(Topic ID: 297852)

Spooky Pinball - parts, reliability and longevity ????

By barakawins

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Coindork
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210731_200346 (resized).jpg
    20210731_200133 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi all,

I'm thinking about purchasing a spooky pin. However, I'm concerned with parts availability when a game does down, how reliable these games are out in the wild and overall longevity of these machines. I've heard parts take a while to come in and they tend to go down a lot on route. Please share your experiences as to how you view these machines?

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from barakawins:

how you view these machines?

I don't own one.

Looking at pictures of the underside of the playfields on the IPDB. Looks like things like flippers and ball trough, etc. Are basic Williams design used by CGC, JJP, and AP.

So those parts should be good.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Brought my Rick And Morty to pinfest and put it on Freeplay. 519 games in 2 days being played non stop. Only broken part was a .79 cent drop target spring. Aftermarket rubbers got eaten up a bit too. No complaints from anyone on the game.

20210731_200133 (resized).jpg20210731_200133 (resized).jpg20210731_200346 (resized).jpg20210731_200346 (resized).jpg
    #4 2 years ago

This is great news!! I wonder how the games are long term though..

#5 2 years ago

Playfields are excellent...the most important thing...

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from monkfe:

Yes... I noticed playfields were excellent which is good. How about the cost of board replacement, cost, availability and lag time in obtaining parts?

#7 2 years ago

Ultraman will be my first game. But if you read any threads about spooky, you’ll read time and time again about how those guys are taking care of their customers. Late night direct support, shipping free replacement stuff when it’s obvious owners faults on blowing stuff up, etc. as of now, spooky is still boutique and cares about what they are doing. Speaking for myself…not worried.

#8 2 years ago

For what it’s worth, I recently broke a plastic on my Rob Zombie and they still had the replacement part.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from monkfe:

The best in the industry, hands down.

#10 2 years ago

Their support is freakin' top notch, too.

#11 2 years ago

Depends on what game it is. R&M will probably need the plastic hinge for the spaceship replaced eventually which Pinball Life has. ACNC had some servo motors fail but pretty sure replacements are available. Ultraman and Halloween are too new to know if anything will fail. Nothing major to be concerned about when other manufactures have similar or worse problems like playfield issues.

#12 2 years ago

The best!!

#13 2 years ago

Spooky games were here before man and will be around long after we are gone.

#14 2 years ago

TNA owner here. No problems, glad to have it.

#15 2 years ago

I'm curious about the first two Spooky games using the PinHeck board (AMH and RZ). Are there schematics available? Is the PinHeck main board repairable and/or replaceable? Are there proprietary parts on it?

I'd love to own those games but can't find much info about main board reliability and repair.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

Ultraman will be my first game. But if you read any threads about spooky, you’ll read time and time again about how those guys are taking care of their customers. Late night direct support, shipping free replacement stuff when it’s obvious owners faults on blowing stuff up, etc. as of now, spooky is still boutique and cares about what they are doing. Speaking for myself…not worried.

On that note, I experienced that this weekend. On Saturday morning when I turned on Rick and Morty at Pinfest, the right drop target wasn't working right because the spring broke. I emailed spooky support asking about the correct size spring and got a message back from Spooky within 20 minutes... at 8 a.m. on a Saturday. They told me to ask the Spooky guys at the show, and they hooked me up and ordered some new parts for me to be delivered this week, no charge.

#17 2 years ago

excellent result Sataneatscheese

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

On that note, I experienced that this weekend. On Saturday morning when I turned on Rick and Morty at Pinfest, the right drop target wasn't working right because the spring broke. I emailed spooky support asking about the correct size spring and got a message back from Spooky within 20 minutes... at 8 a.m. on a Saturday. They told me to ask the Spooky guys at the show, and they hooked me up and ordered some new parts for me to be delivered this week, no charge.

That's awesome that they did that for you. Were you able to find a spring at a vendor table to get the game back up for attendees?

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

That's awesome that they did that for you. Were you able to find a spring at a vendor table to get the game back up for attendees?

Yeppers.

I bought about $3 worth of spings at random from a vendor and one worked. I'm getting the correct one in the mail this week.

Also of note, from a fault tolerance point of view the game would still play fine without the spring, you just couldn't lock two balls in the inner loop. I am assuming the spring busted sometime on Friday and no-one noticed as the game is fault tolerant.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinball4ever:

I'm curious about the first two Spooky games using the PinHeck board (AMH and RZ). Are there schematics available? Is the PinHeck main board repairable and/or replaceable? Are there proprietary parts on it?
    I'd love to own those games but can't find much info about main board reliability and repair.

Schematics and even board design files are available.
    https://github.com/LonghornEngineer/Pinheck_Pinball_System/tree/master/Hardware/Pinheck%20Main%20Board

One thing of note is that there was a board revision between AMH and RZ. Ben did mention the possibility of making AMH run on the RZ board, at Charlie's request, if I remember correctly.

#21 2 years ago

Didn't Domino's and the Jetsons also use that board system?

#22 2 years ago

I did a playfield swap on my AMH not too long ago. I needed a couple parts, some specific to the game, and they were able to get them to me without issue. Love working with Spooky!

#23 2 years ago

Thread is getting better and better. Please share more.

#24 2 years ago

I have never owned a spooky machine so I cannot comment on any of their service etc.... I can say when I played Ultraman at the show and did have a nice conversation with Luke and Bug and these guys seem so genuine and great for the hobby. So much so that I'm glad I had pre-ordered a HWN CE and as of yesterday also purchased a NIB R&M BSE.

I really look forward to supporting them in the hobby that way I hear they support us. BTW their playfield was stunning, and the feel of the game was solid.

#25 2 years ago

I have a AMH (on route at a collective), have owned Domino's and TNA and have routed them, and have a Ultraman on order. AMH being the oldest I have had to replace the servos and a couple fuses. The game seems great at disabling it's self when an issue or fuse goes so that it doesn't cause more damage. Neither Domino's or TNA had any major issues while on route. Looking forward to Ultraman.

1 month later
    #26 2 years ago

AMH and TNA only minor issues. ACNC is another sorry. Game always has something going on!! OMG so painful. Looks
    Good though I can tell you that. Art work basically!

#27 2 years ago

I'm an original Rob Zombie's Spookshow International owner. I put my deposit down back in December of 2015. My only issues have been a broken flipper spring, and I have had to re-solder a loose wire on a couple of coils. I called Spooky about the spring, hoping to get the size/part number so I could order a replacement from Pinball Life. Charlie answered and had the replacement at my door in a couple of days. He refused to let me pay for it.

I did blow a fuse on the PinHeck board early on. I was never sure what caused it. I suspect it was software. The early builds were a little raw. It's never happened again.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from calprog:

AMH and TNA only minor issues. ACNC is another sorry. Game always has something going on!! OMG so painful. Looks
    Good though I can tell you that. Art work basically!

Ya, I love ACNC as a piece of art alone, probably one of the most beautiful pins I've ever seen, both the playfield design and cab, but it's been fairly problematic for me.

It's often been one step forward one back. Had to tweak the Frankenstein servo a good amount to get it to register locked balls, and then also the diverter switch in it. I traced the latter back to the lab lock 2 drop target was sticking causing the diverter not to fire

The magnet worked very well initially and then consistently threw the ball down into the through, throughout the first few code updates I tried some of the suggested adjustments in software to no positive change. I recently updated to the latest software and knock on wood it worked well again a few times. I haven't gotten any additional parts like the commonly used disc, just working with the out of box.

Last and probably most annoying is the scoop vuc has been wildly inconsistent from day 1; sometimes firing to the right flipper, sometimes to the left, and sometimes straight down the middle. This one is especially irritating with how integral it is to to the game.

To be fair I really need to get around to spending some time getting the game dialed in and I haven't reached out to spooky, but out of the box I've never had it all working 100% at any given time. I'm hoping that Halloween is a bit smoother initially, I have an early number preordered

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

I'm an original Rob Zombie's Spookshow International owner. I put my deposit down back in December of 2015. My only issues have been a broken flipper spring, and I have had to re-solder a loose wire on a couple of coils. I called Spooky about the spring, hoping to get the size/part number so I could order a replacement from Pinball Life. Charlie answered and had the replacement at my door in a couple of days. He refused to let me pay for it.
    I did blow a fuse on the PinHeck board early on. I was never sure what caused it. I suspect it was software. The early builds were a little raw. It's never happened again.

Rob Zombie was our first Spooky as well.
    I was having issues with the servo for Captain Spaulding.
    Ran into Charlie and KT and was chatting with them at TPF a few years back and told him about it. He reached down into his parts box and handed my a new servo.
    I offered to pay for it and he refused to take my money. Said he was just happy that we liked the machine and thanked us for supporting his company.
    My wife and we’re playing the crap out of RZ during the pandemic when we were stuck at home. She nailed the pop bumper with an air ball and busted the plastic on it. I hit up Charlie to see if he had a replacement and he sent it out to me for free.
    I’m a customer for life……
    I currently own Rob Zombie, Dominos, Alice Cooper as well as Rick and Morty.
    When Spooky announced Halloween and Ultraman we ordered both because we couldn’t decide.
    I’m pretty well onboard for whatever they come out with going forward and want to support whatever they do as a company.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-pinball-parts-reliability-and-longevity-?hl=obed_marsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.