IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 55.
#1451 9 months ago

Jesus, before this gets any more overblown, they already said on another thread that they had them turned down for the show. There's nothing wrong with the flippers that we know of yet.

#1452 9 months ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

I noticed one comment about the flippers feeling weak. Did anyone else that played it feel this way?
To me, that was one concern I was hoping Spooky would improve for their next titles.
How about shots, did they feel closer to smooth or clunky?
Thanks everyone for sharing videos and opinions!

Not sure if it was a factor but I played very early in the day and the flippers didn’t feel weak at all to me.

#1453 9 months ago

Yup, you would think this is common knowledge by now.

Quoted from Frax:

Jesus, before this gets any more overblown, they already said on another thread that they had them turned down for the show. There's nothing wrong with the flippers that we know of yet.

#1454 9 months ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Typically they will turn down coil strengths when they know the game will be played all day long.

I will never understand this.

#1455 9 months ago

Comments from playing Ultraman yesterday at Allentown:
1) The game was fun but I didn’t know what I was doing so my play didn’t last long. One ball was ejected to the inlane and I let I roll down the flipper without knowing it was was there. There was a unique sound and a flashing light so I should have realized where the ball was.
2) strip lights were not an irritant.
3) The flippers seemed to be strong enough.

Talk to Spooky:
1) The strip lights were set to 50% brightness on the game at Allentown.
2) They lifted the playfield and the circuit board mounted to the bottom of the playfield was toward the back of the cabinet. It didn’t look like there should be an issue with access.
3) They brought Ultraman to Allentown because Charlie was at another convention with Halloween.
4) I believe they said that the code currently had “14 modes” (not 100 % sure of number) and that they would continue adding to the code.
5) They were worried about whether they could obtain enough butter cabinets from their supplier if they included as a default.

#1456 9 months ago

Well I guess you’ve never played a single game for 20 hours straight for three days in a row then haha. Turning the power down and allowing one ball per player reduces the likelihood of the coil completely burning out or resetting and making the game look like a total piece of shit in front of 500 potential buyers with big mouths and access to the internet...That’s all. Pretty simple haha

Quoted from chuckwurt:

#1457 9 months ago

These videos give me mixed feelings. I definitely want to see a stream of play. Hoping dead flips is in a couple days and they run through the play/rules

#1458 9 months ago

These VIDEOS make me want to puke...but the game still looks RAD.

Quoted from Happy81724:

These videos give me mixed feelings. I definitely want to see a stream of play. Hoping dead flips is in a couple days and they run through the play/rules

#1459 9 months ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Well I guess you’ve never played a single game for 20 hours straight for three days in a row then haha. Turning the power down and allowing one ball per player reduces the likelihood of the coil completely burning out or resetting and making the game look like a total piece of shit in front of 500 potential buyers with big mouths and access to the internet...That’s all. Pretty simple haha

Weak flippers make games look a total piece of shit in front of potential buyers. I had a WOZ on pre-order, and when I played it at a show - I immediately cancelled because the flippers felt like absolute ass after we were promised B/W feel.

Making games weak on purpose at a show does nothing positive.

#1460 9 months ago

They do it for a reason. Do you like it? no. Do I? no. Are you a pinball manufacturer? No. Me neither. Next subject.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Weak flippers make games look a total piece of shit in front of potential buyers. I had a WOZ on pre-order, and when I played it at a show - I immediately cancelled because the flippers felt like absolute ass after we were promised B/W feel.

#1461 9 months ago
Quoted from Mrg50:

2) strip lights were not an irritant.

Good to know! One of my concerns.

#1462 9 months ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Well I guess you’ve never played a single game for 20 hours straight for three days in a row then haha.

I know why flippers fade. Don’t sacrifice the performance of your product because you’re afraid the flippers will fade over the course of the weekend. Add fans or do something else to keep It at top level all weekend.

These games have been on location for years. If they are brand new to pinball or have a new system in place, I get it, but treat it like any other game at the show. Come prepared to fix it and keep it up all weekend.

Walking up to a new game with soggy flippers is the worst way to show it off.

Not saying this is how Ultraman played, just speaking in general.

#1463 9 months ago

Perfect example. Alien was brought to Pinbrew. The flippers were turned way down. I assume for the reasons previously mentioned. The game still didn’t last all weekend. Not sure why turning the flippers down below stock improves the game’s chances of staying operational all weekend.

#1464 9 months ago

Given the past R&M issues, I would think they'd want to have the flippers dialed in so there is no doubt. I can understand where knowing it is going to be played constantly they might be taking some precautions though. Glad people are at least getting a chance to flip them and the less it is broken down during that time the better. However, these games have no huge ramps that require flipper strength...so I would hope they would be affected less by fade than R&M.

#1465 9 months ago
Quoted from Mrg50:

5) They were worried about whether they could obtain enough butter cabinets from their supplier if they included as a default.

...........were they planning on asking for a thousand extra bucks for the game then?

#1466 9 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I like the visual indicators where the ball is coming out.

They are a bit weak compared to the old fashioned flasher dome unfortunately. The game tries to highlight the exit point/time... but it still catches people off guard. Subway to the inlanes takes some getting used to. The flasher effect in the sling isn't necessarily high profile.

#1467 9 months ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

I noticed one comment about the flippers feeling weak. Did anyone else that played it feel this way?
To me, that was one concern I was hoping Spooky would improve for their next titles.
How about shots, did they feel closer to smooth or clunky?
Thanks everyone for sharing videos and opinions!

Flippers felt great. Shot pattern was varied and nothing felt clunky IMO. Tho some things do feel kinda less refined... like the ball drop from the upper PF is kinda odd, and the airball deflector needed for the drop targets.

#1468 9 months ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

vs ensuring the game will play poorer for 100% of people.

One thing is easily fixed *IF* it happened - the other is guaranteed to happen.

And yes, we do run games for many days straight... You should checkout Super Magfest sometime.... 24hr huge arcade for 3+ days.

#1469 9 months ago

This is not a nitpick or gripe whatsoever, but I do wish the artwork had some Japanese language (not just the OSD). Of course, I understand why it's in English. For example, it would be awesome if you could flip over the English apron insert cards and have them in Japanese. It would've been a cool touch. Perhaps someone will create Japanese versions. Anyways, many props to Spooky for offering a Japanese gameplay option. I can't wait to see & hear it.

#1470 9 months ago

I haven't watched video of others playing as we just got home. We played the very first games after they setup on Friday AM before the show opened.. and I got back in line again later to play later on Friday.

Random thoughts

- Game looks cool - the art style is busy and detailed. Looks very polished at first glance and appealing
- The topper felt like 'oh, had some portal motors left?' but is appreciated they make an effort. It looks neat, just not wow. On R&M as the the throw-in it got a bit of pass because of it. Still better than nothing.
- The LED strips look poor for people watching the game IMO. The shields help with the player position, but I'm still not really sold on their installation. The effects they are doing with them are great though
- The mini-playfields were pretty engaging.. didn't get much time on them obviously but the potential there looks great
- The magnet hold for the 3rd level PF is neat when it does it, but the drop is pretty cheezy IMO due to that springy/bouncing action
- Initial reaction with the new boardset is 'looks like it all works great!' - flippers, effects, etc all looked and felt great
- The game is a bit like ACNC where one will have to play and explore to figure out all the ball paths - its not immediately obvious how one thing leads to another or how to feed different parts of the PF
- Initial reaction to the shots and ball paths was 'cool, new, unique' - This is NOT led zeppelin and it's boring ass PF!!
- Game could play long once people got going. Our guy basically walked away from the game because it was going for so long with what he was doing. I saw another blow it up for a long time as well. I know they quickly shifted from 2ball to 1 to help with turnover. I didn't watch enough to form an opinion why or what was different... but right away it pretty clear long balls were common.
- The mechs that fed the inlanes all worked great in my limited experience. No noticble noise, crudeness or anything. Both inlanes are covered by large stacked plastics. I didn't get enough time to feel if the blocked inlane was a negative or not, or see how they worked in multiball. It will take some getting used to for players... the lighting effects and timing for the balls coming out are there, but its still unnatural and I assume difficult for newer players. I know several of us who all missed balls even tho we knew this gimmick was there
- The multiple ball paths (or even exits) were quite interesting to discover. It's not really clear where everything is at first glance... or exits from the second PF are suprising, etc. It has a lot of variety there that makes the game instantly a curiosity you want to experiment more with.

Now, onto the media, directing, display, sound...
First to be clear, I am not some ultraman nut - I knew of it, but barely skin deep

- The game plays to the campy feel of these period shows and that feel conveys with the video and sound - it's a match!
- On the flip side of that though, I worry some maybe offended by the period representations of characters, etc.
- The screen setup right now plays to that TV style, with just a center video window surrounded by mostly static backdrop with the player scores around it. The video assets really feel like DVD clip-show right now. Obviously direct content from the show is appreciated... but at least at this stage, I think the game is lacking in the direction of how it integrates user guidance, status, and the media. Feels very much like a skeleton is in place, but lacks the coheison/polish that entertain and lead the player through the experience.

Kinda gives me throwsbacks to BM66 when it was new... obviously same campy TV feel, the TV clipshows, small text over video guiding you what to do. Don't get me wrong, the game is VERY playable as it stands... I never saw anything that felt like placeholders, or obvious 'blank spaces'. But in terms of the production of the media experience... it feels behind where R&M first shipments and feels pretty 'basic'. The UX on the display is pretty basic, and does take some attention to really read what things say, etc.
- I couldn't really make out the sounds/voices that much to form an opinion.

The PF looks like a huge attempt and the uniqueness is really appreciated. With some polish and more interaction I hope to appreciate the software more as well.

Thank you spooky crew for making the trip! it was nice chatting with folks and THANK YOU JOE for once again being the gem of the allentown show with what you bring in for all of us!

#1471 9 months ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

They do it for a reason. Do you like it? no. Do I? no. Are you a pinball manufacturer? No. Me neither. Next subject.

It’s a nonsense reason. These machines are meant to be played thousands of times on location. If they can’t last the weekend at normal power, there are problems.

#1472 9 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Feels very much like a skeleton is in place, but lacks the coheison/polish that entertain and lead the player through the experience.

That's exactly what I was thinking watching the Halloween video, but I'm thinking that this really is just skeleton code designed for public display to minimize licensing drama, especially with what was said on the other thread by the guy doing the video work. Once they start actually shipping games, that really doesn't apply, because you can't tell a private owner not to upload a youtube video or whatever.

#1473 9 months ago
Quoted from highdef:

This is not a nitpick or gripe whatsoever, but I do wish the artwork had some Japanese language (not just the OSD). Of course, I understand why it's in English. For example, it would be awesome if you could flip over the English apron insert cards and have them in Japanese. It would've been a cool touch. Perhaps someone will create Japanese versions. Anyways, many props to Spooky for offering a Japanese gameplay option. I can't wait to see & hear it.

In the Collecting All Monsters podcast interview, the Spooky folks said the voice actor they hired did call outs in both English and Japanese for them, fwiw -- they clearly were strongly interested in paying respect to Japan in the interview, so I am guessing there's going to be a way to at least turn the callouts on. That's not a localized version, of course, but it's something.

Did y'all know there's already been an Ultraman pinball machine? My friend Kevin saw one, I think, when he did a pilgrimage to a collection of native-manufactured machines in Japan some years back. Here's the IPDB entry.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6068

#1474 9 months ago
Quoted from Lawlor_and_Order:

In the Collecting All Monsters podcast interview, the Spooky folks said the voice actor they hired did call outs in both English and Japanese for them, fwiw -- they clearly were strongly interested in paying respect to Japan in the interview, so I am guessing there's going to be a way to at least turn the callouts on. That's not a localized version, of course, but it's something.
Did y'all know there's already been an Ultraman pinball machine? My friend Kevin saw one, I think, when he did a pilgrimage to a collection of native-manufactured machines in Japan some years back. Here's the IPDB entry.
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6068

Curiously Pinside does not have this in its own machine database...

#1475 9 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We were first in line at the door today and also to play the machine. The line was never more than 6 people long so we got to play it 6 times. Bug and the other spooky guys were always nearby offering tips to players. I am very picky about flipper feel and they felt good. My reference or standard for flipper feel is the MB that I bought NIB back in the 90’s. I was expecting to be underwhelmed but was pleasantly surprised with the machine.

0D716389-45BD-49A9-85D6-40AB26C116A7 (resized).jpeg5D1431BB-14CE-4A57-A98A-3B3E7944BD9A (resized).jpeg
#1476 9 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:Weak flippers make games look a total piece of shit in front of potential buyers. I had a WOZ on pre-order, and when I played it at a show - I immediately cancelled because the flippers felt like absolute ass after we were promised B/W feel.

Did the flippers look weak to you? They didnt to me.

#1477 9 months ago
Quoted from Cantabkiwi:

Looking like another home run for spooky. Credit to the new designer on the block and the team around you.
Looking forward getting mine.

I had word from Spooky directly that the pseudonym for the design (Koris Barloff) was because they had a lot of people working on it collaboratively. Sometimes design-by-committee is a warning sign, and other times it's a good way of optimizing design decisions...very much looking like the latter, all things considered.

#1478 9 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Did the flippers look weak to you? They didnt to me.

They weren’t weak. At least not today and Bug turned on the machine for us after pulling the glass and hooking up a few things he disconnected when leaving last night. I can only assume that was to stop someone from playing games or shooting video when they were gone. The first thing my girlfriend said as we walked away from first play was “I like it and the flippers are good!”
I played early/proto Alien and TBL machines at past Allentown shows and the flippers were very weak. Not the case today. I’ve been collecting since 1995 and don’t get real excited about adding new machines to my collection, however Im very excited about this title.

#1479 9 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t either. We’re they worried they would get to hit by the end of the day?

#1480 9 months ago

Getting some of my Ultraman memorabilia ready to put next to my BSE. Don’t laugh at the lunch box.

93E0F8E1-383A-407E-A88E-DE61D9544E44 (resized).jpeg
#1481 9 months ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

We were first in line at the door today and also to play the machine. The line was never more than 6 people long so we got to play it 6 times. Bug and the other spooky guys were always nearby offering tips to players. I am very picky about flipper feel and they felt good. My reference or standard for flipper feel is the MB that I bought NIB back in the 90’s. I was expecting to be underwhelmed but was pleasantly surprised with the machine. [quoted image][quoted image]

And this shot of the side art now has me sold on butter for our UMCE... still not sure about it for Halloween .

#1482 9 months ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

Getting some of my Ultraman memorabilia ready to put next to my BSE. Don’t laugh at the lunch box.
[quoted image]

That lunch box is fantastic! Where from?

#1483 9 months ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

They weren’t weak. At least not today and Bug turned on the machine for us after pulling the glass and hooking up a few things he disconnected when leaving last night. I can only assume that was to stop someone from playing games or shooting video when they were gone. The first thing my girlfriend said as we walked away from first play was “I like it and the flippers are good!”
I played early/proto Alien and TBL machines at past Allentown shows and the flippers were very weak. Not the case today. I’ve been collecting since 1995 and don’t get real excited about adding new machines to my collection, however Im very excited about this title.

Thank you for the writeup. Hopefully flippergate can be put to rest!

Cannot wait!

#1484 9 months ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

It was a gift so I am not sure where it came from.

#1485 9 months ago

So, sounds like Ben’s new board sets work.

Maybe better flipper feel than the old ones?

#1486 9 months ago

The Game is simply beautiful, Halloween as well. They have to be top 5 all time art packages?

#1487 9 months ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

The Game is simply beautiful, Halloween as well. They have to be top 5 all time art packages?

The Halloween Edmiston art would sell for a couple grand as a Mondo print.

#1488 9 months ago
Quoted from fnord:

Edmiston art

Quoted from fnord:

The Halloween Edmiston art would sell for a couple grand as a Mondo print.

Jason Edmiston has done some awesome Godzilla work too....

OOOP's wrong thread

#1489 9 months ago
Quoted from Txcoastal1:

Jason Edmiston has done some awesome Godzilla work too....
OOOP's wrong thread

So has Matt Frank

#1491 9 months ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

https://toywiz.com/ultraman-tin-lunch-box/

Probably available in other places as well, that's the first hit from Google. It's based on the art from the new
Ultraman series that's on Netflix now ( https://netflix.fandom.com/wiki/Ultraman )

#1492 9 months ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Woot, both Project Pinball winners went with Ultraman.

I think Ultraman is going to be pretty darn collectable. You can never really tell at this stage though.

I’m still debating going regular or butter.

Quoted from Lounge:

I think it was a fair assessment of R&M. I own it, I love it …. now that it’s dialed in. But I spent a lot of time, money, sweat, and tears (drilling into a new playfield) getting it there. I shouldn’t have to rebuild the playfield.

I’d really like to get my inner loop a bit more dialed in. It’s almost impossible to hit if the ball comes in right along the rail in what should be a normal feed shot. The inner loop is the one shot I wish was easier to aim for and hit regularly.

#1493 9 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’d really like to get my inner loop a bit more dialed in. It’s almost impossible to hit if the ball comes in right along the rail in what should be a normal feed shot. The inner loop is the one shot I wish was easier to aim for and hit regularly.

Which one are you calling the inner loop? The spinner loop? Did you already adjust the upper right flipper loop end that feeds the flipper? And the end of the spinner loop (entry). Those two things and you can hit it 3+ times easy.

#1494 9 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think Ultraman is going to be pretty darn collectable. You can never really tell at this stage though.
I’m still debating going regular or butter.

Go with butter. Much better than margarine. You won’t be disappointed

#1495 9 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Which one are you calling the inner loop? The spinner loop? Did you already adjust the upper right flipper loop end that feeds the flipper? And the end of the spinner loop (entry). Those two things and you can hit it 3+ times easy.

Made no adjustments yet, I’ll pm you and get some directions if possible. Thanks!

#1496 9 months ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Flippers seemed weak

All Spooky games to date require fans if you want to play the game for longer than 15 minutes.

#1497 9 months ago
Quoted from dri:

All Spooky games to date require fans if you want to play the game for longer than 15 minutes.

nope

#1498 9 months ago
Quoted from dri:

That doesn’t seem to be true with the UM at Allentown this weekend.

#1499 9 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Made no adjustments yet

Pull your house and shoot some slow-mo. I literally adjusted every upper ball guide and had a new diverter made. It’s a lot of work but the end result is worth it.

Back to UM…

#1500 9 months ago
Quoted from dri:

Man, I don’t know what you guys are doing with your games ...

I’ve got/had all the production Spooky games - barely had one issue. Let alone flippers overheating.

I use them in tournaments. All of them. Never had a major problem with anything.

Maybe because I rarely alter any of the settings?

I think the only setting changed in any of my 4 current Spookys is ACNC upper flipper power is upped a few points. Otherwise - everything is stock standard. Except extra balls are off.

Maybe if you guys are having issues, try a full reset and go back to stock settings. See what happens.

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.99
There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 55.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!