(Topic ID: 321343)

Spooky TNA remake announced - you in or out?

By Vino

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,698 posts
  • 292 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“TNA remake - are you in or out?”

• Finally! I’m in! 74 votes
    12%
  • I’m out - no thanks 517 votes
    83%
  • Mayyybe - give reason 33 votes
    5%

(624 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CCA45F02-CCD3-4A80-8011-A1722E7A5035 (resized).jpeg
BC5F4B1A-B237-480D-B544-02716497298F (resized).jpeg
0670E324-8222-4AE5-9C17-4DA3123E6D9D.gif
D16B8705-BA6F-4390-BB6D-7C17396EADB7 (resized).jpeg
34FAC7F6-FCCB-461D-82DE-670E212291E3 (resized).jpeg
20230103_212116 (resized).jpg
20230103_211607 (resized).jpg
20230103_211615 (resized).jpg
20230103_193928 (resized).jpg
20230103_204537 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
A3A696BC-7792-4144-AAF8-7D1E18079A88 (resized).jpeg
F121382D-373C-4473-B6F7-161498EF4BAC (resized).jpeg
05F76F2C-C2D6-407E-A589-D3045EEF116F (resized).jpeg
A72DAB09-0BE9-497B-ABE9-957C97396E3D (resized).jpeg
E14F3DAC-59BE-4323-B453-A333CC0A64D5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guitarded.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#302 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Its clear Spooky has lost a lot of face with this whole TNA price thing.

How so? They have the time to run 250 machines. I very much doubt they will be sweating the results, as I am sure they will sell them all.

They'll sell these 250 and then move on to their next Feature Title.

#308 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Only thing you could have done possibly was make a cheaper standard edition but most chose the CE option on your last game

Which would increase production costs and make the build more difficult.

I don't doubt they considered it. But if they want to nail the build time, additional models and/or options would not help them do so.

#336 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

...that's assuming Stern prices stay the same as their last title

Can't possibly happen. They will have a price increase, too. And it won't be subtle.

#370 1 year ago
Quoted from Tyler_Durden:

This company has so much bad Karma now!
Looks like a money grab. I would not get close, look at how they are keeping peoples deposits from Halloween. It's a terrible way to do business and take peoples money. I think they cant afford to return the cash. These guys operate like the cable company.

I would be super cautious to make a purchase from them, who's to say bankruptcy is not around the corner or class action lawsuit? If that were to happen well say good by to your money and game as well as warranty and updates.

I mean if a company cant afford to give a few customers an honest refund, then it also shows you they don't believe in the product and cant sell it themselves.

This comment will be twice as funny tomorrow.

#372 1 year ago
Quoted from herg:Here's a quote from the email they sent when I bought TNA during the first build. This was in 2017, so nothing new.
"IF YOU AREN'T CONFIDENT IN YOUR GAME PURCHASE, DON'T BUY IT! Initial payments are NOT refundable."

Sure. It's clear.

But is it PAINFULLY CLEAR?

#394 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What’s the risk?

There is actually less risk on this pin than almost any other pin released in the last 3-4 years.
Everyone knows what they will be getting.

No need for Gameplay Video.

#399 1 year ago

What if your unit is DOA and the company is no longer in business, still no risk?

Again, you ref. bankruptcy for no known reason beyond your hysteria.

As a guy who has bought more than a handful of pins from Spooky, I am completely unconcerned.

IF I have a problem, they will be there to help me. Not that I have had anything more than your normal pinball problems on any Spooky Machine.
100% satisfaction from this Consumer.
That's why I keep going back for more.

#403 1 year ago

You are perhaps less concerned then the list of people who lost their deposits or some value on the hw debacle.

Nobody lost a penny of their Deposit. The balance owed remained the same.

IF they sold their space in line based on the impressions of hyperbolic forum chatters ike yourself, they forfeited that money.

As for 'Value'. Nowhere does any manufacturer claim that their pinball machines will maintain or increase in value.

Again, you are completely hysterical in your rhetoric.

#406 1 year ago

Bro, come on, if you can't complete purchase for any reason you lose your deposit.

Those are the Terms of the Agreement you enter into when you place your Deposit.
Never been any other way.

#430 1 year ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Always remember, the invisible hand of the market will always dictate prices.

Maybe re-read Adam Smith. There was no invisible hand involved in this. This is the result of poor policy based on bad theory.

#437 1 year ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

We don't know yet.

But we do. Inflation is the reason a 7.5k product is now priced at 9k. It is not just pinball.

#450 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

There are so many out there currently that are even better modded for 6500.

Not NIB there aren't.

#555 1 year ago
Quoted from musketd:

It didn’t sell out because

Hot Takes.

Free ALL Day.

#756 1 year ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

This is way off. I've been in manufacturing for over 20 years. I don't everything and I'm not a Spooky insider, but I am pretty knowledgeable about the cost and scale of manufacturing.
Scott made up to 1.4 MILLION dollars on the first run of 550 TNA's and stands to make up to $625,000 on this run of 250? No company has ever paid a designer anywhere near 2 million dollars for 800 machines. Why in the hell does Scott still have a full time job at PBL if he has made 2 million dollars on TNA alone over the past 4 years? Then there's the Rick & Morty windfall money as well. Spooky made 750 of those. I hope Scott is doing just fine when it comes to be compensated for his pinball designs, sound, music & rule sets, but the numbers above are simply not sustainable for any pinball manufacturing company.
The BOM on this machine is closer to $5000, and further, the BOM is not the total cost of manufacturing a machine. Add labor at another $1000 per machine (50 man hours x $20). Operating costs beyond payroll are another 10-20 percent (new equipment, insurance, heating, electric, sewer, office supplies, toilet paper, snow removal, state tax, building maintenance, etc., this list can be endless and it slowly but surely adds up).
Coil count is a very general, but still somewhat valid way to compare the BOM of pinball machines since every coil is part of a more expensive mechanism. TNA coil count - 19. Godzilla Pro coil count - 9. Godzilla Premium coil count - 11, plus 2 motors (this is from memory, so this may not be exactly correct, but very close). Both TNA & Godzilla are great games, but mechanically speaking, TNA is a much more expensive build than Godzilla Pro and probably around the same as Stern's cost on Godzilla Premium, especially when you look at the difference in production scale. Spooky has done one run of 550 TNAs, and is now planning an even smaller run of 250. No one except a privileged few are privy to Stern's production numbers, but a guess of 4000 Pro's, 5000 Premiums & 500 LEs (or more? Can't remember) has to be conservative. There is real power in those numbers compared to Spooky. Spooky is not Stern (~20,000 units projected for the year). They do not have the buying power or cash flow that Stern does. Stern can make machines cheaper; a lot cheaper. Smaller boutique companies provide an alternative to mainstream superhero themes and the like, but will never be cost competitive. Stern would never make Rob Zombie, AMH, TNA, Ultraman, etc., and they shouldn't. The numbers just aren't there for a company their size. Boutique companies are able to provide titles such as this, and that makes for a much wider spectrum of games available.
I would humbly estimate that the out-the-door cost for TNA is closer to $7500. At a retail price of $9000, that is a very reasonable 20% mark up (16.67% margin).

Dude. Stop bringing facts and being sensible. You are gonna kill our reputation over here with this shit.

1 week later
#945 1 year ago

Just gonna go out on a limb and guess that Spooky can bank on selling the majority of this run and worst case scenario building / warehousing the parts for 50 or so for future sales.

With another cornerstone game on the near horizon, they should be sitting ok for that type of scenario.

I am just waiting on a few things before I grab one. Not ecstatic about the price, but it isn't putting me off as much as the timing.

#1066 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Time to move on.

I wish you would take this advice.

#1088 1 year ago

I see Iceman is here doing his Lawyer Math routine.

That never gets old.

#1093 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It’s called CPA math.

Now you are a CPA?

Got it.

#1096 1 year ago

You can be whatever you like, Ice. This is the Internets.

But. I've already established you aren't an Economist.

#1100 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sorry pal. I actually am. A CPA, Estate planning attorney and financial planner that manages over a Billion in AUM

Like I said, anything you want to be.

1 week later
#1161 1 year ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Rick and Morty could’ve been an incredible game with the benefit of basic attention to geometry. As is, it’s a total clunk fest.

Either you suck and can't find the shots, or you haven't played one set up properly and with completed code.

Game flows if you hit your shots.

1 week later
#1234 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:I can't even imagine spending that kind of a dough for a "dated" retro game when pro Godzilla is 7200.

Had a Godzilla Pro. Got rid of it in under a month. I'd much rather have a TNA.

1 month later
#1498 1 year ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Sold Ultraman for a $3k loss.

F-Spooky 100%

waaaa (resized).pngwaaaa (resized).png
#1531 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

That Scott Danesi guy though? He’s a different story….

Been playing TNA all week. Guy is a sadist.

#1537 1 year ago

Does Pinball life sell the brass colored actuators for the drop targets as a stand alone part?

I need a couple.

2 weeks later
#1631 1 year ago
Quoted from pinthewin:

That being said, I would never own a Spooky game not designed by Scott.

Pretty lame take.

#1641 1 year ago

You fired up a machine without doing a physical inspection, first?

Not for nothing, but shipping can lead to all sorts of crap rattling loose and causing issues. Always give a machine that you did not see running previously a good once over before powering it up. Doesn't take but a minute or two and can save you no end of headaches that will occur the one time you don't check for loose parts/wiring.

#1643 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

4 screws don't fall out.

I have seen a lot more than just 4 screws back out during shipping. It happens.

NEVER fire up a machine without taking the glass off, lifting the PF and inspecting it.
Same with the backbox. Go over the whole machine before you introduce power.

#1647 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

if four screws fell out from the same mech due to shipping, Dave should go ahead and re-tighten every screw in the game

I check every fastener I can reach easily while I am inspecting the connections.

Honestly, this mech is one that gets adjusted for play and I am guessing the final assembly guy forgot to torque them down fully once the mech was adjusted to place. I often forget to fully snug all screws when adjusting launchers and setting flipper placement.

At least, until I put the glass on and remember that I am an idiot.

#1652 1 year ago

You gotta have some Major Cognitive Delay to Downvote a Post suggesting you Inspect Your Pin! before introducing power to it.

#1654 1 year ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

It had more to do with your presentation.

You sound like my girlfriend. It fits.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guitarded.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-tna-rerun-are-you-in-or-out?tu=guitarded and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.