(Topic ID: 321343)

Spooky TNA remake announced - you in or out?

By Vino

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,698 posts
  • 292 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“TNA remake - are you in or out?”

• Finally! I’m in! 74 votes
    12%
  • I’m out - no thanks 517 votes
    83%
  • Mayyybe - give reason 33 votes
    5%

(624 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CCA45F02-CCD3-4A80-8011-A1722E7A5035 (resized).jpeg
BC5F4B1A-B237-480D-B544-02716497298F (resized).jpeg
0670E324-8222-4AE5-9C17-4DA3123E6D9D.gif
D16B8705-BA6F-4390-BB6D-7C17396EADB7 (resized).jpeg
34FAC7F6-FCCB-461D-82DE-670E212291E3 (resized).jpeg
20230103_212116 (resized).jpg
20230103_211607 (resized).jpg
20230103_211615 (resized).jpg
20230103_193928 (resized).jpg
20230103_204537 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
A3A696BC-7792-4144-AAF8-7D1E18079A88 (resized).jpeg
F121382D-373C-4473-B6F7-161498EF4BAC (resized).jpeg
05F76F2C-C2D6-407E-A589-D3045EEF116F (resized).jpeg
A72DAB09-0BE9-497B-ABE9-957C97396E3D (resized).jpeg
E14F3DAC-59BE-4323-B453-A333CC0A64D5 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,698 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 34.
#101 1 year ago

Thanks for posting the link right before I was mowing the back. Gave me something to listen to for a while and Chris was 100% correct.

#102 1 year ago

I planned to buy one if they ever did another run, but the price has made it a hard pass. There's just not enough in the game to justify a $9k sticker for me. Even $6k feels heavy right now... I think these high prices feel a lot worse since this inflation kicked in.

#103 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Is it worth 9k-to many no-but inflation has hit and the market has spoken

pretty sure this thread is "the market", and it's speaking pretty loud and clear!

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

In the majority that an overpriced game has ruined the pinball hobby ..... really?
Maybe if you always need to buy the latest and greatest out there ... but many of us buy a few machines and keep them for years with lots of enjoyment - market prices far from ruin the hobby.
I never bought any toy with the expectation it holds value. If I sell a machine at a few thousand loss that brought me years of enjoyment ... who cares
... sorry your are just being a drama queen

Brian, I am glad that this has not affected the hobby at all for you, that is all good and the way that you enjoy the hobby I respect. I have to right to feel what I feel. Don't need to insult me and call me a drama queen. I am just stating my opinion. Please be respectful.

I enjoyed the part of the hobby for the past 16 years that I can buy a NIB game every few months and rotate them out without much of a loss or a slight gain.

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Do you realize K-man is bitching about Spooky charging "flipper prices" when he is part of the problem? Dude hypes up anything he is preordering so he can turn around and flip it for more. I'm sure he was really pissed when Ultraman values tanked before he even had his built. Some of you sheep need to wake up and practice critical thinking.

Who cares? It was an entertaining podcast while I mowed the yard. Was good to hear his podcast again....haven't listened once since he went paywall. When I listen to podcasts, it's not about critical thinking, just entertain me or keep me occupied while I'm performing a task. Sometimes I even zone out and I sure don't rewind to hear what I missed.

#106 1 year ago

$9k is ridiculous for TNA but at 250 machines it will sell out easily. There’s plenty of people in this hobby who won’t think twice about that much money. Unfortunately for the rest of us it then justifies that price to Spooky and other manufacturers.

#107 1 year ago

A fellow Pinsider and myself were talking and mentioning how we would be in at a new Stern Pro price of 6900. We are not in at this price. Maybe 7500 or 8k max.

I believe by keeping this a limited run, Spooky will capitalize on rereleasing this game at the same price or inflated price and in the long run keep their line moving and have a greater profit margin.

Smart move for Spooky, but that doesn't get me in the game.

I like TNA and would consider having one someday, but in my small 3 pin collection, it doesn't have a space. At least not today, or in the near future.

#108 1 year ago

Really disappointed in what this company is turning into. Bought an ACNC last summer and it had powder coat scratches and connectors with wiring backwards preventing features not to work. Bolts not shipped. Sold after a weekend and the guy who bought knew of the issues and began attempting to contact Spooky to make it right. Hasn’t happened yet. Then i foolishly put down on Halloween and we know how that story is ending. At least got half of my deposit back. Now a 9k, 6.5k game? Not the Spooky we grew up with. Would I do it again, not a chance.

#109 1 year ago

I really wanted to be in on this but I have zero room right now. My thought is there will be 250 more games now total. To me this would drive the cost down a little bit in the used market since more will become available. I'm not sure the upgrades are really pushing me to the 2.0 vs 1.0. I dunno...

#110 1 year ago

In. Was hoping 8k but whatevs it's been on my list for a while.

I'm pricing in a 500+ increase to stern premiums this round.

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Who cares? It was an entertaining podcast while I mowed the yard. Was good to hear his podcast again....haven't listened once since he went paywall. When I listen to podcasts, it's not about critical thinking, just entertain me or keep me occupied while I'm performing a task. Sometimes I even zone out and I sure don't rewind to hear what I missed.

If you like to listen to the whiney bitch complain about "flipper prices" when he was a large part of the actual problem, go for it! Would rather listen to a random Karen at the grocery store complain about food prices going up than listen to his crap. But that's just me. I made it almost half way through and then had to turn it off. The guy sounds like a big crybaby.

#112 1 year ago
Quoted from JustJared:

I believe by keeping this a limited run, Spooky will capitalize on rereleasing this game at the same price or inflated price and in the long run keep their line moving and have a greater profit margin.

They left the door open on turning out more so its no more limited than the first run.

#113 1 year ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

My Ultraman drops in price 35% when I open the box and the price to make a new game increases 30%. Spooky’s letting the customer take all the losses. Genius.

Opening the box and playing a game? Psh, whatever, different strokes I guess.

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Do you realize K-man is bitching about Spooky charging "flipper prices" when he is part of the problem? Dude hypes up anything he is preordering so he can turn around and flip it for more. I'm sure he was really pissed when Ultraman values tanked before he even had his built. Some of you sheep need to wake up and practice critical thinking.

What, are you crazy? He doesn't take responsibility for things. He's just "asking questions"

#115 1 year ago

Well, based on the poll it looks like at least 16 will sell.

#116 1 year ago

I really love TNA. And Scott Danesi. I was very excited and totally ready to buy one of these remakes. But $9k? Almost $10k after tax and shipping? Sorry but I’m out. And I’m very disappointed that I won’t be buying this - one of my favorite pins of all time. And I’m also disappointed in Spooky.

Added 19 months ago:

Yeah I caved. This game is just too good. I’m in on number 92. I can’t wait!

#117 1 year ago

I think they will sell. Pinball is still crazy. It's just saddening for those of us who juggle costs and worth. One thing to keep in mind though on the flip side of the Spooky hate is that Stern does have the benefit of costs of scale.

#118 1 year ago

Can't blame them for cashin in; but this does remond me to cancel my fang club membership.

#119 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes but what game is more fun?
Comparing any game to TNA is comparing apples and oranges.
Is it worth 9k-to many no-but inflation has hit and the market has spoken
I think TNA is very special and is the best single level game ever made. Do I think it will get repetitive in a small collection-yes
I also want to add that TNA is one of the most popular machines for guest to play in my collection(especially with added sub-BOOM)
In short if you have always wanted a TNA do not get turned off by the price-you only live once and life is short
TNA kicks major ass!

The market spoke at $6K. Let's hold off seeing if "the market has spoke at $9K" until all 250 sell.

No need to hang a "Mission Accomplished" banner before the boat has even left the dock.

#120 1 year ago

Yeah I would've been instantly in at 7, maaaaybe as high as 8k, as this would be my first-ever NIB pin. But at 9k + tax + shipping, I'm looking at a total cost of $10k+. Even if I sold my Paragon, and ebayed a bunch of my more valuable old console video games, that's a significant out-of-pocket investment.

That being said... have I wanted this game in my home for years now? Yes. Can I somehow make this work financially? We'll see. I really just wish that Spooky had given us more than two days notice to decide whether or not we want to make such a big buy.

Official verdict: Maybe. Still soul-searching. Already discussed financials with the missus, so I'm covered in that regard, whichever way I decide

#121 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

The market spoke at $6K. Let's hold off seeing if "the market has spoke at $9K" until all 250 sell.
No need to hang a "Mission Accomplished" on a banner before the boat has even left the dock.

On the plus side, if none are going to distros, then there won't be any of that early 'sold out in an hour!' talk.

#122 1 year ago

Would have bought but since they cut out distributors on this one, I’m out.

As a buyer of five Spooky games NIB starting with AMH, every release it’s getting alittle harder each time to be a Spooky fan.

#123 1 year ago

With it being close to 10k after taxes and shipping, Godzilla premium is over 1k cheaper than TNA. What a joke.

#124 1 year ago
Quoted from pinlink:

With it being close to 10k after taxes and shipping, Godzilla premium is over 1k cheaper than TNA. What a joke.

Total joke.

I do like the "Only 250 made get yours today!!!!"......."Unless we make more tee hee."

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Would have bought but since they cut out distributors on this one, I’m out.

Oh man you couldn't pay me to go thru their personal ordering experience again.

#125 1 year ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Well some are still paying tax and shipping on GZ. Yes the price is high but tax and shipping apply to all games.

#126 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

If you like to listen to the whiney bitch complain about "flipper prices" when he was a large part of the actual problem, go for it! Would rather listen to a random Karen at the grocery store complain about food prices going up than listen to his crap. But that's just me. I made it almost half way through and then had to turn it off. The guy sounds like a big crybaby.

Ok? Enjoy your trip to the grocery store, I guess?

#127 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

Wow this game was 6K when it was released in 2017. How in the world are they justifying charging 3K more (9K) in 2022? I know they'll blame it on inflation but we all know it's just greed at this point.[quoted image]

Greed? It's called business.

Spooky isn't some kind of charity scraping by just to make people happy. They are a manufacturer that has to pay overhead, labor, source parts, and make a profit.

Why in the world they undercut themselves and undersell compared to what the market has been doing?

You're smoking crack if think they can make the same game they made 5 years ago for a near similar price. PLUS, that $6K price point you're highlighting doesn't include any of the upgrades that everyone paid for extra back in 2017.

#128 1 year ago

With what these have been selling for on the used market this year, what did everyone expect? The new version has $1000.00 in extras the original didn't. Powder coat including the coin door, shaker, knocker, lighted speaker grills, lighted drop targets, art blades, plastic protectors, upgraded metal fold down speaker panel were all upgrades or not not options for the original run.

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.21.54 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.21.54 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.22.28 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.22.28 AM (resized).png
#129 1 year ago

I'm out on this but not because of price, just not my favorite game. I went to Autozone today to pick up some stuff to do an oil change. A box of 100 nitrile gloves before the pandemic was $18. Today $38. I think we will see all manufacturers prices go up. GZ prices are from a year ago. I think Sterns margins have shrunk a little bit since. I love my Halloween and I would be in on an Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness CE machine from them. I can afford new games but not every new game. I have to be a little selective. I would be out on a Scooby Doo game. Compared to what people are asking for used games, NIB is still the best bargain in pinball right now. 14K for an MMr? Get outta here with that. And I own that game at 8K NIB.

#130 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Well some are still paying tax and shipping on GZ. Yes the price is high but tax and shipping apply to all games.

It’s very easy to find free shipping on stern games. It’s fair to call it added cost. Agree on tax - even if they aren’t collecting, in most states the recipient should be reporting.

#131 1 year ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

The poll would be more useful if it were only for people who were thinking about getting the game and made their decision once pricing and features were revealed. Though some posts are of that variety, there's no way to tell how many of the "out" votes were from people who were never considering being "in" in the first place. And so we can't learn how much of an impact on potential sales the $9k pricing reportedly has had.

Yes, you cannot be "out" if you had no intention of purchasing in the first place.

#132 1 year ago

£10K in the UK - seriously doubt anyone is going to pay that!

I would love to know if its possible to retrofit the folding down panel to the original.

Neil.

#133 1 year ago

All the TNA owners trying to convince us that the price makes sense is hilarious

#134 1 year ago

I'm out.. happy to get in on a Cactus Canyon LE for the same price!

#135 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Of course you don't have to buy it, (and I won't be anymore). That isn't the point though. These prices are not justified for these last few games I mentioned. Godzilla at 9K is outrageous I agree with you. But at least it is a loaded game. Put a Godzilla Playfield next to a TNA, it is CRAZY that these are the same price. These companies are taking advantage and marking these games well over inflation. The fact that you don't understand the fuss over these prices when we are getting much less in these games blows my mind!

TNA has a lot of features and still a pinball machine much the same as GZ. You can count coils and pretend you know you much it costs to build these things but makes no difference to me. Like always, you look at the price tag and determine if it's agreeable for what you are buying. If not, then pass. Pretty much all nib prices are unagreeable to me so I do not buy. You vote with your wallet plain and simple. Problem is votes are overwhelmingly in favor of higher prices both on new and used pins. You can throw a fit but I see no point.

#136 1 year ago

I’d love a TNA. I’m counting on lots of flippers gobbling them up in the first hour and then selling for a $1500 loss a couple of months later. That’s how I’ll get my $7500 TNA. Gotta learn to let pingreed and FOMO work for you, not against!

…just don’t anyone tell the flippers! Tell them TNA is clearly an $11k game all day long.

#137 1 year ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

With what these have been selling for on the used market this year, what did everyone expect? The new version has $1000.00 in extras the original didn't. Powder coat including the coin door, shaker, knocker, lighted speaker grills, lighted drop targets, art blades, plastic protectors, upgraded metal fold down speaker panel were all upgrades or not not options for the original run.
[quoted image][quoted image]

You are also not taking into consideration that the limited quantity and rarity drove up the price. If this pin was properly priced at 7K maybe even 7.5K the used price market would properly reflect that. Now with the prices through the roof it will still affect the market but negatively.

In the end something is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. We all know that as great as this PIN is, it's not worth 9K when compared to other PINS that are packed in parts at this same price point. GZ is a great example; In the end our wallet's speak louder than any text on a forum ever will. We can bitch all we want, but if they sell out from big spenders who could care less on the price then that's all that matters to spooky. You all have to decide to either join the big spender bandwagon or vote with your wallet and not buy anymore overpriced PINS to bring the prices back down to normalcy.

#138 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Greed? It's called business.
Spooky isn't some kind of charity scraping by just to make people happy. They are a manufacturer that has to pay overhead, labor, source parts, and make a profit.
Why in the world they undercut themselves and undersell compared to what the market has been doing?
You're smoking crack if think they can make the same game they made 5 years ago for a near similar price. PLUS, that $6K price point you're highlighting doesn't include any of the upgrades that everyone paid for extra back in 2017.

Are you actually making the point that 3K in upgrades (50% of the initial value of this PIN) are somehow in this TNA 2.0?

Also looking at the current poll, I say so far it's not looking like a very wise business decision. Even if this run sells out at 9K, it will leave a sour taste in most people's eyes and I doubt they'll run to support any new releases in the future. A positive company image is a hard thing to gain back after you lose the customer's trust. It's not worth making a quick profit to piss off your customers. It will always hurt you in the long run.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#139 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Because there may be long term consequences in terms of their reputation and negative impact on their brand. I certainly view them differently now. Sometimes it’s better to look long term rather than to just take what you can get in the present moment.

#140 1 year ago

This is pinball...has any negative news stopped people from buying? For every one person who is mad, there are 2 waiting to take their place.

Now...could something eventually happen like the movement in the graphics card area? Maybe, but who knows when that will be..and at that point everyone's 15k machines will be worth much less anyway.

#141 1 year ago

Oh man Spooky, you do you… but this isn’t a good time to push your price ceiling.

I had a TNA, loved it. Ended up selling it for a big loss after I had my fun because all the posts were pooling and chipping.

Then I missed the boat on Rick and Morty because of all the flippers instantly snagging up the pre-orders and paid a premium to get one. Loved the game, but after fixing countless problems and having the game down constantly I had enough after it was finally 100% and traded it.

Then they come up with a dream theme, with the promise of Bowen on the rules and a loaded playfield. Didn’t want to pay a premium again so I hopped on sight unseen to secure one without a single gameplay video. Of course I had to pay for the fan club to even have the option.

We all know Bowen was pushed aside for the rules, and they trusted the design and animation to a super fan with zero chops for making this kind of stuff. I heard the murmuring that it was a mess but I assumed surely I won’t lose more than my deposit and I should give the game a chance. The code was a year old when I got mine and it was still terrible. Ended up taking a 2.5k loss on that one, I had zero trust that the code would be saved. The person I sold it to had to pay them for all new powder coated hardware because the original turned black btw. I mean, c’mon.

I love the concept of Spooky and I know they are great people, but sadly I’m out of pretty much anything they release from here on in unless it’s been out for a while and is universally loved… however, due to the state of the hobby, if it turns out to be a great game that means paying above MSRP since the run would be long sold out… I’m through paying over 10k for a toy. Especially for one that comes from a company that can’t seem to put out an overall functional product.

#142 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

They left the door open on turning out more so its no more limited than the first run.

Ex

Quoted from Krupps4:

Because there may be long term consequences in terms of their reputation and negative impact on their brand. I certainly view them differently now. Sometimes it’s better to look long term rather than to just take what you can get in the present moment.

Krupps: 100% agree with you here.

#143 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

£10K in the UK - seriously doubt anyone is going to pay that!

£11k actually... Half-way between a Stern Prem and a GnR LE

#144 1 year ago

To put things into perspective:

Dialed In, arguably one of the greatest and most ambitious games of all time, came out at the same time as TNA.

It is the perfect example of being totally loaded and also incredibly fun to shoot. Plus, the code and sound package is incredible.

Dialed In LE was 9k, TNA was 6k. Both prices made sense and I happily purchased both.

You can now find a nice HUO Dialed In LE for 8k. The re-run of TNA is a thousand dollars more than that, plus shipping and taxes. It’s mind boggling!

#145 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Brian, I am glad that this has not affected the hobby at all for you, that is all good and the way that you enjoy the hobby I respect. I have to right to feel what I feel. Don't need to insult me and call me a drama queen. I am just stating my opinion. Please be respectful.
I enjoyed the part of the hobby for the past 16 years that I can buy a NIB game every few months and rotate them out without much of a loss or a slight gain.

Fair enough, but then your original post should have said it ruined the hobby for YOU - not just a blanket ruined the hobby statement

#146 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Fair enough, but then your original post should have said it ruined the hobby for YOU - not just a blanket ruined the hobby statement

I mean, seriously?

#147 1 year ago

I love my TNA, but glad I got it for $5300.

#148 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

Are you actually making the point that 3K in upgrades (50% of the initial value of this PIN) are somehow in this TNA 2.0?
Also looking at the current poll, I say so far it's not looking like a very wise business decision. Even if this run sells out at 9K, it will leave a sour taste in most people's eyes and I doubt they'll run to support any new releases in the future. A positive company image is a hard thing to gain back after you lose the customer's trust. It's not worth making a quick profit to piss off your customers. It will always hurt you in the long run.[quoted image]

My TNA plus equivalent upgrades was at least $7k shipped. That’s my first point. $6k only got you the basic game. You had to pay parts/labor for all of the ads ons. Plus, the new countdown display, upgrade display, lit drops, etc have all cost money after the fact.

So, the question is, does a $2k price increase over 5 years seems justified?

I don’t see a problem with it. We’re coming out of a pandemic where parts, material, labor are scarce and significantly more expensive. Add demand on top of that.

It looks like you’ve been on Pinside for a short period of time. You’ll learn, those polls mean nothing. This site is fickle, turns on a dime… but also, it represents a very small sliver of people who buy games.

#149 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

To put things into perspective:
Dialed In, arguably one of the greatest and most ambitious games of all time, came out at the same time as TNA.
It is the perfect example of being totally loaded and also incredibly fun to shoot. Plus, the code and sound package is incredible.
Dialed In LE was 9k, TNA was 6k. Both prices made sense and I happily purchased both.
You can now find a nice HUO Dialed In LE for 8k. The re-run of TNA is a thousand dollars more than that, plus shipping and taxes. It’s mind boggling!

924E6F62-B7CD-4280-BBCF-5CC891EFAE04 (resized).jpeg924E6F62-B7CD-4280-BBCF-5CC891EFAE04 (resized).jpeg

#150 1 year ago

I love TNA and was excited for the rerun but 9K is too much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,698 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-tna-rerun-are-you-in-or-out/page/3?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.