IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #370 Offer to assist Spooky solve order issues from someone with skill. Posted by TechnicalSteam (2 years ago)

Post #743 Spooky podcast interview July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Post #1315 Math on build dates. Posted by Morinack (2 years ago)

Post #1527 Link to Franchi podcast Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #1868 Still a few CEs available with distributors. Posted by KingPinGames (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Palmer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#347 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I wonder how many folks accidentally bought 3 of these things

PROFIT!

#457 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm expecting that all the CE of both will be run before Ultraman BSE, but what do I know

You are correct! CE then BSE then SE regardless of game.

#492 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I don’t know, I think there’s good value in the CE:
Topper - $500
Shooter - $150
Laser cut side rails - $250
Powdercoat speaker panel - $100
Custom toy - $50
See - $1050 of value for only $1000!

First to be built - priceless

#577 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

They are going to build 1250 Halloween pins before they start on ultraman, spooky has said this in a few different places, it’s going to be a while

Incorrect

#585 2 years ago

I see a lot of people mentioning blue powder coat for Ultraman CE. But I have a feeling it is the same purple used for RaM. The photos they took outside are not white balanced. Take the blue hue out (from daylight) and the armor looks more purple than blue.

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-1.jpg
#599 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

Doesnt seem that way here....
[quoted image]

Thanks for that pic! Is that from the teaser video? Hoping it is not the same color as RaM. Not a deal breaker but I like the blue better.

#666 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm just curious. For those that purchased Ultraman, are you more into the classic tv show style or comic style? I personally have zero nostalgia for the classic tv show, so I much prefer the assets from comics. I assume there must be several of you out there that grew up with the tv show, who would be disappointed to not see that depicted. Would you be interested in an alternative tv style backglass? I don't think there is a bad choice, just a lot of options.
[quoted image]

I watched the show quite a bit when I was a kid. The show debuted before I was born but reruns were shown on a lot of UHF channels back in the early 80s in quite a few metro areas. I like that they are using old show footage for the display but I would not like photo-real artwork. The comic style really looks awesome!

2 weeks later
#1238 2 years ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

I am sure this has been answered before so forgive me for asking again. I am curious if all the CEs for Halloween and Ultraman will be run before the first BSE? I don’t mind the wait I am just trying to get an idea of how long I have to save up.

Yes all CEs then BSEs then SEs

#1389 2 years ago

1 week later
#1745 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

The plan was to have mystery awards and incidentals alternate! I think they needed some time to work on randomizing it! Something will be there.

Any chance you guys end up changing the term "incidentals". Minor gripe I know but it sounds more like a term I'd use on an expense report than a pinball machine. The only other criticism would be the font design/layout of footage. Wish it had a bit more polish in regard to type layout, font style, readability etc. It really is the only knock I have on this game though. Played it at Pinfest and it was super smooth and had so many shots. You guys keep upping your game with every release. Congrats!

#1753 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Please go back and watch the vid, were the LEDs flashing so brightly, that it was reflected the players faces? No. Spooky has said over and over and over that in real life, they are nothing like the vid. Why are you ignoring those facts?

I played it a Pinfest. Those LED strips are not blinding. But it doesn't matter what other people say. Everyone is going to comment on them just from the video.

#1766 2 years ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Up to this point the whole Spooky team have done an amazing job and I am sure all aspects will get a lot better and tweaked over time.
The Light shows look awesome and gameplay and playfield look great.
After rewatching the stream and just concentrating on the display, there is definitely some more tweaking work to be done there.
Just my observations and some things that maybe could be entertained by the Spooky team.
Not griping as I know Spooky have more coding to do.
-sound from slings, I love the sound, but seems overpowering everything else in multiball (I know the sound coming through wasn’t ideal so maybe not noticeable with in person play)
- I love the display style from the show(some tweaks no doubt still to be done)
-Font style (not bad but could possibly be better or more Ultraman-ie)
-text positioning at times and when paying homage.
-there were some Kaiju battles and instructions to start modes that constantly had text across the screen telling you what you had to do, maybe this doesn’t need to stay on the screen all the time, once you have had time to read it, then the playfield has flashing light clues. This was covering up some cool video clips.(also see dial section of screen)
-Maybe where the dial is on the LHS this could be opened up as a screen(when required) for instructions, to keep them seperate from the main video plays and combos and jackpot score flashes etc.
-not sure if any instructions are in the callouts(as in TSPP ‘shoot the garage’) as could not really here call outs in the setup that was streamed.
-Maybe the ‘super jackpot values’ that stay on the screen during multiball could be done like the ‘next combo value’ replace the balls left (see later in post)or interchangeable here. (Please also see dial area of screen)
-text also stayed up on the screen too long and overlapped with new text at times. Looks a bit messy.
-red text on red background of map difficult to read. The white text looked great.
-I like the animations coming in from the side. These are pretty awesome.
-the video clips from the TV series are fantastic.
-I haven’t seen any games in person but the scores were difficult to see/read.
-hopefully someone can tell me. Not sure what the red light under the dial on the left side of screen indicated.
-not sure why there are 3 seperate boxes for ‘balls left’. Pretty sure we are not going to have up to 999 balls remaining. Maybe there are other plans for this section?
Maybe this area could be used for something else. This could be your super jackpot score area( same as next combo score) And then the ‘balls left’ could go under the dial on the left side, as only one box is really required. Possibly. This will line up boarders etc around these section more even aesthetics.
As said not griping just observations and I am one that is super happy with my purchase of Ultraman and can’t wait to play in person.
Awesome work done so far from the Spooky Team. Keeping the pinball passion alive and well.

These are all great points that I agree with. The LCD needs some more art direction. Also strongly agree with the sling SFX. I am not a fan of the sound but if it is going to be there, it needs to be toned down a bit. Just way too up front for me.

3 weeks later
#1918 2 years ago

Been watching more gameplay of Halloween as they begin to roll out. NGL, Ultraman seems way better as a theme.

#1923 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Says the guy in the Ultraman thread with an Ultraman avatar and Ultraman bedsheets. Of course you prefer it, wanna know how I already knew that?

Haha you want me to say that in the Halloween thread? People would go ballistic. Honestly if I had a Halloween on preorder, I would have backed out based on how the music, assets, etc. look so far.

#1931 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

People bought the game they wanted man. I’m more of a horror buff so I went HWN you’re into Kaiju so you bought UM. I don’t really understand the need to shit on one game or the other. You may not be into HWN but how do you account for the fact that the spots for HWN are selling for more than UM on the secondary market?

I don't really care what spots are selling for to be honest. I did notice a lot of Halloween spots up for sale after the initial stream.

Not sure how I am "shitting" on a game. Me not liking it should not have any affect on whether you enjoy it or it's perceived value.

2 weeks later
#2045 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hey guys, I played the game at Ayce Gogi today!
Here are my first impressions & some constructive suggestions for the team:
The good:
-Absolutely gorgeous. Very few games just “pop” like this. Stunning art, playfield quality, and lighting. I have sensitive eyes & didn’t feel like it was too bright. Perfect lighting, IMO.
-Shots are really smooth. Shots that loop around to other places just feel really nice. Flippers feel awesome, everything feels as it should.
-Light shows are gorgeous so far. There’s a weird trick going on when it flashes red & white - it makes the playfield look like it’s rippling…really cool!
The “bad” (but things that can be fixed in software):
-Halloween seems to have this same issue, but the sound mix is a bit strange. Music needs to be louder, and some sound FX need to be dialed back. The slings sound effect is way too loud and really annoying. It definitely needs to be lowered, but I’d even recommend finding a different sound effect that isn’t so grating. Slings are constantly going off, so you want something cool & not off putting.
-Seems to need way more clips & callouts…but I get that this is early code & that will come.
-I was afraid I wouldn’t dig the inlane lifters, and after playing, I’ll be honest - I kind of wish the scoops just fired back. That being said, I think with A/V & light choreography, this can be “fixed”. The main issue right now is that when you shoot a scoop & are waiting for the lifter, nothing is really happening. Then, there are flashers by the flipper and a “bass buildup” sound…but then the ball just rolls. It’s anti-climactic, if that makes sense, and you’re kinda just guessing as to when the ball is gonna appear. Here’s what I think can help fix this:
1. After the “bass buildup” sound, there needs to be some kind of eject sound to let you know the ball is there. Some kind of impact sound or maybe one of Ultraman’s weird vocal sounds.
2. A better choreographed light show. With the full RGB LEDs, you can program an animated “sweep” of lights toward the flipper/lift and maybe end it with some other sparkle or swirl effects…maybe a little “outward blast” effect when the ball pops out (like the recent Godzilla stomp light show)
3. If there’s a switch in the scoop, I think there should be some kind of video & voice over that “kills time” as the ball is traveling. Maybe Ultraman on the screen doing an action move, and when he yells or shoots a weapon, that’s synced with the ball popping out. Maybe a callout that says something like “watch the right flipper! Ball is appearing…now!”
Anyway, it was cool to play the game before mine shows up. That’s a weird thing these days haha…looking forward to seeing the game evolve and grow. The “bones” are all there. Just needs some of that extra sauce.

Great feedback! I had the same comments about the sling sounds being too loud and not really liking the actual sound effect at all. It was a bit annoying when I played. I would say that there definitely should be a better timed audio cue for the lifter. Or maybe it was just low in volume when I played? But I don't think it needs an involved light show as the lifter action happens a lot at times and I think it would also be annoying to have it happening over and over again. I definitely think that less is more the more plays you have. But for someone stepping up to the game the first few times, they will be surprised by the lifter action.

#2051 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When I played, the lifter “warning sound” is very loud and bassy…but there’s no “eject sound”…so there’s a build up sound, and then it’s like whoa there the ball!

I’d don’t mean a big flasher show - but an animated sweep to drive your attention. LOTR sweeps the lights toward the shooter lane when a ball is there, ready to launch. The cool thing about Ultra’s lights is that the effect could be much cooler. Have you seen the end of ball lights on TNA? There are all these white “sparkles”. R&M ha a similar “sparkle” effect during Moonmen. So, just imagine - all the other inserts & GI stay on - but a sweep of white sparkles “animate” toward the left or right flipper. I dunno, I think it would be look really nice & drive your eye to the lifter that’s about to eject.

No I agree with you on all of your points. I just don't want a large scale lightshow for an event that happens a lot like the lifters. I do agree though it has to be more prominent. I personally feel like another sound on the high end would work much like Williams did with their scoop ejects.

#2103 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I don't mind the overlays and having the whole screen shake during some modes is a nice touch. That said, the clips look sharp and I don't see why they couldn't be larger.

I do think ball times are going to be longer on these games then any other Spooky game to date. Seven shots from the lower flippers feed to the inlanes. That's neither good nor bad, but don't expect this to be that brutal game that punishes you. Because of this, I'd actually like to see the Pigmon modes incorporated even more into the rules. Shooting down the target bank to start the modes is challenging, in a good way. It feels a bit like lowering the shield in Attack From Mars. Only instead of continuing to attack the flying saucer you start a battle, similar to Deadpool. Those are two of my favorite games, so that's a good thing.

I appreciate you sharing your first impressions. It is interesting because on Halloween, Spooky was looking to find out more ways to incorporate content on screen. They said most of the clips were played at the beginning and at the completion of modes. They thought that would be good but they realize that the game is harder to complete modes and players are not seeing the video content. UM looks to have a decent amount of video content. I like the center screen with the character art flanking it during battles. I still think there is some room for improvement regarding game stats like score, ball in play etc.

#2127 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

This might take awhile to upload, but here is another gameplay video.

Thanks for the video. It feels like there is a lot of downtime waiting when you drain the upper upper playfield when battling Jirahs. I guess there is no way Spooky can speed up the lifter mech?

#2148 2 years ago

Sling sound effect was one of my criticisms when I played it at Allentown. I know it’s from the show but it is really annoying. Seems like other people agree.

#2157 2 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Yes! SpookyLuke is this an option you could code in? I think we'd take a mute option just to hear the solenoid.
Still looking forward to it!

They just need to change the sound effect. It really is annoying.

#2177 2 years ago
Quoted from Paragon4u:

After watching and listening to several clips of this great game the sling sound is almost as annoying as a kid playing in the door way of a Seven Eleven setting off door chime!

That is a good description. It sounds like an alert that you just received a text or something along those lines. So hearing it repeated just makes it really annoying.

#2194 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

I don't see any reason we can't do this! I'll suggest it to Bug!
Also as for the game loosing the ball. Going to see if I can get them on the phone and get the root cause. Must be some sort of oddity as we never lost any at shows or on any other games I know of.
I'll honestly assume we will find some very odd ball traps or places the ball can squeeze into on this game with the 3 levels being so large. We knew that was a risk going into it but we really wanted to make this thing cool.

It would be great if you guys replaced the current sound. I know there is a big update coming soon. I am hoping that effect has been replaced with it.

#2199 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

How did you attach it without ruining the plastic underneath? I always wanted to add toys to my pins but not sure how to attach it without ruining the art on the plastic.

Hot glue works pretty well.

#2214 2 years ago

Seems like they are picking up steam. I wonder how many games they did this week.

#2254 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

They aren't staged.

Yea there has been talk of adding it but I am not sure if it is definitely coming from Spooky. I don't have a pic of the playfield underside. But wouldn't there need to be a staged ball at both inlanes?

3 weeks later
#2356 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wow those sling effects are so much better, and it sounds to me like there's two different sounds being used which helps as well.

Seriously! Thanks Spooky for fixing that. Much better now!

1 week later
#2445 2 years ago

I feel like there is a much better way to present the info while still feeling retro and not feel like I am looking at my score through a Gottlieb System 80b display.

1 week later
#2508 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I agree, but this is where my concern with Ultraman being linked code wise to Halloween comes in. Ultraman has 100x the material

Quoted from Mrg50:

I feel like Ultraman is playing second fiddle to Halloween by Spooky.

These are main my concerns as well.

1 week later
#2626 2 years ago

SpookyLuke How many UMs are you guys building per week?

#2672 2 years ago

I have been asking for the change to the screen since the beginning. All you guys have to do is increase the size of the video so that it fills the vertical space from top to bottom. Keep the same ratio. Move the player scores to the bottom of the screen like Stern does (where active player score is larger than the rest) and then put the ball count and freeplay or coin up top center but not really big. Scores ball count etc. would be the top layer. You can still have Ultraman and the monsters come in from the sides during battles and even overlap the main video content.

What is happening is you are trying to make the screen look like a control panel. I appreciate the thought but everything ends up looking small at the expense of trying to make it look like a control panel. No one really wants that. The scores look tiny like Gottlieb system 80b displays. Keep the cool looking character silhouettes that flank the sides during battles. But make the video content as large as possible. When the characters for battles are not present, those columns on the sides can have some sort of design that looks like a control panel. I can mock something up if anyone has some screenshots of the display.

#2674 2 years ago

Rough draft of what I am talking about. I think something along these lines would be a lot better. Maybe make the top corners look more like control panel pieces but you get the drift.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 11.43.31 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-23 at 11.43.31 AM (resized).png
#2706 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Just saying that it is a safer crowd in a owners club.
No worries go where you feel comfortable..

No need to be disrespectful. Not sure why you have such an issue with them. Maybe it’s because you can’t flip your spots for profit?

#2707 2 years ago
Quoted from BigBalls:

Let it go. Lol

Maybe you should let it go Kaneda?

#2714 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Not at all. Trying to remove it entirely to make it easier to follow for everyone.
Anyone know how to completely remove a thread.

974BAF4B-9754-457F-AC1A-85A1679A6493.gif974BAF4B-9754-457F-AC1A-85A1679A6493.gif
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Saginaw, MI
$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods
Interactive
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 300.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods
Decorations
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.
Toppers
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Palmer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-ultraman?tu=Palmer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.