(Topic ID: 89309)

'America's Most Haunted' at Allentown Pinfest !

By PinballSTAR

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by musketd
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0724.JPG
amhghost.jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

We are proud to announce that PinballSTAR Amusements has recieved the first production game shipped by Spooky Pinball - America's Most Haunted ! AND we will be bringing it to the Allentown Pinfest this weekend for all to play in our PinballSTAR Amsuements booth !

Congrats to Charlie Emery and Ben Heck and the entire Spooky Pinball crew for getting this project done and becoming the first 'Boutique' Pinball company to ship their FIRST game. The artwork is great, the construction of the game is well done, the alternate lighting during modes was an unexpected surprise, the sound and call outs are very well done and funny, the DMD animations are excellent - much more than we expected there, the shots, modes, and rules are really great - easy to pick up on but also a very deep game... We know the rules have gotten alot of thumbs up here on Pinside after the Midwest Gaming Classic. Overall a great game and incredible effort by Charlie and Ben - hat's off and a big congratulations to them for shipping thier first game !

PinballSTAR Amusements is proud to be Spooky Pinball's only outside distributor and we will be taking orders for AMH at the show. $ 5,995 with 1/2 down to order, the other 1/2 prior to shipping. If you are interested and can't make the show, please call or email me for details. And don't forget Pinball Zombies from Beyond the Grave is next !

...oh and each game comes with it's very own ghost to haunt your gameroom ! : )

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
[email protected]
570-357-0042

amhghost.jpgamhghost.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Sweet! Wish I could attend.

#3 9 years ago

That is soooo cool!!!!! Can't wait to try one out

Rob

#4 9 years ago

Can't wait to let everyone get a try at it at the show !

#5 9 years ago

That's great! Congrats to everyone involved!

#7 9 years ago

This is on my list to play. Glad you guys are going to make it.

#8 9 years ago

No idea why people at MGC thumbed it down. Was a great game and wish I had the funds because I think its a keeper. Its not a keeper due to the low production number but for the look and play of it. Great things will come from those gents at Spooky.

#9 9 years ago

From what I read, most at MGC gave it great reviews. Not sure where you saw it was getting a thumbs down.

#10 9 years ago

MGCers gave it lots of thumbs up!

Just curious, what is the advantage of ordering through PinballStar rather than going directly to the source?
I am suprised they have a distributor when they are also selling direct.

#11 9 years ago

Can't wait to try this!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Just curious, what is the advantage of ordering through PinballStar rather than going directly to the source?

My guess is that Spooky can't be everywhere to showcase machine. It easier to sell a machine if you see it and play it.

Not everyone is blessed to live a couple of hours away from the Spooky world headquarters.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It would be cool if many of these were able to stay local.

#14 9 years ago

I hope they get shipped all over the world. Ben has made a great game and I have to think that after more people play it, the sales willl increase quite a bit.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Distributors have their own customer base that they will promote to. Obviously Pinside is just one (small) part of the pinball world and anyone here would probably just deal with Spooky direct, but otherwise a distributor is going to open up new markets that Spooky would not otherwise easily sell to. especially operators.

JJP sells their machines direct (through pinballsales) but still has distributors, so same difference.

#16 9 years ago

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I guess in my little world, I hope people order direct through Spooky so hopefully more $$ goes in their pocket so they can build the business.

#17 9 years ago

Everything I heard about the game from MGC was good, aside from the scoop kickout and overpowered slings. Seems like minor stuff, considering. Looking forward to the reviews from A-town!

#18 9 years ago

I was really surprised to see that there this morning.

A happy surprise!

Chris

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Everything I heard about the game from MGC was good, aside from the scoop kickout and overpowered slings. Seems like minor stuff, considering. Looking forward to the reviews from A-town!

underpowered slings but those are easily adjustable. Ben and turned them down thinking they were too strong but then was able to easily adjust the power back up.

#20 9 years ago

Why support a distributor ?

For Spooky - because I can reach out and expose the game to more customers. Because if I do shows on the east coast for Charlie, he doesn't have to spend thousands of dollars on travel, gas, hotel, vendor space, etc... And has more capital to put into game development and running the company. Also the more time Charlie spends on the phone talking to everyone the less time, again, he has to make games.

For customers - because I brought my own personal game out of the box 1 day to a show and let it get banged on for 2 days nonstop. It's no longer HUO. If I bring games to shows and the nobody buys from the distributor who paid to get them there you can rest assured I won't be doing it again. My booth cost me $1,000 alone. It was nice everyone was so surprised to see the game there and it was especially nice when people sought me out to thank me personally for bringing the games / games there I did for everyone to enjoy. Also we are more local and can address problems or issues as well for east coast folks.

It's why every game we sell the company we represent has distributors - Jersey Jack, Spooky, Planetary (Medieval Madness), and Virtuapin. Don't support us and you'll never some of see these games at shows. You guys had 5 games in my booth that might not have been there if not for having local distributor presence.

It's a win win for everyone. Support you local distributor !!!

Thank you,
Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
570-357-0042
[email protected]

#21 9 years ago

Hard to argue with that.

#22 9 years ago

What Joe said... if you are in his area, or played his game at Allentown, buy from him. This gives you someone local to work with and a pretty smiling face to answer your questions while I'm buried in the shop building the next guys game.

"Pretty smiling face" is a subjective term... your mileage may vary, see Joe for details. His girlfriend seems to like his face anyway.

#23 9 years ago

Most Haunted was easily the biggest and most pleasant surprise for me at the show.
Really nice and different game.
Congrats.

#24 9 years ago

I was really surprised too....if I weren't committed to MMR this is a very cool machine!!

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

I was really surprised too....if I weren't committed to MMR this is a very cool machine!!

You could always uncommit to MMR and buy a NEW game that rocks...

#26 9 years ago

I have a deposit on a MMr but started to really consider switching this weekend.

#27 9 years ago

Thanks for bringing the game.. was fun to watch people playing it, never got around to playing it myself.

Got some more games on WOZ though and while it has always been a stunning game to look at, the gameplay seems alot better from last time i played it. Ruby Red looks the best IMHO.

Hobbit should be great... hopefully JJP can bang them after learning from WOZ.

#28 9 years ago

Man you guys got me even more stoked to get mine! (Sending Charlie some Red Bull)

#29 9 years ago

Thanks for all the comments... I increased the size of our booth to accomodate the games and not have lines and to have people have some breathing room and it was worth it. That cost $ though. We enjoyed bringing all the games. It was great for us to have the new 'buzz' game the second year in a row - with WOZ last year and AMH this year. We almost had the Medieval Madness Remake too but Plantetary needed the protos there at home as parts are strarting to roll in and they needed the games there to check parts... BUT, It's all about supporting the hobby and the people putting themselves out there to keep it alive...

It's all trickle down... Jack did what he did give an alternative to Stern, Charlie probably fed off that success and did his thing as did all the other boutique guys, then distributors get to get involved and get the games out to the shows for people to play and see, and the pinball shows succeed and continue, and the collectors have new stuff to play / enjoy / collect... All good stuff... I appreciated all the nice comments I got at the show from people I didn't know just coming to say 'I know youre busy, but thanks for bringing these to the show for everyone'...

I also like bringing 'wierd' or 'odd' stuff you don't get to see much to the show... Last year I brought the 1934 Rockola World Series and this year we brought the Marionette Puppet Show arcade game from England. I got a kick out of everyone walking by and taking pictures of it and smiling while watching it... Too funny grown men watching dancing puppets. Good stuff...

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amuements
Distributors for Jersey Jack Pinball, Spooky Pinball, Planetary Pinball, and Virtuapin
[email protected]
570-357-0042

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

this year we brought the Marionette Puppet Show arcade game from England

And thanks for bringing THAT! Got some awesome creepy pics of it that my family and friends really got a kick out of on my instagram account!

#31 9 years ago

Was great of Joe to bring the game and let's not forget his girlfriend either she helped out the entire show; you guys rock see you guys at York

#32 9 years ago

My girlfriend was going strangle me if she heard 'Head Shoulders Knees and Toes' one more time out of the puppet machine... Too funny... It was a BEAR to lug to the show but I knew everyone would get a kick out of it...

Thanks Derek... and thanks for not 'helping' and dumping one of my games off the dolly like at York... LOL... it's good to have friends to help you pack up and load up, but not when they make your games do a header off the hand truck... My bad for not strapping it... It survived so no harm and we have a funny story now !

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Thanks Derek... and thanks for not 'helping' and dumping one of my games off the dolly like at York... LOL... it's good to have friends to help you pack up and load up, but not when they make your games do a header off the hand truck... My bad for not strapping it... It survived so no harm and we have a funny story now !

Now that is funny, as Derek usually only dumps his own machines, but I am not talking about the physical kind!

Brad

#34 9 years ago

GRC is claiming Ray had to spend 2 hours to fix something on AMH about 7 minutes into the video below, any truth to that?

#35 9 years ago

No - I had the volume turned way up and I blew a speaker... I was trying to compete with the video pin guys next to me and Pinnovators with their games blasting (which they should, they sell sound solutions). So we had to replace the speaker. My fault, not the speaker, not the game's. I had to run my booth too so it took us a bit to get to it and then we had to get the speaker replaced and then put everything back together... Ray from Wide Area Repair came over and helped us, yes - he's a super guy who did that out of kindness knowing we were swamped. He was there mostly to fix a connector we had a wire pull out of we couldn't find... He looks and in minutes, yup he found it... Simple stuff... I already talked to Mike at GRC about the comment and he said it was off the cuff as he was running around the show - moreso said it to promote Ray fixing things so well and for a friend, not commentary on the game - they loved the game. The game ran like a champ for 2 days - there were lines both days open to close and everyone played it loved it ! Good stuff !

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

GRC is claiming Ray had to spend 2 hours to fix something on AMH about 7 minutes into the video below, any truth to that?
» YouTube video

There should be a seizure warning on that video..ug

#37 9 years ago

The game played great. It is a sure winner. The only thing keeping me from one is the Casper style ghosts. The gameplay, rules, sounds, and playfield toys/layout are great. Should have "realistic ghost (if ghosts are real not claiming either way)/silly ghost" options.

I realize not everyone likes their machines\themes serious. If your cool with Casper, I highly recommend one of these machines.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

The game played great. It is a sure winner. The only thing keeping me from one is the Casper style ghosts. The gameplay, rules, sounds, and playfield toys/layout are great. Should have "realistic ghost (if ghosts are real not claiming either way)/silly ghost" options.

+1
Art direction could be tighter.
They should've chosen an art style between cartoon and realistic and stick to it (ghosts vs the crew on the backbox vs the playfield).

#39 9 years ago

Any Videos available of game play?

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Lowrent:

+1
Art direction could be tighter.
They should've chosen an art style between cartoon and realistic and stick to it (ghosts vs the crew on the backbox vs the playfield).

I understand this perspective, but personally I like that they are mixing the realistic with cartoon. It reminds me of Ghostbusters or a lot of other comedy or fantasy type themes. I think Metallica and ACDC Luci also did a great job of adding "cartoon" art.

#41 9 years ago

Photo-real ghosts on a DMD wouldn't look much different than the humans. They also needed personality and to sell the idea that this ISN'T a serious take on ghost hunting / horror theme.

Thanks to Todd Anderson who found a way to trap the ball behind the targets! I am fixing that in the code.

#42 9 years ago

Thanks for bringing the game to Pinfest!

I was able to watch some folks play and observed the following:

- The entrance to the hellavator trap the ball between parts of the ramp. Is this a slope issue?

- The left orbit shot can make the ball disappear - only to be shot out the scoop SDTM a good 10 seconds later while the player is investigating the playfield. Perhaps fire other coils before the scoop during ball search so that the player has a chance to react? I saw it happen twice and neither player had any clue what had happened until the bonus countdown.

All in all I think it looks to be a very promising game once dialed in - I'm excited to play it again.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

My guess is that Spooky can't be everywhere to showcase machine. It easier to sell a machine if you see it and play it.
Not everyone is blessed to live a couple of hours away from the Spooky world headquarters.

As someone that has been on both sides, you are totally right! It is always to a mfg advantage to have some distribution, which in effect is free marketing, as long as it is a good distributor that will back up the sale afterwards. I'm sure they are getting a functional discount so that they can match the direct sale pricing and still make a buck. And the distributor may get some trade ins, which is another way to profit. Spooky may not be able to take trades in volume so they can refer those sales to a distributor. Smart of them to have a dealer!

#44 9 years ago

Movingpictures :

1. The trap that occurred was a leveling issue and an issue with the switch - just needed a little bend, which we fixed both there.
2. The ball disappearing I think was also a tweak - the subway shifted in transit and the ball just wasn't rolling quickly enough.. again... we fixed it at some point.
We just got the game Wednesday - literally got it unpacked played a few games and packed it up for show... It wasn't dialed in after the two shipping trips...
Charlie was going nuts to get the game to us in time for th show - Hence the cool signature on the back of the game stating : 'This game almost killed me... Charlie Emery'... : )
Thanks for comments guys... I'm available answer any more. Anyone interested in ordering just give me a ring... we've done a few since the show which is great news for Spooky !

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
570-357-0042
[email protected]

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

This game almost killed me... Charlie Emery'... : )

Yeah... we didn't get to play a single game on it before it shipped. Ran all the switch & coil tests, Ben paid the truck driver for his patience who was standing there on a Friday afternoon watching us scramble, wrapped it up... off to Joe it went. (and I don't recommend ANY of this as a formal practice)

But.. it ran all weekend (after the 1 loose wire was found)... couple minor tweaks, and we're all pretty proud of how it performed overall. We took Joe's feedback, made a few upgrades & tweaks on our end, and overall she's pretty solid!

Michael Pupo from Flipper Fidelity has us capping the speakers (like Wms did) to eliminate some clipping issues. I've already "pre-tweaked" the subways and added a post to stop 1 ball trap that came up.

Everything is a learning experience. This was the first time our game went to a show without Ben & myself there to "babysit" and fix issues. You wanna talk about nervous?! We were... a lot.

Getting better at this... and we never stop trying to improve!

#46 9 years ago

AMH looked like a pretty cool game. The times I went to play it, it was either down for repairs or the line was too long.

The artwork was really nice. The PF looked nice too. Loved the jump bridge. Only thing for me was that it looked like there wasn't a whole lot to do or going on in there. BUT, as I said, I didn't play it so I can't properly judge the machine. That's just my take from what I saw.

Tell you what was really disappointing though, the surprising absence of Predator. I was really looking forward to seeing and playing that. The fact that they weren't there was not a good sign.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

This was the first time our game went to a show without Ben & myself there to "babysit" and fix issues. You wanna talk about nervous?! We were... a lot.
Getting better at this... and we never stop trying to improve!

Ben and Charlie thanks for sending the game out. It was the first thing I saw when I arrived on Friday and I got a couple plays on it that day. My wife and I loved the game! I love that it basically is talking to you the whole time not just when you hit stuff. I think the more call outs the better. Such great humor and the ghost toy is genius. I think it was the highlight of the show for me.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Ben and Charlie thanks for sending the game out. It was the first thing I saw when I arrived on Friday and I got a couple plays on it that day. My wife and I loved the game! I love that it basically is talking to you the whole time not just when you hit stuff. I think the more call outs the better. Such great humor and the ghost toy is genius. I think it was the highlight of the show for me

Thanks for the kind words... There was much debate early on with the speech. I think once people play it they understand that Ben is using the entire game like a film script and telling you the story. It's a bit different than what has been done before, but Mr. Heck has won me over. Once he polished it up, it really came out well.

Best line to me... "GHOST, BUSTED!!!... (are we allowed to say that?)".. Lol. Actor Joe Anderson did an awesome job bringing up the team leader character. We were very lucky to get him.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

There was much debate early on with the speech. I think once people play it they understand that Ben is using the entire game like a film script and telling you the story. It's a bit different than what has been done before, but Mr. Heck has won me over. Once he polished it up, it really came out well.

I agree with Mr. Heck I think it makes it that much more fun and unique. I especially like when Mr Ghost Doctor appears and starts rambling. The more you can pack in the humor the better! This may be too geeky but the layout somewhat reminded me of Mariokart when you are playing the ghost house race...

#50 9 years ago

Get back to work Charlie!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-pinballs-americas-most-haunted-at-allentown-pinfest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.