IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #370 Offer to assist Spooky solve order issues from someone with skill. Posted by TechnicalSteam (2 years ago)

Post #743 Spooky podcast interview July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Post #1315 Math on build dates. Posted by Morinack (2 years ago)

Post #1527 Link to Franchi podcast Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #1868 Still a few CEs available with distributors. Posted by KingPinGames (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippyd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Wallofnoise:

Watched this show all the time as a kid while living in Okinawa. The artwork looks awesome. We need more Japanese pop culture themed pins.

I’d love to see them do Akira.

#56 2 years ago

I didn't realize how many people had no clue what Ultraman was. Guess it might not be so hard to get one of them then!

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Doesn't do anything for me. I like watching anime and stuff but Ultraman, nah not interested at all.

And this is why Spooky's move here is genius. I felt no interest at all in Halloween, but am completely charmed by Ultraman. I'm not even a fan of the show or anything, it's just got a vibe that fits with me.

From a business point of view if you can reduce development costs and appeal to different market demographics with the "same" product that's a jackpot for them!

#373 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I hope this means Success - CE ordered
[quoted image]

Confusing af!

2 weeks later
#1051 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Does each company even use proprietary flipper kits? Looking at Pinball Life it's the same kit for Williams / Bally, JJP, Spooky, and CGC.

Those listed companies are all using the same mechs. A key difference though in all these platforms is the software and how the coils are actually sent electricity. I believe Spooky uses a system similar to STERN where the coils are pulsed with a square-wave to keep them on. This is different than the Williams style which engages a lower voltage when the flipper is held up. Plus all these modern pinball platforms allow you to change coil settings which obviously has a huge affect on how the game feels and plays. Poorly optimized coil settings will make a great game feel like shit.

#1083 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:Thanks for the explanation. Still doesnt make sense that it still varies from manufacturer to manufacturer after 60+ years.

Manufacturing and programming costs are different and there are trade-offs. Maybe you want the most robust flips - that costs more. Maybe you want the most powerful flips - costs more.

So yea the basic design is 60 years old but there are still pennies to be pinched and choices for manufacturers to make.

#1146 2 years ago

Any word on Pinballstar #s yet?

#1190 2 years ago

Everybody's getting their number and us PinballStar buyers be like:

F8BC1C2D-F9B0-4D7D-AA37-D5EC663751D9 (resized).jpegF8BC1C2D-F9B0-4D7D-AA37-D5EC663751D9 (resized).jpeg
#1210 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

UMCE #262 from Joe at PinballStar. Glad it is high enough to give us a little breathing room with having jchwce on the way in what I assume is going to be in the next month or two (#68).

I remember reading in one of these threads that Spooky makes 50 games for their own customers, then 50 for their distributors.

If that is actually the case then wouldn't Pinballstar's first numbers be getting the games soon even though the game #s start around 250?

I'm not expecting anybody to have an accurate answer right now on how exactly it will all shake out though.

#1275 2 years ago

HYPE!

#1318 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, is a poor mobile phone video from Pinfest going to be first gameplay we see?!

Most likely!

#1348 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Getting close to a gameplay video I think ! Not my photo
[quoted image]

LLLET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUMBLE!!!!

#1353 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Is there a magnet under Ultramans head? At 0:48 it appears that a ball was stuck to the tip of the right flipper?

Just physics, no magnets.

#1361 2 years ago

I'm very curious to see what happens when a ball is coming into the inlanes at the same moment the ball lifter is going. I'm guessing the ball just hits the back of the lift mech but what if the ball is on top of the mech when it starts to lift? I'm sure they've worked it all out, just want to see it in action now!

#1371 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

There is a metal flap over the entry point so an incoming ball will just roll over the top after the lift goes back under. I was a bit worried about this myself but after imagining it for awhile I think it will work really well.

Yeah that's what it looks like. I'm very curious about the rare circumstance of a ball being directly on top of the mech when the lift goes up. It looks like it's designed with a V shape to squeeze the ball back behind the lift if that ever happens.

Also going to be very curious to see how well that mech holds up on route if it does get banged by multiball action a lot.

Edit: And thanks Spooky Luke for explaining how it works up above!

#1375 2 years ago
Quoted from Jackrabbt:

They say they have never seen it happen during testing...

Challenge Accepted!

#1426 2 years ago
Quoted from Moli410:

Display screen, sorry, so used to calling it a DMD

Digital
Media
Display

still works imo.

#1449 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Typically they will turn down coil strengths when they know the game will be played all day long. I know for a fact JJP does this with new games at shows. When I first played Wonka at Pintastic the flipper bats had the strength of a sad fart. So...Don’t worry about my dude.

If all it takes to improve most weak flipper problems is some cheap fans why don't the manufacturers just make it part of the game? Obviously it raises the BOM a tiny bit but considering how important flippers are to the game and the bad social media coverage shitty weak flippers will get your company... Why don't they just cool their flips properly? Or improve them so they don't need fans at all?

I know I'm shouting at clouds here. They won't change shit... Well if any company would it might be Spooky though!

#1482 2 years ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

Getting some of my Ultraman memorabilia ready to put next to my BSE. Don’t laugh at the lunch box.
[quoted image]

That lunch box is fantastic! Where from?

1 week later
#1684 2 years ago

Someone should start a Tetsuo podcast.

Quoted from Paragon4u:

Can someone please post the link for the stream....

https://www.twitch.tv/deadflip

#1697 2 years ago

The 2nd pf seems super hard to get control on the way the ball flys in. Not a bad thing really, just an observation.

The 3rd pf didn't seem used much at all. I swear they were hitting the shot to go up there but maybe it has to be in the right mode.

#1770 2 years ago

The display framing feels super retro, matches the show and the era perfectly. I'll reserve final judgement for actually seeing the game in person and it being on more fully realized code.

#1808 2 years ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

We should be seeing the first batch of games in the wild pretty soon. I just hope someone that streams gets one of the first machines. I am craving som for content. I have watched the DeadFlip stream over a dozen times. Lol.

I am confident there will be some decent streams coming from the early batch of games. From whom I cannot say!

1 month later
#2012 2 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

No beta capsule shooter rod?

Great, you're supposed to play as Ultraman but you're gonna be stuck as Hayata till supply chain issues are fixed!

1 week later
#2130 2 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

If they can figure out how to stage balls then this problem can be solved.

Seems a software guided sequence that involves the operator/player shooting a ball into the scoop would be required at startup.

Once the game detects the correct number of balls queued up it would reset and be ready to play.

I can't see any other way to do it unless you ship with balls in the subway from the factory and that's probably a bad idea.

Or actually I did think of another way to do it. It's just a software setting "queue balls in trough?" and the operator has to make sure they've put the balls in there. Then the game will always operate that way unless you move it and take the balls out.

Seems simple enough right? Let's hope they do something because keeping the balls flowing at a high rate will increase the fun I'm sure.

#2150 2 years ago

Does Pinball Browser work on Spooky games for changing sounds?

#2172 2 years ago

Thoughts after playing a few games:

Absolutely gorgeous machine. Worthy of going butter imo. Trim is blueish, not the same color as R&M.
Topper is good not great and I was surprised at how cool the speaker lighting effect was.
Speaking of speakers they are loud and clear, lots of bass from the woofer in the cabinet.
The slingshot sound should be tweaked, a little too loud and perhaps a better more kinetic sound could be used.
The assets used on the screen come together great, super retro feel to it. Hard to watch while playing though.
Shots feel good but there's a lot of room for making them more satisfying via better sound and choreography.
Overall the lighting package feels great and feels very modern, colorful, flashy.
Figuring out what to do or why something happened was often confusing. Player guidance needs improvement.
Ball staging will improve the flow of the game, the pace is slightly off without it.
Besides that the game is very fast and snappy and keeps you on edge.
The speed and geometry allowed for a lot of Lazarus saves from balls coming SDTM.
The mini-playfields are cooler in person than in pictures, so many details. Top one seemed under utilized.
They powder coated the wireform and even the small ball guides! Looks super cool and unique.
Baltan's laugh is awesome and they use it very well!

I have one on order and was considering selling my spot if I was disappointed after playing it. Now I am certain it will be bolted to the floor when it shows up. A little more maturity in the code and it will be perfect.

Thanks for making another great machine Spooky!

#2230 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Unfortunately the game had a dead flipper on the top PF ...
[quoted image]

The flipper on the top PF doesn't work until the upper PF is active. Did you actually get a ball up there and it still didn't flip?

1 month later
#2481 2 years ago

Anyone else getting second thoughts on your order? I’ve played UM on location and while beautiful it’s just not a great playing game yet. I know things can improve but Godzilla is already a super fun Kaiju game so UM needs to be at least as good, if not better, to keep both in a collection.

I’m confident team Spooky wants to create a great and classic game. But had I not already pre-ordered I wouldn’t be putting money down with the game in its current state.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 13,500.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Trade
Machine - For Trade
O'fallon, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippyd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-ultraman?tu=flippyd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.