20230328_181118 (resized).jpg
20230328_181545 (resized).jpg
20230328_180833 (resized).jpg
BE05C8C4-31FB-43E8-A5E6-337A1E9E9377 (resized).jpeg
43782B1B-4F63-45E0-AD6A-37180D1CC512 (resized).jpeg
6AEE14D4-84AF-46D6-85B5-0E9FD2BAC017 (resized).jpeg
CF8547BD-6F48-4D7B-AC93-A2BDA5F36D65 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 130.
#1601 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

This is why Alien sucks. It can't function on location due to flawed software. I have both a R&M and HW on location and have had no issues with them. I put a TNA CE out but it lasted less than a month before it broke but it is a bad opto and not a software issues so far.

Have you sent in your data log to pinball brothers?
The new code is working great for us.

#1602 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Be forgiving of the wiring lol! It's pre production.
[quoted image]

Breakout boards for the switches - nice! That's an improvement over Pinotaur.

#1603 1 year ago

The underplayfield looks quite similar to how PB Alien is.

#1604 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

[quoted image]

I do like how you have seemingly reduced the number of things you have to disconnect to take off the main board. And the lamp PCBs are likely cheaper and easier for you guys, and less likely to have breaks in the serial chain of power/data.

Now please stick with a system

#1605 1 year ago

Alien totally rules

#1606 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

[quoted image]

subway!!! cool!!

#1607 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

[quoted image]

Is that driver board a Pinotaur2, some other Ben Heck solo creation, or??

And the biggest question for me is can it do sub-1ms duty cycles to steal a bit of Stern's Spike magic with holds not heating flipper coils appreciably?

#1608 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Only CE for certain. Confirmed by Spooky.

that thanks for the clarification. CE for me!

#1609 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

The game can recognize it and save you on the fly! It's actually super impressive

Can you make this a mod for Halloween please

#1610 1 year ago

It does solve a *lot* of issues putting all your LEDs on a panel. Fast, cheap, *and* easy for manufacture/assembly. Plus it reduces the number of connectors that the 5V power has to pass through, reducing voltage sag on long strings of LEDs. The one downside I think people might point out is that if an LED dies, the whole panel needs to be replaced. If that happens, 1) if you are comfortable with surface mount soldering, you can actually pretty easily just swap the bad LED out, or 2) these boards are cheap enough, just call us up and we'll probably just send you a replacement for free.

That being said, the LEDs are quite robust; the chances of one burning out are pretty low.

#1611 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

[quoted image]

If y'all need any help with a run of production harnesses, just let a fellow Wisconsinite know! I'd love to contribute

#1612 1 year ago

Hey DJ.......Look at My Avatar. Guess what I want!?! Pretty please Sir

#1613 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I do like how you have seemingly reduced the number of things you have to disconnect to take off the main board. And the lamp PCBs are likely cheaper and easier for you guys, and less likely to have breaks in the serial chain of power/data.
Now please stick with a system

Yes!

#1614 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Hey DJ.......Look at My Avatar. Guess what I want!?! Pretty please Sir

DJ and Matt Kemp were just consulting. Hopefully it won't be long for those waiting on the Halloween code. The good news is a lot of the hardest work has been included in this code update. That work is going to greatly improve our ability to push out future updates in a more timely manor.

#1615 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Hopefully it won't be long for those waiting on the Halloween code.

Thursday ends in 10 hours for CONUS, hopefully y'all can make your deadline

#1616 1 year ago

I’m happy to say that I literally got out of pinball in the past year with prices going through the roof and sold off my entire collection….that being said spooky just reeled me back in with my dream theme and looks like they knocked it out of the park. I’m down to a one pin collection now and this is it. CE coming my way!

#1617 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Thursday ends in 10 hours for CONUS, hopefully y'all can make your deadline

I'm not leaving until we do.

#1618 1 year ago

Is a Matthew Donnelly here from Facebook?

#1619 1 year ago

PinMonk technically, it can do sub-millisecond if you really push it! But the way it's configured right now, it's in the 1 to 2 ms range I believe. I haven't noticed any fade across the 3 or 4 whitewoods I've worked on.

#1620 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

It does solve a *lot* of issues putting all your LEDs on a panel. Fast, cheap, *and* easy for manufacture/assembly. Plus it reduces the number of connectors that the 5V power has to pass through, reducing voltage sag on long strings of LEDs. The one downside I think people might point out is that if an LED dies, the whole panel needs to be replaced. If that happens, 1) if you are comfortable with surface mount soldering, you can actually pretty easily just swap the bad LED out, or 2) these boards are cheap enough, just call us up and we'll probably just send you a replacement for free.
That being said, the LEDs are quite robust; the chances of one burning out are pretty low.

The boards/LED's are much preferred! Wish R&M had this tech...the number of connectors is insane and keeping them all plugged in is a bit of a maintenance issue (to get full fidelity from the lights). When they are loose, they just don't have the proper colors (but still light).

#1621 1 year ago

I made a new thread where those interested can discuss all things technical about the new system: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warden-pinball-controller

#1622 1 year ago

SLRage We are literally building the HWN update package right now! Sit tight!

#1623 1 year ago

Love Ya.....mean it

#1624 1 year ago

What about a little update for Ultraman?

#1625 1 year ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

What about a little update for Ultraman?

I've posted this in the Ultraman thread, but while waiting on some licensing approvals for Halloween we were able to get a jumpstart on the next Ultraman update.

#1626 1 year ago

Love how PinballStar is handling the orders. Keep up the good work. I normally order from FlipNout but didn't know he was selling and was in contact with PinballStar first.

#1627 1 year ago

Very interested to hear of your hard work designing this new board set.

Quoted from spooky_dj:

I made a new thread where those interested can discuss all things technical about the new system: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warden-pinball-controller

#1628 1 year ago

ordered a CE yesterday ! looking forward to a little Spooky in the house again , missed my AMH

#1629 1 year ago

We are in for a CE, as long as we can get one. Never bought a NIB that wasn't a stern. Signed up for fang club. Normally go through gameroomguys, but they aren't a distributor for spooky.

What would be the reason to go through a distributor (thinking flip n out) versus buying direct?

#1630 1 year ago

So the standard edition will play identically to the others, just less cosmetics, right?

Really tempted...

#1631 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

So the standard edition will play identically to the others, just less cosmetics, right?
Really tempted...

Yep - just paying for the extra bling. SE's are run at the end, so you could be waiting awhile....

#1632 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

PinMonk technically, it can do sub-millisecond if you really push it! But the way it's configured right now, it's in the 1 to 2 ms range I believe. I haven't noticed any fade across the 3 or 4 whitewoods I've worked on.

EDIT: Reposted this in the new technical thread for the board set.

Thanks for the reply.

Sub millisecond duty cycles only really help a lot with runaway temps in hold, so regular play wouldn't really show up the benefit. A quick and dirty test is if you jam a flipper into hold (manually make the flipper switch blades stay in contact) and measure that coil temp over a half hour of holding on the microsecond (sub-1ms) duty cycles it's essentially temp stable with just a degree or two of increase. On the 1ms duty cycle you will see the temp continue to increase in hold, so it will be quite a bit higher at the end of that half hour just holding.

If you are still only doing 1ms duty cycles, trap players will probably be driving the flipper coils to fade on this. It's why I keep preaching the gospel of treading the path Stern has blazed with microsecond duty cycles on their spike system. It's solved temp increases in hold, which is a big piece of the fade puzzle.

#1633 1 year ago

What is the link for the Facebook stream?

#1634 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks for the reply.
Sub millisecond duty cycles only really help a lot with runaway temps in hold, so regular play wouldn't really show up the benefit. A quick and dirty test is if you jam a flipper into hold (manually make the flipper switch blades stay in contact) and measure that coil temp over a half hour of holding on the microsecond (sub-1ms) duty cycles it's essentially temp stable with just a degree or two of increase. On the 1ms duty cycle you will see the temp continue to increase in hold, so it will be quite a bit higher at the end of that half hour just holding.
If you are still only doing 1ms duty cycles, trap players will probably be driving the flipper coils to fade on this. It's why I keep preaching the gospel of treading the path Stern has blazed with microsecond duty cycles on their spike system. It's solved temp increases in hold, which is a big piece of the fade puzzle.

Are Scooby flippers single wound like Stern or dual wound coils?

#1635 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Are Scooby flippers single wound like Stern or dual wound coils?

Probably dual, but doesn't matter. Even a dedicated lower power hold-only circuit will increase temps over time if driven by 1ms or longer duty cycles. Microsecond duty cycles are the key to temp stability in hold, regardless of single or dual wound coils. Stern really is way ahead of the pack with this on their Spike system.

#1636 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

What is the link for the Facebook stream?

Better yet, what's the link to the Youtube mirror?

#1637 1 year ago

When do preorders go up for Scooby Doo anyway, have they said a date and time yet? Can you order directly through their website? I’ve never ordered a Spooky before.

#1638 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballZach:

When do preorders go up for Scooby Doo anyway, have they said a date and time yet? Can you order directly through their website? I’ve never ordered a Spooky before.

Friday, but you need to be a FANG Club member to get in on the initial rush.

Honestly, I'd just go with a distributor and beat the rush. Zach at FlipnOut said he had two slots left as of last night. Kingpin and PinballSTAR are also Spooky, so you could ask them as well.

#1639 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Is a Matthew Donnelly here from Facebook?

Yeah he's this dude

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/mpdpvdpin

#1640 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Really tempted...

Lot less cosmetics, like no target decals, none of the cool sculpts, none of the colored plastics or rails. It's a very bare bones looking machine if you seen what the SE's of the Halloween and Ultraman looked like. And you will be waiting till end of production run as they are made last.

#1641 1 year ago

Spooky Luke, thanks for the shots video. Good man.

#1642 1 year ago

Thanks dude looks like he’s ignoring me now, so he doesn’t have to pay up the $1000 he bet me.

Oh well shows his character, anyway back to scooby doo, can anyone at spooky confirm if there will be inner art for the SE as an aftermarket mod?

#1643 1 year ago

Congrats to Spooky for providing some gameplay video, remember this is more than you got from Stern or JJP's last games before they opened the sales. I want to see the same demand for Stern's 60th Bond edition being revealed soon so I know you're holding all the companies to the same standard.

#1644 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Probably dual, but doesn't matter. Even a dedicated lower power hold-only circuit will increase temps over time if driven by 1ms or longer duty cycles. Microsecond duty cycles are the key to temp stability in hold, regardless of single or dual wound coils.

what?

Dual-wound coils don't use duty-cycling.

On activation, both the high current (fewer windings) and low current (many windings) coils are energized, providing a strong initial flip. As the flipper reaches the end of it's stroke, the crankshaft pawl opens the EOS switch and either physically cuts power to the high-current coil, or tells the computer to cut power, leaving only the low current, high winding coil energized. This is enough to keep the flipper up but not enough current to overheat. The coil should not increase in temperature even after long holds if the windings are correct.

HWN uses dual-wound coils but after dealing with ridiculous amounts of heat and fade, even with fans, I suspect they are not being driven properly in current code.

#1645 1 year ago

Raise your hand if you have actually PAID a deposit to your distributor before sales went live.

Be honest.

749E61D7-4B9D-48F5-A837-E5F7A2C6D310 (resized).jpeg749E61D7-4B9D-48F5-A837-E5F7A2C6D310 (resized).jpeg
#1646 1 year ago

Already looks like more fun than Halloween and a better theme (to me). I'm sure the FOMO flippers will be all over the preorders on this one despite licking their wounds from the last Spooky pre-order.

I've been mulling it over all day today and just now decided I will not be pulling the trigger on my first Spooky game. For a moment there I almost went for one (CE of course). 1969 is actually a lot of games, so down the road it will be easier to find than Rick and Morty even if it is a good game.

Not sure anyone has mentioned it, but this game reminds me of Game of Thrones Premium/LE. Basically a fan layout with a big upper playfield.

#1647 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Thanks dude looks like he’s ignoring me now, so he doesn’t have to pay up the $1000 he bet me.

Oh well shows his character

Can't say I'm surprised at all.

#1648 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

what?
Dual-wound coils don't use duty-cycling.
On activation, both the high current (fewer windings) and low current (many windings) coils are energized, providing a strong initial flip. As the flipper reaches the end of it's stroke, the crankshaft pawl opens the EOS switch and either physically cuts power to the high-current coil, or tells the computer to cut power, leaving only the low current, high winding coil energized. This is enough to keep the flipper up but not enough current to overheat. The coil should not increase in temperature even after long holds if the windings are correct.
HWN uses dual-wound coils but after dealing with ridiculous amounts of heat and fade, even with fans, I suspect they are not being driven properly in current code.

Anything that gets power can be duty cycled. Just a question of how small of power slices the hardware allows. ALL the dual wound coils I've tested on modern machines gain heat in hold. ALL of them. It's not just Spooky machines.

#1649 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Anything that gets power can be duty cycled. Just a question of how small of power slices the hardware allows. ALL the dual wound coils I've tested on modern machines gain heat in hold. ALL of them. It's not just Spooky machines.

Can be but shouldn't be. I have no idea why modern games with dual-wound coils suck so badly. WMS managed to get it right for hundreds of thousands of games, there is no duty-cycling on any of their games and the flippers worked fine. Gotta go back to SYS11 and cruddy HV cabinet/EOS switches before you had regular problems. Meanwhile the plungers on HWN will leave a blister if you touch more than a couple seconds after a long game.

Really hoping they can get this figured out. R&M was fine after Stellenberg helped out with code.

#1650 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Can be but shouldn't be. I have no idea why modern games with dual-wound coils suck so badly. WMS managed to get it right for hundreds of thousands of games, there is no duty-cycling on any of their games and the flippers worked fine. Gotta go back to SYS11 and cruddy HV cabinet/EOS switches before you had regular problems. Meanwhile the plungers on HWN will leave a blister if you touch more than a couple seconds after a long game.
Really hoping they can get this figured out. R&M was fine after Stellenburg helped out with code.

Is flipper power adjustable? Maybe the metal flippers and fans are the answer?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9,769.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
Severedmods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinbald Mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Northport, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Blue Bell, PA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Mooshue's Market

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 130.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-scooby-doo-hype-thread/page/33?hl=rockwell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.