5FD92BFD-5474-499C-80E2-94F7706DD8B3 (resized).jpeg
BDE82F91-513F-4D7D-A545-66B29EB0122A (resized).jpeg
9CF3561A-630B-45FF-8ABB-FEF2017C0FEF (resized).jpeg
ef13dad8c5d55f656a8e28a6f59e4a50abffcfcb (resized).png
BG01 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Announcement from Spooky via Pinside User Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #81 Ben Heck confirming theme is not The Munsters Posted by benheck (7 years ago)

Post #789 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SpookyCharlie (6 years ago)

Post #1998 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Pinbaltz (5 years ago)

Post #2755 ruleset Posted by Medisinyl (5 years ago)

Post #3365 Jack Danger stream date confirmed. Posted by SpookyCharlie (5 years ago)

Post #3970 Factory photos Posted by SpookyCharlie (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spookycharlie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#294 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

SPOOKY MEATLOAF CONFIRMED?????

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Jim Steinman is already in song game development... there will be a mountain top with a dream and a thing, and a fire down in the valley below.

Don't make Ben and I beat ya'll over the head with why Meat Loaf is possibly the best idea for a game ever. We'll do it!

#297 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Watch this video and tell me a LOAF pin wouldn't make all the stadiums rock

Indiana Jones completely ripped off the Loaf... little known fact. That's how influential Meat is.

3 months later
#789 6 years ago

TPF has been nuts... what a great show!

Not gonna have time today to answer questions, so just let me say we are NOT making this a typical "rock game". Alice is a visual theatrical performer, and a great character you can take anywhere (much like Elvira). As the title suggests, this isn't going to be a "collect a guitar, go on tour" kinda vibe.

Everything across the board is being improved and being made more reliable... more than I can begin to talk about here.

We'll never make everyone happy.... we get better with each game and I think you'll see that big time with Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle. We appreciate everyone who helps support this family run looney bin.

Keep your money in your pocket. We'll show the game before we take a dime. A charity function tie in with Alice today kind of drove us to make the announcement last night, so now you know it's coming.

Tons of work to do... 1 more day of TPF!

5 months later
#947 6 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

images from the Sept/October issue of the Rue Morgue Magazine.

Wondered when that would get noticed!

Soooo much goodness coming from this game. People can speculate all they want about an "Alice Cooper" game and what that means, but ... wait until you see & play it!

All I'm saying for now. Have fun people!

4 months later
#1072 6 years ago
Quoted from LonghornEngineer:

Prototype PinHeck REV8 EOTL HD PCBs arrive

Ship it! Take orders for game # 7.

Parker and people smarter than me kicking butt as usual. Soooo much goodness to come this year!

#1093 6 years ago

SMT placement done on the prototypes. PTH should be done by tomorrow then preliminary testing.

Let me count a few things on that board... YEP! Used em' all!

#1097 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

So many revisions!

3 games made here use the same exact board... only AMH and AC will be different. All a part of it, and no different than Stern using SAM, Spike, Spike 2, etc.

#1107 6 years ago

to prevent another incident.

And I just got an email from China asking if I wanted to buy that game... I mean, "incident". Lol!!! You have to laugh or you will cry.

Both board sets are perfectly fine. We respect the hell out of Gerry and P-ROC and we're proud to have a production game on his system!

We're also proud of all the hard work that goes in the PinHeck system. Both are very capable, and both have their merits.

On the bright side, apparently what we've shown on Alice so far is good because we're down to debating the board that drives it!

Go play some TnA. Life is good!

#1113 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

17 ramps?!?!?!??!?!?

Lol... running joke from Dead Flip. We had to cost out 2 of them.

#1118 6 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

it takes passion, dedication, and the willingness to work amazingly hard for little to no compensation to get through the foundational work required to build a company and/or products in this industry.

And the TWIPY award for best phrased harsh reality of pinball winner is....

Only way to know is to be here doing all this... and I don't recommend that to anyone. It's not good for your mental or physical health. Yet, here we are, and still thrilled to be doing what we do!

#1125 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You're saving pennies - literal pennies, a IRF540 is like 5 cents in bulk.

Hi... I would like to order 10,000 of your .05 cent mosfets please.

You'd have to work here and see exactly why we make the decisions we do. It's not a matter of a few pennies, and nothing I will talk about in a public forum.

Quoted from Allibaster:

I wish Spooky would follow TNA’s production numbers method instead of limiting the run to 500

Year 1 - Start up year, didn't make a dime.
Year 2 - AMH slowly started selling... made 150 units.
Year 3 - Sold 300 RZ, moved to new shop to handle it.
Year 4 - We built over 400 units.
Year 5 - This year, shooting for over 500 units.

It's all a natural progression. None of this comes easy, and you can only build so fast at our level... last thing I want is people waiting 2 years for a game.

#1130 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You’re right, they’re not 5 cents, they’re only a penny.

And tack on the inflated shipping fees they tag you with... plus you only get them for a penny when you buy 10,000,000! Lol... that's a lot of pennies.

#1136 6 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Spooky is making sure they can produce a set number of games within the timeframe allowed by the license holder .

Yep! All part of it.

And Spooky has never sold more than 300 of anything before... although TnA will crack that mark, and we have a feeling ACNC will do just fine!

All good problems to face. Happy to be here!

#1204 6 years ago

I was ready to bail on Pinside forever... then Bryan leaked the pancake picture.

How dare you sir! A ramp would ruin the flow of the pancake to the plate. You clearly are a dip s**t who knows nothing about pancake machines. Bro, do you even pancake?!

I love pancakes far more than you... that's how I know a good one when I see it. You should go back to eating your lame a** waffles old dude.

And don't even get me started on those arse hats with the blueberries in the mix.

#1214 6 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The size of pancakes coming out of that machine is above average for a pancake making machine.

Just did some research and learned something more... if you press the button more than once, YOU GET MULTIPLE PANCAKES!!! As in, they just come out 1 after the other.

I'm going back to the Holiday Inn first thing in the morning. 2 hour drive, but totally worth it.

And Bryan Kelly thought his cheese pump was awesome. This might be the best thing since the Flavorwave!!!

1 month later
#1884 5 years ago

Just a quick note... busy doesn't cover life here right now.

Yes, Alice's song is "I Love the Dead". Thanks Ben!

16 songs, 10 of which are Alice songs THAT MUST BE EARNED! It's not a jukebox game, you won't get abused by them over and over.

We'll get some game play video out there asap, but before the 26th for sure. Jack Danger will come stream as soon as we get the code up to speed so there is enough mode play to give an accurate representation.

Price is in fact $6,450... hope the full RGB makes up for the $200 bump, but is what it is.

If you aren't sure on your purchase... hold off. I doubt 500 games will sell immediately, although anything is possible. Previous Spooky buyers will get bumped up, all orders will be open at once to everyone. Trying to do Spooky customers / then new buyers got VERY chaotic in the past. This is why we took zero sales at TPF. DON'T BUY IF YOU AREN'T CONFIDENT! Spooky does everything we can to keep prices in check, and we have never shorted a single person a game. That's not about to change. Quality gets better every day, and we're doing all we can to keep the improvements rolling.

Rob Zombie is not going to HD ever... at least by us. People forget it was the 1st "free color display" (we didn't even raise the price a dime over AMH with the color screen or license). Short lived victory when Stern leaped over us with HD 10 minutes later. Code will get a final bug squash update, but it's time to move on. There is a mountain of content in that game so we hope you enjoy it.

We put everything we possibly could into this game, and we hope that shows... great team effort to say the least. We'll be at MGC with the game in a few weeks and hope to see you there!

#1887 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

TNA and ACNC both ooze a level of quality and finish that blow them away

It wasn't an accident... we have busted our collective a**es to get EVERYTHING better.

Thanks for noticing.

8 a.m Central time on the 26th will be the official sales launch time... putting together all the distributor info the next couple days so we don't screw this up any more than can be avoided.

#1904 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

As far as fast furious and brutal almost everything will seem like a step or two down when compared to TNA .

Nailed it! TnA is in a class by itself in this department and always will be. Alice is a whole different animal. No game is ever going to make everyone 100% happy. Plenty of flow in this game, and vast majority of 11 shots return to the flippers.

Quoted from swampfire:

It would be cool if the shipping container looked like this. Just replace “Muscle of Love” with “Nightmare Castle”.

Completely stealing this idea!!! Lol.

#1907 5 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

what is the expected shipping time frame of these(if planned schedule works out without delays) Is it planned to have any additional add-ons that can be bought and added at factory? Side decals, glass, lit mods, etc?

All coming soon... hoping to get that all together tomorrow while the shop is quiet. Inspecting a pile of TnA's today.

#1915 5 years ago

Putting together the email blast stuff... thought I'd be nice and toss these out.

Mmmmmm..... butter.

I always say you don't need the butter, but on this art package. Holy man is it awesome!

Speaker grills are a temporary thing. Working on another design.

20180323_121622 (resized).jpg20180323_121622 (resized).jpg

20180323_121631 (resized).jpg20180323_121631 (resized).jpg

20180323_121636 (resized).jpg20180323_121636 (resized).jpg

20180323_121652 (resized).jpg20180323_121652 (resized).jpg

#2042 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

The "butter" option price for a print is 10 bucks extra for one side for my home made MC.
So 1000 buck extra no way.

Please give me the name of the guy who can direct print 5 panels straight to wood and do 2 layers of auto clear coat for $10 extra... would love to hire him today.

We can't even laminate the standard decals for $10 extra.

I do apologize for not getting more game play video out there... the board switch over ate a ton of time and well, deadlines have to be met. If you aren't confident, don't purchase... no worries. With a little luck it will get to MGC and a Jack Danger stream before it sells out.

Games are moving fast!!! That much I know. Back to work... we want TnA to get as caught up as possible prior to Alice shipping.

#2046 5 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

I sent my order in via email @ 9EST . Should I expect KT to contact me for the deposit payment sometime soon?

She's getting caught up (not really! Lol) but as long as you sent her the email reply with options, etc... good to go! Email holds your spot in line just fine.

#2049 5 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Forgot my plastic protector option and DBA coindoor! I’ll still wait for KT to contact me for the deposit so she doesn’t get ANOTHER email in her inbox to really confuse things

Good call... and we can always add the extras in later.

#2062 5 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

In for 1 but I feel it's going to be forever to get this rolled out the door. They are already taking in more TNA orders than can be cranked out (the game is fricken amazing IMO), so unless there's a massive ramp-up in production, I don't see TNA getting off the line anywhere in the next 8-10 months at LEAST. Going to be a good wait though.

We're bumping up to 25 games every 2 weeks to help get the flow going better, but you're not wrong. It's going to be every bit of 18 months to build all 500 Alice games.

We said 18 months to build 300 RZ games and beat it by 2 months. I hope we can duplicate that on this game as well!

Good problems to have as a growing company, but yep... still a problem. We'll get there.

#2068 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'm more a sucker for the "songs in your face" jukebox approach.

#1 complaint we heard when we announced this title... "we don't want yet another music game!".

Just trying to do something completely unique from everything else out there. Totally get it... it's a fine line (and impossible task) to make everyone happy.

With all the games out there now, variety is good! Something for everyone.

#2069 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

We're already off to a great start this morning at Nitro!

Tommy and crew are great people!!! Glad to have them on team Spooky.

#2072 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

As you say, variety is good.

All good sir. Games are moving crazy fast!!! Gonna be another good day here. Thanks everyone for the support!

#2080 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Having Bowen do one of his "PAPA Tutorial" style videos

In due time... the code is a bit shy of Bowen levels right now with the board switch. Working hard on that now.

#2109 5 years ago

Been quite the day to say the least. By far the biggest sales day here ever!

Thanks everyone for the patience and support of Spooky Pinball.

#2228 5 years ago

We're being a bit quiet on purpose.

See you all at MGC!

#2284 5 years ago

Terry at PBL and I absolutely LOVE the Shep documentary... I know I've seen it at least 4 times! Got his signature on the contract for the Alice game and I kinda fan-boyed out. Lol.

Shep just recently requested an Alice game for his home, and I couldn't have been more honored to say yes! He and Alice both have been very kind to us to get all this done, and we owe them a lot.

This is exactly how every business dealing should go... but rarely the case. Proud to be associated even once with Shep & Alice.

1 week later
#2374 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Here will be my man cave background for ACNC.

This.... is damn AWESOME!!! Yeah, we might be related?! Apparently we have the same decorating style.

Here's me being 100% honest, and I really hope that stays a habit. We're cranking as hard as possible while TnA continues to sell VERY well to get as many out as possible. With only 500 Alice Cooper games to go around, the emphasis to push sales becomes less every day. We WANT it to make it to a couple more shows to get played, so it gets to people who are genuinely going to enjoy the game and what we've done with it. Pushing to start June production as we stated, and 18 months from start to finish.

TnA is our biggest selling game to date, and Alice Cooper holds the single day sales record here BY A LONG SHOT! Enough said for now...

Bowen and Fawzma will be at MGC this weekend going over code / rules even more... and yep, code is still behind due to the board switch but has MUCH more content than it did at TPF.

Scott keeps making TnA more awesome, and ... ?! How does he do that????!!!! Great days at Spooky.

See you all at MGC!!! Really looking forward to the show. We'll have 2 Alice Cooper games and 3 TnA's in our booth (counting Scott's whitewood game).

#2378 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

any chance they will be on 2 or 3 ball?

At least 2... 3 if the lines aren't crazy.

1 week later
#2526 5 years ago

In the words of Aaron Rodgers, R-E-L-A-X...

Adding targets absolutely everywhere isn't cost effective, or logical. This game is BY FAR the most expensive thing we've ever built... if you want 5 easy shots, those games are out there in abundance. We'll be making some small changes to help this a bit, but ... in the words of the King, play better?! Lol.

The smallest targets we can get ARE WIDER THAN THE NARROW POSTS WE USE! This would make the game even harder. More targets also means more inserts, more switch boards, more engineering, more art changes, more re-approvals... not as easy as it sounds in a pinball forum, or remotely cost effective. We have to make tough decisions on where to put the $$$ in every game we do.

You've got 4 ramp shots, 11 shots total, 2 completely cool and unique toys, a literal MOUNTAIN of cool castle parts, the biggest subway in years, a wild and wicked magnet save, and a whole lot of goodness in here. If that doesn't get you excited, then this game probably isn't for you.

Right now we've only got 1 voice in the game with little work done to any of it... remember we switched systems just a short time ago? Not going to have this flooded with monster growls, werewolves, Igor, and Alice all jacked up in a month.

We are intentionally NOT saying numbers at this stage in the hopes that more of you CAN see and play it for yourselves. Best we can do at this stage.

Tons of work to do yet... Fawzma and Bowen are working well together, we have 2 hit games on our hands, and what more can we ask for?

#2530 5 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

I think most of us on this thread are just excited about the new spooky machine. I love it and want to see it be the best it can be for us but mainly for you Charlie.

So are we!!! I'm already happy... we're just trying to make our customers happy and get this game awesome! I think we're pretty close.

I'm also fairly exhausted. Lol... pinball is HARD! Really hard. It's also really worth it.

Back to work... got a pile of TnA's to inspect.

#2547 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

not all of the posts on AC are as narrow as others.

Yeah... and you didn't work here 6 months ago when those 2 posts and associated rubbers for the side to side bounce / mech protection got absolutely destroyed every other week on the whitewood. They also aren't sitting in the sweet spot for an orbit, ramp, or anything super critical to game play. The scoop shot can be hit from either flipper fairly simply, and the smart drops can be as well.

Narrowing up an existing target is a simple thing to do... adding it and all the associated items I described previously is completely different.

A hard shot to hit isn't a "FLAW"... it just means it's a hard shot to hit. If every game was easy to shoot and all the shots were wide open, not much fun in that.

I played the daylights out of Houdini at MGC, and genuinely enjoyed it. Played Maiden, and congratulated Keith on a great game. Alice was there and won best new game. All 3 games couldn't be more different from each other, and that's a GREAT thing.

#2549 5 years ago

You know far better than I about pin design.

Lol.... I'm far from perfect and certainly not where I want to be yet, but we did bring in help on this game from far better players than I to refine and smooth out everything the best we could.

I'm going to get back to work and tune out for a while. Better for the sanity.

#2568 5 years ago

I love how a video WE DIDN'T MAKE, put out, didn't authorize, didn't have anything to do with, of people playing pretty badly, automatically gets a handful of people all worked up.

We're intentionally staying quiet on how many are already sold in the hopes that people can see & play this at a few more shows to judge for themselves before it sells out (and it will).

If you don't think this game is for you... simple. Don't buy it. We want the people that do buy to enjoy it for what it is.

Never going to make everyone happy. Ever. I'm going to do something far more productive than being on Pinside.

#2570 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

dont worry about it Charlie.

I worry about everything... but thanks! We do appreciate it.

Ever get worked up over on-line bickering, then get 2 potentially life changing emails back to back in 5 minutes that turns your whole brain inside out in all the right ways?!?!

Hello Karma! Being nice and having patience pays off.

#2577 5 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

1.) a list of upcoming shows the game is planned to be at. (Id really like to play this game)

2.) Call up deadflip soon and lets see this badboy.

It's going to MI this weekend, and Allentown shortly after... then Southern Fried Gameroom Expo in June.

It's going to have the same code that we're not thrilled with this weekend... then will get a nice update before Allentown.

Working on Mr. Danger, but again... code coming soon. We can put a 50 foot neon sign above the game that says "CODE NOT DONE" ... but that tends to not sink in with people no matter what. Truth.

All in due time.

#2589 5 years ago

Here's the problem I have with all this... 1 guy (who is actually a friend of ours who I'm going to kick in the shin) plays badly on a video, and suddenly "the shots are flawed". Playing badly is also NOT going to get Alice "animated" as he directs you around the castle, so "the speech sucks".

A handful of people latch on to these "flaws" and it becomes gospel... which means we get emails of people freaking out for no reason on code this fresh and new on a game that has been to 2 shows.

This effects real people in a real way here.

Just show some patience... Bowen will have a game the day Allentown ends. We'll get some proper video and explanation... hell, half the rules are still being adjusted on the fly as Bowen becomes more involved. He's worked here less than a month.

In a perfect world we'd have time to sit on games and get code perfect before anyone sees them. I hope someday we can make that happen... but not an option right now.

Peace out! Leaving Pinside for a while.

1 week later
#2726 5 years ago

They must have had a shit load of orders that first day.

Spooky single day sales record... like not even close!

We genuinely sat on #'s for a while because we WANT you to see, play, and judge for yourself if at all possible. Allentown, hopefully Golden State too, then SFGE in June.

There will be a big code update coming for Allentown show, and a HUGE update to follow in June around shipping time.

All good things!

1 week later
#2849 5 years ago

We cranked the flipper power up after MGC... super snappy, so it had to be a voltage draw issue at the show. It was hitting plenty hard here all week prior to the show.

Bowen took that game home, so patience on the video stuff. He just got it!

#2857 5 years ago

We even use a large capacitor / conditioner board to keep the coils robust at all times... we just can't compensate for all show conditions.

Is what it is. Stop by the shop and play it!

#2859 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Just an FYI: The TNA nearby was performing amazingly and defeating all that dare to challenge the reactors

As nature and Scott intended!

3 weeks later
#3022 5 years ago

Update:

We will ship some ACNC games in June.

We will ship all 500 ACNC games in 18 months.

We will continue to sell and produce TnA at the same time. (3rd time we've had 2 games on the line together)

Bryan Kelly (who uses his real name every day) does not own Pinball Life. I was there yesterday.

We got all new print gear, a warehouse we built and paid for last fall, and a bigger shop than ours across the road to assist / expand as much as we need that will be done in few weeks. Here's a photo out our front door of said facility for fun...

Nothing has changed folks... except we have new employees helping us grow and our summer help is back.

Speculate all you want. We make games, not drama. Hope it always stays that way.

000_0131 (resized).JPG000_0131 (resized).JPG
#3025 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm confused. Whats Bryan Kelly's real name?

I think it's "Bryan Kelly"... but he usually gets called far worse Kim.

#3031 5 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

How are people who know nothing supposed to micro analyze your business and keep telling us bad things if you screw it up by constantly doing what you say and then shipping the games you promise people?

Lol... give it 5 minutes, something else will pop up to speculate or complain on. It's Pinside!

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Dude!! We had lunch. You, me and my wife Margaret.

I did have lunch, but it was in a truck at 70 mph on the way back from that place you dreamed of owning. Move to Benton and I'll make you the QC guy for .04% of the company and no pay checks so I don't screw up your retirement!

Bryan is retired. Did we mention he's retired?

#3037 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Do you guys even have a factory?

I'm just wondering why we had to pay for a lawn when this lot was pretty green to begin with from the looks of that photo!

Bryan is retired. He says that almost more than Lionm*n.

#3038 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

you will see how close spooky is to being on 'easy street'.

Lol... if it helps, the mailing address of the shop across the road is on "Easy Street"... we are still on the corner of Ridge Ave. and Pinball is Hard Blvd.

I gotta go clear a pile of TnA's... you guys have fun in here and be good to each other!

#3069 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Wow, I am now a music fan of Matt Montgomery.

Check out his band with Ash Costello... The Haxans! Great stuff.

#3076 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Ha! Look what I found when I Googled information about Ash Costello and the Haxan's.

Lol... and she is too! Fantastic singer and very versatile. Plus she's all goth spooky and cool as hell.

The Haxans and Alice Cooper seriously put out 2 of the best records of the last year in my opinion. Paranormal is freakin' VERY well done, and so is Party Monsters.

Lucky to know these people. Life is damn good stuff!

2 weeks later
#3166 5 years ago

Watch our FB page this weekend... might be some fun stuff happening with this.

The blue you've seen on the powdercoat was the correct color, it just wasn't applied as nice as we'd like back in March for TPF debut. New equipment, new ... everything! All the powder is going to be done here in Benton going forward. Same with ramps, metals, etc etc etc.

Hang tight folks. Going to be a long haul but we'll get there! Will be plenty of visuals, videos, and updates asap. Doing our best!

#3170 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Side note...an ACNC pin would look pretty darn nice in my basement...

Right next to the TnA!

Can't wait to get my own games back in my own basement soon!

3 weeks later
#3271 5 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Someone stream this damn thing properly!

Coming.... sorting out a date Jack Danger can get here asap.

1st day he's available, it's on. For now, staying quiet gives others a chance to get in and we have zero problem with that. 1st game left for the R&RHoF in June, production parts here, 3 new employees getting up to speed, code is getting better every day.

Rock on.

1 week later
#3365 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

being off 5-6 additional months on top of an original delivery estimate of only 3-4 months [oct'17-jan/feb'18] appears to be a pretty big miss. ~150% increase in wait time, with similar misses expected for every customer who ordered around that same time and was told the same thing, as well.

Please come here and work for a few weeks so you can see exactly what is going on. Or better yet, just stop wondering all together. It's fairly pointless speculation.

I think you'll see later customers getting games on time or even quicker. Early production numbers are skewed due to high profile operator games, overseas games, butter cabinet games, employees coming / going, etc etc etc. It all balances out in the end.

There seriously has to be something better to do with peoples time that sit around and wonder on a game that is in fact, being delivered daily. I cleared 18 for shipment last week, will clear another dozen this week. Those numbers vary all the time.

So far, our promised / shipped game rate on all previous titles is right about 100%. That's not about to change. We even managed to complete them all in the time frames we promised or quicker. Will that trend continue? Time will tell... but THEY WILL ALL SHIP. That I promise.

Jack Danger will be here on the 30th to stream Alice... might even have another big name pinball guy here that night too.

Go enjoy the day!

#3371 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I’m in. #413...so just in. Not worried a bit. Spooky is a company of their word...history has shown this.

THANK YOU!!! We appreciate when people notice these things.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Here's a pic of a couple huge Alice Cooper fans.

Yep... Liked him 30 years ago, still do now. Oh, and same for the girl in the photo.

#3372 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think we need to lighten up the mood around here.

You know what really sucks? When you find this stuff while moving (we are now)... and your smart a** son says "Whoa dad, you used to be an ok looking guy".

Just wait kid. Heredity will catch up to you.

And where the **** was Bryan Kelly when we ripped apart a 16 foot ball bowler this morning and hauled it across Benton?!??

#3376 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Had my prunes for breakfast. Took a nap. Pooped for the third time. Took another nap. Pooped the prunes out.

You know....the usual.

Genuinely didn't need to know that.

I also don't remember owning suspenders. I do remember having hair. Vaguely.

1 week later
#3554 5 years ago

Was a bit rough... no doubts there. Last second code update was a mistake, and 1 loose flipper switch screw caused the issue. Sad, but we'll get past it.

Big thanks to Jack Danger, Domiono's Pizza (Adam!), Bowen, and all our Aussie guests for coming over.

Happy that Jack is blowing up the game right now!!!

#3558 5 years ago

Holy CRAP did Bowen just tear it up!!!!

#3612 5 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

What is the ETA for "round 2"?

2 weeks....

Sorry guys, it was my decision to pull the video. We legitimately had 1 code bug, and 1 screw come loose on a flipper switch that put ME in a panic. While everyone else was pulling it together and saving the stream, it took me a while and some really good friends to let me know that nothing in these things goes perfectly. I cracked... stress is high when you put your whole life into this.

To Bowen and Jack Danger... you guys are insanely talented, and words can't say how much good you have done for Spooky AND pinball in general. By the end of the night you turned me from crushed to laughing and having a great time. You two, are awesome. Having Jack as a friend and Bowen now a part of team Spooky.... worth its weight in silver balls.

We need to get better and will... we're also a whole lot better than we were even 6 months ago.

I'd also like to welcome one of my best friends, therapist, monster buddy, and the best pinball animator in the biz to Benton... welcome to town Bunyip van Es! There goes the neighborhood.

#3687 5 years ago
Quoted from markymark2400:

does the monster do anything?? theres no real toy?

The monster collects 2 balls in the castle, then dumps them down 2 different ramps for multiball... the guillotine also catches a ball and "chops" it so it drops into the subway.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and for Shane / Ayce Gogi for the stream! Jack Danger will be here to do another shortly... code still has a ways to go and we're flushing out wizard mode with Bowen. Still much to do but we're getting there!

#3726 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That’ll be 4x ACNC coming on NZ - more than WOZ, Hobbit, DI and probably some of the stern pins.

It's all in the distributor... that guy is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 week later
#3808 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

With the size of their workforce and numbers of games they produce Doing something like this for a few games would slow production down and lose money for them

100% correct... sadly, there is no such thing as a "raw door". They come in black, black, black, and oh yeah... black. To change the color, you literally have to take the entire door apart, bead blast the black off, and then re-powder / assemble.

Best advice for those who really want this done, let Matt at Back Alley Creations know and just send him your door. He's a great guy and does incredible work! We'll work with him to get the colors matched.

They're starting to multiply! 22 games on the line at once is a new Spooky best.

20180816_090911 (resized).jpg20180816_090911 (resized).jpg20180816_090932 (resized).jpg20180816_090932 (resized).jpg
#3811 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Regarding ACNC, will we need any metal protectors?

I don't think so... but again, the old adage, steel ball beats wood. Cliffy is a damn fine guy who makes damn fine product, that much I am sure of.

#3858 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

A steady increase in features and code because Fawzma is a dedicated person.

Just wait... it's only getting started. Fawzma is dedicated, and having Bowen on board to help get that dedication put to the best possible use has been INCREDIBLE! Always some speed bumps on this stuff when learning to be a team, but we are... all of us. And it's ONLY GETTING BETTER. Bunyip on animations, Fawzma on code, Bowen on direction, Scott as another set of eyes. My only job is to make sure the talent is all better than I am and keep it together.

You'll see some new features, some refinement of old stuff, and a whole lot more diversity in the code. Just taking what exists and making it less repetitive and more FUN!

We lost a lot of time and work on the system change back in February, and some learning along the way, but it's coming together... you've seen hints of that, but lots more to come! The differences since the streams that have gone out are immense, and still much to do.

Patience will be rewarded for everyone... and not just on Alice. We intend to clean up all our games when time allows. For a team this small, we're doing just fine.

#3861 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Just so it's clear, none of what I wrote was meant as a dig

Didn't take it that way at all. Thanks for the support!

Quoted from DJNOEL30:

Given how busy you and your team are the fact you jumped on my TNA trouble shoot so quickly and patiently walked me through fixing it speaks volumes of your dedication to not only building the games but the service you provide

We always do our best to resolve EVERY issue! Hate when things break, love it when they get fixed. Plus our service tech Chris is pretty damn good at his job.

1 week later
#3903 5 years ago

To be clear... that website is Alice's charity group (and 1 other partner charity). Not Spooky. They have 50 games to work with.... same group that gave an ACNC game to the winner of the Phoenix tourney last fall at Cooper'stown.

#3910 5 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Who knows if it's $1000 or 10 cents.

We know... or we wouldn't work with them.

1 week later
#3970 5 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Maybe Charlie could post a nice pic of the line at Spooky to get folks excited about the title again.

Great idea!

Took some time to get the code & a few parts (ramps mostly) to the point we are satisfied, but it's moving quicker and we used the time to crank hard on TnA to get more out there.

We literally have a small mountain of games to build... between TnA & Alice, it's the most work we've ever had on the schedule. I'm calling that a GREAT thing!

For the very few who seem obsessed to believe (and want you to believe) the sky is falling, our contribution to pinball in the last 5 years is over 1,000 games. 1,000 negative posts I suppose takes time too, but I think this is MUCH more positive for pinball.

Be nice to each other. It's really not that hard. Pinball.... ? Yeah, THAT'S hard.

20180911_083232 (resized).jpg20180911_083232 (resized).jpg20180911_083331 (resized).jpg20180911_083331 (resized).jpg20180911_083403 (resized).jpg20180911_083403 (resized).jpg20180911_083448 (resized).jpg20180911_083448 (resized).jpg
#3974 5 years ago

Here's my opinion... people either like the game, or don't. Reviews are about as accurate in pinball as they are music, films, etc etc. We've seen TnA called "an empty refrigerator box", "plays like an E.M.", "one trick pony", ... and on and on. 2017 Pinball News game of the year, multiple best in show wins all over the country, GAME SUCKS! "Overrated hype".

Why? Why bash a game you clearly don't enjoy? Are you trying to prove to others that the game they like, they are WRONG for liking it? Seems like a complete waste of time. Buy what you enjoy, and go have fun with it.

Example... I love music. I spend zero minutes a day on line bashing country music, and trying to convince country fans that heavy f**king metal is the best.

Let's have more fun and dig a little deeper on the ramp thing I just mentioned... Here's that shiny new building across the street and just a few of the things going on now that's it's fully operational (like the Death Star!!!)

We needed to get the ramps clearer... we also needed to improve the cuts. The "bump out" parts I'm pointing at took a couple weeks to figure out how to get to them to draw correctly on the thermal press and improve the mold so it could make the CNC's job more accurate and clean. You can see in the last photo how it looks after. MUCH better! All stuff now done in Benton, and all stuff that takes time to learn.

All the higher end printing and 100% of the powdercoating is now done here as well. Toss in the metal shop business that Spooky supports here in town (didn't exist a year ago) and you're seeing a small village basically helping Spooky become the most self sufficient pinball shop on the planet.

It's not just growing here, it's creating jobs all over town, and in Chicago. And if you think ANY of this is easy... you are crazier than Bryan Kelly.

Peace out. Go play a game you like today and like Dalton in Road House, just be nice.

20180911_085637 (resized).jpg20180911_085637 (resized).jpg20180911_085733 (resized).jpg20180911_085733 (resized).jpg20180911_085806 (resized).jpg20180911_085806 (resized).jpg20180911_085820 (resized).jpg20180911_085820 (resized).jpg20180911_085913 (resized).jpg20180911_085913 (resized).jpg20180911_090017 (resized).jpg20180911_090017 (resized).jpg
#3977 5 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

I liked the story, progression of modes, flow, yes it has some decent flow, great shots and the animation is very nice.

Sincerely... thanks, but you haven't seen where it's going. Nobody "in the wild" really has yet. It has taken a while for the team to learn how to gel together (new talent on board), but we have, and it's paying off daily.

#3981 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Bunyip, Australia. Is that how Dave got his nickname?

Sort of... he's Aussie, and a fairly mythical monster (which is also Spooky). Kinda just works!

#3996 5 years ago

It has 3 SMART drop targets ... ? 2 of them are in line and capable of some cool Scott Danesi like stuff (and maybe even more). The other battles you as you try to get to the working "Feed my Frankenstein" monster physical ball lock on the upper playfield.

Quoted from kvan99:

If you’re saying don’t be mean about it then we can agree.

Amen sir... it's watching people just attacking each other daily for no reason (and NOTHING they would say or do in person) that just wears me out.

Look, I can get people saying this game has a few tight shots... it does. I can get people who think slapping the ball around on a wide open playfield is "fun" ... it IS fun and makes you feel good. None of that makes you a better player, and no game really needs to do that either. If you like a challenge, those games are out there. If you like simple feel good games, TONS of them available too.

But at no point in time would I ever tell someone they are wrong for liking the type of game they like... and I certainly wouldn't attack, insult, degrade, or argue why they are wrong for liking it. THIS is what gets me fired up when reading this crap.

I don't deserve damnation for expressing an opinion

Happens every day in here. You are right, nobody does. Neither do we for making a game some see "problems" with.

having been a massive AC fan for 20 years

There are no cheap plastic figurines or covers in this game, only real sculpted parts EVERYWHERE. It has 2 interactive toys that are 100% from the Alice universe (Frankenstein and Guillotine), it has more speech from Alice Cooper himself than perhaps any game ever made, a super cool return spiral habitrail, unique ball save (nod to Golden Eye ... Lol) 4 subway access points, 3 smart drop targets, full RBG, and an art package that Alice himself was blown away with.

I really hope that makes fans happy, but .. to each his own. We did our best, and spared NOTHING from the BOM. Code is coming along MUCH better, and I couldn't be happier about that. I hope as the game gets out there more fans get the chance to enjoy it and decide for themselves.

I also hope as Spooky grows, we can just get down to making & selling games with no deposits. This was unthinkable from where we started, but right now we're committed to making TnA's we haven't sold, and that feels pretty great!

Life is good. It's also temporary. It's time to step off Pinside and go do something that truly is good for pinball. Gonna clear a bunch more games for shipping to happy customers!

Be nice to each other. Love is all you need. Peace Love Pinball. Happy happy, joy joy. Bryan Kelly is my spirit animal.

Love, Charlie

#4001 5 years ago

Damn now I want my spot back Charlie is the man, I can't argue with any of that!

LADIES AND GENTS... WE HAVE A NEW FIRST ON PINSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously sir, hate you bailed, but I get it... these are huge purchases and you want things the way you want them. I don't wish anyone on this planet harm. Except Green Hornet and the guy who took Godzilla! (holy hell am I kidding).

Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Hopefully some of these are ACNCs.

2 of them are. Back to work!

3 weeks later
#4143 5 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Well maybe you can shut up now, I got the email to pay mine in full that its ready to go

It is! Several more went this week, and we're getting back on track to keep them moving more consistently. Should have at least 1 a day leaving the next few weeks as well.

Not like we've been sitting idle while sorting out some stability stuff in code, ramps, mechs, etc... we've been moving TnA's along so we can focus on ACNC more as well.

So, TnA will wrap up sooner, Alice will be by itself on the line faster, and cool stuff and things happen.

Did anyone else notice that Spooky sold more games in the last year than the first 4.5 years combined?! Yeah... learning to deal with it is not easy, but sure beats sitting around wondering how to pay the rent. We've also SHIPPED more games this year than last year.

Just slow and steady growth. We're still a small pinball shop in WI, and we always intend to be.... just need to be a better quality & faster one! Getting there.

Still hard to get a good photo of the butter, but 1 is on the line now... no justice in the pic! All these games are new on the line this week.

20181005_153902 (resized).jpg20181005_153902 (resized).jpg20181005_153913 (resized).jpg20181005_153913 (resized).jpg
#4145 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm counting like 15+ shots?

I count 11... not counting targets. That's enough! Lol.

#4148 5 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Awesome, thanks for the update Charlie!

We care... a lot. And I think we're the most transparent company out there. ACNC is the most ambitious game we've ever made, and even with better engineering and a little more time, IT'S HARD. Especially at game launch.

So was TnA... it all gathers speed as you go and learn. New workers are blending in well and it's all a process.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

TARGETS MATTER CHARLIE

Most fun Extra Ball target ever!!! Then again, I'm biased.

#4169 5 years ago

We tracked it down to this guy... we'll keep him regardless, but he owes us all donuts.

20181010_131743 (resized).jpg20181010_131743 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#4479 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Well, regardless of how the callouts sound, pay attention to them as you play.

Yep... true stuff, and remember there is a small MOUNTAIN of callouts not in the game yet. Stability gets precedence over content.

We've got multiple people that are all eyes on the rule set all the time, and Ben gave us a great base to start with (and fantastic insert art!). Scott has his game and is taking control of all the sound effects. Bunyip has already done a fantastic job on the animations, and Bowen has been incredible to getting balance and pushing us / reeling us in when needed. From me, to Fawzma, to everyone involved... it's all a team effort.

The market is flooded with choices, and we'd much rather see the people who love this game for what it is end up with it than try to beat you over the head with "how great it is". I'm kind of a terrible salesman.

I also own an original MB and I'm not giving it up! Lol... to even be compared to that game in any capacity is flattering. The 2 games play entirely differently, but of course a game filled with monsters I'm going to find pretty damn inspirational (and fun!).

This was a record week for game building with 17 done here at Spooky! We're cranking hard on TnA to fill as many orders as possible while we get Alice exactly the way we want it for both code & production. TnA has never stopped selling, and will hit that 550 cut off (for now) mark soon.

So, 2 best selling games of last 6 years here are back to back, and yep... that's a good thing, but also a problem we're finding ways to conquer. Right now TnA is leaving 3 to 1 ACNC, and eventually that will swing the other direction.

Back to debating on whatever is next I guess. Lol... we'll be here in snowy WI working as usual. Take care and be good to each other!

Charlie out.

2 weeks later
#4582 5 years ago

Patience people... yes, we are behind on Alice while we tune up code, assembly, etc etc. We said 18 months to complete the whole run, and we're still on track for that.

We haven't been sitting around, we've been increasing production on TnA to clear them out as quick as possible. We'll be wrapping up all 550 of the initial run of TnA inside of 8 weeks, which means we will be building NOTHING but Alice the day those are finished.

We aren't stopping Alice for this, we are just trickling them out and polishing every damn thing we possibly can so we have the best game possible once they are out there. Still shipping some every week. Example, we TODAY finally got a code assist to protect the motors in the game so that even in the worst case situation, they will shut down and not hurt themselves. We've been on that particular hurdle for 3 years!

The game is getting more attention, code, sounds, effects, etc etc etc every day... it's getting play tested more than any game we've ever done... YOU'RE GOING TO GET A BETTER GAME FOR ALL THIS EFFORT!!!

We just cleared another Alice, and it's going in the car right now to take to Pincinnati tomorrow for the show (big thanks to the customer for letting us use his game!) Come see us, play the game, and say hello!

#4583 5 years ago

One more thing... we put 439 games out the door last year, and we are at 475 this year already! So once you take TnA out of the way (almost there), you see that Alice will be done in the 18 months we hoped for. Yes, the start was slow, but the finish will be on time (and more importantly, DONE RIGHT!)

2018 was our biggest year ever, and we've already got HUGE plans for 2019!

Be good to each other, and thanks everyone for the patience and support.

#4598 5 years ago

Wow... that was a bit humbling... thank you so much!

We have put more into this than anyone will ever know, and I promise it will be worth the wait.

Time to head downstairs for the show! Can't thank everyone who took the time this weekend to play the game, and thrilled by the kind comments and praise it's gotten here in Cincinnati.

Life is good...

1 month later
#4840 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

but I also would have gone crazy(er)

Not possible! You're already there.

Code is getting freaking fun in this game... and no, we don't want to burn Scott or anyone else out. Including me! We have 1 programmer per game on all games going forward, including ACNC and HHP. Game designer gets basic direction of course, Bowen is cutting his code teeth while he oversees EVERYTHING, and ... I don't wanna say more for now. Hehehee.

ACNC is the last game you'll ever see with code that raw again. It's getting to where it should be, TnA is 3 days from done, so let's crank out some ACNC games! Still much to do.

All this goodness just takes time, people, and $$$. We could have taken 10 short cuts to get where we are now faster, but glad we didn't.

Werewolf went from my least to absolute favorite mode this week in the entire game!!! I even had a perfect run, which inspired Bowen to give it a "health" bonus. You'll understand soon.

1 week later
#4911 5 years ago

ACNC is completely taking over the build floor right now. Last few TnA's are either going to customers or going to the warehouse (which means we have a few for sale, NO WAITING!). Yes, there are a few ACNC that are going to go "out of order". We have overseas customers who are still waiting for TnA's because ALL their games have to ship together or it's crazy expensive. There are locations and events that are counting on their games for various reasons, butters, etc. We're pushing what we can out of the way now.

ACNC is NOT a super wide open fan layout. Tons of those games out there... and nothing wrong with either style. Go with the type of game you like! Variety is good. If you control your shots, they are smooth and very satisfying. I got 7 of 9 monsters in 1 game yesterday and got to 139 million, and I'm no where near Bowen level. If you slap the ball around expecting it to go somewhere every time, you're going to get eaten for lunch in this one.

The code is getting to the point where we're all feeling good about it! I think it's the best rules package we've ever done, and still LOTS to be added.

And Jesse appears to have a Hamm's Beer bear topper on his Beatles?!? I love it!!!! Just glad it wasn't a possum named Marco.

Carry on fine pinball people. Back to work... the blizzard has passed and we're back to a full crew today!

1 month later
#5138 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

4th owner before the game ships

That game is done and going to TPF to go home with the owner next week... ad was just never taken down.

Butter all over the floor in here!

Code is getting crazy good, games are moving faster and faster, life is good.

20190313_124215 (resized).jpg20190313_124215 (resized).jpg
#5143 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Sweet! Will see you down in Frisco! Can not wait to try new code..

Yeah man... will have a few ACNC games with us! Going to be a fun show this year. Not a ton of pressure, nothing to debut for a while, so just going to hang out, sell a few games, and play some pinball.

Code is getting freakin' amazing... I'm seriously happy with EVERY mode in the game right now, and it's only getting better.

Really good things coming for this game, the next game, and so much more I can't say! Speculate away. Life is good.

#5146 5 years ago
Quoted from dannylite:

3 hours in and I am freaking loving this machine.

LOVE to hear this!

And still a ton of code goodness to come. All in due time! I've come close to wizard mode a couple times so better make it fun when ya' get there!

3 weeks later
#5386 4 years ago

Not quite getting why the upper area "seems dark" ... we did this to do all we can to get as much lighting as possible ABOVE the sculpts. We crammed GI in everywhere we possibly could.

But... I get it. We all have personal tastes, and I have no problem with that.

20190404_103731 (resized).jpg20190404_103731 (resized).jpg
#5410 4 years ago

Except Bryan's... his opinion is god awful.

#5478 4 years ago

For the record... I like lots of games and lots of styles... including Iron Maiden. I've also been smacking posts in AFM for years.

Some games are super easy to shoot. Some aren't. Doesn't make anything better or worse, just different. I can fly through Scared Stiff on a regular basis... did it twice in 1 game last week and had a blast! Attack From Mars, I've beaten maybe twice in 15 years.... one day I'll beat it again. Also a blast!

Different is good. Embrace it and enjoy what YOU LIKE.

Peace, love, pinball. And I don't care if that sounds cheesy... we're from Wisconsin.

1 month later
#5555 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Not really sure how that adjustment in the menu works.

Menu / Settings / Gameplay (feature)

Scan down to "Save Magnet Pattern" and you'll have 4 different timing options.

Quoted from blimpey:

423 plays over the weekend, being played nonstop no issues.

You have no idea how happy we are when we hear stuff like this!!! Thank you for allowing it to be used at a fantastic show!

#5557 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Is there recommended one it should normally work at?

We found after shipping a few games that different pitch and various other things could throw off the timing of the magnet turning off / on to toss the ball... so the menu has 4 different timing patterns. Original being the slowest, and 1 - 2 - 3 getting progressively faster in response.

It really depends on each game set up as to what works best for your game and you just need to try them till you find the right one for yours.

Typically 1 gets it done... 2 on rare occasions, and I have yet to see 3 be needed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spookycharlie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-pinball-3rd-game-500-units?tu=spookycharlie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.