(Topic ID: 321343)

Spooky TNA remake announced - you in or out?

By Vino

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,698 posts
  • 292 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“TNA remake - are you in or out?”

• Finally! I’m in! 74 votes
    12%
  • I’m out - no thanks 517 votes
    83%
  • Mayyybe - give reason 33 votes
    5%

(624 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CCA45F02-CCD3-4A80-8011-A1722E7A5035 (resized).jpeg
BC5F4B1A-B237-480D-B544-02716497298F (resized).jpeg
0670E324-8222-4AE5-9C17-4DA3123E6D9D.gif
D16B8705-BA6F-4390-BB6D-7C17396EADB7 (resized).jpeg
34FAC7F6-FCCB-461D-82DE-670E212291E3 (resized).jpeg
20230103_212116 (resized).jpg
20230103_211607 (resized).jpg
20230103_211615 (resized).jpg
20230103_193928 (resized).jpg
20230103_204537 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
A3A696BC-7792-4144-AAF8-7D1E18079A88 (resized).jpeg
F121382D-373C-4473-B6F7-161498EF4BAC (resized).jpeg
05F76F2C-C2D6-407E-A589-D3045EEF116F (resized).jpeg
A72DAB09-0BE9-497B-ABE9-957C97396E3D (resized).jpeg
E14F3DAC-59BE-4323-B453-A333CC0A64D5 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,698 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 34.
#1001 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

What continues to draw me to it is its uniqueness though. You can get more features, mechs, depth of code, etc for your money with a typical modern Stern Premium, but there's nothing else on the market that really offers the cool light show, music, and high adrenaline gameplay package that TNA provides.
That said, I haven't gone from admirer to buyer ... yet.

You are correct. I’ve owned 30 pins maybe half of the top30 and nothing is comparable to TNA, not saying TNA is the best but it's way different playing it.

I’ll say CCr is the best value for a premium product. Stern and JJP makes great pins too, I’ve bought 4 Stern premium in the past 18 months. And have CCr on order. Still own TNA.

#1002 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It comes down to pricing power. Which companies can pass along inflation to their customers.
It’s gonna get worse before it gets better. Fed rate hikes and a deeper recession on the way.
And how much disposable income will be left over to spend on luxury items? Pick and choose? The Covid free lunch is over. Maybe people will use the student loan forgiveness to buy another pin?
Small nimble companies like Spooky shouldn’t have a problem navigating the downturn in the economy. They could easily downsize if they had to, like many other businesses.
As for the butter cab, I have it on my Halloween, it’s a beautiful game either way. Don’t think I would get it again though. In a lineup you just can’t fully appreciate it enough

There is a lot in play as to how this all pans out over the next few years, the pinball companies have all grown and now they have the bills to prove it. Can they sustain these inflated years, money is expensive to borrow now.

I would add that a lot of NIB pins were purchased by businesses, for sure some even with the stimulus money. Are there new establishments opening now that need 3 nib pins. A business does not need to really love the title to purchase.

Stern has flooded the market with a lot of good titles over the last 5 years, how much room is left to keep this all going.

Are there titles in the pipeline that people absolutely need or can they pass. For myself, I only buy titles which I love outside of pinball. I don't buy just to collect. But I do see here some people simply love pinball and any title is game.

#1003 1 year ago
Quoted from Tyler_Durden:

There is a lot in play as to how this all pans out over the next few years, the pinball companies have all grown and now they have the bills to prove it. Can they sustain these inflated years, money is expensive to borrow now.
I would add that a lot of NIB pins were purchased by businesses, for sure some even with the stimulus money. Are there new establishments opening now that need 3 nib pins. A business does not need to really love the title to purchase.
Stern has flooded the market with a lot of good titles over the last 5 years, how much room is left to keep this all going.
Are there titles in the pipeline that people absolutely need or can they pass. For myself, I only buy titles which I love outside of pinball. I don't buy just to collect. But I do see here some people simply love pinball and any title is game.

#1004 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

HA, spooky blocked me from commenting on their Facebook. freaking cowards.

So you come here to cry about it? You’re a broken record dude. You should be embarrassed going on their business page just to be a dick.

#1005 1 year ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

So you come here to cry about it? You’re a broken record dude. You should be embarrassed going on their business page just to be a dick.

Someone posted a link to their Facebook and that's how I noticed they blocked me, just making the comment. I didn't run to this thread unprovoked saying OMG GUYZ THEY BLOCKED ME. It was a reply to relevant, and frankly hilarious info.

I didn't say anything in the comments that others didn't.

I'm embarrassed for you to making assumptions without understanding the whole story.

#1006 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Now a Stern Pro is around $6800 delivered,

Is it? Lets wait a bit.

#1007 1 year ago

….and Spinal Tap pricing just in……USD$9495.

#1008 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Dang… just saw that. Yup, the new global pinball prices are real.

If there is a global recession then I can see this increase backtrack itiself. Otherwise, it’s here to stay for some time folks.

Still glad I got TNA on order!! Let’s get this done before all goes to hell.

#1009 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Someone posted a link to their Facebook and that's how I noticed they blocked me, just making the comment. I didn't run to this thread unprovoked saying OMG GUYZ THEY BLOCKED ME. It was a reply to relevant, and frankly hilarious info.
I didn't say anything in the comments that others didn't.
I'm embarrassed for you to making assumptions without understanding the whole story.

Ok then, give us the whole story. What was your comment?

#1010 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Looks like a few company's are involved.. Lots of hands in that cookie jar.

Quoted from zermeno68:

Dang… just saw that. Yup, the new global pinball prices are real.
If there is a global recession then I can see this increase backtrack itiself. Otherwise, it’s here to stay for some time folks.
Still glad I got TNA on order!! Let’s get this done before all goes to hell.

Ya, definitely.. that would suck if spooky went tits up during production of this game. No dealer to protect your funds like cointaker. Not saying it will happen, but definitely zero protection there because your dealing directly with spooky. Buying TBL and Alien through cointaker, no worries.

#1011 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Looks like a few company's are involved.. Lots of hands in that cookie jar.

Agreed but how much was Thunderbirds?

#1012 1 year ago

Just do a chargeback on credit card but that won’t happen.

#1013 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Just do a chargeback on credit card but that won’t happen.

Tell that to the guys that bought Alien from Highway and who bought from many, many other pinball companies that went bankrupt.
But I think that is some great advice to the guys that did buy a TNA. Don't pay in full till you get that email, ready to ship!
Only a loss of $2000. worst case. Better than losing that $12k with the margarine, taxes and shipping.

#1014 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

You can get more features, mechs, depth of code, etc for your money with a typical modern Stern Premium

Correct on all counts except mechs. TNA has more mechs than GZ premium. I’d guess you’d have to go back to the 90’s and one of Lawlor’s 6 pop bumper games to find a game with more mechs than TNA.

#1015 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

The problem is labor. Have to get the people who are somewhat smart to build games and with the amount of jobs open you have to pay a decent wage or they will just walk to another job paying more. My company was around $11-15 hr and now up about $5 an hour or they will go with at the local RV building plant making $30 but its a shit hard labor job. Fedex is at a point where there is an app and you tell fedex when you want to show up for work. They have all the power. Crazy world. Wait until Stern puts out their new prices.

Yea waiting on Bond prices, cause expect all models to be going up once again.

#1016 1 year ago

I haven't raised prices for our clients, I want to keep everyone working through this recession. Had to tighten the belt up on production, but no one will get laid off. Even if it gets to a no profit point. Sell the shit out it and collect as many deposits as possible. Lock clients in for 2-3 years.

#1017 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Buy what you like right? Tough competing with a GZ premium and a Cactus right now. And Bond is up next Tuesday.
Looks like they are up to 133 at least, 150 or so? That’s still pretty good.

Yeah, I still think it will sellout eventually. I only took issue with him saying others can't afford the game which is why they are upset over the price. Just bad taste.

#1018 1 year ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

Correct on all counts except mechs. TNA has more mechs than GZ premium. I’d guess you’d have to go back to the 90’s and one of Lawlor’s 6 pop bumper games to find a game with more mechs than TNA.

Help me understand this. As someone who is not as familiar with the game as an owner of it, I don't see how this is true. What is missing on this "details" page as far as mechs?

Screenshot_20220916-072204_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220916-072204_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1019 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Help me understand this. As someone who is not as familiar with the game as an owner of it, I don't see how this is true. What is missing on this "details" page as far as mechs?
[quoted image]

Nothing missing.

#1020 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

[quoted image]

I don't see the two VUK's/scoops listed that it has or the slings in the reactor area.

#1021 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

I don't see the two VUK's listed that it has or the slings in the reactor area.

But he says it has more than a GZ premium. Doesn't seem correct to me, but I may be missing something.

#1022 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

I don't see the two VUK's listed that it has or the slings in the reactor area.

Two VUKs or 2 scoops?

#1023 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Two VUKs or 2 scoops?

As fast as they shoot out I thought they were VUK's but could be defined as scoops, there is a mech there no matter what they are called.

#1024 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

But he says it has more than a GZ premium. Doesn't seem correct to me, but I may be missing something.

I'm not making that argument so have to take it up with him.

#1025 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

[quoted image]

The only Mech I'm aware of on TNA is the Danesi Lock for the Drop targets. It's unique for this machine although, it can be classified as simply drop targets with some software magic.

#1026 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

I'm not making that argument so have to take it up with him.

Ok, wasn't sure if I was missing something or not.

#1027 1 year ago

Feature counts don't always tell the whole story. For example, depending what you need them to do, it's possible to control three drop targets with a single coil and three switches. However, if those three drop targets are acting as ball locks, those same three drop targets might use six coils, six optos, and six full color LEDs. That complexity isn't always apparent in a quick glance.

PS: This is me speeking personally. If you love Led Zeppelin, Godzilla, Rush, Toy Story 4, or any other game more then TNA that's okay. I love games from other companies too. If those games have more personal value to you, you should obviously buy them instead. TNA is a unique game that will stand apart in a lineup of modern games. As a street level masterpiece, a lot of the complexity is under the hood and not disguised as a fancy mechs. If that's not your thing it's okay. Bottom line, buy what brings you joy and let others do the same.

#1028 1 year ago

On the fence on ordering one, has spooky posted a good shot of the powder coat? It’s hard to tell from the picture on their site because it’s kind of grainy. Also, I’m usually a pinwoofer guy but it doesn’t look like they have kits for spooky, has anyone upgraded the audio on a TNA that they would recommend going that route. I remember my R&M was ratting like crazy which drove me nuts.

#1029 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Feature counts don't always tell the whole story. For example, depending what you need them to do, it's possible to control three drop targets with a single coil and three switches. However, if those three drop targets are acting as ball locks, those same three drop targets might use six coils, six optos, and six full color LEDs. That complexity isn't always apparent in a quick glance.
PS: This is me speeking personally. If you love Led Zeppelin, Godzilla, Rush, Toy Story 4, or any other game more then TNA that's okay. I love games from other companies too. If those games have more personal value to you, you should obviously buy them instead. TNA is a unique game that will stand apart in a lineup of modern games. As a street level masterpiece, a lot of the complexity is under the hood and not disguised as a fancy mechs. If that's not your thing it's okay. Bottom line, buy what brings you joy and let others do the same.

Just curious, what's the goal on parts for this game? lets say 10 years from now, will everyone be able to buy any part then?. It's a really low production game.

#1030 1 year ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

On the fence on ordering one, has spooky posted a good shot of the powder coat? It’s hard to tell from the picture on their site because it’s kind of grainy. Also, I’m usually a pinwoofer guy but it doesn’t look like they have kits for spooky, has anyone upgraded the audio on a TNA that they would recommend going that route. I remember my R&M was ratting like crazy which drove me nuts.

You won’t need to upgrade the speakers… tna sounds awesome out of the box

#1031 1 year ago

TNA already comes with a good sub. No need to add a pinwoofer.

#1032 1 year ago

has anyone upgraded the audio on a TNA that they would recommend going that route. I remember my R&M was ratting like crazy which drove me nuts.

No need to upgrade the audio on TNA, partly what your paying for in the game. Rattle tape or electrical tape on edges of playfield glass will eliminate most of the rattling, you can also turn the bass down on audio amp a bit to control it.

#1033 1 year ago

Good to hear! Thanks for the info!!

#1034 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Just curious, what's goal on parts for this game? lets say 10 years from now, will everyone be able to buy any part then?. It's a really low production game.

First, we're not going anywhere, however let's travel down a hypothetical rabbit hole. Its not that deep. The game was designed by someone who engineers parts for Pinball Life. That alone is probably more backup than any other game currently in production.

#1035 1 year ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:Correct on all counts except mechs. TNA has more mechs than GZ premium. I’d guess you’d have to go back to the 90’s and one of Lawlor’s 6 pop bumper games to find a game with more mechs than TNA.

I mean if you are counting coils. Sure.
But to say that 2 pop bumpers or 2 drop targets is "more" mechs than the GZ building (or bridge... Or MG platform) is just dumb.

That building mech alone probably costs more than most mecha on TNA together.

#1036 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

You'd be surprised.. The mechs in GZ are custom as opposed to standard mechs in TNA which adds to development costs, but Stern is pretty good at wringing lots of visual effect from minimal hardware. E.G. Metallica and TNA both have three inline drops, but TNA's are individually controlled and more versatile, Metallica's are one coil and limited.

#1037 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

[quoted image]

I consider a mech as an assembly that is controlled by a coil or coils and interacts with the ball. TNA has 3 flippers, 2 scoops, 1 pop bumper, 5 slingshots, 3 controllable drop targets ( 2 coils each) and 2 controllable ball gates. There is a lot more going going on in TNA than people realize. While nothing may jump out as a centerpiece main mech of the game it is all the other mechs and how they are controlled that make this game a unique playing game.
Another thing to consider is the lighting in the game every lamp on the playfield is an individually controlled RGB led which allows TNA to have the best light shows in pinball.

#1038 1 year ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I consider a mech as an assembly that is controlled by a coil or coils and interacts with the ball. TNA has 3 flippers, 2 scoops, 1 pop bumper, 5 slingshots, 3 controllable drop targets ( 2 coils each) and 2 controllable ball gates. There is a lot more going going on in TNA than people realize. While nothing may jump out as a centerpiece main mech of the game it is all the other mechs and how they are controlled that make this game a unique playing game.
Another thing to consider is the lighting in the game every lamp on the playfield is an individually controlled RGB led which allows TNA to have the best light shows in pinball.

Good point. That matrix on the pinball feature page only has a few set features like ramps etc. it doesn’t include thinks like control gates, or in PF timers, or on other games things like up posts, moving buildings etc.

#1039 1 year ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

There's what, three games that do this... WOZ, TNA and R&M? I think Star Trek prem/LE has regular GI. So TNA is actually the cheapest game that offers total RGB lighting.

#1040 1 year ago

It’s more than meets the eye or more than you realize on casual look at the game had the interactive beacon too.

#1041 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I mean if you are counting coils. Sure.
But to say that 2 pop bumpers or 2 drop targets is "more" mechs than the GZ building (or bridge... Or MG platform) is just dumb.

You need to spend some time getting your hands dirty under the hoods of games.

#1042 1 year ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I get it. I see the building, the VUK and the ball lock as 3 features alone. Magna grab, captive ball, mecha godzilla spinner, mechagodzilla magnet, bridge and scoop as well. I think TNA is great, but not as feature rich in mechs is all. Again, it doesn't make it less or more of a game, just s preference thing.

#1043 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Not saying it will happen, but definitely zero protection there because your dealing directly with spooky. Buying TBL and Alien through cointaker, no worries

What happens if Cointaker goes bust?

They’re no more/less likely to go broke as any other company.

rd

#1044 1 year ago

Comparing coils and mechs on pinball reminds me of oldschool nerds fighting over what computer was best, or what console was best. And believe me, I was part of that.

It took me a while to realize I bought what I wanted, and didn't need to make my case to anyone else.

#1045 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

As a street level masterpiece

“Single level” !

Street level were a range of cheaper games made by Gottlieb in 90/91.

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2017/11/16/the-history-of-street-level-pinballs/

One podcaster famously thought that “street level” games were called that because they were flat. Like the street. Ahhh … ok. Lol

rd

#1046 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

You'd be surprised...Stern is pretty good at wringing lots of visual effect from minimal hardware.

Quoted from 27dnast:

You need to spend some time getting your hands dirty under the hoods of games.

you guys are ridiculous. I know you like TNA. I like TNA. I know single bank drop targets and sling shots aren't cheap, but.... come on. This building is nearly 100 parts. It's humungous (elwin for scale). And it has its own node board... Stepper motor and lead screw... But no coil. so i guess we can't count it as a mech!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1047 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

you guys are ridiculous. I know you like TNA. I like TNA. I know single bank drop targets and sling shots aren't cheap, but.... come on. This building is nearly 100 parts. It's humungous (elwin for scale). And it has its own node board... Stepper motor and lead screw... But no coil. so i guess we can't count it as a mech! [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You are correct, the BM66 turntable is also huge and complex.

I do see you have one pin in your collection, but some guys have a dozen or more +++ games. In that case they might already have the Godzilla, DI, Woz, etc.. than they might more appreciate a game like TNA.

#1048 1 year ago

I think you either get this game or you don’t. Kind of pointless trying to justify it to guys counting coils and comparing it to other manufacturers.

Godzilla is an incredible game also - the 2 games can both be great together. TNA is worth its price because it’s a great game. Let’s compare units of greatness instead of coils.

#1049 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I think you either get this game or you don’t. Kind of pointless trying to justify it to guys counting coils and comparing it to other manufacturers.
Godzilla is an incredible game also - the 2 games can both be great together. TNA is worth its price because it’s a great game. Let’s compare units of greatness instead of coils.

Yeah.. All this talk of coils makes me think of Vector.. It's a neat game.. but not sure I would rate it against others for monetary or play value based on the coil count.

TNA is simple mech wise for me.. but those mechs are implemented perfectly, and in constant use.

#1050 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

you guys are ridiculous. I know you like TNA. I like TNA. I know single bank drop targets and sling shots aren't cheap, but.... come on. This building is nearly 100 parts. It's humungous (elwin for scale). And it has its own node board... Stepper motor and lead screw... But no coil. so i guess we can't count it as a mech! [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Never thought Gary would ever approve something like that. Fantastic to see.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Virginia Beach, VA
There are 1,698 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-tna-rerun-are-you-in-or-out/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.