IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 55.
#2551 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I was really bummed about Thunderbirds - loved the show as a kid. But the pin is basically just a center ramp. Walked away mid-ball after five minutes.

It's become so legendarily bad, I'm looking forward to being disappointed when I eventually get hands on it.

#2552 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

There's one reason and one reason only why UMs are selling for less than the original price and it starts with G.

I was thinking more of a F minor.

#2553 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

There's one reason and one reason only why UMs are selling for less than the original price and it starts with G.

"G"ot some hesitations about how the code looks right now

#2554 2 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Scanned the last few pages but didn't see much tweaking tips on Ultraman.
Having just unboxed #58 today I ran into some upper playfield issues, wanted to see if any early deliveries had the same issues.
Upper playfield the ball just hung on the left side habit trail rail as if stuck in a pocket - had to remove the glass to free it up.
Middle playfield right side exit to the shooter lane is a ball trap - ball stick between the post rubber and the right side guide.
During game play I only made it to the upper most playfield twice one experiencing the hang up.
The middle playfield I made it to maybe two dozen times experiencing the ball stuck twice.
Warning to CE owners - that blade on the topper may not be attached well. I unfolded my game and the blade fell on the glass.
Seems to just be pressed on no screw holding it to the moving shaft.

I had the same on the upper playfield (left habbit trail rail). Am planning on contacting support to see what their suggestion is.

And yes on the topper blade for me too. Lol...it actually fell of as I turned off of Spooky's street when i was picking up my game. Not a big deal though and easy to re-attach/tighten.

No other issues though. Really good experience with everything so far. Looking forward to watching (and experiencing) this game grow!

#2555 2 years ago

People are bowing out now because they are Fickle gotta have the other shiny thing or shit happened and they need a lifeline out.
FOMO marketing works in this industry for sure and certainly brings some stability for the Distributors and Manufacturers. Though
maybe not such a good idea for the buyers who are stuck.

Game code.. hell look at Stern.. and JJP.

I think what people want to see is a Roadmap for Game code. That would be OH SO DAMN NICE from all manufacturers.

I know when I develop things that I know precisely what I have to do for the next month and can even tell you what is being promised for each release.

Game Code should be like that.. People submitting Ideas and companies communicating when and if they'll get to it.

#2556 2 years ago
Quoted from hayrebear:

I had the same on the upper playfield (left habbit trail rail). Am planning on contacting support to see what their suggestion is.

If my memory is correct you may just want to bend the metal guide outward the little bit.

#2557 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

People are bowing out now because they are Fickle gotta have the other shiny thing or shit happened and they need a lifeline out.
FOMO marketing works in this industry for sure and certainly brings some stability for the Distributors and Manufacturers. Though
maybe not such a good idea for the buyers who are stuck.
Game code.. hell look at Stern.. and JJP.
I think what people want to see is a Roadmap for Game code. That would be OH SO DAMN NICE from all manufacturers.
I know when I develop things that I know precisely what I have to do for the next month and can even tell you what is being promised for each release.
Game Code should be like that.. People submitting Ideas and companies communicating when and if they'll get to it.

Sure, roadmaps would be great, but that would be NEW for all manufacturers. Typically, the only info is in the "README" in the release notes.

The difference between Spooky and Stern is obvious. Stern has a relatively large, battle tested software engineering group. Sure, it's not always pretty, but the games almost always come together. The R&M team of Danesi/Priepke/Kerins was special. If they were working on this title, I'd sleep better.

Who is working on this title? I've been busy and only check in randomly...sorry if it's the dream team

#2558 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Why did you decide to sell the game?

Game unfortunately isn't ready for location play, with the current code.

#2559 2 years ago
Quoted from SDAmusements:

Ouch. Gotta believe this game will get all the software help it needs going forward.
This title has so much potential.

#2560 2 years ago

Tons of potential

Looking forward to EVERYTHING being polished and some things updated to get us back into the wow factor, lots of dull things needing polished to a shine, I almost fell asleep during some of those call outs from the dull announcer, and the many seconds of waiting on the ball to come back into play while waiting on cut scenes and mode changes.

I feel like there needs to be some modernization effects of some sort to help bring things together, even if they’re cheesy

What I am certain of... the playfield design is amazing.

Holding tight to my machine, looking forward to updates.

#2561 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrg50:

I feel like Ultraman is playing second fiddle to Halloween by Spooky. All posts by spooky seem to be about Halloween and very little being posted about Ultraman. Halloween gets an update and then maybe Ultraman gets some of the same features. I hope we don’t end up with a game optimized for Halloween and then mapped to Ultraman as an afterthought. Let’s see an Ultraman release that is ahead of Halloween and not just an update with remapped Halloween features.

I’m not on this pin but love my TNA and R&M got a lot of little or big updates over time.

I’m just curious is Halloween and Ultraman the same code, I mean same basic architecture hit ABC shots to start XYZ mode? That’s something that kind of turned me off this dual release that it was going to be slanted towards one title and just shoehorn in the second title just so it’d be less work than two separate games.

I’d have been happier even if it was the same layout if it had two distinct codes heck some people might have bought both with different code but I’m not sure if it’s the same code rules or different.

#2562 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m not on this pin but love my TNA and R&M got a lot of little or big updates over time.
I’m just curious is Halloween and Ultraman the same code, I mean same basic architecture hit ABC shots to start XYZ mode? That’s something that kind of turned me off this dual release that it was going to be slanted towards one title and just shoehorn in the second title just so it’d be less work than two separate games.
I’d have been happier even if it was the same layout if it had two distinct codes heck some people might have bought both with different code but I’m not sure if it’s the same code rules or different.

They do have the same code, but I would disagree that Ultraman is playing second fiddle. Look at Baltan vs Hedge. Baltan is an alien that can clone itself, so it makes sense that there are multiples that pop out during the multiball. I think that mode works better on Ultraman then it does on Halloween. Pestar is one of the quick battles. Pestar is a kaiju who has been attacking oil ships. You have to defeat the monster before it gets to the ship. The rules are written with both games in mind and they will have the same updates, perhaps a few weeks apart. Ultraman has many more clips, which is why I think there is more discussion about the animation working being done to improve Halloween.

#2563 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Quoted from lpeters82:

They do have the same code, but I would disagree that Ultraman is playing second fiddle. They both will have the same updates, perhaps a few weeks apart.

Ultraman was the original theme. Halloween came later. They are giving Halloween a lot of attention because there are more units sold and I imagine a much harsher contract/timeline with Universal Pictures than Tsuburaya Productions.
If you know the Ultraman series, you can see the potential that has only been touched on. The Baltan splitting into three makes much more sense than Michael's Hedge whack-a-mole.
I fully expect Halloween to get priority but Ultraman to be the better game in the end.
It sounds like Spooky has a lot of freedom and access to the Ultraman catalogue compared to what they can do with Halloween.
Halloween owners can guinea pig game code for a few more months. That's fine. Once the groundwork is solid Spooky can really polish up and tweak that in the Ultraman code.

#2564 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ultraman turned off is a better game than Thunderbirds lol

AMH is also rare as is Houdini, Mustang, TNA and they aren’t shooting up in price.

The point to me is buy whatever you like best not what’s rare. I’d rather have a common popular pin like ST, JP or DP than another game just because it’s more rare.

But if you are equal on two pins than I’d go to more rare to break the tie.

#2565 2 years ago
Quoted from SDAmusements:

I've heard the same thing from someone with a Halloween on location.

#2566 2 years ago

SpookyBug any idea on when the Ultraman update is taking place?

#2567 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Question - did anyone reserve a standard edition? Seems like all the posts for sale are all BSE or CE, basically people wanting a more immediate machine like a Godzilla or something.
That would be rare…not like Thunderbirds rare or bad, but a good deal looking at current pinball prices.
For me I wish I could feel the confidence to buy a machine sight unseen, the R&M would have been one I wanted but boy I read that forum and it’s almost all about tweaking the game and all it’s issues. Makes me think not getting that game was a good thing, even though I love the theme. The forum is all about tweaks and the game being tough.
I think UM should be good but have not played it, I would not want this forum to become the adjustment and refinement post forum like R&M.
Like prior comments - seems like a few people are willing to take the loss on UM mostly in the CE versions, some of the BSE’s.
I would have maybe put a deposit on a standard since it does not seem to much taken off the game to me. Maybe someone will want to sell that or a BSE at a discount enough for me to take the risk.
But aren’t people scared it could be like R&M and need a ton of tweaks to make it work? Just seems like there are not enough games out there to know.

This is why I am happy to be in the 900's. I expect some tweaking, but hopefully all of the heavy lifting will be taken care of by then. R&M is amazing and thats why I FOMOd on Halloween.

#2568 2 years ago

Technically this layout was designed as John Wick and Ultraman was acquired in lieu of Godzilla (which Stern Swiped) Then Halloween was acquired because Spooky didn’t think they could move 1200 Ultraman to US buyers.

Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Ultraman was the original theme. Halloween came later. They are giving Halloween a lot of attention because there are more units sold and I imagine a much harsher contract/timeline with Universal Pictures than Tsuburaya Productions.
If you know the Ultraman series, you can see the potential that has only been touched on. The Baltan splitting into three makes much more sense than Michael's Hedge whack-a-mole.
I fully expect Halloween to get priority but Ultraman to be the better game in the end.
It sounds like Spooky has a lot of freedom and access to the Ultraman catalogue compared to what they can do with Halloween.
Halloween owners can guinea pig game code for a few more months. That's fine. Once the groundwork is solid Spooky can really polish up and tweak that in the Ultraman code.

#2569 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Technically this layout was designed as John Wick and Ultraman was acquired in lieu of Godzilla (which Stern Swiped) Then Halloween was acquired because Spooky didn’t think they could move 1200 Ultraman to US buyers.

Well...half truths. The theme started as John Wick, yes. Appearantly several elements changed before becoming the final Ultraman/Halloween layout though.
Halloween has nothing to do with how many UM units they thought they could sell.
There was so much demand for Halloween, it would have been foolish not to take their money.
I do think if Halloween had been acquired first, we may not have seen UM (in this way) though.
I had zero interest in Spooky's next game when everyone pretty much knew it was Halloween. The Ultraman announcement was unexpected and drained my savings lol

#2570 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

SpookyBug any idea on when the Ultraman update is taking place?

I think SpookyLuke answers the majority of the questions.

#2571 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

rai As a proud Shrek owner, I think two different themes with the same code "architecture" can be super successful.

#2572 2 years ago
Quoted from BradLinden:

rai As a proud Shrek owner, I think two different themes with the same code "architecture" can be super successful.

Maybe not the best example
As long as you like it though

#2573 2 years ago
Quoted from BradLinden:

Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Maybe not the best example

I had both FG and Shrek for years.

Most would see they share the same layout, but 9/10 .. make that 99.9% … of average people would have no idea they have the same rules outline.

rd

#2574 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I had both FG and Shrek for years.
Most would see they share the same layout, but 9/10 .. make that 99.9% … of average people would have no idea they have the same rules outline.
rd

I haven't played Shrek. I was just teasing because I dislike Family Guy and mini pinball.

#2575 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I haven't played Shrek. I was just teasing because I dislike Family Guy and mini pinball.

It's not bad, but even someone that tolerates Smash Mouth like me is going to get utterly SICK of hearing that stupid song. That's the worst thing about Shrek, hands down. Way worse than a well-tuned Donkey/Stewie mini-pinball. Also, I'd argue that the mini-pinball is much BETTER than things like the stupid lower playfields like on AC/DC where you have 3-4 standups and maybe an orbit if you're lucky. Even TSPP managed to fit a small ramp and ball lock on an upper playfield, but lower playfields in general are just TRASH. The only great ones I can think of are Elektra and Black Hole.

#2576 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's not bad, but even someone that tolerates Smash Mouth like me is going to get utterly SICK of hearing that stupid song. That's the worst thing about Shrek, hands down. Way worse than a well-tuned Donkey/Stewie mini-pinball. Also, I'd argue that the mini-pinball is much BETTER than things like the stupid lower playfields like on AC/DC where you have 3-4 standups and maybe an orbit if you're lucky. Even TSPP managed to fit a small ramp and ball lock on an upper playfield, but lower playfields in general are just TRASH. The only great ones I can think of are Elektra and Black Hole.

I'd take an AC/DC lower PF with a full-size/full weight pinball all day over a Shrek/FG/Munsters one with a mini ball. I *hate* the ones with the tiny balls because the physics are just completely messed up and it's not fun.

#2577 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Oh God. I had no idea it played that song. That's enough to never pop a coin in for me lol

#2578 2 years ago

Just got the email about mine getting ready for production. I am officially excited again!

#2579 2 years ago

#94 - Just got the email from Spooky this afternoon!

#2580 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'd take an AC/DC lower PF with a full-size/full weight pinball all day over a Shrek/FG/Munsters one with a mini ball. I *hate* the ones with the tiny balls because the physics are just completely messed up and it's not fun.

Well, I guess it's a good thing that Stern agrees with you then, since they've never used that concept since, and I very sincerely doubt we ever will see it again. Personally, I'd throw BOTH of them in the fire as "things that should probably never be done ever ever again in pinball", but if I have to save one kill one.... I'm saving mini-pinball for that specific game ONLY. Fire for the rest.

#2581 2 years ago

96 just got my email ...butter or not butter

#2582 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Well, I guess it's a good thing that Stern agrees with you then, since they've never used that concept since, and I very sincerely doubt we ever will see it again. Personally, I'd throw BOTH of them in the fire as "things that should probably never be done ever ever again in pinball", but if I have to save one kill one.... I'm saving mini-pinball for that specific game ONLY. Fire for the rest.

Well, for the record, I'm not a fan of mini-lower playfields in the first place. If you're going to do it, make it a big lower one like KRULL with a full size pinball. For mini upper playfields, JJGnR is one of the better implementations. It's not an afterthought, and key to the game.

#2583 2 years ago

TheBeefSupreme What number are you?

#2584 2 years ago

Haven't had a chance to play it...probably won't until TPF I would imagine. = \

#2585 2 years ago

I had to forgo the butter option, I got it on ACNC and its awesome but just dropped $ on Godzilla Premium

#2586 2 years ago

No butter for #93
I'm broke and considering putting in a local brewery in the spring anyway.

#2587 2 years ago

#81 invoice paid last week. Waiting for the shipped email. This is where it gets tough.

#2588 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

TheBeefSupreme What number are you?

#2589 2 years ago

They are moving along but #388 is still going to be a long wait. Hopefully by then the code will no longer be an issue.

#2590 2 years ago

How long did current owners wait between getting their build email and getting their invoice? Time to move my funds around.

#2591 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

How long did current owners wait between getting their build email and getting their invoice? Time to move my funds around.

About 2 weeks for me

#2593 2 years ago

Just got an email to choose butter cab or no butter cab. No invoice yet. I'm #102

#2594 2 years ago

I finally got to play some Ultraman tonight and I have some mixed feelings. It’s shoots well and looks amazing but…. The code needs some updating for sure. You find yourself shooting shots that don’t progress to anything. It would be nice to have some sub objectives to work towards like in Iron Maiden’s cyborg multi ball. The modes seem fun enough but some callouts telling you anything would be nice.
The music and callouts need some help for sure. I know the game has to have some music from the show but having something playing that gets you pumped up or some callouts that keep things going is a must. I found it quiet at times and dull compared to some other games.
I know it’s early and they needed to get this out before Stern’s Godzilla but dang that code needs some work. I do look forward to seeing what this machine will become.

#2595 2 years ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

looks amazing but….

Sums it up.

Bowen is on it though...

#2596 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Sums it up.
Bowen is on it though...

I don't think Bowen is on it at all. I haven't read anything saying that he still is involved more to the contrary.
TPN Final Round Pinball was talking as if he was off the code entirely.. Would be nice to know whats up.

#2597 2 years ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

I finally got to play some Ultraman tonight and I have some mixed feelings. It’s shoots well and looks amazing but…. The code needs some updating for sure. You find yourself shooting shots that don’t progress to anything.

tbh this is what I like to hear. I want to know a machine shoots well because it's that primary design infrastructure that can't be fixed by code updates.
The last decade of new pinball machines for me has been this same constant cycle: play a game the month it comes out, be underwhelmed, play it a year later, get blown away.
We have a word for that: Stern.

#2598 2 years ago

I don't think Bowen is on it at all. I haven't read anything saying that he still is involved more to the contrary.
TPN Final Round Pinball was talking as if he was off the code entirely.. Would be nice to know whats up.

You must have not noticed the "nose growing" emoji.

#2599 2 years ago

Think that's a joke notice the growing nose emoji

I sure hope they know what they are doing with th code maybe having a 19 year old with no experience running it was not the best move ? Time will tell , I'm hopeful.

#2600 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

The last decade of new pinball machines for me has been this same constant cycle: play a game the month it comes out, be underwhelmed, play it a year later, get blown away.
We have a word for that: Stern.

Except Stern's gotten their act together on the last 5 games, and people forget/forgive quickly when you pump out games that quick. I think it feels particularly bad right now because Godzilla is the obvious competitor to UM (theme-wise) and the code in there is already feeling pretty polished, with the promise of more stuff on the way.

Meanwhile the only real communication we've had regarding Ultraman's code is confirmation that we were mislead about Bowen's involvement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 13,500.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 55.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-ultraman/page/52?hl=robnotto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.