IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 55.
#751 10 months ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Ultraman was the original theme - Halloween was the retheme. I always assumed it was the other way around.

Yeah...kind of makes sense actually

#752 10 months ago

About to crack into two graphic novels which look pretty good for the ultra man fans, like me.

B864FFBA-05F1-4226-9AA6-00B7B7DE1D05 (resized).jpeg
#753 10 months ago

I’m in the mood for ultra man!

#754 10 months ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Good interview. The biggest revelation for me: Ultraman was the original theme - Halloween was the retheme. I always assumed it was the other way around.

I thought the original theme was John Wick...wasn't that said in the prior interview that they couldn't get the licence? Not that it really matters at all, happens all the time. I don't blame them for not wanting to try and sell 1750 Ultraman though LOL

#755 10 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

I thought the original theme was John Wick...wasn't that said in the prior interview that they couldn't get the licence? Not that it really matters at all, happens all the time. I don't blame them for not wanting to try and sell 1750 Ultraman though LOL

Yeah on the super awesome pinball show podcast, they said John Wick was the original theme.

#756 10 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yes, but in that TPN interview, they revealed that they had secured the Ultraman license prior to the Halloween license. So, originally designed with John Wick in mind, but when licenses came into play, Ultraman was the one they had first.

#757 10 months ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Yes, but in that TPN interview, they revealed that they had secured the Ultraman license prior to the Halloween license. So, originally designed with John Wick in mind, but when licenses came into play, Ultraman was the one they had first.

Yeah, I haven't found time to finish it. Heh. Thanks.

#758 10 months ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

These are two completely different arguments. I wouldn't buy a new game with a jacked up cabinet, but I also wouldn't pay the premium for a butter cabinet. Cabinet condition is a completely different consideration from a frivolously glossy upgrade. Butter looks great, but in a lineup, I literally wouldn't pay an extra $100 for it.
What I've heard from others is that they have NOT gotten their $1000 back out of butter games when they've sold. I would 100% not buy butter as an investment. Only do it if YOU want it for YOU, and recognize you'll probably take a hit if you sell it, as compared to the "profit" you would make from selling a non-butter version.

Meh. Listen, you obviously have a large collection and like any collector, have your priorities and opinions. I was as skeptical as anyone about "butter". When a local collector was selling his NIB R&M w/butter for $10,800 (a 1k markup over invoice), I bit. So in my case, I was willing to "pay up" because the game was hard to get and it had the butter cabinet. Wasn't sure it would be worth it, however feel much differently now.

As far as "investment" goes, I don't buy games as investments in general. I've never purchased a NIB LE/CE. Tend to go for the less collectible Stern "Premiums". Just like with Stern LE's, some skyrocket and some don't. 9 months ago sold my SWLE for 7.5k...yesterday, sold my TRONLE for 21k. Both Stern LE's, much different love in the marketplace for these games.

So...my point is if you have a beloved game, I am 100% certain that you will get your money back (and more) if you go butter. The games you've heard about where collectors took a hit are because it was a Spooky game that isn't perceived as a great game. In addition, the pinball market has changed dramatically with COVID. In today's market, I would have never let my SWLE go for 7.5k. Two years ago (when I bought my TRONLE), if you would have told me it would double in value, I would have laughed at you! So the overall market conditions can effect things dramatically and skew the data you cite. Old data might not be all that relevant in today's market.

Here is another way I look at it: For the prices people are paying for LE/CE's and toppers, butter seems like a good use of money. So many collectors seem to admire HEP restorations and one of the big reasons is cabinet detail. My Centaur has a "Big Time Cabinet" that is simply gorgeous and when/if I ever sell it, I'm 100% certain many collectors will agree with me and desire the "Big Time Cabinet". With only 500 UM's being built, it's clearly a limited production game. If there are only 100 with butter and the game is a hit, how can it not be considered more collectable? Not trying to change anyone's mind...just clearly communicating how I see things. Only time will tell, since we haven't even played a ball yet

Lastly, if it's true you "literally wouldn't pay an extra $100 for it", then I'm not surprised we don't agree and have very different perspectives!

#759 10 months ago

Wondering aloud...

If this is essentially the same platform, but with two different sets of software...it should be hypothetically possible to load Halloween's software into Ultraman and vice versa. It would be kinda weird but fantastic if you could do your own virtual re-skin this way. I hope Spooky doesn't deliberately disable this, because it would be a nice way of freshening up a machine in an odd way.

#760 10 months ago
Quoted from Lawlor_and_Order:

Wondering aloud...
If this is essentially the same platform, but with two different sets of software...it should be hypothetically possible to load Halloween's software into Ultraman and vice versa. It would be kinda weird but fantastic if you could do your own virtual re-skin this way. I hope Spooky doesn't deliberately disable this, because it would be a nice way of freshening up a machine in an odd way.

Charlie said it could be done theoretically and he might even be curious to try it on his own game. He also said if you do it and you fry your game your SOL for support.

#761 10 months ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

I picked up Ultraman's ship over the weekend. Lots of glue and water decals later I've got a ship for my BSE playfield when it shows up.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Outstanding idea. Just done the same and picked up a couple of figures to go along with them, just in case (or at least for toppers).

#762 10 months ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Charlie said it could be done theoretically and he might even be curious to try it on his own game. He also said if you do it and you fry your game your SOL for support.

OK the SOL part is a bit scary. But I will be the *second* to try it!

#763 10 months ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Good interview. The biggest revelation for me: Ultraman was the original theme - Halloween was the retheme. I always assumed it was the other way around.

Very interesting, I was convinced the Hedges/buildings were Halloween inspired for sure, though perhaps those shots were in the game before either theme was in discussion.

#764 10 months ago

Hey guys.
I have ordered and am awaiting 4 copies of the Trials of Ultraman #4 Surprise Variant comic. I am going to keep one for my UMCE - am in UK but if anyone is stuck and wants/needs one, happy to send on to you free of charge for both cost and shipping.
Cheers

#765 10 months ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

Very interesting, I was convinced the Hedges/buildings were Halloween inspired for sure, though perhaps those shots were in the game before either theme was in discussion.

Yea - I thought that as well until I watched episode 2 of Ultraman. Baltan can duplicate/project himself (similar to Marvel’s Loki). The 3 different Baltans popping out behind the buildings make so much more sense now that I’ve seen the episode.

#766 10 months ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

Very interesting, I was convinced the Hedges/buildings were Halloween inspired for sure...

Ha I had the opposite thought. The whole hedges thing is so bizarre and not central to the flick, that the fact it's a retread made sense to me.

#767 10 months ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Yeah, I read Charlie's post where he said this.

My question is why would there even be a risk of it frying the game? Exact same coils, switches, etc...

#768 10 months ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, I read Charlie's post where he said this.
My question is why would there even be a risk of it frying the game? Exact same coils, switches, etc...

Just some good old fashioned CYA.

#769 10 months ago

I think it’s so funnny that so many of us grabbed the companion comic to this machine…I’m picturing marvel comics in the conference room “yes, the variant issue sold out…and sold out fast…what happened?!?!”

But then I got to thinking, are there any other pinball machine companion comics or books or anything other than a flyer?!?! Anyone know of any other machines with an interesting literary companion?

#770 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha I had the opposite thought. The whole hedges thing is so bizarre and not central to the flick, that the fact it's a retread made sense to me.

Plot wise, agree it’s not central. For character building though, the different disappearing acts in the movie establishes Michael as supernatural or “not human” as Loomis reminds us often in the series. Hedges and the bed sheets are the biggest examples of this. Sorry, I studied English Lit in college, so these are the things I really nerd out on!

#771 10 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I really hope it’s got a good soundtrack- love that surf-rock intro on the spooky vid.. hope there’s a lot more like that.

Fully agree: please Spooky put lots of Ultraman surf rock music in the game. Ultraman would exude game play bliss with plenty of that kind of music. The show has it in spades already. Japanese love it!

#772 10 months ago
Quoted from Damonator:

That's surprising to me. The fall from the upper playfields just seems so perfect for Michael falling over the balcony.

#773 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The whole hedges thing is so bizarre and not central to the flick, that the fact it's a retread made sense to me.

The hedges was the biggest thing I didn't like about Halloween. I thought the buildings in Ultraman was a much better integration of the theme.

#774 10 months ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

I think it’s so funnny that so many of us grabbed the companion comic to this machine…I’m picturing marvel comics in the conference room “yes, the variant issue sold out…and sold out fast…what happened?!?!”
But then I got to thinking, are there any other pinball machine companion comics or books or anything other than a flyer?!?! Anyone know of any other machines with an interesting literary companion?

Dialed In.....but they made that specifically for the game.

I'm assuming all the Marvel stuff, but not the exact artwork.

But particularly the vault edition of Spider Man... https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-55A0-01

Not sure if that artwork shares a comic book specifically.

Stern absolutely need to do a Walking Dead Vault based of the B&W comic.

#775 10 months ago
Quoted from marksf123:

The hedges was the biggest thing I didn't like about Halloween. I thought the buildings in Ultraman was a much better integration of the theme.

The hedge is definitely out of left field. First ever hedge sculpt in a game? I kind of like it for its quirkiness.

#776 10 months ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:I think it’s so funnny that so many of us grabbed the companion comic to this machine…I

Literally, the only comic I have ever purchased.

Whomever linked it from Forbidden Planet gets my thanks for that.

#777 10 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Fully agree: please Spooky put lots of Ultraman surf rock music in the game. Ultraman would exude game play bliss with plenty of that kind of music. The show has it in spades already. Japanese love it!

The music and general vibe had a huge influence on me ordering the game.

#778 10 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Dialed In.....but they made that specifically for the game.
I'm assuming all the Marvel stuff, but not the exact artwork.
But particularly the vault edition of Spider Man... https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-55A0-01
Not sure if that artwork shares a comic book specifically.
Stern absolutely need to do a Walking Dead Vault based of the B&W comic.

Owners of Williams Blackout might be interested to pick up Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD #6 since the backglass art is a swipe of the cover image.

Art swiping is pretty common in comics and in many cases is seen as an homage to the original artist.

3C13EC3D-080D-4D6E-8C79-2C10A01668B1 (resized).jpeg70202754-AB49-49E7-923C-5B8870F223FA (resized).jpeg
#779 10 months ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Blackout is a rip off of a Marvel comic.

20210713_004515 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210713-004752_Chrome (resized).jpg
#780 10 months ago
Quoted from mettle64:

Owners of Williams Blackout might be interested to pick up Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD #6 since the backglass art is a swipe of the cover image.
Art swiping is pretty common in comics and in many cases is seen as an homage to the original artist.[quoted image][quoted image]

You beat me

#781 10 months ago
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
#782 10 months ago
Quoted from mettle64:

Art swiping is pretty common in comics and in many cases is seen as an homage to the original artist.[quoted image][quoted image]

pretty cool when i saw the blackout backglass i knew i saw that art on a comic book

#783 10 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

[quoted image][quoted image]

That is almost a direct "swipe" as you guys put it. From the shapes of the blobs, to the placement of the balls. The only difference is the female form, but even she is nearly the same.

#784 10 months ago
10308331.gif
#785 10 months ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Thanks now I have the song stuck in my head again

#786 10 months ago
Quoted from mettle64:

I’ve got a nice copy of that exact book which I will grade just for the cover. Jim steranko art!

#787 10 months ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Someone thought up that idea on the advertisement and they sure did go for it.

Better or for worse I guess.

#788 10 months ago

the hedges are freaking genius lol. half the movie is michael appearing from behind things. some of you are impossible to please

#789 10 months ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

the hedges are freaking genius lol. half the movie is michael appearing from behind things. some of you are impossible to please

Wait, there’s hedges in Ultraman?

Who is this Michael you refer to?

#790 10 months ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Yeah, when I saw that - it thought it was amazing. My first thought is that he would stalk you. You’d have to hit certain shots as he gets closer and closer…if he gets all the way to you, he kills you lol. Not sure if there will be any code like that, or if it’ll just be whack-a-mole style….but the option for having a variety of ways to use that feature is there.

#791 10 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You’d have to hit certain shots as he gets closer and closer…if he gets all the way to you, he kills you lol.

Sounded that way in the Spooky interview with Zach, give it a listen. You play as Laurie or Michael so it's must escape or kill kill kill lol.

#792 10 months ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Sounded that way in the Spooky interview with Zach, give it a listen. You play as Laurie or Michael so it's must escape or kill kill kill lol.

I think Greg is trying to say it would be cool if the furthest away hedge Michael popped out to indicate he is coming after you, then the middle and finally the closest and you are caught. Like a timed mode with an objective before he gets you using the physical mech as an indicator of how close he is to catching you. Very cool idea. Same could work for Baltan.

#793 10 months ago

I think Greg is trying to say it would be cool if the furthest away hedge Michael popped out to indicate he is coming after you, then the middle and finally the closest and you are caught. Like a timed mode with an objective before he gets you using the physical mech as an indicator of how close he is to catching you. Very cool idea. Same could work for Baltan.

Agree, I really thought I heard Bug talking about some of the code and stated some of the shots were timed and had to be made in consecutive order to escape if your Laurie and to kill if your Michael.

So it might actually fit into what Greg was along the lines of thinking. However they didn't reveal to much of coding as they want many to be surprised when they start to play, although he did give a little spoiler about the 7 ball multi ball wizard mode. Not too much of a reveal otherwise with coding.

Oh and thus far it's an all adult mode code, they might have to add a family mode in later..

I'd expect to see tits and questioned if "Do you like what you see" from Lynda, but really wouldn't want to see Ultramans tits to be honest lol.

#794 10 months ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

...the different disappearing acts in the movie establishes Michael as supernatural or “not human” as Loomis reminds us

Yeah that sounds like something the team came up with to make sense of it all

#796 10 months ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Agree, I really thought I heard Bug talking about some of the code and stated some of the shots were timed and had to be made in consecutive order to escape if your Laurie and to kill if your Michael.
So it might actually fit into what Greg was along the lines of thinking. However they didn't reveal to much of coding as they want many to be surprised when they start to play, although he did give a little spoiler about the 7 ball multi ball wizard mode. Not too much of a reveal otherwise with coding.
Oh and thus far it's an all adult mode code, they might have to add a family mode in later..
I'd expect to see tits and questioned if "Do you like what you see" from Lynda, but really wouldn't want to see Ultramans tits to be honest lol.

The cool thing about those triple Michael/Baltan toys is that different modes could be coded to have different behavior - and that would be a really clever way of getting multiple moments out of the design

#797 10 months ago

I thought it said 12pm eastern time. Oh well, contribution made.

#798 10 months ago

I thought it said 12pm eastern time. Oh well, contribution made.

It did.. it was live before 10am central though (which is when I checked it). Was at $0 when I first saw it.

#799 10 months ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Quoted from Damonator:

Wait, there’s hedges in Ultraman?
Who is this Michael you refer to?

Maybe that was for me..... I said in one of the threads that I didn't like the hedges but I don't think I am impossible to please. I like the buildings in Ultraman so bought that game. I was pleased....

#800 10 months ago

Quick and dirty history of ultraman
(Possibly linked in the 100 other posts)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
NinjaCamp Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
1,500 (Firm)
Machine - Pre-order Spot
Knoxville, TN
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
North Canton, OH
$ 599.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 55.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!