IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 55.
#2651 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

I'll have to ask! I think there is a technical reason for that. I want to say that's the shape it was originally displayed but I will have to check with the smarter than me people.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the challenge of adapting the 4:3 original ratio to the wider screen on the pin, but putting it in a window makes the already small video even smaller. Using the whole 4:3 source video and just cropping off about 5% from the top and bottom, you can fill the screen with it and leave room for scores and whatever else on the sides. It'd give much better visibility without all the wasted, unproductive space that's there now.

Here's the current display (left) next to a rough mockup (ignore the hand, I just cut the shape the 4:3 video would occupy, and ultraman's hand was over the video) of what I'm talking about with the 4:3 source at slightly oversize with about 5% cropped off the top/bottom. This would be a much better visual experience, actually highlighting the integrated footage from the show.

ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpgultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg

#2652 2 years ago

I actually like the monster art surrounding the video during quick battle. I hope that never goes away.

#2653 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

I actually like the monster art surrounding the video during quick battle. I hope that never goes away.

Ditto.

#2654 2 years ago

Ditto also

#2655 2 years ago

I rarely get to watch the screen while playing so no issues with the monsters

#2656 2 years ago
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gifEF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
#2657 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

It's just such a waste of space. I mean, *maybe* if you had a JJP sized screen, but with the screen that's there, the pixels are valuable. If people like the frame, fine, but reduce the size of the area wasted that the static images are in so the moving pictures are larger.

#2658 2 years ago

One more for the cool monster graphics , sorry PinMonk

#2659 2 years ago

This goes to show how tough creative decisions are lol!

#2660 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

One more for the cool monster graphics , sorry PinMonk

No apologies necessary! Opinions are opinions. I'm not against the graphics per-se. They're just way too large relative to the display with the action on it the proportions are out of whack. If people like them (not me, there's plenty of Ultraman on the backglass and cab for another static one taking up valuable real-estate on the display where moving images are supposed to go), shrink them a bit so the screen can be larger.

Or, win/win make an option on the system menu for the action display. Mini/Max. Everyone wins.

#2661 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

LOL SpookyLuke well at a minimum lets work on new rules, modes etc before that

Got my email on #96 last week, went butter. Take good care of her for me

#2662 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No apologies necessary! Opinions are opinions. I'm not against the graphics per-se. They're just way too large relative to the display with the action on it the proportions are out of whack. If people like them (not me, there's plenty of Ultraman on the backglass and cab for another static one taking up valuable real-estate on the display where moving images are supposed to go), shrink them a bit so the screen can be larger.
Or, win/win make an option on the system menu for the action display. Mini/Max. Everyone wins.

I am sure there is a good middle ground. Stern did do a god job with the Zilla assets.

#2663 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I am sure there is a good middle ground. Stern did do a god job with the Zilla assets.

Stern did a GREAT job managing the Godzilla screen, which is why this sticks out as very amateurish. Trying to pull it back towards tasteful utility.

#2664 2 years ago

More graphic effects Kanji!
More exciting Japanese / Japanese accent English chatter!
More exciting music!
More exctiing sound effects!
Maybe some modern nuances??

Love the potential!

#2665 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I can't believe you seem to be on an island here with the display layout. Months ago I pointed out how inefficient the screen layout is. The footage is where it's at regarding the assets, so to have them displayed in the postage-stamp sized screen never made any sense. On top of that, the scores are SO small that they look hard to read. I mean, wouldn't the reason to shrink the video screen be to give more room for the elements in the interface space? No offense to anyone, but this just feels like the worst of both. Small video and small illegible scores. In terms of layout proportions and readability, HWN handles this much better (not talking actual video or animation assets, just the layout of the screen elements).

I get that there are currently bigger concerns with the code than the screen, but I really hope the layout is refined over time. With all the talk of the potential given how much original footage there is, why wouldn't you highlight the clips you incorporate? I guess I just don't understand the rationale behind the current layout.

#2666 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Stern did a GREAT job managing the Godzilla screen, which is why this sticks out as very amateurish. Trying to pull it back towards tasteful utility.

Exactly.

Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Creative decisions take leadership & taste. I worked for this guy for 20 years...someone with taste/leadership. You don't always have to love/agree with him/Apple, but he cared deeply about everything.

Just because you can find people that don't agree with PinMonk doesn't mean it's the right decision. Having huge static images detracts from the dynamic images. It just does.

I played UMCE @ Barcade in Highland park. The state of the software shocked my son & I. Only played one game. Spooky is really fortunate that Barcade is vending this game, given the Alpha level software. Can't imagine many quarters are being dropped.

For collectors, waiting 9 months (or more) for the software to fully bake isn't that big a deal. For arcades it's a lifetime...and I bet some of these locations will dump it if it isn't earning. If arcades are going to make a comeback, the pinball manufacturers need to consider baking their software a bit more before releasing games! Without great software, pinball machines are just pretty, very heavy art projects.

#2667 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Stern did a GREAT job managing the Godzilla screen, which is why this sticks out as very amateurish.

I have not played UM or Halloween but just seen the gameplay video. I love Spooky but there is a big difference from them to Stern (both good and bad). The game code seems to be the hardest part to make a great pinball game and Stern has a huge advantage, have 10x more code staff (I'm guessing) with decades of experience that Spooky doesn't have. Spooky can make great code as seen in R&M and ACNC but it will take time and still not be quite as polished as Stern who sells 10-20 times as many pins as Spooky.

#2668 2 years ago

Hello.

Is UM CE #235 out there?

I'm UM CE #177 and I'm hoping to trade spots with you.

I was fortunate enough to secure GZ #235 and would love to get them matched up.

I'll throw in a case of beer to sweeten the deal.

Thanks.

Peace.

IMG_6504 (resized).JPGIMG_6504 (resized).JPGIMG_6507 (resized).JPGIMG_6507 (resized).JPG
#2669 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I can't believe you seem to be on an island here with the display layout. Months ago I pointed out how inefficient the screen layout is. The footage is where it's at regarding the assets, so to have them displayed in the postage-stamp sized screen never made any sense. On top of that, the scores are SO small that they look hard to read. I mean, wouldn't the reason to shrink the video screen be to give more room for the elements in the interface space? No offense to anyone, but this just feels like the worst of both. Small video and small illegible scores. In terms of layout proportions and readability, HWN handles this much better.

I think it’s just who is vocal on these threads. I think the current screen size is terrible and kind of gives a cheap feeling to the game. It reminds me of the “home” Stern games. The borders during fights are cool but that isn’t the whole time. I personally really don’t like the layout and it was one of the first things that stuck out to me when I walked up.

I would agree code is more important, but I think it would be insane for Spooky to think they are hitting on the optimal display layout right now.

#2670 2 years ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

I think it’s just who is vocal on these threads. I think the current screen size is terrible and kind of gives a cheap feeling to the game. It reminds me of the “home” Stern games. The borders during fights are cool but that isn’t the whole time. I personally really don’t like the layout and it was one of the first things that stuck out to me when I walked up.
I would agree code is more important, but I think it would be insane for Spooky to think they are hitting on the optimal display layout right now.

I also hope the screen changes. Too much wasted space and not enough focus on the action scenes when fighting the monsters. All in due time I'm sure.

#2671 2 years ago
Quoted from MajorDrainer:

Hello.
Is UM CE #235 out there?
I'm UM CE #177 and I'm hoping to trade spots with you.
I was fortunate enough to secure GZ #235 and would love to get them matched up.
I'll throw in a case of beer to sweeten the deal.
Thanks.
Peace.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Regarding this... I’m CE #76, there’s no indication anywhere on my machine that has the game number

#2672 2 years ago

I have been asking for the change to the screen since the beginning. All you guys have to do is increase the size of the video so that it fills the vertical space from top to bottom. Keep the same ratio. Move the player scores to the bottom of the screen like Stern does (where active player score is larger than the rest) and then put the ball count and freeplay or coin up top center but not really big. Scores ball count etc. would be the top layer. You can still have Ultraman and the monsters come in from the sides during battles and even overlap the main video content.

What is happening is you are trying to make the screen look like a control panel. I appreciate the thought but everything ends up looking small at the expense of trying to make it look like a control panel. No one really wants that. The scores look tiny like Gottlieb system 80b displays. Keep the cool looking character silhouettes that flank the sides during battles. But make the video content as large as possible. When the characters for battles are not present, those columns on the sides can have some sort of design that looks like a control panel. I can mock something up if anyone has some screenshots of the display.

#2673 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Regarding this... I’m CE #76, there’s no indication anywhere on my machine that has the game number

No numbered plaque with Ultraman creator's autograph?

#2674 2 years ago

Rough draft of what I am talking about. I think something along these lines would be a lot better. Maybe make the top corners look more like control panel pieces but you get the drift.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 11.43.31 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-23 at 11.43.31 AM (resized).png
#2675 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Rough draft of what I am talking about. I think something along these lines would be a lot better. Maybe make the top corners look more like control panel pieces but you get the drift.[quoted image]

Nice - I like it!

#2676 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Rough draft of what I am talking about. I think something along these lines would be a lot better. Maybe make the top corners look more like control panel pieces but you get the drift.[quoted image]

oooo, I like that. You just made me a believer.

#2677 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

There is a label inside the cab with the serial number on it. That's is.

#2678 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Ok this I can get on board with, maybe PinMonk just isn't as good at pinball screen design as he is at coil temp testing and wordsmithing. LOL JK man .

I do feel like the battles could use a health meter that would be cool.

#2679 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

There’s an autograph,

Quoted from Palepoli:

There is a label inside the cab with the serial number on it. That's is.

Ah, this kinda makes me wanna make my own stamped or engraved piece

#2680 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Your hired!!

#2681 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Spooky. This. Please. Thanks.

#2682 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Ok this I can get on board with, maybe PinMonk just isn't as good at pinball screen design as he is at coil temp testing and wordsmithing. LOL JK man.

Oh, I'm certain that anyone that does UI for a living would be horrified at the Ultraman screen layout. It's extremely inefficient. As others have noted, the Halloween layout is substantially better by comparison, just on a functionality basis. The worst part is, as a big fan of Ultraman, I want to see Spooky get it right, but they're a LONG way south of the mark right now.

#2683 2 years ago

Hey guys I will have to note that at some point I am going to have to stick to the Club threads only! 2 or 3 threads for each title is just to much to keep up with! Ill stick around for a bit longer but now you know!

#2685 2 years ago

SpookyLuke

Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Hey guys I will have to note that at some point I am going to have to stick to the Club threads only! 2 or 3 threads for each title is just to much to keep up with! Ill stick around for a bit longer but now you know!

What thread are you going to monitor for Ultraman? This thread has the most posts. Which forum is the “club?”

#2687 2 years ago

This one! I could be doing it wrong but traditionally I have always followed the club thread for each game!

#2688 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

This one! I could be doing it wrong but traditionally I have always followed the club thread for each game!

Okay, got it. This thread has always been the most popular one, so that's what I've stuck to. Guess I'll move to the other one.

#2689 2 years ago

Hype vs club.

How about a…

AC6236E1-B79D-489F-9D08-BBFE7F163D49.gifAC6236E1-B79D-489F-9D08-BBFE7F163D49.gif
#2690 2 years ago

Going to the club thread, adios!

#2691 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:Going to the club thread, adios!

Me too! I would follow SpookyLuke into the desert for 40 days and 40 nights.

#2692 2 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

I would follow SpookyLuke into the desert for 40 days and 40 nights.

Please help refine the code before y'all do your thing in the desert.

#2693 2 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Me too! I would follow SpookyLuke into the desert for 40 days and 40 nights.

Not smart

#2694 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Safe move. Easier to control the narrative.

#2696 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Safe move. Easier to control the narrative.

Sad to see this. Feel free to shoot me a message anytime if there is anything I can do for ya.

#2697 2 years ago

Kaneda says he will lose money selling his pre-order spot + a negative review.</blockquote

Guy only had intentions of Flipping the thing for a profit from the start.

He has sadz he can't pump and dump.

#2698 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Sad to see this. Feel free to shoot me a message anytime if there is anything I can do for ya.

Just saying that it is a safer crowd in a owners club.

No worries go where you feel comfortable..

#2699 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Lol!

It’s literally the same dudes posting in both places.

rd

#2700 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

False. Same guys hanging in both. Only owners chilling here. I’m glad we can just move to one thread! Spooky ain’t ‘fraid. Don’t be silly.

#168 signing off and waiting to get the game. All future posts coming in the club thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Gilbert, AZ
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 13,500.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 55.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-ultraman/page/54?hl=thebeefsupreme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.