(Topic ID: 321343)

Spooky TNA remake announced - you in or out?

By Vino

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,698 posts
  • 292 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“TNA remake - are you in or out?”

• Finally! I’m in! 74 votes
    12%
  • I’m out - no thanks 517 votes
    83%
  • Mayyybe - give reason 33 votes
    5%

(624 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CCA45F02-CCD3-4A80-8011-A1722E7A5035 (resized).jpeg
BC5F4B1A-B237-480D-B544-02716497298F (resized).jpeg
0670E324-8222-4AE5-9C17-4DA3123E6D9D.gif
D16B8705-BA6F-4390-BB6D-7C17396EADB7 (resized).jpeg
34FAC7F6-FCCB-461D-82DE-670E212291E3 (resized).jpeg
20230103_212116 (resized).jpg
20230103_211607 (resized).jpg
20230103_211615 (resized).jpg
20230103_193928 (resized).jpg
20230103_204537 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
A3A696BC-7792-4144-AAF8-7D1E18079A88 (resized).jpeg
F121382D-373C-4473-B6F7-161498EF4BAC (resized).jpeg
05F76F2C-C2D6-407E-A589-D3045EEF116F (resized).jpeg
A72DAB09-0BE9-497B-ABE9-957C97396E3D (resized).jpeg
E14F3DAC-59BE-4323-B453-A333CC0A64D5 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,698 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 34.
#151 1 year ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

With what these have been selling for on the used market this year, what did everyone expect? The new version has $1000.00 in extras the original didn't. Powder coat including the coin door, shaker, knocker, lighted speaker grills, lighted drop targets, art blades, plastic protectors, upgraded metal fold down speaker panel were all upgrades or not not options for the original run.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine sold for $8,500 and had all the extras and then some (minus the powder). Keep in mind....one of the reasons of the value is due to 550 total units, now at 800 and MAYBE more to come???? It's just not as rare. Still 800 isn't a ton but I was hoping that it would have been less for people wanting to pick up such a great game.

#152 1 year ago

TNA is hands down the most played pin whenever we have a get together - whether that's a group of teenagers or a group of adults. It's easy to explain and everyone gets into co-op mode. Plus the music...the lights....are just pure pinball sex.

Is a Super Air Nautique G25 really worth $240k? Freak no. But at the same time...dayum it's sexy.

FB.jpgFB.jpg

#153 1 year ago

This was the only other Spooky title I was considering but the cost and problems I’ve had with QC on my Halloween are causing me pause. I can’t do it.

#154 1 year ago

It looks so tiny in that picture

#155 1 year ago

I was a NIB buyer on the original run. Great game, had a lot of fun with it and owned it for a couple of years. Ultimately I sold as I had played it a bunch and found I was having basically as much fun with my Meteor I had picked up for only $500.

Unless you have friends over a lot to play multiplayer, at $9k I would grab a Stern prem or CCr.

#156 1 year ago

I picked up a tna last spring. It wasn’t for sale but I offered the pinsider 9k. I figured the new run would cost around 9 anyway. I’m surprised so many people didn’t expect this price with the way the whole market has gone.

#157 1 year ago

The collapse of the USD is in the final stages imo.

#158 1 year ago

I would not sell my TNA for $9k or less.

After 110 pins i have owned, TNA ranks in the top 3 for me.
Even after playing it thousands of times for 3yrs, it still is a long term keeper.

#159 1 year ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Mine sold for $8,500 and had all the extras and then some (minus the powder). Keep in mind....one of the reasons of the value is due to 550 total units, now at 800 and MAYBE more to come???? It's just not as rare. Still 800 isn't a ton but I was hoping that it would have been less for people wanting to pick up such a great game.

Keep in mind how many new people has gotten into the hobby since then. And now that every company is making 1000+ of their LEs, this is still low production.
I remember people griping over the price at 5995.00 because it didn't have ramps. A few months into production, they were bringing more on the used market than what Spooky was selling them for.

#160 1 year ago

It’s my favorite pin. Since I’ve bought it’s gotten 90% of my time when I turn the machines on

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from livetowin:

Really disappointed in what this company is turning into. Bought an ACNC last summer and it had powder coat scratches and connectors with wiring backwards preventing features not to work. Bolts not shipped. Sold after a weekend and the guy who bought knew of the issues and began attempting to contact Spooky to make it right. Hasn’t happened yet. Then i foolishly put down on Halloween and we know how that story is ending. At least got half of my deposit back. Now a 9k, 6.5k game? Not the Spooky we grew up with. Would I do it again, not a chance.

I too got One of the last ACNC and it was delivered in very poor shape.
So many mechanical issues! I couldn't play it!
Both ball locks didn;t work, magnet didn't work, balls got stuck under upper playfield somewhere? Orbits didn't register, game spit out random extra balls, the spiral ramp threw balls into outlane. Servo issues, the Right orbit shot was so tight a ball barely fit between the rails and got rejected back SDTM.

Shipped it back to Spooky to be "rebuilt" in working condition and they kept it and refunded me.
I lost my shipping cost money sending it back to them.

Then my Ultraman was a total POS, but looked beautiful! So many mechanical issues and software issues.

But, with TNA the programming was done by someone with talent outside of Spooky. So that's a plus!

#162 1 year ago
Quoted from Firechief:

The collapse of the USD is in the final stages imo.

TNA was the tipping point.

#163 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

TNA was the tipping point.

I lol’d.

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

I remember people griping over the price at 5995.00 because it didn't have ramps.

I'm not making a statement one way or the other about today's $9k, but the lack of understanding back then is still at work now. Some (not all) of the outcry is due to starting with wildly off-base expectations. Stern Pro prices were NEVER on the table for TNA, because TNA is a more loaded game than a Stern Pro.

#165 1 year ago

I thought $6k for the OG was too high for what the game is

#166 1 year ago

Maybe it was only worth it to Spooky to run more at 9k with cost of materials and labor being more and a pain in the ass to build. They can't jump in a time machine and build 250 more at 2017 material and labor prices, it's not all about being greedy as some are making it out to be.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Maybe it was only worth it to Spooky to run more at 9k with cost of materials and labor being more and a pain in the ass to build. They can't jump in a time machine and build 250 more at 2017 material and labor prices, it's not all about being greedy as some are making it out to be.

Let me remind you that 9,000 X 250 = 2,250,000. On a playfield they already have the schematics for, layouts done, over the shelf parts, and no code update besides bug fixes. Explain to me again how you think they had to sell it at 9K just to make it worth their while? I easily see them making a minimum of 1 million and change profit on a product that honestly someone else built, designed, coded, and did the sound work on. Building it is definitely worth their interested and if this sells out you bet they'll continue to make more. I mean why not? it's easy money.

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

I was a NIB buyer on the original run. Great game, had a lot of fun with it and owned it for a couple of years. Ultimately I sold as I had played it a bunch and found I was having basically as much fun with my Meteor I had picked up for only $500.
Unless you have friends over a lot to play multiplayer, at $9k I would grab a Stern prem or CCr.

Hit me up if you ever want to sell Meteor

#169 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

Let me remind you that 9,000 X 250 = 2,250,000. On a playfield they already have the schematics for, layouts done, over the shelf parts, and no code update besides bug fixes. Explain to me again how you think they had to sell it at 9K just to make it worth their while? I easily see them making a minimum of 1 million and change profit on a product that honestly someone else built, designed, coded, and did the sound work on. Building it is definitely worth their interested and if this sells out you bet they'll continue to make more. I mean why not? it's easy money.

I know there are a lot of factors involved but I would think having the blueprint (art, layout, coding, lighting programming) would be a significant portion of development. Does spooky own all the rights to TNA?

#170 1 year ago
Quoted from THEFOZ:

I know there are a lot of factors involved but I would think having the blueprint (art, layout, coding, lighting programming) would be a significant portion of development. Does spooky own all the rights to TNA?

I doubt it. My ASSumption is that Scott gets a per-game fee and Spooky doesn't own the design outright.

#171 1 year ago

I don't think Spooky had to develop much of anything, the entire game was already ready to go courtesy of Mr. Danesi!

#172 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I don't think Spooky had to develop much of anything, the entire game was already ready to go courtesy of Mr. Danesi!

Yes... Danesi did a fantastic job with this machine. I hope he is getting a good chunk of change from this because he sure earned it. Layout, most of the code, design, and all the music... with off the shelf parts and a few of his own design!

#173 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

Materials would be majority of the cost for a pinball machine still. Labor intensive also. The issue is not that they know how to make it, it's that the components would not be readily available, they still need to have many of the components manufactured. This is where economics of scale hurt as a run of only 200 machines is gonna raise the costs of every unique component involved.

Besides the inflationary increases in everything, it's still a company whose sole purpose is to make money, and you typically aim for a percentage of profit. Cost to manufacture go up, the margin of profit also is gonna go up.

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

I said materials and labor not R&D. You know for a fact that they had everything on the shelf to build 250 more bought at 2017 prices? Paying people to build them now costs more thanks to certain factors that took place between 2017 and 2022. They've also said numerous times that the game was a pain to assemble, takes more paid man hours on each game to complete.

#175 1 year ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

I would not sell my TNA for $9k or less.
After 110 pins i have owned, TNA ranks in the top 3 for me.
Even after playing it thousands of times for 3yrs, it still is a long term keeper.

That may all be true but just because it’s a good pin doesn’t mean it’s worth $9,000. I have a Seawitch that I love but as much as I love it I don’t think it’s worth more than $3,500 or so.

#176 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Materials would be majority of the cost for a pinball machine still. Labor intensive also. The issue is not that they know how to make it, it's that the components would not be readily available, they still need to have many of the components manufactured. This is where economics of scale hurt as a run of only 200 machines is gonna raise the costs of every unique component involved.
Besides the inflationary increases in everything, it's still a company whose sole purpose is to make money, and you typically aim for a percentage of profit. Cost to manufacture go up, the margin of profit also is gonna go up.

True, we don't have the insight to guess too much on costs, other than I'm sure at 9k, it was worthwhile from a business perspective.

That said, as far as customer relationship goes, I kind of feel Spooky has a good reputation from a company perspective, providing boutique games with decent product value to boot. When TS4 launched, the price point really turned many off. We could argue all sorts of things about that. I feel it is kind of the same thing here, many supporters might feel this is a bit of a slap in the face.. anyone with a pulse on the industry would know that the 9k price point was not going to fly well with the community as a whole... It is as if manufacturers are looking at what they could sell a NIB unit for on the resale market, VS actually basing MSRP on the BOM and actual costs of production with a margin.

#177 1 year ago

I mean (in my mind) I had thought the update would include something like a reactor hologram (or video screen) that would animate when it was overheating.

Something like that would have been worth more money and maybe OG owners would have paid to buy a new one and sold their OG machine. This leaves very little for the OG owners to desire.

The real diehard TNA fans probably already have 1.0 version.

#178 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Ah, TNA has the least components of any pin made since 1980 I bet.

One pop bumper, Three flippers, Three drops, a scoop, and some targets.

All that totals up to around a few hundred bucks when buying in bulk.

#179 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I doubt it. My ASSumption is that Scott gets a per-game fee and Spooky doesn't own the design outright.

You're correct. SpookyLuke confirmed it yesterday.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread/page/224#post-7107641

#180 1 year ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Full color changing LEDs, real back glass.

#181 1 year ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

That may all be true but just because it’s a good pin doesn’t mean it’s worth $9,000. I have a Seawitch that I love but as much as I love it I don’t think it’s worth more than $3,500 or so.

Just look at the past years sales prices for TNA.

I rest my case. (Mine is One of 23 with Butter Cabinet)

The value is what people are willing to pay! DUH. Not you specifically, but supply/demand sets the price or value.

Easy to sell a TNA for $8k used and $9k with Butter Cabinet. You cannot argue that fact

#182 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Full color changing LEDs.

Oh cool! Like a $20 string of Christmas lights!

Each LED is addressable. Same/Same.

#183 1 year ago

Stern Pros at under $7K remain the only real value in the NIB pinball business.

For people who don't care about that, there's like 10 other choices now.

#184 1 year ago

It's still $6k cheaper than the TS4 CE cash grab.

I'm sure it will sell out, it's a unique low production game that I think is really fun to play.

#185 1 year ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Quoted from rai:

Full color changing LEDs, real back glass.

The stereo system is its biggest and best toy. Unfortunately not even that is all that pricey when you buy in bulk at parts express or straight from suppliers

#186 1 year ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Oh cool! Like a $20 string of Christmas lights!
Each LED is addressable. Same/Same.

No not the same. Each addressable LED in TNA is on its own PCB and there are a ton of them. Ask anybody who happen to do a PF swap . Also you forgot the additional slings in the reactor area. Certainly not arguing your meta point, just trying to be precise.

Another cost savings for a rerun versus the original is that they should still have all of the manf jigs and tooling collecting dust, ready to go. I suspect the profit margin is higher. Not that it's a bad thing, but the idea that the new price hike is really just to cover higher parts cost just doesn't pass the sniff test. They could either be honest about that, or not try to justify it with obvious half-truths.

#187 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern Pros at under $7K remain the only real value in the NIB pinball business.
For people who don't care about that, there's like 10 other choices now.

Careful, someone is going to accuse you of working for Stern just because you stated the obvious!

#188 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Charlie or someone spoke up in the other thread that said it is licensed to Scott, so they paid him something.

#189 1 year ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

The value is what people are willing to pay! DUH. Not you specifically, but supply/demand sets the price or value.

But that isn’t what you said in your post that I quoted. You said it’s fun so, therefore, it’s worth $9,000. You should be careful with your “Duhs”…

#190 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I mean (in my mind) I had thought the update would include something like a reactor hologram (or video screen) that would animate when it was overheating.
Something like that would have been worth more money and maybe OG owners would have paid to buy a new one and sold their OG machine. This leaves very little for the OG owners to desire.
The real diehard TNA fans probably already have 1.0 version.

I'm not really clear why they even call it 2.0. Why not just TNA BSE? Name fits, and that's basically what it is. When 2.0 kept getting thrown around I thought it was going to be a reimagining.

#191 1 year ago

It's a shame really. I was excited for this launch. Was hoping they would crank out another 500 or so TNA's into the wild for people to experience/enjoy the game.

They priced it way too high and I highly doubt it sells out. And if it doesn't sell out, they aren't going to lower the price, they will just stop production. And then they will never re-run it again, because again, they aren't going to lower the price (has any manufacturer ever lowered the price of a pin that didn't sell well? I don't think so..?).

#192 1 year ago

9k + 850 CA sales tax + 300-600 in shipping. And that's only if you can put down a 2k non-refundable, non-transferrable deposit in the first few minutes that only 250 are sold.

There goes the neighborhood.

#193 1 year ago

They said Scott Danesi holds the license. So does that mean he can contract with a different manufacturer in the future to make TNA's?

Maybe CGC should get with Scott and discuss making a real TNA 2.0 with some real upgrades and legit price point. Yes, I know that would probably never happen but it would be cool.

#194 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

I easily see them making a minimum of 1 million and change profit on a product that honestly someone else built, designed, coded, and did the sound work on.

I get the frustration, but I can't even begin to tell you how far off your numbers are. I think most would be shocked a how low the margins are on pinball machines.

#195 1 year ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Maybe CGC should get with Scott and discuss making a real TNA 2.0

oh my god the thought of a TNA that doesn't require constantly re-seating RGB connectors has me drooling.

#196 1 year ago

So what should the price have been? Was 6k without the add ons five years ago when materials/labor was cheaper, now 9k with the add ons, upgrades and materials/labor has gone up. Sure Spooky's making a profit, just how much is too much for someone that risked their livelihood and scraped by multiple months to start this company.

#197 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

The stereo system is its biggest and best toy. Unfortunately not even that is all that pricey when you buy in bulk at parts express or straight from suppliers

The amp is VERY cheap! Chinese 12V car amp. Even buying One. (<$50)
Speakers are probably $9 each and $25 for the cabinet woofer.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

oh my god the thought of a TNA that doesn't require constantly re-seating RGB connectors has me drooling.

Right?

I have to reseat my plugs almost weekly. NOT fun!

#199 1 year ago

Look at Cactus Canyon!

100x more mechanical items, and toys, ramps, etc.
Still CGC got that price very low somehow. What a deal!

So, back to why TNA is $9k again??
Because the music, and game play are awesome, and the limited amount that have been produced?
Well done Scott Danesi! Too bad American Pinball, CGC, or some other company didn't assemble it.
I hope you get the majority of the profit and not the company assembling it.
Spooky will never get any more money from me. F that company!

#200 1 year ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Sounds like my Rick n Morty. I disabled the shaker motor after reseating/pushing everything one evening and it's been mostly OK since. Before that it'd go completely nuts, every insert would be random colors. They need to use more robust connectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,698 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-tna-rerun-are-you-in-or-out/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.