IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 55.
#851 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

This is something i never thought I would be sharing on Pinside.
I was lucky enough to spend the summer of 81 in Tokyo.
During a side trip to Kyoto I got to go to Toei Kyoto Studio Park.
Thought I would share some of the pics i took of their miniature scenes. (and of course a kaiju)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool. Looks like the Kaiju was animatronic no?

#852 2 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Very cool. Looks like the Kaiju was animatronic no?

Yeah, I have some photos of the water calm, then bubbling, until it rises up and spews water from its mouth.
It was timed like every 10 - 15 min.

#853 2 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Going deep!
Ultraman series arrived and I'm 4 episodes in. Loving it
Also ordered a SSSP communicator
If you want one, get them at the Yesterdays link
https://www.yesterdays.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwlrqHBhByEiwAnLmYUCRjaVyyboJzBjjDWjjsHc-DSWSwkS5MPjnn3xEuLSZfLWqqdmQnoxoCSP8QAvD_BwE
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

They are also all over Youtube for free if anyone is interested. Here are the first 39 dubbed episodes.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrPL9dGQYDqDdxxdTtDZm0Y1ulR6DytWh

#854 2 years ago

Fwiw to anyone interested in the Trials of Ultraman #4 Comic. I simply walked into a local comic shop and asked them to order in 2 copies at msrp. It is still available for any comic shop to order and should NOT cost more than normal msrp. Enjoy.

#855 2 years ago

@frankmack id like to see a poll added to see if we can get a rough idea of how the Ultraman games were split.
▪︎CE
▪︎BSE
▪︎Standard

With nothing but a guess based on thread talk im thinking
CE 50%-60% (250-300)
BSE 35%-40% (175-200)
Standard 10% (50. Ironically, the rare one)

Remember that 50 were set aside as a friends and family kind of thing. Those were (will be) likely ALL CE games.

#856 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

You would be better off framing it.
Ive worked at my friend's comic shop (which he owns).
You do you but i know for fact that even a 9.8 copy unfortunately wont be worth the cost of grading it. Plenty of money to be made in comics though. Ive sold a few to fund pinball myself. (I just sold an ungraded Invincible #1 for 1k actually)

pmWolf , would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

#857 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

@frankmack id like to see a poll added to see if we can get a rough idea of how the Ultraman games were split.
▪︎CE
▪︎BSE
▪︎Standard
With nothing but a guess based on thread talk im thinking
CE 50%-60% (250-300)
BSE 35%-40% (175-200)
Standard 10% (50. Ironically, the rare one)
Remember that 50 were set aside as a friends and family kind of thing. Those were (will be) likely ALL CE games.

Pinball Star posted this on Facebook...
"Final useless Halloween / Ultraman sales factoid :
PinballSTAR’s % of sales by model :
Standard. 4 %
Bloodsuckers 11%
Collectors. 85%
These are just our numbers not Soooky overall"

I actually went for a bloodsuckers. I really liked the flaked black trim and having the name on the backglass.

#858 2 years ago

Stats are fun.
I know for R&M, Spooky allocated roughly 50% to their distributors. (375 of 750)
I believe the "Friends and Family" initial batch came out of Spooky's 375.
I went with CE, I figured I could always get a BSE style BG later if I like.

#859 2 years ago
Quoted from MarklarD:

Standard. 4 %
Bloodsuckers 11%
Collectors. 85%
I actually went for a bloodsuckers. I really liked the flaked black trim and having the name on the backglass.

Oh fuck.

#860 2 years ago

That's great for spooky (assuming higher margins on BSE/CE)

#861 2 years ago

That means we have the potential to own a 1 of 50ish made game that we will be waiting a while to receive

#862 2 years ago

No question in my mind the SE was the best value. I don't think there will be any "rarity" premium, but I think it's going to be the game with the highest odds of increasing in value.

#863 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

No question in my mind the SE was the best value. I don't think there will be any "rarity" premium, but I think it's going to be the game with the highest odds of increasing in value.

I was in on a standard, but really wanted some of the other stuff that was not going to be allowed a la carte. After seeing that video of the beautiful BSE armor, I changed to the BSE.

#864 2 years ago

The fact that Spooky makes sure all models have the same playability makes the SE an operator's dream.

#865 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

As a guy who usually buys a game then slaps a shaker motor and artblades in it, the BSE was tempting enough for me to step up. The custom paint and earlier spot in line were a nice added bonus. I do really like the CE siderails but not for another $1,000 usd when I dont even like toppers.

#866 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

That means we have the potential to own a 1 of 50ish made game that we will be waiting a while to receive

Sure, but does that matter? It's not like the BSE are going to be worth anything just because there's less of them, especially if Spooky sells the BG to CE owners that want one (I don't know if this is a thing or if the guy above is thinking about offering a trade to a BSE owner), or the trim is available for general purchase on it's own. Either way... it seems like the vast majority of people will be looking for a CE on the used market. Thousand bucks for 75 buck speaker grills (being generous...Modfather's ones are 22 bucks, but they're acrylic, not metal), a 75 buck shooter rod, ~45 buck ship toy, and....(hot takes incoming!), laser cut side rails (Whatever the cost of laser cutting a lollypop rail and adding the backing is... 100 bucks?) colored plastic protectors (Worthless, it's just a different color, there's no actual value add there), and what I would value as 450 dollar topper at best. I just don't "get it." *shrug* To each their own. I really think most people are choosing CE because they either have to have EVERYTHING, for the topper, or because they preferred the color of the trim. Even with my scroogey estimates, that's still 750 bucks of stuff for 1k. It's not *absurd* pricing by any measure at all, I just don't personally see what a lot of that stuff adds, especially when half of it is completely mundane things I can add myself later if I want it.

I just really didn't want to wait over a YEAR. I have no clue what my financial situation is in that timeframe. I'm going to have to reach out to my distro and see if I can do an early payoff of the full amount soon as I have it from selling these other games. It's not the wait that bothers me per se....it's the fact that a lot can go horrifically wrong in the span of a year. I trust Spooky to deliver the games regardless of the timeframe... I just don't trust life to be kind to my finances, and this was a real stretch considering everything.

Slightly bummed. I was hoping for more of a 60/40 split than 80/20. I'll get over it.

#867 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Sure, but does that matter? It's not like the BSE are going to be worth anything just because there's less of them, especially if Spooky sells the BG to CE owners that want one (I don't know if this is a thing or if the guy above is thinking about offering a trade to a BSE owner), or the trim is available for general purchase on it's own. Either way... it seems like the vast majority of people will be looking for a CE on the used market. Thousand bucks for 75 buck speaker grills (being generous...Modfather's ones are 22 bucks, but they're acrylic, not metal), a 75 buck shooter rod, ~45 buck ship toy, and....(hot takes incoming!), laser cut side rails (Whatever the cost of laser cutting a lollypop rail and adding the backing is... 100 bucks?) colored plastic protectors (Worthless, it's just a different color, there's no actual value add there), and what I would value as 450 dollar topper at best. I just don't "get it." *shrug* To each their own. I really think most people are choosing CE because they either have to have EVERYTHING, for the topper, or because they preferred the color of the trim. Even with my scroogey estimates, that's still 750 bucks of stuff for 1k. It's not *absurd* pricing by any measure at all, I just don't personally see what a lot of that stuff adds, especially when half of it is completely mundane things I can add myself later if I want it.
I just really didn't want to wait over a YEAR. I have no clue what my financial situation is in that timeframe. I'm going to have to reach out to my distro and see if I can do an early payoff of the full amount soon as I have it from selling these other games. It's not the wait that bothers me per se....it's the fact that a lot can go horrifically wrong in the span of a year. I trust Spooky to deliver the games regardless of the timeframe... I just don't trust life to be kind to my finances, and this was a real stretch considering everything.
Slightly bummed. I was hoping for more of a 60/40 split than 80/20. I'll get over it.

I'd say you are very close at that $750-$800 mark. So now the difference is roughly $200.00 however all of those are already installed for you so to me (IMHO) my time also equates to a few bucks so it was just worth it once again to me to have this all done for me right out of the box. No need to take apart a new machine and spend the time doing it.

Either way if the machines (all models) turn out to be great to awesome, they all will be desirable and have good resale value on the market for those who wish to list.

#868 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I just really didn't want to wait over a YEAR.

I think you just figured out why people are paying the extra $250 (by your math). It’s about being in the front of the line.

However I think your estimates are a little low - at least going by Stern’s prices. Aftermarket side rails are $250 (yes, I understand the delta for Spooky is much lower). Stern toppers are $1000 now. The last “low” priced topper was JP at $600. And Stern shooter rods are around $100.

I’m not sure what price to put on a signed CE plaque, it is certainly worth $100 in my eyes.

#869 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I'd say you are very close at that $750-$800 mark. So now the difference is roughly $200.00 however all of those are already installed for you so to me (IMHO) my time also equates to a few bucks so it was just worth it once again to me to have this all done for me right out of the box. No need to take apart a new machine and spend the time doing it.
Either way if the machines (all models) turn out to be great to awesome, they all will be desirable and have good resale value on the market for those who wish to list.

Labor is a very fair point, and I concede that easily makes up the rest of the difference. That's actually why I went for the BSE..... not only the stuff, but not having to put it in myself, especially art blades. I SUCK at those things. Trim I can do, but for some reason that stupid decal inside the cabinet...nope! What's the argument for spending a thousand extra bucks to 'jump the line' when you still end up a year+ out on your game? I guess we'll see with the next Spooky title.

Quoted from Damonator:

Stern toppers are $1000 now. The last “low” priced topper was JP at $600.

I don't give a dead baby's dick what the prices are listed for, or what people will pay....because I sure as hell will not. Anyone that doesn't think those toppers are overpriced for what they are is a total loon. I'm interested only in the intrinsic value of the items. This whole "topper bubble" is just that...a bubble. I'm not going to be the one left holding the bag. On Halloween, they did something pretty unique with the topper. I don't feel like the Ultraman one comes up to that level, even if it fits the theme, and that's just my personal opinion.

Quoted from Damonator:

I’m not sure what price to put on a signed CE plaque, it is certainly worth $100 in my eyes.

In this case, it's zero....because nobody knew about it being signed, and we couldn't use it as a point to consider our options since it was revealed after the fact. Not sure why that wasn't mentioned up front. Glad for the people that are getting it though, it's pretty cool to have the guy's signature on it. I'm only saying it wasn't a factor in anyone's calculus of which version they wanted. It's a value add for the game, and a neat surprise, if you like autographed stuff, but in terms of decision making, it wasn't a factor for anyone.

#870 2 years ago

Also consider that all those "mods" are warranted by Spooky if they installed them. In the end it comes down to what an individual feels it is worth adding it all together. If you can afford the edition you chose, be happy with it and enjoy every penny's worth. The time to deliver will be here before you know it. You will be surprised how many "fixes" and code updates will occur while you wait. The BSE and SE machines will be more dialed in than the first 100 typically.

#871 2 years ago

SE was the rare edition for R&M - only 38 made I believe out of 750!

#872 2 years ago
Quoted from MarklarD:

Standard. 4 %
Bloodsuckers 11%
Collectors. 85%

Remember that CE were not available at first on spooky website. I went through pinball star because i wanted a ce. I guess I'm not the only one. Just my 2 cents to say that Joe's stats are not representative of spooky sales imo.

#873 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I don't give a dead baby's dick what the prices are listed for, or what people will pay....because I sure as hell will not. Anyone that doesn't think those toppers are overpriced for what they are is a total loon. I'm interested only in the intrinsic value of the items. This whole "topper bubble" is just that...a bubble. I'm not going to be the one left holding the bag. On Halloween, they did something pretty unique with the topper. I don't feel like the Ultraman one comes up to that level, even if it fits the theme, and that's just my personal opinion.

Lol - I said nothing about topper aftermarket values. I’m just giving examples of what one would expect to pay for add-on items at Stern MSRP. Using those values, the CE edition is priced appropriately for me and I chose that edition (along with 85% of the other buyers).

#874 2 years ago
Quoted from stf_dnx:

Remember that CE were not available at first on spooky website. I went through pinball star because i wanted a ce. I guess I'm not the only one. Just my 2 cents to say that Joe's stats are not representative of spooky sales imo.

The same situation happened to me. CE's didn't show up right when Spooky's store opened so I jumped on the blast email from pinballstar. Didn't realize there was a $60 paypal fee but oh well, felt sorry for the people stressing out over the webstore issues and felt like I dodged a bullet afterwards.

#875 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

The same situation happened to me. CE's didn't show up right when Spooky's store opened so I jumped on the blast email from pinballstar. Didn't realize there was a $60 paypal fee but oh well, felt sorry for the people stressing out over the webstore issues and felt like I dodged a bullet afterwards.

That explains a lot. After my cart stopped timing out, it popped up wiith a HWN CE in it. I guess i clicked add without reading. Had to loop back added a BSE UKR, looped back again and got the CE UKR in the cart, then deleted the other two and was able to complete the purchase. Checked out about 9:10 after all said and done. I thought it was a screen refresh issue.

#876 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Lol - I said nothing about topper aftermarket values. I’m just giving examples of what one would expect to pay for add-on items at Stern MSRP. Using those values, the CE edition is priced appropriately for me and I chose that edition (along with 85% of the other buyers).

Stern was selling a topper at 1k?

Quoted from Damonator:

Stern toppers are $1000 now.

I mean...that is what you said, but I honestly thought you were talking aftermarket. They're SERIOUSLY selling toppers for a grand? Wow.... I mean...why should I be surprised....this hobby has proven nothing over the last 10 years if not that people are dumb and just waiting to be fleeced but WOW. O_o Do you have to give Stern a handy at that price to get the topper too, or do they let you off easy with just the cash? Jesus christ.

#877 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Stern was selling a topper at 1k?

I mean...that is what you said, but I honestly thought you were talking aftermarket. They're SERIOUSLY selling toppers for a grand? Wow.... I mean...why should I be surprised....this hobby has proven nothing over the last 10 years if not that people are dumb and just waiting to be fleeced but WOW. O_o Do you have to give Stern a handy at that price to get the topper too, or do they let you off easy with just the cash? Jesus christ.

Elvira was a grand. Couple others I think. Stranger Things, Avengers, Jurassic are all in the $650 range.

#878 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Heads up that Joe at pinballstar has two CEs and one BSE left.
Finally gave in and ordered a UM CE to go with HWN CE. Joe said he can space a CE out to the very end, which sealed it for me.

I wonder how the distributors decided on how many CE's, BSE's and standard editions to buy? Also wonder if they could change a spot later, for example switching out a standard for a CE?

#879 2 years ago

Elvira was a grand. Couple others I think. Stranger Things, Avengers, Jurassic are all in the $650 range.

That's just insane. And people are insane for not throwing it back in their faces and telling them to go pound sand at those prices.

#880 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's just insane. And people are insane for not throwing it back in their faces and telling them to go pound sand at those prices.

There was a huge backlash. Lots of discussion on Pinside about being raped for a topper. It was a resurrected discussion when Spooky gave everyone a topper for free for selling out on R&M.

#881 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I wonder how the distributors decided on how many CE's, BSE's and standard editions to buy? Also wonder if they could change a spot later, for example switching out a standard for a CE?

I think they might have been allocated a specific number, then from that number they call back in and give a breakdown of how many of each to fill out their allocation number after the sales took place opening day.

#882 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The customers determine how many of which edition. Joe just has to allocate inventory to his paypal system. Even though he shows a CE, if a customer wanted to order a standard, they could. On release day, he explained this and said if the edition you want is out of stock, order a different one and then email and he'd fix it.

#883 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

There was a huge backlash. Lots of discussion on Pinside about being raped for a topper. It was a resurrected discussion when Spooky gave everyone a topper for free for selling out on R&M.

To be fair, I took an extended break from Pinside for a good while. Basically consider my knowledge a blank from say.....oof...what was the last game that came out....Beatles, maybe? Through AIQ announcement. I didn't read the R&M threads at all, and haven't even seen gameplay video of that, AIQ, or Led Zeppelin, for example.

I've read and posted more since the Ultraman announcement than I did in the last 2 years combined, I would bet. And more likely than not, soon as I get Ultraman, I'll be bowing back out of Pinside, maybe permanently. I never really intended to continue having more than one or two pinball machines at this point, and I have enough knowledge to fix 99.5% of any issues with any era of game that I run across. Without buying or selling something...there's not a lot of reason for me to be here. =|

#884 2 years ago

The customers determine how many of which edition. Joe just has to allocate inventory to his paypal system. Even though he shows a CE, if a customer wanted to order a standard, they could. On release day, he explained this and said if the edition you want is out of stock, order a different one and then email and he'd fix it.

This makes sense to me, but what does not make sense then is why he would indicate that he has "2 CEs and 1 BSE left" ?

#885 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This makes sense to me, but what does not make sense then is why he would indicate that he has "2 CEs and 1 BSE left" ?

Maybe it was more for marketing? Or how he had to have them inventoried in his system? When I messaged him about buying a BSE, he emailed back and said he moved one from CE to BSE for me to buy.

#886 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

"2 CEs and 1 BSE left"

Maybe those were cancelled dup spots that were already phoned and locked in for those particular models, so now they are available. "shrug"

#887 2 years ago

He probably needed to have them inventoried differently for paypal due to the different deposit amounts required.

#888 2 years ago

Okay, getting more into the theme now. I’ve watched a couple of episodes of the original series, now I’m trying to sort through the Matt Frank cover art for Ultraman. It’s Rise of Ultraman #4 and Trials of Ultraman #1, correct?!

#889 2 years ago

Looking over the great cab art, the only nitpick I can make is I see a missed opportunity on the front. The SSSP insignia should be on the left with the start button in the center of the star instead of it being nearly covered up by the shooter housing.

#890 2 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

Okay, getting more into the theme now. I’ve watched a couple of episodes of the original series, now I’m trying to sort through the Matt Frank cover art for Ultraman. It’s Rise of Ultraman #4 and Trials of Ultraman #1, correct?!

Everyone should at least watch Ep.2.
If you ask a comic shop to order Trials of Ultraman #4, the artist and cover do not show up in their listing. This is the "surprise cover" (1 of 4 variants) It will show up on their screen as a black square but since the other 3 covers are visible it was easy to tell this was the right one. Good luck.

#891 2 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

the artwork used on the ultraman back glass is the surprise variant for trials of ultraman #4
https://www.midtowncomics.com/product/2011966

#892 2 years ago

Looking over the great cab art, the only nitpick I can make is I see a missed opportunity on the front. The SSSP insignia should be on the left with the start button in the center of the star instead of it being nearly covered up by the shooter housing.

Matt mentioned that in the interview how he had to rework art more than once to solve for things like that.
Laborious process by the sounds of it. Likely missed that one.

#893 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the artwork used on the ultraman back glass is the surprise variant for trials of ultraman #4
https://www.midtowncomics.com/product/2011966

It’s in stock here, if anyone is looking for an online option: https://tosscomics.com/products/may210578-trials-of-ultraman-4-of-5-surprise-var?variant=39852970803381

#894 2 years ago

PlanetExpress j_m_ KnockerPTSD

Appreciate it, guys. Tracked one down. The “surprise variant” was throwing me off. I dig the Arthur Adam’s variant from this issue also…. Monsters!

F1BA03E7-885F-43BB-83DF-5788E9380DA8 (resized).jpegF1BA03E7-885F-43BB-83DF-5788E9380DA8 (resized).jpeg
#895 2 years ago

I believe that arthur adams also penned the original cover for trials of ultraman #4
tou4_aa_cover (resized).jpgtou4_aa_cover (resized).jpg

#896 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I believe that arthur adams also penned the original cover for trials of ultraman #4
[quoted image]

I've only seen a few episodes of the original series, but does Ultraman appear as "normal" human sized or is he only ever a kaiju?

#897 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:I believe that arthur adams also penned the original cover for trials of ultraman #4
[quoted image]

Soo... I thought Ultraman was a big Godzilla sized man... no?

#898 2 years ago

Wow Ultraman CE #37. So pumped. Thanks Spooky from the land down under!

#899 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

- Evil Dead vs. Army Of Darkness

Can someone give us cliff notes of this portion of the podcast?

#900 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Wow Ultraman CE #37. So pumped. Thanks Spooky from the land down under!

#39 here Freakman. Woo hoo!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 55.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-ultraman/page/18?hl=marklard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.