20230328_181118 (resized).jpg
20230328_181545 (resized).jpg
20230328_180833 (resized).jpg
BE05C8C4-31FB-43E8-A5E6-337A1E9E9377 (resized).jpeg
43782B1B-4F63-45E0-AD6A-37180D1CC512 (resized).jpeg
6AEE14D4-84AF-46D6-85B5-0E9FD2BAC017 (resized).jpeg
CF8547BD-6F48-4D7B-AC93-A2BDA5F36D65 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #617 Pricing and differences for each model. Posted by PanzerKraken (1 year ago)

Post #1044 Game distributors Posted by KingPinGames (1 year ago)

Post #1791 Hi-Res playfield images Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #1793 Hi-res Cabinet images Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #2403 Feature matrix Posted by PanzerKraken (1 year ago)

Post #3155 Scooby Doo Machine Number Tracker Posted by monitorpop (1 year ago)

Post #4421 Underside of playfied picture from Spooky's FB page. Posted by bobukcat (1 year ago)

Post #4422 Another underside of the PF from Spooky's FB page. Posted by bobukcat (1 year ago)

Post #4619 Sneak peek gameplay video Posted by CoolCatPinball (1 year ago)

Post #5134 Offical Gameplay Reveal Posted by SpookyBug (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4671 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Have many of you Spooky owners experienced a lack of quality with other Spooky machines. I am/was interested in possibly getting my first Spooky, but people have been steering me away. They say the games usually have a high rate of breaking down, not working out of the box, etc. is this true? My buddy had a Halloween and said it was the worst game he ever owned and sold it at huge loss. I know it is pinball and things will eventually break, but I at least want to get a few plays in before all holy hell breaks loose. I have/had a Rush Premium. Great game, but there is a major design flaw that fries the node 10 board. I went through three and waited awhile for Stern to address this issue. Got tired of waiting and sold it for a big loss. Ya, I could have waited but got sick of the cut and paste replies from support. Anyhow.... should I wade into the Spooky waters?

R&M Standard was my first/only NIB purchase. As one of the last machines built, most of the typical design/assembly growing pains and kinks had been worked out. So with that frame of reference:

- I have never once felt a lack of quality, or general indifference, in terms of the overall design and assembly intent. The cabinet is solid, the playfield is one of the best you can get, the mechs are generally proven standard components, and the fit-and-finish and overall assembly was on point: nothing was loose or broken, everything lined up right, etc. Played 100% perfect right out of the box (er, van, since I picked it up at Spooky and it was out of the box by request but, whatever). And going on 2 years later and a couple thousand plays (though not so many in recent months as I've been beyond busy and stressed), I've never had a game-breaking issue.

- My main challenges were those endemic to the design of R&M as a game, i.e. dialing in shots and rails and ramps and other fiddly adjustments to make it shoot "smooth". This is a highly subjective point, as R&M was specifically designed to be a brutal ass-kicker, which is why it's so controversial. It's hard to know the difference between "Play Betterrr!!!" and "POS brickfest game!" sometimes. Every copy is different, every player has their own tastes... but there was lots of feedback and advice in the owner's thread to find a happy consistent medium.

- HOWEVER, there are indeed things that were irksome. The stock habitrail was a flimsy and inconsistent (but functional, technically) design. The ship's wobble effect hinge was stupidly made of rigid plastic perfectly tailor made to break at some point. The questionable change to single-wound flipper coils caused lots of performance issues which took a while to get sorted out with code (which Eric eventually did admirably). The stock power supply fan gave aircraft turbines a run for the decibel record. Spooky's apparent investment in hot glue stocks means connectors can be wonky. The manual is woefully incomplete, and the game's motheroards are PC commodity class and can be problematic, so pity those who are trying to work on this game in 10-20 years.

- Perhaps worst of all, they opted to use a thinner playfield but didn't realize use of standard-size (now too-tall) flipper bushings would muck up the flippers and shots... it took a long while again for them to catch this oversight and get special reduced-height bushings made, which made a HUGE improvement in the feel of the game. They provided the revised parts for free. But man, that kind of rookie mistake / unforced error, on the most foundational aspect of a pinball game, is truly kind of baffling.

All that said, would I buy a Spooky again? Would I recommend them to anyone else? Resounding YES on both. While some of the problems and issues are frankly silly and stupid, I've been around manufacturing and R&D enough to understand how such things can happen - we're only human after all. And the vast majority of games from today all the way back to WMS / BLY and GTB days, all had some sort of service bulletins, revised parts, and/or other annoying service issues or design flaws of one kind or another. I'm sure there are a few lemon Spooky games out there but again, so too for almost any other title.

In the end what comes through is Spooky's passion for pinball, willingness to own mistakes and improve, and commitment to customers. From my own experience and observation, anyway. Others may differ.

But I'm a Spooky fan for life... and if I was made of bank I'd be lined up for SD for sure!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

Playfield - Other
Severedmods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Northport, NY
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Mooshue's Market

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinbald Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,769.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rogers, AR

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-scooby-doo-hype-thread?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.