IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 55.
#2051 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When I played, the lifter “warning sound” is very loud and bassy…but there’s no “eject sound”…so there’s a build up sound, and then it’s like whoa there the ball!

I’d don’t mean a big flasher show - but an animated sweep to drive your attention. LOTR sweeps the lights toward the shooter lane when a ball is there, ready to launch. The cool thing about Ultra’s lights is that the effect could be much cooler. Have you seen the end of ball lights on TNA? There are all these white “sparkles”. R&M ha a similar “sparkle” effect during Moonmen. So, just imagine - all the other inserts & GI stay on - but a sweep of white sparkles “animate” toward the left or right flipper. I dunno, I think it would be look really nice & drive your eye to the lifter that’s about to eject.

No I agree with you on all of your points. I just don't want a large scale lightshow for an event that happens a lot like the lifters. I do agree though it has to be more prominent. I personally feel like another sound on the high end would work much like Williams did with their scoop ejects.

#2052 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

No I agree with you on all of your points. I just don't want a large scale lightshow for an event that happens a lot like the lifters. I do agree though it has to be more prominent. I personally feel like another sound on the high end would work much like Williams did with their scoop ejects.

Cool, yeah I'm not advocating for "large scale"....just a more obvious "look here, listen, ball" sequence. I think that's just the nature of a feature like this that the player cannot see or "feel". The lifters are covered by plastics & are quiet when ejecting. Even though I know to look for the ball coming...I still lost the ball a few times due to the weirdness of it. We're used to a "pop" from a scoop when a ball ejects. There's not enough feedback right now to give you that sense of knowledge & timing.

#2053 2 years ago

What happens during multi ball when a ball is going over the lifter when it activates? Is there a risk to the plastics over the lanes? I know from experience on my Spiderman that loading 3 balls at the same time into Sandman crushes the plastics in that area. I hope that something like this isn’t possible on this game.

#2054 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hey guys, I played the game at Ayce Gogi today!
Here are my first impressions & some constructive suggestions for the team:
The good:
-Absolutely gorgeous. Very few games just “pop” like this. Stunning art, playfield quality, and lighting. I have sensitive eyes & didn’t feel like it was too bright. Perfect lighting, IMO.
-Shots are really smooth. Shots that loop around to other places just feel really nice. Flippers feel awesome, everything feels as it should.
-Light shows are gorgeous so far. There’s a weird trick going on when it flashes red & white - it makes the playfield look like it’s rippling…really cool!
The “bad” (but things that can be fixed in software):
-Halloween seems to have this same issue, but the sound mix is a bit strange. Music needs to be louder, and some sound FX need to be dialed back. The slings sound effect is way too loud and really annoying. It definitely needs to be lowered, but I’d even recommend finding a different sound effect that isn’t so grating. Slings are constantly going off, so you want something cool & not off putting.
-Seems to need way more clips & callouts…but I get that this is early code & that will come.
-I was afraid I wouldn’t dig the inlane lifters, and after playing, I’ll be honest - I kind of wish the scoops just fired back. That being said, I think with A/V & light choreography, this can be “fixed”. The main issue right now is that when you shoot a scoop & are waiting for the lifter, nothing is really happening. Then, there are flashers by the flipper and a “bass buildup” sound…but then the ball just rolls. It’s anti-climactic, if that makes sense, and you’re kinda just guessing as to when the ball is gonna appear. Here’s what I think can help fix this:
1. After the “bass buildup” sound, there needs to be some kind of eject sound to let you know the ball is there. Some kind of impact sound or maybe one of Ultraman’s weird vocal sounds.
2. A better choreographed light show. With the full RGB LEDs, you can program an animated “sweep” of lights toward the flipper/lift and maybe end it with some other sparkle or swirl effects…maybe a little “outward blast” effect when the ball pops out (like the recent Godzilla stomp light show)
3. If there’s a switch in the scoop, I think there should be some kind of video & voice over that “kills time” as the ball is traveling. Maybe Ultraman on the screen doing an action move, and when he yells or shoots a weapon, that’s synced with the ball popping out. Maybe a callout that says something like “watch the right flipper! Ball is appearing…now!”
Anyway, it was cool to play the game before mine shows up. That’s a weird thing these days haha…looking forward to seeing the game evolve and grow. The “bones” are all there. Just needs some of that extra sauce.

Funny how we got a comprehensive review from someone who doesn't currently have the game in their possession. This is what I've been waiting to read. Many thanks for the great write-up. Much respect!

#2055 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrg50:

What happens during multi ball when a ball is going over the lifter when it activates? Is there a risk to the plastics over the lanes? I know from experience on my Spiderman that loading 3 balls at the same time into Sandman crushes the plastics in that area. I hope that something like this isn’t possible on this game.

I watched this closely while playing and I did see a a risers activate while a ball was directly on top. What happened was the ball on top moved up backwards, up the outlane. The flap the covering the risers essentially forms a backwards ramp. Beyond that, the plastics are attached with quick connectors and would pop off before breaking.

#2056 2 years ago

I think some destroyed buildings like this would make for a cool overlay. Have the buildings on the side to help reduce the size down to 4:3 with the movie clips playing in the background. It would look like you seeing what's happening from inside your damaged apartment building. Simple animations might include some fire, sparks, dust, and rubble swirling around. I might even have an old TV on the side of the rubble to show that you were watching some old episodes of "not Godzilla" before the attack. Maybe that TV could even help with the transition between the comic artwork to the episode clips.

ultraman2_fixw_640_hq (resized).jpgultraman2_fixw_640_hq (resized).jpg

#2057 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Waiting for the ball to travel the subways was my main concern when watching the stream. Staged balls on both lifters would take care of this flow killer. I hope it can happen!

Luke already mentioned a few times he was working on the code to stage a ball at each lifter (or maybe just the left side?). As I recall there was some issue that needed to be resolved (and was). Hopefully we'll see this in the next major update.

#2058 2 years ago

Wonder how many games have gone to public now.. I am hoping Late Oct / Nov.

I'm trying not to watch the stream plays and what not. I like to have some surprises .
Sold my Black Belt to cover the Butter Cabinet & shipping cost. Can't wait.

#2059 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Overwhelmingly my biggest complaint is the display interface. The Ultraman video assets are so cool, but they're showed on the small postage stamp monitor in the middle.
Hopefully seeing how amazing the Godzilla clips looked in that reveal convinces Spooky that they should let the clips come to life more than they are now. I know they want the retro monitor vibe, but please find a way to do it that's more functional. The screen is tiny, the scores are tiny, etc. I'm likely going to have this next to a Godzilla, and hopefully the clips in this game aren't dwarfed by the ones in Godzilla.

Really hoping that Spooky will increase the postage stamp screen to its maximum size, as @ipeters82 showed in his example of TMNT show material maximum screen size. The Ultraman show assets are much more appealing to see than the constant static control screen. After all we are into this IP because of Ultraman, so shouldn’t he be large on the LCD?

#2060 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Really hoping that Spooky will increase the postage stamp screen to its maximum size, as @ipeters82 showed in his example of TMNT show material maximum screen size. The Ultraman show assets are much more appealing to see than the constant static control screen. After all we are into this IP because of Ultraman, so shouldn’t he be large on the LCD?

I’m guessing they chose to frame it like B66 did due to the material being 4:3 & the LCD being 16:9. That said, they could blow it up bigger & still frame it with some art (but not as much). They might be planning on using that extra space of the frame for info, though. Stern tends to do that on many of their LCD games.

#2061 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’m guessing they chose to frame it like B66 did due to the material being 4:3 & the LCD being 16:9. That said, they could blow it up bigger & still frame it with some art (but not as much). They might be planning on using that extra space of the frame for info, though. Stern tends to do that on many of their LCD games.

You could easily double the area of that screen and still keep a 4:3 ratio.

PS: I'm not trying to pile on Spooky. From what we've seen Ultraman already has some amazing video assets. Hopefully there can be some small changes implemented that can help better highlight the clips.

#2062 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Wonder how many games have gone to public now.. I am hoping Late Oct / Nov.
Can't wait.

I wonder the same. Luke said they've completed 70 games in all. You'd think there would 20 Ultraman's in the world.

#2063 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

I wonder the same. Luke said they've completed 70 games in all. You'd think there would 20 Ultraman's in the world.

Only about 24% of the Ultraman pins purchased are flagged as Pinsiders.
of the first 50 only 8 have raised their hand on Pinside.

They are starting to get out there but i suspect the majority will not be advertised as to where.

#2064 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

I am a bit alarmed myself about that myself lol. It seems many people are not really posting on social media as they get there game. We completed 6 ultraman just today alone there are plenty out there.

#2065 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

I am a bit alarmed myself about that myself lol. It seems many people are not really posting on social media as they get there game. We completed 6 ultraman just today alone there are plenty out there.

@SpookyLuke

I'm #16 and have been patiently waiting for the phone to ring!

#2066 2 years ago

First numbers are always a little off with friends and family and select locations getting early games for testing. I'm sure you will be very soon.

#2067 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

First numbers are always a little off with friends and family and select locations getting early games for testing. I'm sure you will be very soon.

I'm not concerned. Its just the lack of publicity makes it seem like there aren't but a handful of Ultraman out there. I will be sure to post pics and video of mine when it arrives.

#2068 2 years ago

Me too.

#2069 2 years ago

Me too! #67 Ultraman BTW

#2070 2 years ago
Quoted from kettchxxii:

Nothing like a league night tonight to break it in. . . Wish us luck!
[quoted image]

Game looks badass. A hell of a lot different than Halloween!!! Congrats!!!!

#2071 2 years ago

I might share some stills but I sure as heck won't be posting any videos on Pinside only to be told they're to shaky, grainy, too dark, too bright, too short, too long, too quiet, or too loud. But mostly because I'm just not that good.

#2072 2 years ago

Correct me if I’m wrong - but I don’t believe Spooky has ever said they fulfill orders in strict chronological game number order. I believe they just said we do CEs first, BSEs second and SEs last.

JJP certainly does it that way - it’s not uncommon to see LE game #800 get shipped several weeks before #700 for instance.

I would understand if Spooky needed to produce all Australian games at once to fill a shipping container or some similar circumstance. I would also bet there’s a lot of shuffling at first to get games on location, to beta testers, etc.

#2073 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Correct me if I’m wrong - but I don’t believe Spooky has ever said they fulfill orders in strict chronological game number order.

Keyword strict.
They are pretty darn good at rolling out by build number.
I think of the deviations as exceptions.

#2074 2 years ago
Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

Me too! #67 Ultraman BTW

I added yours to the list. If anyone here hasn't got their game on the list yet, let me know.
I figured pinside would cover about 30-40% of the Ultraman games out there.
So far we've got 20% of them accounted for.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultraman-owners-machine-numbers-list-1/page/3#post-6462008

#2075 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I added yours to the list. If anyone here hasn't got their game on the list yet, let me know.
I figured pinside would cover about 30-40% of the Ultraman games out there.
So far we've got 20% of them accounted for.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultraman-owners-machine-numbers-list-1/page/3#post-6462008

#191 CE here

#2076 2 years ago

I'm really loving the music in these Ultraman videos. It reminds me a lot of The Aquabats.

Though I'm now realizing that, with their love for superheroes and giant costumed monsters, The Aquabats were probably inspired by Ultraman (and similar) all along...

#2077 2 years ago
Quoted from BradLinden:

I'm really loving the music in these Ultraman videos. It reminds me a lot of The Aquabats. Though I'm now realizing that, with their love for superheroes and giant costumed monsters, The Aquabats were probably inspired by Ultraman (and similar) all along...

In terms of the music, I think all roads lead to DICK DALE.

#2078 2 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

In terms of the music, I think all roads lead to DICK DALE.

Yeah daddio!

#2079 2 years ago

I played UM at Pinfest and have one on order. It and HW are equal to or better than GZ in terms of new design and fun factor. Fun fun fun, everyone dropping HW will regret it big time.

Pinball is at its best right now and I’ve been playing for…
Well… I played original Kiss back in the day…
Been a while..

Nothing compares to machines that are coming out now, it’s no wonder there’s a resurgence, these games are friggin way cooler. Over!

#2080 2 years ago

Picking mine up tomorrow.

#2081 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Awesome! Congratulations!!

#2082 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Lucky bastard. I’m 201. Can’t wait….
Awesome game!!!

#2083 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Congrats! Seems you have a very low # so not sure why just receiving now? However, I know we'd all love to see video as the one from the stream is unfortunately filled with problems.. It would be great to see the machine in action without any chatter. I think this is the most unique & best machine out there at the moment, just haven't seen much yet.

#2084 2 years ago

I told Spooky I'd be okay with others getting games ahead of me. I'm obviously excited to get the game, but I wasn't worried if they needed to get some on route or shows. I'll try to take some pictures and videos.

#2085 2 years ago

Mandatory for a Pulp Fiction pin!

#2086 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

There are a bunch done in boxes as well as more ready to be boxed. Atleast 20 I believe!

And mine is now in rout to Louisiana! Thank you Spooky!!!

#2087 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

And mine is now in rout to Louisiana! Thank you Spooky!!!

Did you go butter? I am excited to see your pics!

#2088 2 years ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Did you go butter? I am excited to see your pics!

Alas, in the end I couldn’t get PavBall ’s consent to go butter. Had she been able to see one in person first I think I would have been more successful in my pleas on that front.

I plan to unbox it on October 2nd. We have some friends coming over for it. Can’t wait!

#2089 2 years ago

#2090 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Looks gorgeous!

#2091 2 years ago

Nice video - thanks for sharing

#2092 2 years ago

Thanks for making that walk through of the playfield up close. Looking forward to seeing early gameplay. Don't worry about your skill just have fun and the game play will shine through

#2093 2 years ago

Uploading a gamplay video now. I had a friend over and asked him to record. He replied, "I didn't come over to record you playing pinball. I came over to play." ... So, I recorded him playing.

#2094 2 years ago

Thanks for the video @lpeters82. And so you know that is Ultraman's signature on the plaque. Bin Furuya.

#2095 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Uploading a gamplay video now. I had a friend over and asked him to record. He replied, "I didn't come over to record you playing pinball. I came over to play." ... So, I recorded him playing.

Lol. Friendship!

#2096 2 years ago

Alright...gameplay video one uploaded. Sorry for the low quality I'm not sure why it uploaded like that. The original video on my phone looks much better. Anyway, you get to see a few different modes including Jirahs and Balton, which I keep calling Zeton in the video for some reason. My friend also started a few of the Pigmon modes. Unfortunately, you don't get to see my favorite one, which involves hitting a specific drop target. One suggestion I do have for Spooky would be to keep the colors of those Pigmon modes consistent. They can be stacked with the main modes, so a consistent color would really help drive home what you need to shoot for each mode. Right now these modes use purple or green, but for example, Balton shots are also green. When you have a Pigmon modes that also involves shooting green shots it gets confusing. I'm sure we'll get little tweaks like this with code updates.

#2097 2 years ago

Here is the worst example we had of a ball being on top of the inlane servo when it activated. As you can see in the short clip, the ball on top is just pushed backwards by the flap covering the servo.

#2098 2 years ago

Thanks for the vids!

I think spooky should do the display like EHOH- it runs in window mode yet constantly pops out to full screen to play clips

#2099 2 years ago

Thank you for posting up. Been hanging out to see some more.

Ultraman looks exceptional. No complaints on the video clips that get played.
Looking at the two it would appear they had an easier licensee. Any tweaks from here can only improve it.

Only only fear is my 8 and 10 year old going to kick my butt on it.

#2100 2 years ago

Here is the full Ragon mode. This is one of many Pigmon modes currently programed. It's not super sharp playing, and for some of it he's shooting to stack Balton, but he eventually gets through the full mode. I do love that you have a starting and finishing shot at the Beta Capsule. That way the player gets a chance to watch the screen as the kaiju is introduced and defeated. I'd probably pause the ball there longer, with the option for the player to skip the animations with a double flip. Another suggestion would be to make those final shots a hurry up...similar to Deadpool.

PS: Oh, I'd also have a high score champion or speed champion for each kaiju battle. Those extra opportunities to enter your initials help keep me engaged even if I have a bad first ball. It keeps me really focused on each specific mode.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
8,800 (OBO)
$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods
Interactive
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 300.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods
Decorations
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Arabi, LA
Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.
Toppers
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 55.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-ultraman/page/42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.