IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 55.
#2401 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Many justified 2k non refundable deposits partly on the basis of Bowen being involved so I think Spooky may need to revisit the idea of bringing Bowen back even if it's in a limited role.

I'm not trying to pile on and I've played the pin, it's a blast, but I did commit to this somewhat based on the Bowen comments. What concerns me is that Fawzma has been involved on RZ and has kinda been accused of abandoning promised updates. I guess time will tell..

#2402 2 years ago

Yeah. I’m one of them. I had initially made a big deal about how important rules and depth of code were for me and that I was feeling trepidatious about a purchase because the game was essentially in the hands of a very young / inexperienced designer. I was assured (screen shot below) that Bowen would be involved as a consultant.

I do still think the game LOOKS great but RULES are the most important thing for any game. Games are inherently defined by their rules. Hoping to hear an explanation for this situation soon.

Quoted from manadams:

Many justified 2k non refundable deposits partly on the basis of Bowen being involved so I think Spooky may need to revisit the idea of bringing Bowen back even if it's in a limited role.

3B60158A-FC69-4AC1-A8EF-2D9EB9F4FD4A (resized).jpeg3B60158A-FC69-4AC1-A8EF-2D9EB9F4FD4A (resized).jpeg

#2403 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

Got my invoice today for my Ultraman Machine. So excited since I was thinking it would be Dec before I got my game. Now, I just hope my Godzilla doesn't arrive on the same day. lol

I got both of mine delivered on the same day. It was hard Pick to which one got setup first!
Godzilla LE and Ultraman #67

20211101_224122 (resized).jpg20211101_224122 (resized).jpg
#2404 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m all for them skipping shows and working on their code and getting games out and what not.
It’s not like there was any upside for them to go to expo, they can basically do seminars in podcast form, they don’t need sales right now. Hopefully they come to TPF like they have in the last as it’s more of a collector show rather than an industry show.
Anyone know when the next code update may be coming out? Any chance they stage the balls to speed up the game play?

I believe Spooky should have been at the Expo 21 show in some form.

Being part of the pinball community and having a few pins to share with the community is a good thing even if it is sold out. It did not have to be a big showing like Stern or JJP but damn even Gerry from Multimorphic made it from Texas..

Oh well old news at this point.

#2405 2 years ago
Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

I got both of mine delivered on the same day. It was hard Pick to which one got setup first!
[quoted image]

Nice! You will have to let us know thoughts on both when you get some good plays on them

#2406 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Killer Combo !! Congratulations..

#2407 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I believe Spooky should have been at the Expo 21 show in some form.
Being part of the pinball community and having a few pins to share with the community is a good thing even if it is sold out. It did not have to be a big showing like Stern or JJP but damn even Gerry from Multimorphic made it from Texas..
Oh well old news at this point.

People said they will be at the Midwest classic so they are still doing something. I don’t think it’s a big deal with them being so close and they can probably have a bigger presence there

#2408 2 years ago

Bowen is not a selling point for me. Great tutorials but how many games does he have under his belt? Why does everyone act like Bowen is some magical code fairy. If you want to clamor for a new coder, clamor for Lyman. Bowen has to make a few big hits before I care at all about what he's involved in. Bowen is great for the community. He's not a God.

Screenshot_20211102-103715_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211102-103715_Chrome (resized).jpg

#2409 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Bowen is not a selling point for me. Great tutorials but how many games does he have under his belt? Why does everyone act like Bowen is some magical code fairy. If you want to clamor for a new coder, clamor for Lyman. Bowen has to make a few big hits before I care at all about what he's involved in. Bowen is great for the community. He's not a God.
[quoted image]

No offense to Fawzma, but he’s one person trying to get 2 games done. Bowen’s work on R&M is amazing, and was a selling point. He’s was a valuable part of the Spooky brand. Speaking of Spooky’s brand, IMO it’s diminishing with this early code and fleeing of talent situation. Spooky has a lot of money - it would be wise to invest it in talent that stays. My advice to Spooky right now: Good will can vanish. If these games & the experience of owning them doesn’t make buyers happy, we’re not going to be there again for the next game.

#2410 2 years ago

Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

[quoted image]

#2411 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No offense to Fawzma, but he’s one person trying to get 2 games done. Bowen’s work on R&M is amazing, and was a selling point. He’s was a valuable part of the Spooky brand. Speaking of Spooky’s brand, IMO it’s diminishing with this early code and fleeing of talent situation. Spooky has a lot of money - it would be wise to invest it in talent that stays. My advice to Spooky right now: Good will can vanish. If these games & the experience of owning them doesn’t make buyers happy, we’re not going to be there again for the next game.

I don't blame anyone for their concern that Bowen, seemingly, hasn't been involved since the initial code review. With that said, I think we need to end the rumor that the existing code is weak. Even with early code, there are already three different multiball modes, six different single ball modes, and a collectable feature which the payer can spend on various items. Personally, I'm especially excited about the collectable features. There is potential to use that similar to the Dimensions in Rick & Morty, where you can strategically increase the scoring on specific shots. I haven't been good enough to reach them, but we also know there are going to be two different wizard modes in the game. They might be already in the newest code, I'm just not sure. Hopefully Spooky will continue to develop a working relationships with Bowen...or add Layman to the full time payroll (I can dream). I'm also interested to see how @SpookyDJ can help with coding in the future.

#2412 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No offense to Fawzma, but he’s one person trying to get 2 games done. Bowen’s work on R&M is amazing, and was a selling point

Meh. Not knocking Bowen's knowledge, but I could care less if he is involved in the production / rules on these.

#2413 2 years ago

I think they need to hire another programmer who can take some of the workload off of Fawzma. 2 games at once seem like an impossible task...

#2414 2 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

I think they need to hire another programmer who can take some of the workload off of Fawzma. 2 games at once seem like an impossible task...

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that spooky_dj is capable of programming. They announced his hire a few months ago. The dude owns a Meteor too, so he's good in my book.

#2415 2 years ago

I am all for Spooky. With that being said it is hard when the product price point is at a $9000.00. It has to be great.

No room for:: OK, good enough, it will get there, believe.

Today’s Customer is not going to settle for that .

It not the original 300 buyers anymore it is a ever expanding market Spooky is in and it is showing in the pre-order spots for sale on both pins.

#2416 2 years ago

These $700 discounts on CE preorder spots are cool, but who's gonna cut to the chase and just give me their CE spot for free so I can get into one for the same price as my standard?

After the Rick and Morty ride (I was #737) I've learned to just wait until code is mature and I've played the game myself before I consider jumping ship. Initial reports of R+M were BRUTAL, I was considering selling my spot off and on for months. Super glad I didn't though, absolutely love that game.

#2417 2 years ago

Payed Ultraman this last weekend. I didn’t like the layout watching it on a stream but I had a blast with it. If I ever see one for a good price down the road, I’m on it.

#2418 2 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

These $700 discounts

Plural?

Is there another one? If so, I may do some math later tonight and go for it and trade up from my BSE.

#2419 2 years ago

These $700 discounts on CE preorder spots are cool, but who's gonna cut to the chase and just give me their CE spot for free so I can get into one for the same price as my standard?

I was thinking about selling my standard and buy one of these spots at the discount plus you get it sooner

#2420 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Plural?
Is there another one? If so, I may do some math later tonight and go for it and trade up from my BSE.

There's one still active at $1300, #78 (and another sale pending). Another CE spot at $1500, #138.

$8300 for a Collector's Edition Ultraman seems like a steal for what you're getting, and like I said, I'm in this for the long haul. But not a good look for Spooky at the moment. Someone just sold a late-run Halloween CE spot for $1060... starting to feel like a race towards the bottom.

#2421 2 years ago

We're only two months from launch. Personally, I think way to many people purchase with the thought they would be able to turn them for quick profit. I'm going to let those individuals take the loss and see where the code is at where we're nearing the end of the run. There are only 500 Ultraman machines out there. I still think it's going to be a winner in the long run.

#2422 2 years ago

I never owned or played a Spooky game so Ultraman will be my first experience with the company. I took a gamble because I am a Ultraman fan and wanted to support it. My machine is suppose to be delivered tomorrow so I can't wait to set it up and try it out. Now if they would release a rubber guide so I can order some Titans for it.

#2423 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

I never owned or played a Spooky game so Ultraman will be my first experience with the company. I took a gamble because I am a Ultraman fan and wanted to support it. My machine is suppose to be delivered tomorrow so I can't wait to set it up and try it out. Now if they would release a rubber guide so I can order some Titans for it.

If I have some time tonight all make up a list on Titan.

#2424 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I am all for Spooky. With that being said it is hard when the product price point is at a $9000.00. It has to be great.
No room for:: OK, good enough, it will get there,

Agree. Folks are still patient, but the little guy stuff has run it’s course.
Home grown is fine, but they need to hire whatever talent is needed to compete at the big league price point.

#2425 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Agree. Folks are still patient, but the little guy stuff has run it’s course.
Home brown is fine, but also need to hire whatever talent is needed to compete at the big league price point.

That's what I said today on the Halloween thread. They are investing in buildings and tools which is great, But they need to invest in talent also...

#2426 2 years ago

So here’s the real question: who has actually played the game and been unsatisfied and therefore is dumping?! No one.

Pinball in general is hot right now. Everyone is chasing the newest and shiniest following Ultraman. Godzilla. Cactus canyon. Lords of Valhalla.

But With Ultraman, you’ve got like 350 CEs only. The true limited of the limited of all the shiny stuff. And it looks fantastic. Once these start finding homes where people appreciate the game versus chasing shiny…there will be no supply.

Ultraman is probably better positioned for value in the long haul versus anything else.

The fact that some people are selling spots at a discount has nothing to do with spooky or the game. My assumption is that most People selling at a loss now are literally chasing quick cash. They’ve been buying machines when they just don’t have the true means to do so. And now they have FOMO for the next release.

#2427 2 years ago

There's one still active at $1300, #78 (and another sale pending). Another CE spot at $1500, #138.
$8300 for a Collector's Edition Ultraman seems like a steal for what you're getting, and like I said, I'm in this for the long haul. But not a good look for Spooky at the moment. Someone just sold a late-run Halloween CE spot for $1060... starting to feel like a race towards the bottom.

Agreed! That's why I picked up CE 259 for $1300, even though I was down for a CE 350 all ready. Too good of deal to pass up, and it gets me a game almost 100 spots sooner. But not too soon, as I want more code updates and the Beta Capsule pre-installed.

When 350 comes due, I'll either sell it or route it then, I suppose.

#2428 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

So here’s the real question: who has actually played the game and been unsatisfied and therefore is dumping?! No one.
Pinball in general is hot right now. Everyone is chasing the newest and shiniest following Ultraman. Godzilla. Cactus canyon. Lords of Valhalla.
But With Ultraman, you’ve got like 350 CEs only. The true limited of the limited of all the shiny stuff. And it looks fantastic. Once these start finding homes where people appreciate the game versus chasing shiny…there will be no supply.
Ultraman is probably better positioned for value in the long haul versus anything else.
My assumption is that most People selling at a loss now are literally chasing quick cash. They’ve been buying machines when they just don’t have the true means to do so. And now they have FOMO for the next release.

I think there are a lot of people seeing something more desirable being released. I probably wouldn’t of bought ultraman if Godzilla would of been released prior. I got it because my son likes Godzilla and ultraman had a character similar. I’m only in on a standard and for 7k a standard is a really good price to me so I’ll most likely keep my spot

#2429 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Meh. Not knocking Bowen's knowledge, but I could care less if he is involved in the production / rules on these.

Awesome! Tell all your friends #393 BSE is up for grabs!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/123755

#2430 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Awesome! Tell all your friends #393 BSE is up for grabs!

I've got $1250 for you if you want out bad eenough to take it...oh, wait. It's a BSE. I'll give you $1000.

#2431 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

I’ve played it, and I wasn’t totally unsatisfied, but the state of the rules left me not knowing what type of game it’s going to be. I also didn’t like the inlane lifters, and not sure if they can improve the A/V/lights choreography to make them “more fun”. I was hoping Bowen and/or Eric would have some involvement since they did such a stellar job with R&M…so, without them, it’s a more of a toss-up as to how this game will end up.

I’m any case, the reason I put my spot up for sale almost has nothing to do with this. I have to sell a game to get a game…and since I don’t know how this game will turn out, it makes me more hesitant to sell one of my classics. On top of that, I have some personal drama with the company tasked with delivering my game that I won’t bore you with.

That being said, I’m not going to sell my spot at a loss. If no one bites by the time delivery comes, I’ll be in the club still.

#2432 2 years ago

I'm pursuing buying a pre-order spot: what's the recommended process for making that transaction?

-How do I confirm the person actually owns the spot?
-How should I pay them (PayPal?), and
-How do I complete the actual order transfer?

(I imagine the answer might be slightly different if the person had ordered through Spooky or through a distributor). Thanks for any insight you can offer!

#2433 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yeah. I’m one of them. I had initially made a big deal about how important rules and depth of code were for me and that I was feeling trepidatious about a purchase because the game was essentially in the hands of a very young / inexperienced designer. I was assured (screen shot below) that Bowen would be involved as a consultant.
I do still think the game LOOKS great but RULES are the most important thing for any game. Games are inherently defined by their rules. Hoping to hear an explanation for this situation soon.

Yea, I didn’t buy Ultraman based on Bowen’s involvement…but the unbelievably superb code, rules, callouts, music, and lightshow of R&M is directly what caused me to buy Ultraman.

We are still super early on the code, so perhaps they can reach the level of theme integration R&M finished on, they certainly have a lot to work with on Ultraman and the layout and artwork are both really superb. Ultraman has a high ceiling, being coupled in the code department with Halloween hopefully won’t impede its development. Time will tell.

#2434 2 years ago
Quoted from BradLinden:

-How do I confirm the person actually owns the spot?

I have plenty of screenshots. You can also email [email protected] and ask if Michael Mattsson has put a deposit down on UMBSE #393.

Quoted from BradLinden:

-How should I pay them (PayPal?), and

I accept PayPal (Friends and Family), bank wire, cash or check.

Quoted from BradLinden:

-How do I complete the actual order transfer?

When funds have cleared. I'll let Squirrel know that game #393 now belongs to you (with all your details).

#2435 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

I have plenty of screenshots. You can also email [email protected] and ask if Michael Mattsson has put a deposit down on UMBSE #393.

I accept PayPal (Friends and Family), bank wire, cash or check.

When funds have cleared. I'll let Squirrel know that game #393 now belongs to you (with all your details).

Haha, thank you for the helpful info and bonus sales pitch

#2436 2 years ago

We will be Streaming our New Ultrman CE at 7pm Eastern on Twitch @ Motorcitypinball

#2437 2 years ago

We will be Streaming our New Ultrman CE at 7pm Eastern on Twitch @ Motorcitypinball

Interesting problem at the beginning with the left inlane (@09:52).

#2438 2 years ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Interesting problem at the beginning with the left inlane (@09:52).

Yea I have to look into that! Its like a cliffy there. Thin metal. I will keep posted on situation.

#2439 2 years ago

Man this game is really fun to shoot and is very challenging. The lights and OST is killer. Videos don't do it justice. Can't imagine what it will be like when the code is complete.

20211103_220008 (resized).jpg20211103_220008 (resized).jpg
#2440 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

Man this game is really fun to shoot and is very challenging. The lights and OST is killer. Videos don't do it justice. Can't imagine what it will be like when the code is complete.
[quoted image]

Man, that art looks killer. If there wasn't a million other games out right now, everyone would be drooling over this thing.

#2441 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

[quoted image]

Still no shooter rod. Does the fan still sound like a faint car horn?

Doesnt look butter...? Colors & art are amazing.

Keep hoping the game turns out to be a patient shooter. Lots of precise shooting.

Cant help but think the heads up needs to be reduced and the campy 4x3 aspect should be bigger or a more layered approach.
F5C84AA1-D06A-4628-9BB7-7FB01F9712EA (resized).jpegF5C84AA1-D06A-4628-9BB7-7FB01F9712EA (resized).jpeg

#2442 2 years ago

I love the look of the display. Feels very retro and part of the show.

#2443 2 years ago

It's retro, but having larger screens would still be much better.

#2444 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

It's retro, but having larger screens would still be much better.

At least in certain parts when the monsters are fighting and what not. Is it a resolution issue? I figured Ultraman was recorded on film lines BM66 so it should be in HD, but maybe I’m wrong?

#2445 2 years ago

I feel like there is a much better way to present the info while still feeling retro and not feel like I am looking at my score through a Gottlieb System 80b display.

#2446 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

At least in certain parts when the monsters are fighting and what not. Is it a resolution issue? I figured Ultraman was recorded on film lines BM66 so it should be in HD, but maybe I’m wrong?

Yes, full HD ultraman assets are available.

#2447 2 years ago

Yeah, the 4:3 footage is too small. There's a tone of grey space on the screen that is doing nothing. If they just made the footage bigger and let the wasted space suck that up, it would be much better. Love how this game is coming along.

#2448 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yes, full HD ultraman assets are available.

Hmm, the fight scenes at least then need to get the full screen treatment in my view…though I get the screen ratios are still not the same as the footage is in the pre flat panel box style. All the same, let the footage be as big as it can be for the action scenes in my view.

#2449 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hmm, the fight scenes at least then need to get the full screen treatment in my view…though I get the screen ratios are still not the same as the footage is in the pre flat panel box style. All the same, let the footage be as big as it can be for the action scenes in my view.

Here’s a thought. It seems like there’s “neutral” footage that just loops - and I’m not sure if it’s in there or not, but there should be footage that represents shots made. What if they kept the small/HUD view for “looping/neutral” footage, but cut to full
screen (maybe even cropped to fit 16:9) for a clip that represents a shot made or target hit?

I think that would be a nice visual cue for shots made…kinda like how DMD games blast up a quick clip to go with a shot.

#2450 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yeah, there's a nice Ultraman blu-ray out there. And the video quality is pretty nice.

Speaking of small video, that's one of my gripes about Stern's Star Wars. Tons of clips, but most of them only take up a quarter of the screen. Dwight did this to accommodate mode stacking, but it sucks that the clips are still small even when you aren't stacking modes.

So I'm not sure why the clips would be small on UM.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
8,800 (OBO)
$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods
Interactive
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 300.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods
Decorations
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nipomo, CA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.
Toppers
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 55.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-ultraman/page/49?hl=lifefloat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.