20230328_181118 (resized).jpg
20230328_181545 (resized).jpg
20230328_180833 (resized).jpg
BE05C8C4-31FB-43E8-A5E6-337A1E9E9377 (resized).jpeg
43782B1B-4F63-45E0-AD6A-37180D1CC512 (resized).jpeg
6AEE14D4-84AF-46D6-85B5-0E9FD2BAC017 (resized).jpeg
CF8547BD-6F48-4D7B-AC93-A2BDA5F36D65 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #617 Pricing and differences for each model. Posted by PanzerKraken (1 year ago)

Post #1044 Game distributors Posted by KingPinGames (1 year ago)

Post #1791 Hi-Res playfield images Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #1793 Hi-res Cabinet images Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #2403 Feature matrix Posted by PanzerKraken (1 year ago)

Post #3155 Scooby Doo Machine Number Tracker Posted by monitorpop (1 year ago)

Post #4421 Underside of playfied picture from Spooky's FB page. Posted by bobukcat (1 year ago)

Post #4422 Another underside of the PF from Spooky's FB page. Posted by bobukcat (1 year ago)

Post #4619 Sneak peek gameplay video Posted by CoolCatPinball (1 year ago)

Post #5134 Offical Gameplay Reveal Posted by SpookyBug (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#809 1 year ago

Spooky still offering a "butter cabinet" option?

#905 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

If you think whining about layouts based on your own opinion is being "level-headed" then more power to you...

Whining about (smart) people whining is doesn't add anything to the thread...at least Aurich/Jim have something to say!

My first Spooky game was R&M and despite working through many build issues, it's one of the most entertaining games I've ever owned (and I've owned ~60 over the years). I got "burned" on UMCE...game code took much too long to converge and I decided to sell at a loss. My bad, not Spooky's.

This Scooby license/theme does nothing for me personally, however for folks that love the theme, looks like it received a lot of love from both Spooky and the character actors agreeing to work on the project. When it comes to passion/value/cost, Spooky is very competitive. I was smitten for Bond as a theme, and Stern's rollout and game really underwhelms. At this juncture, Scooby Doo looks way more interesting than Bond to me (despite apathy about the kiddy TV series). Not really interested in being an early adopter this go round, but might think of picking one up when gameplay video emerges.

#1620 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

It does solve a *lot* of issues putting all your LEDs on a panel. Fast, cheap, *and* easy for manufacture/assembly. Plus it reduces the number of connectors that the 5V power has to pass through, reducing voltage sag on long strings of LEDs. The one downside I think people might point out is that if an LED dies, the whole panel needs to be replaced. If that happens, 1) if you are comfortable with surface mount soldering, you can actually pretty easily just swap the bad LED out, or 2) these boards are cheap enough, just call us up and we'll probably just send you a replacement for free.
That being said, the LEDs are quite robust; the chances of one burning out are pretty low.

The boards/LED's are much preferred! Wish R&M had this tech...the number of connectors is insane and keeping them all plugged in is a bit of a maintenance issue (to get full fidelity from the lights). When they are loose, they just don't have the proper colors (but still light).

#2480 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I'm old enough to remember when options on new cars were ala carte: you could pick and choose what you wanted when ordering. This caused problems when the "take rate" for various options was drastically different from what the manufacturers anticipated. For example: with the debut of the retro-styled Mustang in 2005, Ford added an option called MyColor which allowed the driver to set red/green/blue levels and change the color displayed on the instrument cluster. Ford forecast and ordered parts for a 15% take rate (thinking 15% of customers would want it), but it was new and "cool" and more than 80% ordered it. Ford had to contact buyers and make them choose between dropping the MyColor option and getting their cars promptly, or keeping the option and waiting several more months for the additional parts that had to be ordered. Individual options are logistics problems for manufacturers to forecast, so now equipment packages have replaced individual options on automobiles.
If you look back, Spooky offered several individual options (such as target decals) on previous games besides the butter cabinet. It looks like Spooky has learned the same lesson the automakers did, and is making those things only available in the Scooby-Doo CE (effectively an equipment package) and not optional on other Scooby-Doo versions. This will make individual parts ordering much easier for Spooky. Offering a non-glare glass option would just complicate parts logistics when Spooky is trying to simplify it. It seems like the only things a buyer will get to choose when their game nears production is if they want a butter cabinet and if they want to pick up their game or have it shipped.

Never owned a Ford, but Corvettes still have a fair number of options (and Chevy is able to build ~1000 per week with incredible fit-and-finish!).

Considering well over 90% of the Spooky Run will likely be CE's, they could simplify even more and just build one model (like the good 'ole days). Keeping the other models around for folks on a tight budget is a nice gesture, but if the % of takers is small enough, it just doesn't make much business sense. In any event, I prefer Spooky's "let the customer decide" approach much more than Stern's and JJP's fixed number of LE's/CE's.

#2493 1 year ago
Quoted from brerspidur:

I have a 2021, and it's very common in the order process that when your order comes up ,many (even more post covid) options are not available (on constraint) and you either get skipped in the list, or you forego said option. It really throws a snag in the ordering process, I can see the benefit of just streamlining and limiting options

Mine is a 2021 and I didn't hit any snags...guess I got lucky. No doubt it complicates the manufacturers life, but it's nice that Chevy allows for customization and different price points (unlike Acura with the NSX starting @~150k and coming close to 200k with a few options and tax).

#2556 1 year ago

Funny how life works sometimes. Both Toy Story and Bond are dream themes for me and neither game really looks fun/fresh to me.

OTOH, I have almost no interest in the Scooby Doo theme yet this game looks compelling. Hope the build quality and software live up to the hype...if they do, I hope to pick one up down the road (no FOMO here. At the moment, I only own Rick and Morty, and love the adult humor and theme integration...fast shooting, tough playing game! Happy for folks that love the Scooby theme...wishing Spooky the best.

#2640 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno how many rows of pins you have to pick the "cabinet art end pieces" for, but each row only gets two.

Not necessarily I recently gave my games a bit more space and really enjoy seeing more of the art...

IMG_2093 (resized).jpegIMG_2093 (resized).jpeg
#2675 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Their hardware is so cheap it is unbelievable.
Still can't get over them removing things like the Jump-Up Ramp in LZ. There couldn't be much in savings involved there as there are no mechs involved, just the ramp and maybe 4-5" of habitrail.
But they pulled the most interesting shot in the game out of the Pro for almost no BOM savings. Insane.

And it took many YEARS of complaining about the playfield pegs on the Pro until Stern eventually caved and included rails. It happened right after Aerosmith IIRC. The pegs made it impossible to work on the flippers, which often needed some love care to dial-in.

#2753 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I LMAO at the guys that chime in with “have they sold out yet” or “I put 30 in the buy it now order and I can’t believe there are that many left”.
Way too many FOMO’s still hoping to validate their purchase with a “sellout”.

Yep...kind of cringy that people need validation. With Spooky's customer friendly sales model (i.e. no fixed number of CE's) and fairly large build number, it won't be hard to get one of these down the road!

#3547 1 year ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

I disconnected the sub in my R&M and hooked up an external sub to the stock amp and it made a huge difference for that game. The back box speakers are good, but could be better if you wanted wanted to swap them. I don’t know what kind of filtering they have for those speakers, but there’s one part of R&M that distorts the mids cause lows are to low on what I assume is a band pass filter.
The audio itself seems to be top notch on those titles, can speak for other spooky games as those are the only two I’ve owned.

The stock audio components on my R&M are top notch, but needed plenty of dialing in (amp adjustments, ring to get the 10" woofer elevated, anti-rumble tape for the glass, etc.). The backbox speakers sound awesome...I don't notice any distortion, but I can't say I crank it that much. I can say that the overall sound on my R&M is very competitive with the PinWoofer system I have on most of my Sterns (which is saying a lot!).

IMG_2140 (resized).jpegIMG_2140 (resized).jpeg
#3713 1 year ago
Quoted from BKPitmaster:

Upper/under playfields. Love them or hate them? I personally enjoy the variety of having that in a game in my home arcade for the variety but wouldn’t want the majority of my games to have that. I like the upper in BKSOR. I like the lower in ACDC/Muensters. I still think Scooby Doo will flow fine with the fan layout. Thoughts?

After owning 60+ pins over the years, the only upper PF that's still in my collection is WH20...fits so well with the theme and flows well with the shots/rules.

I love my AC/DC Premium and still play it often, but avoid the lower PF...doesn't do anything for me.

Overall I find upper/lower PF's gimmicky and not-so-fun.

#3717 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I feel the gimmick is the point. Some are funner than others. I personally like the variation of the AC/DC lower pf. I think they probably could have done more with it, but it is what it is. My favorites are Haunted House and Black Hole though. I love the upper pf in TZ as well. There's only so much variation you can do with a pinball layout, and most of it has been rehashed. I wonder if people thought the first ramps were gimmicky. (not sarcastically)

I agree that TZ's upper PF was cool/innovative. Ramps are gimmicky...totally unnecessary...nevertheless, they seem to have caught on more than upper/lower PF's, so the designers/players have spoken...

1 month later
#5635 1 year ago
Quoted from brerspidur:

Not mad, but still genuinely interested (for future consideration) in how you ended up with a number in the 30s (VIP is typically 1-50) You mentioned ordering direct from spooky, did you order exactly when orders opened? wondering how you ended up 20+ spots further up that some others that got our orders in within seconds of the site opening. .

Seems like you answered your question...BallyKISS1978 is a VIP and you are not! I was UMCE #10...a VIP for that title. The VIP heuristic Spooky uses is proprietary and changes from game to game One day it's possible you become a VIP, but owning a GNR is definitely not going to help your cause!

1 week later
#5951 1 year ago
Quoted from jakedistel:

Have never owned a butter cab but I can share that the decal art on Halloween (which I do own) and other Spookys I have played elsewhere is amazing and very well done. I'm certain it looks amazing but not certain if it is worth it at the end of the day for me personally. AS many have shared it is difficult/impossible to repair (although I imagine for hardy) and you, frankly, don't really pay much attention to the cabinet art once you have enjoyed it for a few days. Home guests/patrons will ooh and ahh the first few times but then its all about the game play. AND on Scooby I am looking forward to AMAZING game play. Spooky has this. Honestly you can't go wrong with either if you have the extra cash but going to save those dollars for some extra decor/reno in the game room. Haha.

I have R&M with butter - the artwork "pop" and the sheen from the clear coat is amazing. Considering what folks spend on mods/toppers/etc., I think butter is worth it when you LOVE the license and artwork. It also adds to the rarity and collectibility.

IMG_2092 (resized).jpegIMG_2092 (resized).jpegIMG_2093 (resized).jpegIMG_2093 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinbald Mods

Playfield - Other
Severedmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Northport, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Concord, NC
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Mooshue's Market

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 9,769.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-scooby-doo-hype-thread?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.