Topic Stats

• 238 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 days ago by matlynch91
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5687 (resized).jpeg
    11C0E0CF-0373-4DDB-8272-566169DCEA36 (resized).png
    204AF59E-5443-4EBB-BA3F-57BD38A0CA8F (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_Marketplace_LE_mrclean (resized).png
    3015D7CA-AF53-4EC7-AAD9-353645D24E12 (resized).jpeg
    amhbroshure (resized).png
    AD86A640-593B-401C-A0D3-7780891FA342 (resized).jpeg
    C5A00A0D-9014-4934-BCAC-1435E511D078 (resized).jpeg
    EA084EF3-1859-4A16-AF6B-5FC89BDF62EB (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210720-145111_Chrome (resized).jpg
    f89ede30711d246731e529ace00703f3 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    9f7f4b49facaaada3518a03e6f86b96d (resized).jpg
    takemymoney (resized).jpg
    41aaaIVEaTL._AC_SY400_ (resized).jpg
    hatanyone.gif
    There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 3 years ago

We just want to reach out as a company to our customers! Obviously we have grown as a company immensely the last 7 years. We finally have the facility we need to start to bring many of our parts in house that have been previously outsourced. Despite the Covid shutdown things are beginning to really come together here. A big goal for us next year is to begin improving our quality and truly trying to meet the demands of our customers. With that said what are the biggest things you would like to see us change as a manufacturer on our next release? About our cabinets, our system, our electronics, our customer service system, physical parts, anything and everything!

We obviously have many improvements in the works currently. For example we have contacted our leg manufacturer to make sure they never contact the cabinets! Also working to find an affordable option for reduced fan noise, better cabinet edges, decal edges, etc etc. Lets hear it!

#2 3 years ago

You could stop leaving empty Monster Energy cans in my office.

#3 3 years ago

HA HA HA! good stuff right there!

#4 3 years ago

If it were one thing, it'd be power supplies with quiet fans. Barring that: making the power supplies you ship easier to remove and put back into place, after fixing the fans.

And, yeah, that's the biggest thing I have to bitch about.

#6 3 years ago

I know Spooky works with Pinball Life for rubbers, but I think the gameplay those rubbers offer is awful. PL rubbers are overly bouncy, and a lot of people who played my ACNC commented on how they didn't like that. I swapped to titans and it was a huge improvement. Comparing to Titans or poly rubbers, it's clear how soft the rubber on PL feels.

Rubbers affect gameplay so much that I don't think Spooky can afford to keep having players first impressions be of a game equipped with PL rubbers. You may only get one shot to have someone decide if they like a game or not, so you can't take a chance with this imo.

You mentioned most of the other things I would suggest. Maybe some quality control is in order after the leg issue. I remember when I set up my R&M I thought, "Huh, these legs look a bit odd." But of course I was too amped to play to realize they were making contact with the cabinet.

I'm also not a huge fan of the rollover switches on R&M. They seem to ride really high. I had a bit of trouble the ball hanging up on several of them. I ended up adding a small piece of adhesive felt to the open end of the switches under the PF to bring the height down.

Last, I'd like to end on a positive note. The thing that struck me when I added R&M to the line is how much Spooky has improved since its inception. A friend has his TNA at my house currently, so I have TNA, ACNC, and R&M in the row. I've shopped all 3 and R&M was a freakin' breeze. It's a massive quality improvement imo. Your whole crew is killing it, and I really appreciate your efforts to address issues rather than pretend like they don't exist.

#7 3 years ago

Some of the things you do are awesome - real backglass plus powdercoating.

Apart from fan noise, reducing sound rattles as seems like this has been one of the biggest issues going back a few games.

A nice, clean sound system would be awesome!

#9 3 years ago

Build Kosmic Khaos! Man I was stoked when I saw that artwork.

Lightly kidding; but keep on building fun/challenging games!

#10 3 years ago

Thank you for opening up this suggestion box.

Drop Target Banks

#11 3 years ago

Get more swag! I keep checking the web page for hoodies for weeks and still sold out.

#13 3 years ago

Continue to stay true to yourself and don’t compromise what you believe in or stand for. I have a Rob Zombie and love it. When I bought it, someone told me that when you by a Spooky pin you aren’t just a customer, you become part of a tribe. That’s very true and keep that quality in mind as you move forward. I’m proud to be a Spooky owner and look forward to upcoming releases. You run your company the way you should and treat your tribesman with respect. That is certainly not overlooked by me. Rock on!

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

If it were one thing, it'd be power supplies with quiet fans. Barring that: making the power supplies you ship easier to remove and put back into place, after fixing the fans.

1000% agree!

#15 3 years ago

Would love to see some more throwback designs to the solid state era of pinball, complete with some killer original artwork in a style of sci fi fantasy and horror.

#16 3 years ago

These are important to me:

Detailed game manual that includes menu & adjustments of the software, illustrated parts drawings, and electrical schematics. Take a lesson from Chicago Gaming: they include just such a manual with every machine they sell. It's just like the original Williams manuals were and around 150 pages in length.

Playfield prop stick. If Homepin can include it in their machines, so should you. I'm not gonna climb on a fucking ladder just to work on the flippers. I'm getting sick of sawing off a pool cue stick to make my own prop sticks.

Service outlet. I need one to plug in my soldering iron.

Wire the bill acceptor socket for both 12 volt DC and 120 volt AC bill acceptors. Lots of operators still use 120 volt ac bill acceptors. Having it wired for both voltages would allow a person to use either voltage of the bill acceptors they already have.

Include a list of factory approved "options" a machine owner can buy and install himself such as knocker kits, shaker motor kits, fancy lighting kits, etc.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Detailed game manual

I agree with this suggestion. I should have thought of it myself!

#18 3 years ago

I would suggest looking at different connectors that don't force the use of hot glue to keep them secure.

#19 3 years ago

A sexy Luke calendar

#20 3 years ago

I would definitely love to see a spooky pinball store option on your website where you can buy additional updated playfield mods officially created by spooky pinball such as custom add on toys, flippers, lights, signs, etc. Would you guys ever consider doing a Killer Klowns from Outer Space pinball machine? I would definitely love to see this as a pinball machine!!

#21 3 years ago

Invest in MSLA resin printing for plastics - resins are coming a long way in matching characteristics of plastics used in FDM.

I've already made a replacement for the megaseed tree, spaceship (printed piece, not the toy itself), and supports under the portal gun - I just hate seeing the layer lines (picky, I know).

#22 3 years ago

I like the idea for a manual but maybe just put it online and we could download it. I would love to have a manual for my Rob Zombie.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darkknight42:

Would you guys ever consider doing a Killer Klowns from Outer Space pinball machine? I would definitely love to see this as a pinball machine!!

I’ve asked and emailed Charlie directly about this... I’m also IN if this title ever comes from spooky! Interactive topper could be a pizza box where shorty pops out and zaps you with the Klown gun.

Cotten kandy
    Crazy whacky straws (loops for the ball)
    Klownzilla bash on puppet strings
    Bash the Klowns nose have them explode
    Shadow puppets to eat the ball from the LCD and have it vanish under the playfield
    Fake flying popcorn that launches out of the game
    Balloon dog
    Acid pies
    Tents
    Spinning tops
    Huge mallets
    Fatso
    Shorty
    Slim

E6706F82-BD77-403C-8374-16C93ADC5321 (resized).jpegE6706F82-BD77-403C-8374-16C93ADC5321 (resized).jpeg
    #24 3 years ago

As the only company I know of that freely admits their faults and has asked for feedback, thank you! First of all, you guys are killing it! I fell hard core into the hobby 2 years ago and have rotated over 20 pins through my basement, but never a NIB. That is changing soon as my first NIB (Rick and Morty #373) is on the line right now. Please note that any suggestions and or comments here are akin to complaining that my date with Ms. Universe was less than satisfactory because she showed up 5 minutes late.

Fang Club: Fantastic idea! Joined up just so I could buy a Rick and Morty. Getting a poster was really cool! However, the poster was and advertisement to join the club we just joined. An official Spooky Fanboy/Fangirl poster would have been awesome, or a poster of upcoming games would have been great. If you would have printed up slick sheets of games you have for sale and put them in there some of us would have framed them whether or not we bought the machine.

There are a few other things you could ad to the club that would be the equivalent of us paying to watch ads we would probably enjoy. We got our first quarterly fang club video, but then it stopped. There is no area of the website for “fang club members only”. A section of the website limited only to members where we could see progress on the machines, what number is delivered, and maybe a spot for members to post pictures of their machines once set up would be cool. Sure, we’d scoop this information and drop it on pinside and facebook, but not everyone uses those.

Support: Support is fantastic! I still don’t have my NIB Spooky pin (fingers crossed December) but do have a 2nd hand TNA. Seeing Spooky logos and name handles on pinside is great and shows you interacting with the community. Danesi’s support of TNA on his website and in pinside is fantastic. I have had a couple of minor issues with my TNA, sticky drop targets and an issue with LEDs. I posted my issues and both times within hours the designer of the pin was personally there to assist. It is also great having the Spooky team pop into various Spooky forums on pinside from time to time to dispel rumors.
    Machine Quality: I only have a month or so experience with my TNA, and only have one complaint about build quality/construction. The cabinet art application is kind of goofy. For lack of a better way of describing it, it is unrepairable. There are a couple of small gouges on the left head of my TNA… not enough to impact the art itself, but it has torn through the clear laminate protecting it and left it a bit torn. Short of peeling off that entire layer, I don’t know how else to fix it. If there was a technique that didn’t use that thin plastic laminate I would be for it. I have touched up many cabinets with paint, but have no way of repairing what looks like partially peeled shrink wrap. Everything else has been rock solid.

Machine Quantity: Rick and Morty will be my first NIB pin. Rick and Morty is the only pin I have bought NIB, because it was the only one I felt confident I would not lose money on. Let’s face it, Pinball is a capital intensive hobby, but not necessarily an expensive one. Out of the 20 pins I have rotated through I have lost about $500 on 2 of them, and everything else I have broke even on or come out ahead on. If I buy Rick and Morty, I know it will hold its value because it is not going back on the line in 4 years when Spooky has trouble selling Hello Kitty the pin to keep the line going. I understand these are not investments, but if I were to lose $1000 every time I bought a new pin like with a new Stern or JJP, I couldn’t do it and/or it would have to be an absolute forever pin. So far, Spooky has not done that with the exception of the TNA 2.0, which was never advertised as a limited item. If the next Spooky pin looks to be as cool as Rick and Morty I might make it my 2nd NIB pin, if it is a limited run item. I am not saying it has to be limited to 1,000 machines (which is more than you’ve ever made before), but if there was assurance it would never go back on the line once production was finished, it makes ponying up for a nice pin a one time opportunity.

Options & Customization: Give us more options! I understand it complicates your supply chain, but there are a lot of us that will check just about every option that you guys give us. I would have absolutely paid you to install extra shooter lane protection if that was an option. I understand that making sculpts is expensive, but if you sold figures and mounts beside the machine, even off the shelf ones, if they were factory installed I’d totally buy them. If you have themes with off the shelf toys available in the future I’d totally go for these as an option. The modders are filling this gap at the moment.

Why buy Spooky:
    1. Cool theme by a cool designer available now.
    2. Only way I would likely get one (or thought so at the time they were offered) was getting one NIB.
    3. Limited run means I (likely) won’t lose my butt when/if I sell it
    4. Clear customer communication on when pins will be received
    5. Not douchebag posts on forums and social media
    6. No playfield issues
    7. Excellent support I can see on the forums
    8. Made in the USA (like most other pins, but still)
    9. Quality control issues are addressed when found (playfields and coil stops)
    10. Machines come with snacks.

Thanks for doing what you are doing guys!

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from SpookyLuke:

We just want to reach out as a company to our customers! Obviously we have grown as a company immensely the last 7 years. We finally have the facility we need to start to bring many of our parts in house that have been previously outsourced. Despite the Covid shutdown things are beginning to really come together here. A big goal for us next year is to begin improving our quality and truly trying to meet the demands of our customers. With that said what are the biggest things you would like to see us change as a manufacturer on our next release? About our cabinets, our system, our electronics, our customer service system, physical parts, anything and everything!
    We obviously have many improvements in the works currently. For example we have contacted our leg manufacturer to make sure they never contact the cabinets! Also working to find an affordable option for reduced fan noise, better cabinet edges, decal edges, etc etc. Lets hear it!

Would you share your wedding pictures when the time comes?

#26 3 years ago

Another vote for detailed manual

#27 3 years ago

End Of Stroke switches would be nice.

After playing several games on TNA and Alice Cooper, when balls hit the up flipper bat, they can loose power.

#28 3 years ago

Also flipper related - something about spooky flippers feels off to me. I can't pinpoint it and it may be my own bias towards the stern style flipper feel, but Rick and Morty just didn't feel right in that department.

#29 3 years ago

[Note: Have yet to receive R&M, so framing relative to ACNC and TNA]

Serviceability:
    1) Manual w/ blast diagrams (including part numbers), tables listing part numbers w/ details (fastener type/size, etc), trouble shooting guides, etc.
    2) Design for easy/quick access to moving parts. E.g., the upper playfield on the shadow is one thumb screw and you're in, whereas getting at the guillotine servo, etc., on ACNC is a PITA.
    3) Move away from servos, or use higher quality parts.

Software:
    1) Create a partner developer community to assist with software development. (Not necessarily fully open source, but rather a private repo where select individuals can contribute to bug fixes, a Spooky curated list of features, etc.)

Errata:
    1) Lock down bars felt "cheap"/sloppy on ACNC and TNA. Hard to engage lock and/or lots of movement OOB. Whereas on JJP and Stern they work well/feel nice OOB.
    2) Sharp edges on some exposed parts, like armor, etc.. Haven't noticed this on other manufacturers.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

1) Lock down bars felt "cheap"/sloppy on ACNC and TNA.

I do not / have not had this issue with my ACNC at all. Mine's solid, sturdy, and tight.

#31 3 years ago

I wish you made and sold banners like Stern does. Same size and format. I’d love to add a TNA banner to my game room.

#32 3 years ago

I agree on EOS switches. It also lets you pulse the hold coil at a lower duty cycle to reduce heat.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

I like the idea for a manual but maybe just put it online and we could download it. I would love to have a manual for my Rob Zombie.

It should be in 8.5" x 11" format NOT 11" x 17" like ACNC is. Costs too much to print out at Fedex Office because I don't have a printer that does 11" x 17" paper. The only thing that should ever be 11" x 17" format is schematic wiring diagrams. Look at how the Williams 1990s manuals are put together. Now *those* are manuals the way they should be! They give the "on location" service tech everything he needs to know including part numbers if something needs to be replaced.

#34 3 years ago

This isn’t so much about the quality, but I think you have a good opportunity to carve out a niche in the hobby. Stern and JJP are doing the big pop culture themes, which are kind of boring. By continuing to take cult classic themes like Rick and Morty, and keeping the batches small, a lot of interest is created. Spooky could be the boutique pinball company that is actually reliable!

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I agree on EOS switches. It also lets you pulse the hold coil at a lower duty cycle to reduce heat.

They are already back in Rick and Morty and all games beyond.

You should put foam behind your targets. (inside joke).

Reading all of these comments people... thank you for suggestions! Many of these are done or in the works already.

#36 3 years ago

Get rid of that carpet!

#37 3 years ago

Could you finish the Domino's code? Pretty Please?

#38 3 years ago

Not necessarily Spooky specific, but consider adding a "DMCA Friendly" sound option that allows streamers/video makers to hear callouts etc, but not play sounds that will get them shut down.

Allow people to easily add/change modes and rules to your games. Right now, every other pin maker is a closed system. I think there's an opportunity to be something more open.

I doubt either of these things generate much, if any, new revenue, but hey.

#39 3 years ago

Make more TNA please.

#40 3 years ago

Make Bible Adventures!

#41 3 years ago

A pinball company seeking constructive criticism and suggestions from their client base?
    Well done Spooky, well done.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

Make more TNA please.

You're in luck, they will be making a TNA 2.0.

#43 3 years ago

Cmon Charlie your the only one who can do it right !!

10010340-FB62-41DB-AC4C-6FAB954C2688 (resized).jpeg10010340-FB62-41DB-AC4C-6FAB954C2688 (resized).jpeg5AF2C487-8165-416F-A4A4-D7A3DBBE2E99 (resized).jpeg5AF2C487-8165-416F-A4A4-D7A3DBBE2E99 (resized).jpeg7E8EC24E-A417-4C62-92AE-7264FB299CDB (resized).jpeg7E8EC24E-A417-4C62-92AE-7264FB299CDB (resized).jpegD926CDFE-AAE5-4732-BDB6-C54C18AF8C7C (resized).jpegD926CDFE-AAE5-4732-BDB6-C54C18AF8C7C (resized).jpeg
    #44 3 years ago

you can resize the ACNC manual to 8.5 x 11 with your pdf writer. Here is an 8.5x11 pdf of the ACNC manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HzIOO67qk1F188w4EnL9Qmr7zKttEuBJ/view?usp=sharing

Quoted from KenLayton:

It should be in 8.5" x 11" format NOT 11" x 17" like ACNC is. Costs too much to print out at Fedex Office because I don't have a printer that does 11" x 17" paper. The only thing that should ever be 11" x 17" format is schematic wiring diagrams. Look at how the Williams 1990s manuals are put together. Now *those* are manuals the way they should be! They give the "on location" service tech everything he needs to know including part numbers if something needs to be replaced.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from BrewinBombers:

Not necessarily Spooky specific, but consider adding a "DMCA Friendly" sound option that allows streamers/video makers to hear callouts etc, but not play sounds that will get them shut down.
    Allow people to easily add/change modes and rules to your games. Right now, every other pin maker is a closed system. I think there's an opportunity to be something more open.
    I doubt either of these things generate much, if any, new revenue, but hey.

You'd have to change the video/animations too. At least for R&M. DeadFlip apparently got striked on twitch for streaming it. Had to go have spooky talk to cartoon network to get it removed.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

You're in luck, they will be making a TNA 2.0.

Interesting, I must've missed this and don't see anything on their site. Is it just more TNAs or are there differences? Timeline?

#47 3 years ago

I forget why wasn't it possible to get a spare cpu board for TNA? Are they hard to come by.
    Appreciate the person who made the drive transistor chart, that was helpful. a pinout for the backbox boards would be cool.

I also second that other comment, I'm not a big fan of the hot glue.
    the post rubbers in that game weren't that great, they fell apart really fast. All the other rubbers were awesome though.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

you can resize the ACNC manual to 8.5 x 11 with your pdf writer.

thanks .. Access requested from my gmail account

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Interesting, I must've missed this and don't see anything on their site. Is it just more TNAs or are there differences?

It was in Charlie's interview with Franchi around Halloween. Same game with some slight tweaks, but none that change the rules/layout. Reading between the lines, it sounds like after R&M and before the next game rolls out.

#50 3 years ago

sorry changed it to public so all can access.

Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

thanks .. Access requested from my gmail account

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-pinball-suggestion-box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.