IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #370 Offer to assist Spooky solve order issues from someone with skill. Posted by TechnicalSteam (2 years ago)

Post #743 Spooky podcast interview July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Post #1315 Math on build dates. Posted by Morinack (2 years ago)

Post #1527 Link to Franchi podcast Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #1868 Still a few CEs available with distributors. Posted by KingPinGames (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#2522 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I've definitely though about jumping ship and looking into a Godzilla. My son thinks we should stick with Ultraman due to it's (perceived) rarity.

Thunderbirds is SUPER RARE and was going for less than $3000 used the last time I saw one. Don't confuse rarity with desirability. Get the game that makes you happy.

#2526 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ultraman turned off is a better game than Thunderbirds lol

I still haven't had hands on with a Thunderbirds, but it was basically just an example of rarity not translating into desirability. It's not the only pin like that (but probably the worst one from what everyone says).

#2530 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

If it is coded to the equal of R&M/Batman66, with lots of show material content with Ultraman story lines and Kaiju battles, Ultraman will be a winner.

Well, first things first - that weird art border thing they're doing around the video clips has to go. Doesn't help anything at all and just wastes about half the available screen. There can be no success without addressing the elephant in the room, first.

#2551 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I was really bummed about Thunderbirds - loved the show as a kid. But the pin is basically just a center ramp. Walked away mid-ball after five minutes.

It's become so legendarily bad, I'm looking forward to being disappointed when I eventually get hands on it.

#2552 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

There's one reason and one reason only why UMs are selling for less than the original price and it starts with G.

I was thinking more of a F minor.

#2576 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's not bad, but even someone that tolerates Smash Mouth like me is going to get utterly SICK of hearing that stupid song. That's the worst thing about Shrek, hands down. Way worse than a well-tuned Donkey/Stewie mini-pinball. Also, I'd argue that the mini-pinball is much BETTER than things like the stupid lower playfields like on AC/DC where you have 3-4 standups and maybe an orbit if you're lucky. Even TSPP managed to fit a small ramp and ball lock on an upper playfield, but lower playfields in general are just TRASH. The only great ones I can think of are Elektra and Black Hole.

I'd take an AC/DC lower PF with a full-size/full weight pinball all day over a Shrek/FG/Munsters one with a mini ball. I *hate* the ones with the tiny balls because the physics are just completely messed up and it's not fun.

#2582 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Well, I guess it's a good thing that Stern agrees with you then, since they've never used that concept since, and I very sincerely doubt we ever will see it again. Personally, I'd throw BOTH of them in the fire as "things that should probably never be done ever ever again in pinball", but if I have to save one kill one.... I'm saving mini-pinball for that specific game ONLY. Fire for the rest.

Well, for the record, I'm not a fan of mini-lower playfields in the first place. If you're going to do it, make it a big lower one like KRULL with a full size pinball. For mini upper playfields, JJGnR is one of the better implementations. It's not an afterthought, and key to the game.

#2608 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

ps
this thread has 53 pages, the halloween thread has 32. not sure how that translates into halloween having the "most" activity

More current activity talking about the game and code in the Halloween thread because the code (buggy and incomplete as it is) seems to be much further along. This thread is basically talking about the fact that the code seems to be a mess and very bare-bones. Not much to promote here if you're Spooky. But that does feed the feeling of abandonment and dive in prices for places in line. I get that.

#2649 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Hey guys sorry I missed some stuff. Felt like this was going real slow for awhile and then I didn't check for a bit and BOOM thread exploded. I'll do better checking up here. We were just focused on the major halloween update for the month of October. Looking to implement all the fancy stuff to UM now ASAP. Didn't mean to upset anyone.

Is the next update making the video full screen and getting rid of that surround that shrinks the video to a window within the screen? That's the single biggest change Ultraman needs ASAP.

#2651 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

I'll have to ask! I think there is a technical reason for that. I want to say that's the shape it was originally displayed but I will have to check with the smarter than me people.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the challenge of adapting the 4:3 original ratio to the wider screen on the pin, but putting it in a window makes the already small video even smaller. Using the whole 4:3 source video and just cropping off about 5% from the top and bottom, you can fill the screen with it and leave room for scores and whatever else on the sides. It'd give much better visibility without all the wasted, unproductive space that's there now.

Here's the current display (left) next to a rough mockup (ignore the hand, I just cut the shape the 4:3 video would occupy, and ultraman's hand was over the video) of what I'm talking about with the 4:3 source at slightly oversize with about 5% cropped off the top/bottom. This would be a much better visual experience, actually highlighting the integrated footage from the show.

ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpgultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg

#2657 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

I actually like the monster art surrounding the video during quick battle. I hope that never goes away.

It's just such a waste of space. I mean, *maybe* if you had a JJP sized screen, but with the screen that's there, the pixels are valuable. If people like the frame, fine, but reduce the size of the area wasted that the static images are in so the moving pictures are larger.

#2660 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

One more for the cool monster graphics , sorry PinMonk

No apologies necessary! Opinions are opinions. I'm not against the graphics per-se. They're just way too large relative to the display with the action on it the proportions are out of whack. If people like them (not me, there's plenty of Ultraman on the backglass and cab for another static one taking up valuable real-estate on the display where moving images are supposed to go), shrink them a bit so the screen can be larger.

Or, win/win make an option on the system menu for the action display. Mini/Max. Everyone wins.

#2663 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I am sure there is a good middle ground. Stern did do a god job with the Zilla assets.

Stern did a GREAT job managing the Godzilla screen, which is why this sticks out as very amateurish. Trying to pull it back towards tasteful utility.

#2682 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Ok this I can get on board with, maybe PinMonk just isn't as good at pinball screen design as he is at coil temp testing and wordsmithing. LOL JK man.

Oh, I'm certain that anyone that does UI for a living would be horrified at the Ultraman screen layout. It's extremely inefficient. As others have noted, the Halloween layout is substantially better by comparison, just on a functionality basis. The worst part is, as a big fan of Ultraman, I want to see Spooky get it right, but they're a LONG way south of the mark right now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nipomo, CA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

5,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 28.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 13,500.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-ultraman?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.