20230328_181118 (resized).jpg
20230328_181545 (resized).jpg
20230328_180833 (resized).jpg
BE05C8C4-31FB-43E8-A5E6-337A1E9E9377 (resized).jpeg
43782B1B-4F63-45E0-AD6A-37180D1CC512 (resized).jpeg
6AEE14D4-84AF-46D6-85B5-0E9FD2BAC017 (resized).jpeg
CF8547BD-6F48-4D7B-AC93-A2BDA5F36D65 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 130.
#3551 1 year ago

I think if anyone in Ohio wants to come play scooby when I get it to see if they like it, I’d be okay with that.

Completely unrelated question… Does anyone know the highest dollar amount per play I can set for Spooky Pins? I think Stern is like $20.

#3552 1 year ago
Quoted from Fbutts5575:

Anyone gotten their pinballstar game numbers?
They posted we would get them Thursday afternoon or Friday.
Really wish Spooky knew how to have a website that work. Would have much rather ordered direct through them.

Quoted from frankmac:

Joe will be back Tuesday.

Might actually be an accurate statement.....

#3553 1 year ago
Quoted from Fbutts5575:

Anyone gotten their pinballstar game numbers?
They posted we would get them Thursday afternoon or Friday.
Really wish Spooky knew how to have a website that work. Would have much rather ordered direct through them.

Can you explain this a little more? As a distributor I often have to wonder why people order direct vs a distributor?

Myths about ordering direct

"I will get a lower game number if I order direct" - not necessarily. For example. I have 5 games in the sub 50's, then collector editions x16-x25 for the 100's-600's

"I will get better tech support if I need it if I order direct" - completely wrong. You get the same level of service from spooky regardless if you order direct or buy it from someone that bought it from someone, that bought it from spooky. In fact, buying from a distributor gives you an additional level of support as (most of us) are either technically trained or have a tech department to help in the rare case you will need it.

"I will save money by buying direct" - nope, costs are the same regardless of where you buy it unless your distributor marked the price up.

I have nothing against people ordering direct, I am just curious on the above statement about wanting to.

#3554 1 year ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Can you explain this a little more? As a distributor I often have to wonder why people order direct vs a distributor?

Looking at the hype thread where folks won't get games for at least 2 months and they are upset that they don't have their number yet. Some folks are just more Veruca than others.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
#3555 1 year ago
Quoted from newovad:

Looking at the hype thread where folks won't get games for at least 2 months and they are upset that they don't have their number yet. Some folks are just more Veruca than others.
[quoted image]

I don’t see anyone here that is upset or entitled about this. Just people asking if anyone else got their number from a distributor that posted in this forum that they would have numbers emailed out by yesterday… but it doesn’t appear that happened. Seems reasonable to check here to be sure they didn’t miss an email when the distributor asked that customers don’t contact just to ask for their number. Also seems reasonable to me that people in a hype thread would be hyped to learn if they will be waiting a couple months or several.

#3556 1 year ago

This weekend my plan is to get my 7 year old daughter on board the Scooby Doo hype train. We are going to watch the original series on HBO. She has only seen the newest versions so I think this will be fun.

#3557 1 year ago

"I will get a lower game number if I order direct" - not necessarily. For example. I have 5 games in the sub 50's, then collector editions x16-x25 for the 100's-600's
"I will get better tech support if I need it if I order direct" - completely wrong. You get the same level of service from spooky regardless if you order direct or buy it from someone that bought it from someone, that bought it from spooky. In fact, buying from a distributor gives you an additional level of support as (most of us) are either technically trained or have a tech department to help in the rare case you will need it.
"I will save money by buying direct" - nope, costs are the same regardless of where you buy it unless your distributor marked the price up.
I have nothing against people ordering direct, I am just curious on the above statement about wanting to.

Some perspective from a person fairly new to the scene, bought my first a year ago...

It’s as simple as not having a relationship with a distributor and making call after call on a couple of releases now, specifically Rush and Toy Story, just to give up and order direct because everyone’s list is of people waiting is too long.

Maybe things are different because this is a Spooky release but this time I just ordered direct and did not even bother making calls…

#3558 1 year ago

Just felt like sharing these again.
Butter me up

3E20F69B-C90D-4CFA-9EB5-EA0379E8B447 (resized).jpeg3E20F69B-C90D-4CFA-9EB5-EA0379E8B447 (resized).jpeg3E25899F-3FC9-4F36-A03F-83293990EA8B (resized).jpeg3E25899F-3FC9-4F36-A03F-83293990EA8B (resized).jpeg
#3559 1 year ago

I was not that interested until I saw it was a wide body and the look of it thin showed the wife and she was all in I am excited for my first Spooky. It looks so good.

#3560 1 year ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

I was not that interested until I saw it was a wide body and the look of it thin showed the wife and she was all in I am excited for my first Spooky. It looks so good.

It’s a gorgeous game. Halloween was our first Spooky and very happy with it. Grail theme for me. Fan since the early 70’s.

#3561 1 year ago
Quoted from Padrino:

Some perspective from a person fairly new to the scene, bought my first a year ago...
It’s as simple as not having a relationship with a distributor and making call after call on a couple of releases now, specifically Rush and Toy Story, just to give up and order direct because everyone’s list is of people waiting is too long.
Maybe things are different because this is a Spooky release but this time I just ordered direct and did not even bother making calls…

thank you for your perspective.

#3562 1 year ago

Because in theory it's a pretty simple situation; ordering starts @ 10am I'll order and be done by 10:04.
Of course ordering direct from Spooky is nothing like this and I would never order direct from them again.

People also probably assume your early slots are taken up by established costumers.

#3563 1 year ago

Regarding distributers, I think to those of us who do not order a ton of NIB, Distributers are basically just webstores. Whoever has the lowest prices regarding taxes / fees / shipping and allows me to place an order wins.

#3564 1 year ago

Art is great, no doubt about that. Not a fan of huge upper PF so I will be passing on this one. Not sure why so many are spending so much time about ppl losing money or making money. This hobby is not the stock market. You buy a pin you like, you play the pin and keep it untill you no longer want it. Then you sell the pin at the current market price which we all know can fluctuate. I never bought a pin telling myself "I will be able to make money when I sell this". I made the purchase because I wanted it and it looked fun to play or I played it and want it. If your buying pins up to FLIP then thats on you. They can go scratch IMO.

#3565 1 year ago

I like buying direct because I like as much of my money going directly to the people who actually make the product and not to a middle man who in this case literally doesn’t do anything if I get my game directly shipped from spooky which would also be my preference.

#3566 1 year ago

Found this ornament
Hallmark 2018
I'm going to put it near the blue rail exciting the upper playfield. It seems perfectly on theme as a way for Scooby to escape Capitan Cutler / leave the upper playfield

Right half of picture is too give some scale

IMG_20221217_135603 (resized).jpgIMG_20221217_135603 (resized).jpg
#3567 1 year ago
Quoted from The-Hum:

Found this ornament
Hallmark 2018
I'm going to put it near the blue rail exciting the upper playfield. It seems perfectly on theme as a way for Scooby to escape Capitan Cutler / leave the upper playfield
Right half of picture is too give some scale[quoted image]

I am getting one of those. Good find

#3568 1 year ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Art is great, no doubt about that. Not a fan of huge upper PF so I will be passing on this one. Not sure why so many are spending so much time about ppl losing money or making money. This hobby is not the stock market. You buy a pin you like, you play the pin and keep it untill you no longer want it. Then you sell the pin at the current market price which we all know can fluctuate. I never bought a pin telling myself "I will be able to make money when I sell this". I made the purchase because I wanted it and it looked fun to play or I played it and want it. If your buying pins up to FLIP then thats on you. They can go scratch IMO.

Every thing I buy I try and evaluate how it will effect my finances. I really wish one day I had so much disposable income it wouldn’t matter if I bought a 10,000 dollar toys.

Honestly if pinball machines cost 10k and after 10 years they were worth zero I would not own 1 machine period. I don’t have the money or mental capacity to take that kind of loss over and over again. I am super happy for you and the others on pinside that can afford such losses on toys and hopefully I get there someday.

Oh and I have a wife so loosing 10k a machine. Nope

Congrats to you and flip on brotha!!!

#3569 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I like buying direct because I like as much of my money going directly to the people who actually make the product and not to a middle man who in this case literally doesn’t do anything if I get my game directly shipped from spooky which would also be my preference.

Everyone is entitled to do what they want. I see more value in building a relationship with a distributor that sells machines from all the manufactures. My distro does actually do stuff outside of just selling us the machine. In the real world outside of pinball this model of business selling through distributors is proven and successful. IMO

#3570 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

People also probably assume your early slots are taken up by established costumers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

#3571 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Because in theory it's a pretty simple situation; ordering starts @ 10am I'll order and be done by 10:04.
Of course ordering direct from Spooky is nothing like this and I would never order direct from them again.

yeah, this is definitely a fair point.

I appreciate everyone's responses. I don't begrudge anyone from ordering directly, i am just always looking to ways to "do better by the customer." I was a spooky customer long before i was a distributor for them.

#3572 1 year ago

I think the part of this hobby that is the most questionable is what does a distro actually do in the digital transaction age? I've done both direct and through distros, and in both situations I dealt with the manufacturers not the distros when something was needed. We don't like to make car comparisons, but in most products that are not cars, you get replacements if your purchase is broken or a lemon. That isn't the case with pinball. What I've heard is that distros can help with getting issues resolved, but I don't necessarily think that is the case these days. The customers have little leverage anymore because the companies keep selling out. This also means the distros have little leverage because they don't actually 'need' your business, they have others lined up waiting and they aren't sitting on stock for months for almost anything.

I'm sure there are scenarios where they shine, don't get me wrong, I just think that their involvement is more heavily around operators than home owners and I'm not sure the transition to service to the homeowner is as apparent as it is to operators because business has changed over the decades, and unless you are one of their old buddies that's been ordering from them non stop forever, you aren't getting too much special treatment.

#3573 1 year ago

Well Zablon I think the infamous "Costumer Service" probably means more than ever with so many new people in the hobby. I guess if you had a lemon or a disintegrating PF that's a diff'rent issue; but 99.8% of the time I dont need hell with anything.

#3574 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think the part of this hobby that is the most questionable is what does a distro actually do in the digital transaction age? I've done both direct and through distros, and in both situations I dealt with the manufacturers not the distros when something was needed. We don't like to make car comparisons, but in most products that are not cars, you get replacements if your purchase is broken or a lemon. That isn't the case with pinball. What I've heard is that distros can help with getting issues resolved, but I don't necessarily think that is the case these days. The customers have little leverage anymore because the companies keep selling out. This also means the distros have little leverage because they don't actually 'need' your business, they have others lined up waiting and they aren't sitting on stock for months for almost anything.
I'm sure there are scenarios where they shine, don't get me wrong, I just think that their involvement is more heavily around operators than home owners and I'm not sure the transition to service to the homeowner is as apparent as it is to operators because business has changed over the decades.

-Email stern about a problem you're having trouble solving while you are still under warranty…
-Then email Greg at FlipnOut about the issue on a machine you bought from them.

Let me know which gets back with you first. (Hah, if at all.)

#3575 1 year ago

It’s two things for me. First is in 2022 I buy everything on a credit card. It’s easier, faster, and I get cash back. If I had to mail a check it takes time out of my day and I lose $200 in cash back on a purchase this size. The second thing was I knew that the earlier I ordered direct, the earlier I got a game. When I spoke to a distro prior to launch they said they’ll sort out numbers later. Could be 50, could be 1600. I need more certainty for that.

Those were the two reasons I went direct despite knowing the online shop would crash.

#3576 1 year ago
Quoted from Purdue:

-Email stern about a problem you're having trouble solving while you are still under warranty…
-Then email Greg at FlipnOut about the issue on a machine you bought from them.
Let me know which gets back with you first. (Hah, if at all.)

Sounds like a Stern issue. I don't buy NiB Sterns. I have to play them first and they are generally widely available. I do however get your point.

#3577 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think the part of this hobby that is the most questionable is what does a distro actually do in the digital transaction age?

Depends on the manufacturer. Stern has very limited direct sales so you need to deal with a distro in most cases. With Spooky, I don't see a point in dealing with distros because they have a dedicated direct sales operation.

#3578 1 year ago
Quoted from The-Hum:

Found this ornament
Hallmark 2018
Right half of picture is too give some scale[quoted image]

Thanks for the scale picture. My daughter was looking to buy me something for Christmas - and she just got it.

#3579 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Distributors provide a valuable service to both the customers and the manufacturers, and saying they do nothing is quite insulting to the majority of them.

#3580 1 year ago

My distro Jason at classic got me a new playfield. JJP would give me one so I went through Jason and he sent me one.

#3581 1 year ago

Not being able to use a credit card without a fee is rough. As a consumer, you lose the protections afforded to you if something were to go wrong. Most give cash back and it's just easier.

I totally get why a small business has to charge a credit card fee. The margins on a niche hobby like pinball that doesn't move a lot of units is hard to just swallow those fees and charge MSRP as a distributor. Unfortunately, it's part of the equation. Good distributors like yourself looking for ways to add value make it easier to justify.

#3582 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Every thing I buy I try and evaluate how it will effect my finances. I really wish one day I had so much disposable income it wouldn’t matter if I bought a 10,000 dollar toys.

Yet you have EHOH 40th? I’m confused by your repetitive posts in this thread.

#3583 1 year ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Yet you have EHOH 40th? I’m confused by your repetitive posts in this thread.

I’m trying to figure out the best time to pounce on the dog!!

I do have a 40th still NIB any interest in it?

#3584 1 year ago
Quoted from Padrino:

I agree, Trying to get a LE or CE is a pain also. The distros sell to the people who buy a lot of games or the distros hold back and sell for more. Toy Story is a great example.No one had any available when I tried to find one. Then when it turned out to be a dud, distros like Automated (Who holds Inventory for a few years to sell for more) all of a sudden have them available. Kingpin is a great distributor, and if anyone asks me whom to go to you are one of my first suggestions. But if you don't need it delivered and set up, or if you want a CE or LE it's better to go direct and take your chance of getting one online over putting your name on a list that means nothing if you don't buy every game from them. Scooby could have sold out in the first hour, or as we know now, a month from now. If you can get one direct and know you got one, then why go on a list a wait to see if a distro has any available. I do remember when the Batman 66 LE came out Trent (Tilt Amusements) did a lottery with all the people on his waitlist to try and give all the interested people a shot at getting one. I couldn't afford one at the time, but I thought it was a cool way to tell his customers that all of them were important and had a chance.
Bottom line I would like to see Manufactures only sell the CE"s or LE's direct and try to control only one per person. If Stern or JJP wants goodwill with Distros then when they sell a game direct the buyer names their distro, and the distro can be the middleman at delivery and make some money also.

#3585 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Why are you worried about what other people do with their money? Or, do you think Spooky is somehow being devious and tricking people into doing something that they shouldn’t…IMO Spooky has always been above and beyond honest and always for the good of the customer.

I guess I was asking if he is worried in both direction for them or just a one way street. I general have empathy for people and total strangers, so yes I worry about them many times when it would be best if I did not, one of my many weaknesses my apologies.

I honestly think Spooky was a disingenuous by saying distros have more names on list then games available to churn up the FOMO hype before launch day. I read into that and my BS meter pegged out, it appears to be accurate as well.

When I get home from Vacation I will be unboxing my Halloween and can't wait to make the Scooby Doo purchase, at the right time I hope. I enjoy the buying game and am learning everyday

#3586 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I honestly think Spooky was a disingenuous by saying distros have more names on list then games available to churn up the FOMO hype before launch day.

Lots of people like me I suspect. I got on an interested list but didn’t pull the trigger because I want to see more and have some reservations (pun intended) about gameplay. Could be that interested lists were full pre-sales day but when it came time to put up the cash lots decided to wait, which would explain Spooky’s statement (which I never saw, but taking your word for it).

#3587 1 year ago
Quoted from Pugster:

Lots of people like me I suspect. I got on an interested list but didn’t pull the trigger because I want to see more and have some reservations (pun intended) about gameplay. Could be that interested lists were full pre-sales day but when it came time to put up the cash lots decided to wait, which would explain Spooky’s statement (which I never saw, but taking your word for it).

You could be 100% correct, "maybe so" as my dad would say.

#3588 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I do have a 40th still NIB any interest in it?

Nope. You missed the boat on that one. Also, just because someone spends their money frivolously or without considering the financial ramifications, doesn't mean they have more disposable income than you. I can 100% guarantee that.

#3589 1 year ago
Quoted from Danzig:

Distributors provide a valuable service to both the customers and the manufacturers, and saying they do nothing is quite insulting to the majority of them.

I didn’t mean to imply that they never do anything. I have a local distributor that I like quite a lot! But in cases like this where a game is coming fresh off the line to my house a distributor does little to nothing. I was simply answering the question asked earlier of, “why do people buy direct?”

I’d rather spooky make more in cases like this.

#3590 1 year ago
Quoted from Pugster:

Lots of people like me I suspect. I got on an interested list but didn’t pull the trigger because I want to see more and have some reservations (pun intended) about gameplay.

That’s me too. I don’t need a full Twitch reveal stream. I just need to see the whole package and how it works as a game. I have no problem being later in line because of it.

#3591 1 year ago

No date yet for the stream?

#3592 1 year ago

I think you are looking for the reasonable, informed buyer thread....this is the shut up and take my money HYYYYYPPEEEE thread. Chugga CHUGGA choooo CHOOO!

Quoted from newovad:

That’s me too. I don’t need a full Twitch reveal stream. I just need to see the whole package and how it works as a game. I have no problem being later in line because of it.

#3593 1 year ago

I'm excited about this game. I used to watch the show as a kid all the time. Spooky space kook is one of my favorite villains, im hoping someone makes a led animated Sculpt of him to put in the game.

tumblr_a521a40459ac5c1cb3ce9f16db640f1a_ec90a056_1280 (resized).jpgtumblr_a521a40459ac5c1cb3ce9f16db640f1a_ec90a056_1280 (resized).jpg

#3594 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob-T-800:

I'm excited about this game. I used to watch the show as a kid all the time. Spooky space kook is one of my favorite villains, im hoping someone makes a led animated Sculpt of him to put in the game.
[quoted image]

Hopefully they put the crazy “Space Kook” sound in the game…somehow somewhere.

#3595 1 year ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Hopefully they put the crazy “Space Kook” sound in the game…somehow somewhere.

I'm sure it's there when he is the villain

#3596 1 year ago

as much scooby as i watched as a kid, i don't remember that villain at all. I only remember some old guys in mansions.

#3597 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

as much scooby as i watched as a kid, i don't remember that villain at all. I only remember some old guys in mansions.

If you don’t have HBO Max, there are four, five minute videos to complete the episode on YouTube. Top to bottom, 1-4.

#3598 1 year ago

I love the idea of modes playing out like episodes, working your way through the mystery until you unmask the villain. That's the kind of code I enjoy, I don't care as much about scoring points as I do completing missions. Based on what the guys have said it seems like this might be their approach. I hope it is because that sounds like it could be really fun with all the audio/video from the show.

#3599 1 year ago
Quoted from reffob:

I love the idea of modes playing out like episodes, working your way through the mystery until you unmask the villain. That's the kind of code I enjoy, I don't care as much about scoring points as I do completing missions. Based on what the guys have said it seems like this might be their approach. I hope it is because that sounds like it could be really fun with all the audio/video from the show.

^^^^ 100% this ^^^^

#3600 1 year ago

That’s fun, but you also need the scoring so you can create multiple scoring strategies and keep you coming back or else the experience is the same every time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Other
Severedmods

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinbald Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,769.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rogers, AR
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Mooshue's Market

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 130.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-scooby-doo-hype-thread/page/72?hl=crumbalimb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.