(Topic ID: 321343)

Spooky TNA remake announced - you in or out?

By Vino

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,698 posts
  • 292 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“TNA remake - are you in or out?”

• Finally! I’m in! 74 votes
    12%
  • I’m out - no thanks 517 votes
    83%
  • Mayyybe - give reason 33 votes
    5%

(624 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CCA45F02-CCD3-4A80-8011-A1722E7A5035 (resized).jpeg
BC5F4B1A-B237-480D-B544-02716497298F (resized).jpeg
0670E324-8222-4AE5-9C17-4DA3123E6D9D.gif
D16B8705-BA6F-4390-BB6D-7C17396EADB7 (resized).jpeg
34FAC7F6-FCCB-461D-82DE-670E212291E3 (resized).jpeg
20230103_212116 (resized).jpg
20230103_211607 (resized).jpg
20230103_211615 (resized).jpg
20230103_193928 (resized).jpg
20230103_204537 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
A3A696BC-7792-4144-AAF8-7D1E18079A88 (resized).jpeg
F121382D-373C-4473-B6F7-161498EF4BAC (resized).jpeg
05F76F2C-C2D6-407E-A589-D3045EEF116F (resized).jpeg
A72DAB09-0BE9-497B-ABE9-957C97396E3D (resized).jpeg
E14F3DAC-59BE-4323-B453-A333CC0A64D5 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,698 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 34.
#301 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Spooky offered HWN/UM models priced between $7k-$9k. Guess what model 95% of buyers ordered... the $9k CE model. They might as well have not even offered the $7k model. Anytime I comment on this, there's always someone responding with an 'well *of course* most people went with the CE'. It was the same with RnM. Nearly all of the machines made are the top end model. I'm sure Spooky considered this when they priced TNA. Now people are clamoring for a base model TnA that doesn't exist.

I bought a standard Rick and Morty and a standard Ultraman. Really respected Spooky for offering the low-buck option with no impact on gameplay for the few of us not interested in the frill. Disappointed there's no 'base model' TNA but with this small of a run, I get it. Not happy about it, but I get it.

If Spooky only offers an optioned out model for their next 'cornerstone'/full release, I'll be concerned that they're taking the company a direction I'm not happy with. But for now, just disappointed.

#302 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Its clear Spooky has lost a lot of face with this whole TNA price thing.

How so? They have the time to run 250 machines. I very much doubt they will be sweating the results, as I am sure they will sell them all.

They'll sell these 250 and then move on to their next Feature Title.

#303 1 year ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

I bought a standard Rick and Morty and a standard Ultraman. Really respected Spooky for offering the low-buck option with no impact on gameplay for the few of us not interested in the frill. Disappointed there's no 'base model' TNA but with this small of a run, I get it. Not happy about it, but I get it.

If Spooky only offers an optioned out model for their next 'cornerstone'/full release, I'll be concerned that they're taking the company a direction I'm not happy with. But for now, just disappointed.

I'm with you, but we are definitely in the minority. I don't care much about toppers, stickers, art blades, colored powder coat, collectors editions, etc. These weren't even a factor in pinball until recently and have the biggest markup vs cost. I just want the full featured game. My friends that come over don't even know or notice the difference between models because they don't follow pinside.

#304 1 year ago

The answer to the question of cost will be answered soon. If a month from now they still have games available, perhaps it was too high. If they sell out in seconds, they were too low. Supply and Demand.

#305 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I noticed. If someone can pull the raw data, I can probably find time to redo the math.

Certainly doesn't feel good. Unfortunately, what many want it to cost is less then it costs to produce. *sad shrug*

I don’t understand why you guys come in here and engage these people.

You don’t see Gary Stern coming in here defending $20k Elviras and $??? Beatles Diamonds.

There’s something to be learned in that.

#306 1 year ago

Standard man here, hope they don’t disappear.
Also stainless looks appropriate on TNA.

#307 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Certainly doesn't feel good. Unfortunately, what many want it to cost is less then it costs to produce. *sad shrug*

I think it's broken down very clearly for everyone to see in post #251 by 27dnast, costs of everything have gone up considerably. Only thing you could have done possibly was make a cheaper standard edition but most chose the CE option on your last game so makes sense why you guys went this route. People just have the 2017 6k figure stuck in their head and don't want to embrace reality, part of the complaining is flippers that got burnt on HW/UM also.

#308 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Only thing you could have done possibly was make a cheaper standard edition but most chose the CE option on your last game

Which would increase production costs and make the build more difficult.

I don't doubt they considered it. But if they want to nail the build time, additional models and/or options would not help them do so.

#309 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Which would increase production costs and make the build more difficult.
I don't doubt they considered it. But if they want to nail the build time, additional models and/or options would not help them do so.

Yes, I would have made the same decision they did.

#310 1 year ago

Cactus Canyon is only 8k and has mechs and ramps.

#311 1 year ago

Here's an idea, just sell all the parts in a kit and people can assemble them at home at a discount. Just a cheap and simple street level game right? Should be a piece of cake . Joking obviously.

#312 1 year ago

I've never seen one in the wild to try.

#313 1 year ago

I have a wanted add up for the original game if anyone is selling:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/175#post-7111536

Obviously Im willing to pay more than "normal"

#314 1 year ago
Quoted from Av8:

Medieval Madness remake was $8K in 2015. Almost 8 years ago... its pretty dam cool to see CGC is still giving us great games at great value still to this day.

#315 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

reply fail.

#316 1 year ago
Quoted from Av8:

I'd rather own a Houdini or Oktoberfest for cheaper, CC got real old real fast for me.

#317 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinbaltz:

That’s the first time that I saw that only 23 butter cabinets were made. Was that confirmed by Spooky?
I also have a butter cabinet TNA (bought new). I would have expected that number to be higher. Are there butter cabinet production numbers for their other games? Just curious. Personally, I think it’s awesome, but probably not worth the 1k premium.
Also, there was no mention of butter for this run, so I assume that it’s not an option. I would expect this option to go away on future games. I can’t imagine it’s worth the production complications for them when they sell so few.

I asked them and they told me exactly 23

I do not think this info is on the web anywhere?

#318 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

It is quite possible this hints it isn't a viable product at this price given competitive offerings. I hope that isn't the case, but it should be clear soon enough.

#319 1 year ago

TNA is a fantastic game.
I really wanted one…
Inflation is real.
There will likely be some who do think it will be worth $9k. We will see soon. The more out there the better and I’m glad they are making more.

What I don’t quite get is when you benchmark TNA to others from a pure cost perspective. Not arguing theme or fun, clearly that should be factored in when anyone decides what something is worth…..

Let’s pick Hot wheels. Going for $7200, through a distributor who also is making some margin on the game. So let’s say American revenue is $6900 per game and I’m assuming American is making a fair profit.

So why is TNA more ?

TNA does have additional displays which are not needed but really cool. So that is some extra cost. The armor is more, although I prefer stainless. Sound system maybe more assuming it may have more thump.

Both have really solid cabinets and quality playfields, lcd screens assume the same, LED lighting let’s call it the same, but hot wheels may have even more. I love the TNA cabinet! Maybe it has extra costs. Not sure. Need to look at playfields to see which has more stuff. HW has a ramp…

We could say hot wheels is higher volume and iTNA is only a small run. But I think TNA is using mostly standard parts and it’s already designed so economies of scale are not quite as important.

Having said all of this maybe some part got super expensive or they simply see the chance to improve margins. Nothing wrong with that if the market will bare it.

If margins are slim for spooky, they should look at their costs as this really poor benchmark says something is higher than their competitors. (Board set likely a place where costs are higher, labor cost in Benson, vs Chicago no idea)

I’m out at $9k and bummed, it’s a cool game.

#320 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

I'd rather own a Houdini or Oktoberfest for cheaper, CC got real old real fast for me.

CCR or just CC? CCR- code has been upgraded already and they still haven't released Lyman's code for this game yet.

#321 1 year ago

Kaneda says everything !

#322 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

I think this is going to be an unpopular opinion.
The supply chain is still fraked from Coronavirus. The cost of wood, electronics, all of it is much more expensive than 5 years ago. If they’re selling for $9, I don’t think it’s greed. I think that’s what it costs a small company because 250 is not a lot of parts to buy in bulk.
Spooky has been pretty transparent with us Halloween owners. I trust they’re dealing with us on the square.
Godzilla is a better game and a better value for $9000. This is a boutique game, the way an Aston is a boutique sports car.

I wanted a day to think about this. And I in or am I out on this? I'm in Spooky's Club specifically to get first dibs, as Halloween was so hard to get.

TNA is unquestionably a great game with great sound design. And my 9 pin collection lacks a quick, hard game. This is very, very tempting.

But, the real question is value. If I were to sell my Halloween today, I'd probably lose quite a bit on the game. And I think this would be a similar situation. Used TNA prices aren't going to 9 - this cabinet will quickly hit used TNA prices.

If Stern puts out 007, a premium of that will be MORE worth 9k. But, I'll still very eager to see what Spooky puts up next.

I'm out, but I wish them the best.

#323 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

... I'm in Spooky's Club specifically to get first dibs, as Halloween was so hard to get.

Halloween may have been easier to get thru a distro without the (auto renewing ) fang club membership. Total cluster fuck

#324 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Its clear Spooky has lost a lot of face with this whole TNA price thing.

It is?

#325 1 year ago

Yes, it's a Dark Night for Spooky. Total disaster. They shant recover.

Just like what happens twice a year when every company announces a game.

#326 1 year ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

My opinion doesnt really matter, and shouldnt, but it's weird to me that we got to a level I never thought we'd see. I cant justify buying a NIB pin.
I've spent over $200k on pins in just the last two years (sold plenty, I think I've got about $160k in my current lineup). If anything I'll toss $10k at something like Led Zeppelin and take a loss to sell. I dropped $9300 on UM and sold it for $6950. No big deal.
I can't spend $9k on this.
I didn't think I'd hit a limit but then TS4 CE I backed out of.
As much as I love pinball and buying the latest and greatest thing, I have no reservations about passing on this at this price, which probably makes me a hypocrite on other things I went for, but I'm just surprised there will be 250 people who will toss that much $$ at this game.
Maybe it's because I only have like 5 plays on it at a show, but I dont get it. Back to waiting for Stern to release something so I can pay too much for an LE that I'll eventually sell at a loss in 9 months

You’ve got 18 games, bro. You can easily stop buying and never have a boring night for the rest of your life. You don’t “need” a TNA….but imagine someone who has zero games. Here’s a new awesome game they can buy right now.

We’re all at different stages of our pin journey. I hate the current high prices from all companies - but I can sell one of my “oldies” & it’s basically like a trade. If you really wanted a new TNA, you could sell something you’re not playing much & it’s not so painful…. But you don’t want it anyway, so there ya go.

#327 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

TNA is unquestionably a great game with great sound design. And my 9 pin collection lacks a quick, hard game. This is very, very tempting.
But, the real question is value.

If you want a quick/hard game at a lower price, consider Iron Man or Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Great games with simple, but well thought out & addicting gameplay & rules. Also very intense soundtracks on both.

#328 1 year ago

After reading this thread I've decided I'm in. I hope I end up being able to score one tomorrow. I think the competition is going to be fierce.

#329 1 year ago

You can’t really compare it to JP or Hot wheels or whatever from cost of materials or part count. It’s like saying you were deciding to see Dave Chappelle or Jerry Seinfeld in concert and expect they should charge the same money. It’s not necessarily a one to one proposal, Spooky is not Stern is not JJP.

Tron has less parts than XMLE (moving ramp, spinning magnet, pop up trolls) but Tron sells for a higher price for whatever reason. For whatever reason TNA sells for more than Hot Wheels or TMNT pro. It’s just what it is. Also TNA might be less produced so people might hold on to it if they like it because it’s hard to replace. Heck I’m holding all my pins because once I sell them it’ll be hard to replace if I want that title again. I look at the for sale ads it’s like 6-8 pins in my area that I can choose from, not necessarily the games I want tho.

If Spooky is buying pinballs for example they probably buy a few thousand or ten thousand, Stern could make an order for 100k pinballs likely they would pay less. And it could be for every single component and building 10,000 pins a year is probably more efficient than building 800 a year.

#330 1 year ago
Quoted from Av8:

And guarantee that’s too cheap already.

#331 1 year ago

You're not wrong. I dont even need to sell anything right now because I have room but I guess I see the value of this pin closer to $7500 and having not played it enough, I dont think I really want it. With Stern's new release around the corner, I feel like I can pick that sight unseen and if I dont love it at worst I may lose $500 offloading it.

Quoted from Rarehero:

You’ve got 18 games, bro. You can easily stop buying and never have a boring night for the rest of your life. You don’t “need” a TNA….but imagine someone who has zero games. Here’s a new awesome game they can buy right now.
We’re all at different stages of our pin journey. I hate the current high prices from all companies - but I can sell one of my “oldies” & it’s basically like a trade. If you really wanted a new TNA, you could sell something you’re not playing much & it’s not so painful…. But you don’t want it anyway, so there ya go.

#332 1 year ago

I'm not thrilled the machine is going to cost 10k but I think it's worth it. It's so unique and just an amazing experience. Spooky is a great company to deal with and have top notch support. I'm hoping the higher price helps me be able to score one and am happy they're not allowing transfers so the flipper scum don't buy them all up.

#333 1 year ago

For the record, they are allowing transfers between people. They are not allowing deposits to be transferred to another Spooky game.

#334 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

For the record, they are allowing transfers between people. They are not allowing deposits to be transferred to another Spooky game.

You sure about that? Is says non transferable on the email.

#335 1 year ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

You're not wrong. I dont even need to sell anything right now because I have room but I guess I see the value of this pin closer to $7500 and having not played it enough, I dont think I really want it. With Stern's new release around the corner, I feel like I can pick that sight unseen and if I dont love it at worst I may lose $500 offloading it.

...that's assuming Stern prices stay the same as their last title, but considering that release was in January, I wouldn't make that bet. People weren't able to grab a TS4, HWN/UM sight unseen and only lose $500 offloading it after the price increases.

If Stern ticks up to $13/$11/$9 for LE/Prem/Pro on the next title (or even 12/10/8), it's going to make a lot of people think before they just blindly shell out the cash on a game they've never played. I freaking hate the price increases like everyone else - the only positive aspect that I have been enjoying is that flippers are taking a beating on TS4/HWN/UM.

That being said - TNA is a fantastic game and will always be rare (800 units). I don't think there's a lot of exposure even at $9k - the 2.0s will easily sell for $8-9k used in the near term - more in the long term.

#336 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

...that's assuming Stern prices stay the same as their last title

Can't possibly happen. They will have a price increase, too. And it won't be subtle.

#337 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

CCR or just CC? CCR- code has been upgraded already and they still haven't released Lyman's code for this game yet.

I played CC continued, of course if the code is a major change I'll revisit it but Lyman's not with us anymore so who knows how much he worked on before his passing.

#338 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

The 2.0s will easily sell for $8-9k used in the near term - more in the long term.

Do you really think so? If I were sure I could get my money back, I'd pull the trigger. What's your thinking on that?

#339 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

Do you really think so? If I were sure I could get my money back, I'd pull the trigger. What's your thinking on that?

There's no way you'll lose money on this. There are so few out there and it's an amazing game. There will always be demand.
I traded my original routed game straight up for an MMR.

#340 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

I do - as the nice used ones from the first run were already up to $9k.

But here's the bad news - you may not ever want to get rid of it. I downsized my collection a few years back when I moved (going from 30 pins down to 7) and TNA was one of those 7. I can re-buy most of the ones I sold, but finding a cherry TNA would be hard so I kept it. 4 player co-op when you have people over is so much fun. It's the one game that non-pinhead friends ask to buy after playing it.

#341 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

There has been a TNA back and forth, at the Katy location and then out to the Richmond location and now is back at the Katy location, ever since just before production ended on.the 1st run.

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/8710-einsteins-pub-katy-tx

#342 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

But here's the bad news - you may not ever want to get rid of it. I downsized my collection a few years back when I moved (going from 30 pins down to 7) and TNA was one of those 7. I can re-buy most of the ones I sold, but finding a cherry TNA would be hard so I kept it. 4 player co-op when you have people over is so much fun. It's the one game that non-pinhead friends ask to buy after playing it.

After trading my OG game I have been looking for one reasonably priced and within driving distance for the past 3 years. I'm so excited to get the chance to get another one tomorrow.

More power to those that don't want one cause it doesn't have a ramp. Better chance for me to get one. I can always buy a Stern since they make unlimited supply of them. Also I bet the stern pro gets a price increase to 7500 next run. Just watch.

#343 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

Plus - what other game can you pimp out in all pink???

AFCF4739-7EAB-44BB-AAF1-45F7ACA298FB (resized).jpegAFCF4739-7EAB-44BB-AAF1-45F7ACA298FB (resized).jpeg

(my son from 5 years ago - not me)

#344 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Plus - what other game can you pimp out in all pink???
[quoted image]
(my son from 5 years ago - not me)

Dude.. that looks killer! I'm gonna see if I can be one of the 250 units. Never really lucky, but will try.

Worst case... Lost $50 being a Fang member.

#345 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

But here's the bad news - you may not ever want to get rid of it.

…and that’s the true reason to buy one. It’s become one of my “desert island” games for sure. Buy it if you wanna enjoy the shit out of it for years/decades to come.

#346 1 year ago
Quoted from Av8:

Just because one company sells a product at one price or lower than others, doesn't mean it's smart or what another company is comfortable with.

In my nearly 30 years of manufacturing, when someone tells me "oh I can get it for X price at Y", I tell them to then go and buy it from Y, cause my price is what I want and need to sell my product for.

And it's funny how after all these years so many of these other companies who sold less than I did... have gone under or got out of the product line I was selling for more money. Hmmm.

Don't let others dictate your worth or how you should run your business.

#347 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Here's an idea, just sell all the parts in a kit and people can assemble them at home at a discount. Just a cheap and simple street level game right? Should be a piece of cake . Joking obviously.

I would actually be down for this. You would learn quite a bit about the process and how it works (if you didn't already).

#348 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

That's the kicker tho.. TNA is in that window of time when many machines were a bargain at MSRP. Many would love to go back to 2017 and grab a MET and some others while we're there...

If the machine landed in the house 9k, then maybe safe to not lose much $.. but for most, the actual cost by the time it's all said and done is significantly more. It's a really neat title, of course, if you know you will keep it forever, then buy it MSRP and have it new.. but I definitely would not buy this pin at 9k+ addnl costs and expect it to keep that value.

#349 1 year ago

Going to bookmark this thread and see how it ages in 12 months after a few more rounds of Stern price increases and CGC's next announcement (if we ever get there).

#350 1 year ago

TNA is, in my opinion, the best game in ten years...I am buying one for myself tomorrow morning at 10am! Todd Tuckey

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,698 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-tna-rerun-are-you-in-or-out/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.