20230328_181118 (resized).jpg
20230328_181545 (resized).jpg
20230328_180833 (resized).jpg
BE05C8C4-31FB-43E8-A5E6-337A1E9E9377 (resized).jpeg
43782B1B-4F63-45E0-AD6A-37180D1CC512 (resized).jpeg
6AEE14D4-84AF-46D6-85B5-0E9FD2BAC017 (resized).jpeg
CF8547BD-6F48-4D7B-AC93-A2BDA5F36D65 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 130.
#2701 1 year ago

This is a really out of left field question, but would it be possible for someone to decompile the code and rewrite/fix the issues that a Spooky game may bring? Not saying it's our responsibility as the consumer, but could it be done?

#2702 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

haha... one thing is for sure, whatever the numbers are for SD....have to be more than HWN/Ultraman when you factor in there were SOOOO many flippers buying games.

That’s why I don’t get the whining about non refundable deposits. Firstly it weeds out the flippers. Secondly it stops every Tim Dick and Harry ordering due to FOMO, then bailing at the first hint of a negative Podcast.

By eliminating flippers and FOMOers, those that are super keen on the theme get in early, the rest have time to decide. Win win and exactly what we’re seeing now with Scooby.

#2703 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

That’s why I don’t get the whining about non refundable deposits. Firstly it weeds out the flippers. Secondly it stops every Tim Dick and Harry ordering due to FOMO, then bailing at the first hint of a negative Podcast.
By eliminating flippers and FOMOers, those that are super keen on the theme get in early, the rest have time to decide. Win win and exactly what we’re seeing now with Scooby.

Definitely don’t mind if he deposit. Agree with what you said. My wife wanted Halloween we got it, and the same for Scooby.

#2704 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

They were expecting R&M money right out of the gate

People were expecting R&M code and gameplay quality. That was obviously not the case after about 6 months of updates.

#2705 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Spooky, you seriously need to stop worrying about the next game and focusing on finishing the last one (code wise) first. We deserve better.

We do not deserve better because we continue buying non-refundable pre orders.

#2706 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Doesn’t keep the production line rolling though. It’s a hungry beast that needs feeding constantly.

Quality code updates are vital to building a loyal customer base.

Quoted from cooked71:

Secondly it stops every Tim Dick and Harry ordering due to FOMO

This makes no sense. Putting a 2k non refundable deposit on a game where there was no real gameplay stream is the definition of FOMO.

#2707 1 year ago

AF1700EE-7026-44F3-8943-C922004D0D14 (resized).jpegAF1700EE-7026-44F3-8943-C922004D0D14 (resized).jpeg

Source: https://www.wallstreetmojo.com/caveat-emptor/

#2708 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Putting a 2k non refundable deposit on a game where there was no real gameplay stream is the definition of FOMO.

Putting a 2k non refundable deposit means you’re super keep on the theme. Did you read the post?

Quoted from Palmer:

Quality code updates are vital to building a loyal customer base.

Of course, but a manufacturer cant fire 50 staff and shut down a production line while they finish coding a game.

#2709 1 year ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

spot lights looks blah to me, i hope one of you modders comes up with something cool, like some kinda marine style lamp for the upper PF, and old english style spooky lanterns for the lower ones.

That's a fantastic idea. Old lanterns with flame leds in them. That would look awesome. Also... I agree...marine lantern... And If you could emulate a water effect on the upper playfield that would be awesome!

#2710 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

This is a really out of left field question, but would it be possible for someone to decompile the code and rewrite/fix the issues that a Spooky game may bring? Not saying it's our responsibility as the consumer, but could it be done?

Possibly, sure. It should be easier with Spooky games than others. I think they've said the game code is written using C# with the Unity engine. C# is compiled to an intermediate language that is more easily decompiled to something easily readable than C, C++ is.

However they could have it obfuscated, could also be relying on some sort of code signing so that unauthorized code cannot run on their platform, so not sure how probable.

#2711 1 year ago

Definitely not what you should be thinking. Contact support and provide info on the bugs. Tell them how to reproduce them if possible and include a log if possible. The programmer will fix the bugs. Any programmer that loves what he/she does would be interested in fixing issues so people can enjoy the game.

Quoted from nicoga3000:

#2712 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Definitely not what you should be thinking. Contact support and provide info on the bugs

Exactly. Matt has provided his personal email in the HW thread - if anyone sees any bugs, just let him know! Send him an email!
He will sort it out.

PS - he has a machine on hand … Even airfreighted pinball machines take some days to get to the other side of the world.

Scooby code - the programmer DJ has already said, the code will be at 1.0 when the game ships. They’ve been working on it for ages.

I know for some, “reading is hard” - but the guy said it here in this thread.

Quoted from spooky_dj:

However we are on track to ship the game with a fun, packed ruleset; basically everything on the rules card implemented, except wizard modes and character specific modes (which will be added in the early updates). And there's really more beyond just what's on the rules card (a more detailed rules flowchart will be coming).

rd

#2713 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I was seriously considering SD. However, after the new Halloween update I am out. The update is a disaster full of bugs and WTF moments. They kept talking about the great things that we coming, and while there were some cool things most of what they talked about were not there but plenty of bugs. I have praised Spooky all along the way, but not even having a Halloween for the coder to test the new code on?? WTF??
Spooky, you seriously need to stop worrying about the next game and focusing on finishing the last one (code wise) first. We deserve better.

While the R&M code I think went along smoother than HWN, something similar came out during the wait there too which was a surprise. The person coding only had the whitewood or early proto to test on, which seemed kind of odd as it was clear there was something working differently in some peoples games than others. Maybe this is normal in pinball?

#2714 1 year ago

Spooky hired more programmers since HWN/UM and they won't be developing code for 2 different games at the same time on this title.

Win-Win.

It's going to be their most epic game yet!

#2715 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Scooby code - the programmer DJ has already said, the code will be at 1.0 when the game ships.

1.0 code without wizard modes and at least 5 modes missing? Because that's what I'm reading.

Quoted from Zablon:

Maybe this is normal in pinball?

Mixed bag. I believe they famously didn't give Lyman a machine so he sort of had to do the rules on his own.

#2716 1 year ago

I’ve filled out what I believe I know about the map. Feel free to correct what I have and hopefully have some answers for the question marks I’ve listed.

94F5574F-763B-4754-A78A-853C2509C320 (resized).jpeg94F5574F-763B-4754-A78A-853C2509C320 (resized).jpeg
#2717 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

1.0 code without wizard modes and at least 5 modes missing? Because that's what I'm reading.

Numbers aside - I can’t recall *any* machine that’s shipped with everything compete in the “USB era”.

You’ve been around a long time too - remember Metallica when it came out? 3 multiballs. That’s it.

XMen - didn’t work. BM66 - basically a box of lights. Stranger things and Bond - not much better. Even Elwins games, I can’t recall any of those had the Wizard in there from the start.

Hey - it’d be super awesome if all code in every machine was 100% on day one - sounds like this code is going to pretty far along at delivery - unlike HW and UM - they have learnt their lesson.

rd

#2718 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Exactly. Matt has provided his personal email in the HW thread - if anyone sees any bugs, just let him know! Send him an email!
He will sort it out.
PS - he has a machine on hand … Even airfreighted pinball machines take some days to get to the other side of the world.
Scooby code - the programmer DJ has already said, the code will be at 1.0 when the game ships. They’ve been working on it for ages.

rd

To be fair....1.0 as the number really doesn't mean anything.

#2719 1 year ago
Quoted from OriginalFresh:

I’ve filled out what I believe I know about the map. Feel free to correct what I have and hopefully have some answers for the question marks I’ve listed.
[quoted image]

This is the type of hype posts I like to see prior to more released info. Thanks!!

#2720 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Numbers aside - I can’t recall *any* machine that’s shipped with everything compete in the “USB era”.
You’ve been around a long time too - remember Metallica when it came out? 3 multiballs. That’s it.
XMen - didn’t work. BM66 - basically a box of lights. Stranger things and Bond - not much better. Even Elwins games, I can’t recall any of those had the Wizard in there from the start.
Hey - it’d be super awesome if all code in every machine was 100% on day one - sounds like this code is going to pretty far along at delivery - unlike HW and UM - they have learnt their lesson.
rd

I know all about Lyman talking over a year to get a game done. Or Xmen, the worst initial release ever. The diff'rence is one was Lyman, and the other wasn't; and Spooky sure as shit isn't Lyman. After the latest HWN update I don't have a lot of faith in them. I mean they thought that code was good to, 1.9 level whatever thst means; and its a fucking mess.

I get we a love pinball but this blind faith that everything will be just great and anyone that questions has issues with reading is a bit insulting.

#2721 1 year ago

They’re definitely floundering a bit. I honestly think they felt they absolutely needed to prematurely drop code before the QnA so that they didn’t get absolutely lambasted over it in the chat. To be fair, I’d have done the same. I think Matt is doing what he needs to do but a lot of it was behind the scenes and is less obvious to players / owners. It’s unfortunate, but what’s being done is likely necessary to insure better code in the future.

Quoted from TheLaw:

I know all about Lyman talking over a year to get a game done. Or Xmen, the worst initial release ever. The diff'rence is one was Lyman, and the other wasn't; and Spooky sure as shit isn't Lyman. After the latest HWN update I don't have a lot of faith in them. I mean they thought that code was good to, 1.9 level whatever thst means; and its a fucking mess.
I get we a love pinball but this blind faith that everything will be just great and anyone that questions has issues with reading is a bit insulting.

#2722 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The person coding only had the whitewood or early proto to test on, which seemed kind of odd as it was clear there was something working differently in some peoples games than others. Maybe this is normal in pinball?

I dunno if it’s normal but in my experience with game making it’s pretty common.

#2723 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I LMAO at the guys that chime in with “have they sold out yet” or “I put 30 in the buy it now order and I can’t believe there are that many left”.

Way too many FOMO’s still hoping to validate their purchase with a “sellout”.

#2724 1 year ago

Looks super cool!
I'd love to own one second hand for a few months when you guys get tired of it. Looks like Spookys got the package. If the code lives up I think they will be around for some time. They are learning with each release.

#2725 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Way too many FOMO’s still hoping to validate their purchase with a “sellout”.

“I put 2000 for each model in my shopping basket”!

More likely way too many FOMO’s trying to validate why they didn’t purchase.

#2726 1 year ago

Can we stop hyping this PLEASE!?

It's making me want to buy one!

#2727 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

“I put 2000 for each model in my shopping basket”!
More likely way too many FOMO’s trying to validate why they didn’t purchase.

It’s both.

FOMO buyers are desperate for it to sellout so they don’t face the prospect of losing $2,000 when they sell their pre order spot in 6 months after Jaws or whatever is released, and of course to justify their FOMO panic buy.

Non buyers are desperate for it to not sell out so they can point and laugh at the FOMO buyers and also pick up a pre order spot at a $2,000 discount in six months, and of course to justify not pulling the trigger.

As always, lots of different dynamics at play!

#2728 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s both.
FOMO buyers are desperate for it to sellout so they don’t face the prospect of losing $2,000 when they sell their pre order spot in 6 months after Jaws or whatever is released.
Non buyers are desperate for it to not sell out so they can point and laugh at the FOMO buyers and also pick up a pre order spot at a $2,000 discount in six months.

True... Weird Al, Bond, Cactus Canyon LE, Scoony Doo, and Lebowski all have stupendous wait times. How long until their are more deposits than money for games?

#2729 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s both.
FOMO buyers are desperate for it to sellout so they don’t face the prospect of losing $2,000 when they sell their pre order spot in 6 months after Jaws or whatever is released, and of course to justify their FOMO panic buy.
Non buyers are desperate for it to not sell out so they can point and laugh at the FOMO buyers and also pick up a pre order spot at a $2,000 discount in six months, and of course to justify not pulling the trigger.

And the peanut gallery for both sides can't fathom the other

#2730 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

1.0 shipped is a stretch. They said most of the rules card except for wizard and character modes. That’s like 1/3 of the game at least.

I plan to send detailed videos of any bugs I see to hopefully help them flesh the game out. I want this to be rock solid as much or more than anyone else.

#2731 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s both.

True. At least this time round you would hope everyone knows the “risks” - not every game is an instant hit and hard to get for list price down the track. Making instant money on games is not normal.

#2732 1 year ago

All bad reasons that have little to do with pinball at all, really pretty unfortunate that the hobby is like this. My reason for buying day one is: 1. I knew I wanted it 2. I wanted my location players to get a chance to play one and 3. Thats it

Could I have held out? Yeah. Could I maybe have bought it for less later? Possibly. Could it cost me more to wait? Possibly. So I just figured…buy it. Support the company and support a dealer.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s both.

#2733 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We do not deserve better because we continue buying non-refundable pre orders.

Now this is just being mean!!!

#2734 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

That's a fantastic idea. Old lanterns with flame leds in them. That would look awesome. Also... I agree...marine lantern... And If you could emulate a water effect on the upper playfield that would be awesome!

Kind of like the lanterns on JJP Pirates

#2735 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Can we stop hyping this PLEASE!?
It's making me want to buy one!

Do it and we’ll celebrate virtually over a beer in the hype thread!!!

#2736 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

People were expecting R&M code and gameplay quality. That was obviously not the case after about 6 months of updates.

Well many were and are happy with it so there’s that. Fact remains people are impatient and greedy. Look at Munsters code. Look how long that took.

#2737 1 year ago

I've always viewed them as the same pin. Although this would be a sneaky way for Spooky to say something that is technically true, but also ambiguous. Or I guess fair since a lot of customers keep saying their last two pins flopped. I personally view Halloween and Ultraman as one pin.

Quoted from JSC:

I think they view UM and Halloween has 2 different games, meaning 1250 would be the number he was referencing. But no way to know for sure.

#2738 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It was a joke guys, cmon.

CBA4EE4F-39BA-41DC-812B-2EADE2843B7E (resized).jpegCBA4EE4F-39BA-41DC-812B-2EADE2843B7E (resized).jpeg
#2739 1 year ago

Isn't a bit concerning on the release pamphlet about Code/Rules every single mode was summarized entirely with one sentence? I didn't see much substance to the modes. Unless what Spooky put out was just a general summation, not intended to reflect all the nuances of the actual code.

Quoted from rotordave:

He will sort it out.

rd

#2740 1 year ago

The new programmers are responsible for the most recent Halloween code, which according to forum posts was filled with bugs. Not necessarily a really good sign. Maybe it's partially due to working on someone else's work, maybe easier for them to start from scratch on Scooby. Either way not the most comforting thing to hear about the new code.

Quoted from Damonator:

Spooky hired more programmers since HWN/UM and they won't be developing code for 2 different games at the same time on this title.
Win-Win.
It's going to be their most epic game yet!

#2741 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinbolls:

Isn't a bit concerning on the release pamphlet about Code/Rules every single mode was summarized entirely with one sentence? I didn't see much substance to the modes. Unless what Spooky put out was just a general summation, not intended to reflect all the nuances of the actual code.

Pretty sure it’s a marketing summary, not an in depth explanation of the rules. A bit like the rule summary on the apron - kind of useless.

#2742 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Putting a 2k non refundable deposit means you’re super keep on the theme. Did you read the post?

Of course, but a manufacturer cant fire 50 staff and shut down a production line while they finish coding a game.

I read everything you wrote. Maybe you should reread what you wrote. You get a gold medal for mental gymnastics.

#2743 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Pretty sure it’s a marketing summary, not an in depth explanation of the rules. A bit like the rule summary on the apron - kind of useless.

Fair. We all know they could a be broken down to the infamous "shoot the flashing lights. "

#2744 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinbolls:

The new programmers are responsible for the most recent Halloween code, which according to forum posts was filled with bugs. Not necessarily a really good sign. Maybe it's partially due to working on someone else's work, maybe easier for them to start from scratch on Scooby. Either way not the most comforting thing to hear about the new code.

I like the taking out of context things and blowing it out of proportions. Yea the new code has a couple bugs. But "filled with bugs" is pretty huge exaggeration. They fixed and added a bunch of things, theres a couple little issues which are all visual presentation issues and they are already working on it.

Love the overreaction, saw another of this on Facebook where folks were saying how the new code is a "disaster". lol no it's not

#2745 1 year ago

I agree. The code made the game a lot better in a lot of ways. As long as they are quick to squash the bugs now its nothing but positive progress

Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I like the taking out of context things and blowing it out of proportions. Yea the new code has a couple bugs. But "filled with bugs" is pretty huge exaggeration. They fixed and added a bunch of things, theres a couple little issues which are all visual presentation issues and they are already working on it.
Love the overreaction, saw another of this on Facebook where folks were saying how the new code is a "disaster". lol no it's not

#2746 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s both.

Ha ha ha awesome post and real!

My favorite post to date is Spooky Luke before release "Distro have more names then games they are allotted"

Pump it up MEME in need here. LOL

#2747 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

to 2010; I think I got them all?
DP, AIQ, IMDN, Rush, SW, LZ, GB, TWD, GOT, MET, Mustang, Avengers, EDIT: Stranger things

BKSOR!

#2748 1 year ago

Still... remember the days when companies couldn't lean on updates as a crutch? Companies want profit NOW and foolish consumers keep encouraging this behavior. I would love to boycott the whole concept but shamefully it wouldn't get enough support from society.

#2749 1 year ago

SpookyLuke regarding your comment about Christmas theme… nightmare before Christmas might be a good entry point into that type of game. Thank me later.

#2750 1 year ago

I wasn't attempting to blow anything out of proportion, maybe filled with bugs was unfair. Typically you only hear from the unhappy people. That being said, when you are talking about Spooky and code issues and bugs I feel like they are on a very short leash.

An example if I have been performing poorly at work and I need to need to regain trust from my peers and superiors, I would want my next submission to be free of errors to show it was an oversight.

If I say I'm fixing the issue, i.e. hiring more programmers and saying it is going to resolve the issue. Then once I have said programmers in place and still have the same issue as before or the same mistakes. I would expect criticism to follow as I understand I'm being justly scrutinized as a result of my performance.

I'm a day one Scooby Doo buyer with zero regret in that decision, but it does no one any good to ignore issues or provide excuses.

Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Mooshue's Market

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinbald Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rogers, AR
Playfield - Other
Severedmods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9,769.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 130.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-scooby-doo-hype-thread/page/55 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.