippers definitely look nice and snappy.

Want to see more of the upper PFs in action.

I like what I see so far

#1405 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Haha good to see on a set up game that the lifters don't slow down the ball enough to let it just come to a trapped position by holding the flipper up. Gonna have to nudge it over to the other side or flip it away...maybe can get a tap and have it roll down the sling if they're not set super sensitive, but you have to do SOMETHING.

I was pretty confident that this would be the case based on my experience with R&M. Obviously it's not exactly the same, but still pretty similar in terms of how the ball is fed from the subway on the left.

#1406 2 years ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

Got to play twice today. I had no real clue what I was doing but it game looks amazing and it felt great to shoot. It’s going to take some time to get used to where the ball exits after hitting certain shots. Both times I drained were because I was watching an area where I thought the ball was going to exit and then it would come from somewhere else and drain before I even noticed it was there. I got to one multiple ball mode which was fun. Overall I loved my brief time and I’m really excited to get my game soon.

Can you give us your impression of the LED strips on the upper PFs? I know you weren't in a dark room, but any concerns with them blinding the player?

#1414 2 years ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

I honestly didn’t even notice them. I think that’s a good thing. I’m sure they added to the overall experience but didn’t stick out to the point where I was wondering “what’s going on with these lights?”. I was talking to one of the guys from Spooky and he did mention that he wished the room was a bit dimmer so people could better see all the lighting in the game.

Excellent, thanks for the feedback

#1424 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This game does not have a DMD.

I want a refund!

#1532 2 years ago

#1538 2 years ago

My neck!

#1577 2 years ago

Too many Pinsiders just like things to complain about

#1587 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Yeah yeah hes your buddy. Its still a crappy play

I really love Pinside sometimes.

I’m really not sure what I get accused of more? Being a Kaneda basher or a Kaneda fanboy?

#1624 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Who cares what Kaneda got?

Pinsiders who love to bitch.

#1688 2 years ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Ultraman about to staaaaaaarrrttttttt YES! Got to say I was really impressed with HWN. The music and callouts were great imo, I'd happily own one.

No offense to HWN owners or those who liked what they saw, but my opinion is opposite of this.

I am extremely happy that I went with UM over HWN. I think UM looks better than HWN, and I think the sounds on UM are also notably better. Just personal opinion, but I really think that UM lends itself to pinball much better than HWN.

So far, really happy with my decision.

Hope they get the technical issues resolved quickly so I can see more gameplay.

#1691 2 years ago

So happy that this made it into the game!

#1733 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

The original video source may be so low res that they found keeping it small may be the only way to make it look reasonably sharp. Just a thought.

Definitely part of it. Also, the original aspect ratio is 1:33 for television, so making it fill the entire widescreen format also presents issues.

This was always going to be something that they were going to have to address. I thought the filler images that they had on each side of the 1:33 aspect ratio was pretty good.

#1739 2 years ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

You could put a wanted-to-swap ad up, I reckon there'd be at least one person willing to switch to Halloween....

Yeah people do crazy crap all the time!

#1748 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Being a huge Ultraman fan (I saw many of the series when they originally aired in Japan, while living there), I’ve purchased the Tsuburaya Steel Book series that are all remastered in Blu-ray, which Spooky surely has access to and the ratio looks very good in a 4:3 aspect ratio. It fills my 65” OLED but does have black bars running down left and right side, since its not 16x9.

You just made a contradictory statement.

The Blu-ray most certainly does *not* "fill your 65" OLED" because it is 4:3 aspect ratio, while your OLED display is 16:9.

That's why you have the black bars running down the left and right side, to "fill" your screen. Where those black bars are is pretty much where Spooky has added the other images.

#1779 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:No contradiction at all. Here is the evidence plain to see that the screen is filled in the 4:3 aspect ratio, having the black borders on left and right just as stated.
[quoted image]

lol

You actually proved my point. Your screen is NOT "filled" with the 4:3 aspect ratio! You know why? Because your screen is 16:9 aspect ratio. That's why you have the black bars on the left and on the right (to "fill" the area that is not filled with the original image).

I don't understand how someone who supposedly does a lot of video editing doesn't understand this.

#1780 2 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Thanks for building that ... my date was around what I expected
#191 - delivery around mid Jan[quoted image]

Ha!

Perfect. I am #184, and I have been telling people I expect mine around mid to late January. This is spot on.

#1783 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

You keep on saying the same thing. I’ll say it another way so you may finally understand with your limited viewpoint. 4:3 ratio part of the screen is sectioned off via software on a 16x9 screen and in that area is filled top to bottom. We all know it’s a 16x9 screen hence the reason stated it has black bars on the sides. Do you finally understand buddy? Never claimed 16x9 screen is completely filled. Get off it…(sheesh, why is this so important to you? Lol)

I could say the same thing to you.

You are the one that kept insisting that the image filled the screen...when it does not, as you finally admit above.

#1815 2 years ago

Are you trolling us?!

WRONG THREAD!

Edit: I'm blind. I see some UM CE's in the back!

#1817 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

There are Ultraman's at the end of the line up.

Damn dude, I edited my post 20 seconds after posting and you still beat me. lol

1 week later
#1854 2 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Who doesn't like butter?
[quoted image]

Can't tell anything from that pic

1 month later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Arabi, LA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, KY
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 28.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 13,500.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-ultraman?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.