Topic Stats

• 5,637 posts
  • 620 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 days ago by Halfwasted
  • Topic is favorited by 151 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 824 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190711_134756 (resized).jpg
20190706_012838 (resized).jpg
20190713_095057 (resized).jpg
20190712_214005 (resized).jpg
20190712_213952 (resized).jpg
20190713_095053 (resized).jpg
1E2543A6-76CD-414C-8428-6EAFC19DC7A4 (resized).jpeg
5FD92BFD-5474-499C-80E2-94F7706DD8B3 (resized).jpeg
BDE82F91-513F-4D7D-A545-66B29EB0122A (resized).jpeg
9CF3561A-630B-45FF-8ABB-FEF2017C0FEF (resized).jpeg
ef13dad8c5d55f656a8e28a6f59e4a50abffcfcb (resized).png
BG01 (resized).jpg
ACNC PST (resized).jpg
ACNC_Ball_Trap (resized).JPG
Untitled (resized).jpg
20190601_212101 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1 Announcement from Spooky via Pinside User Posted by ZenTron (3 years ago)

Post #81 Ben Heck confirming theme is not The Munsters Posted by benheck (3 years ago)

Post #789 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SpookyCharlie (2 years ago)

Post #1998 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Pinbaltz (1 year ago)

Post #2755 ruleset Posted by Medisinyl (1 year ago)

Post #3365 Jack Danger stream date confirmed. Posted by SpookyCharlie (1 year ago)

Post #3970 Factory photos Posted by SpookyCharlie (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider longhornengineer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

1 month later
#683 2 years ago

Meatloaf confirmed

#692 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbu64:

Confirmed trolling?

Confirmed

#696 2 years ago

Dr who confirmed.

IMG_20170325_214256 (resized).jpg

#703 2 years ago

Just joking it's alice cooper

5 months later
#961 2 years ago

REV8_EOTL (resized).png

3 months later
#1070 1 year ago

Prototype PinHeck REV8 EOTL HD PCBs arrive

eotl_0 (resized).jpg

eotl_1 (resized).jpg

#1080 1 year ago

Here is a older development picture of the system. This is a PinHeck REV7 with a custom RPI3 CM carrier board I developed grafted onto it.

pinheckwithrpi3cm (resized).jpg

#1082 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

What kind of audio out are you using on the Pi3? USB?
Will it be possible to get a dedicated USB audio out - if for example we wanted to use a high quality DAC & amp and feed them via USB?

I2S using a PCM5122.

#1084 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Would it potentially be possible, if enabled as an option in software, to do a USB audio out if there's an unused USB port?

No it wont be possible without major code changes. The PCM5122 is probably much higher quality then any USB DAC you are going to use. 24bit 44kHz Audio.

#1092 1 year ago

SMT placement done on the prototypes. PTH should be done by tomorrow then preliminary testing.

SMTpinheck (resized).jpg

#1102 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

3 games made here use the same exact board... only AMH and AC will be different. All a part of it, and no different than Stern using SAM, Spike, Spike 2, etc.

Yup!

REV 1 was a board that had a PIC32MEGA devboard socketed on it. edit: I remember. Ben still runs this board for testing code changes.

REV 2 and REV 3 we added and removed features trying to figure out what we needed in a board set. It had a 16-segment display connector on it!

REV 4 First board set AMH ran on. A couple really early AMH run on this board set. The game shown at Chicago 2013 (i think?) had this board revision in it. It was pretty hacked up.

REV 5 Is the production AMH board. I think we had a couple improvements over the run of AMH.

REV 6 Never even made a prototype. Had some pretty radical ideas but we ended up not going this route.

REV 7 Majority of Spooky's games run on this board set. Current revision is REV7D. Lots of changes to make manufacturing of the board set easier over the life of the board set.

REV 8 New board set! Probably the most radical change of them all. As noted before we are considering this revision the End Of The Line. The board set has seen many changes and additions since we started it (2012? maybe 2011) that I would personally like to start from a clean slate after this.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Also don't forget it's not like Ben is just sending the boards off to some prototype house, and then getting them stuffed at some no-name contract manufacturer.. Longhorn engineer (correct me if I'm wrong) has his own machine to wave solder boards so costs are kept low, even with revisions.

Correct, We have a a low volume high mix electronics assembly line here in Houston. Specialize in this kind of stuff

Quoted from toyotaboy:

However if you're going to optimize cost it's probably better to design your own board.

This.

#1105 1 year ago
Quoted from Claires-dad:

Ability to remanufacture them, going forward?

Totally. The best thing about our operations here in Houston it is easy to make more REV5s (or REV7) as needed. These board sets are also very easy to repair since currently all the parts are being manufactured (no EOL) and there are no custom ASICs.

We have been talking about pushing the platform out to hobbyists to enable more people to develop on the platform. Currently the only thing stopping this from happening is documentation of the software to make it easier for someone to pick up and use. We also would need to figure out how to protect the software IP Spooky has created around the platform to prevent another incident.

#1112 1 year ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

If anybody else is planning to start a pinball manufacturing business (it seems to be the thing to do these days), please contact me.

It is one thing to comment on R&D and manufacturing but trying to push your own product in another manufactures thread is tacky.

#1127 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Hi... I would like to order 10,000 of your .05 cent mosfets please.

Same! I assume those 5 cent mosfets install themselves as well

https://octopart.com/search?q=IRF540%20&start=0

#1129 1 year ago

Yes lets base part of our supply chain on a none authorized source of parts! What can go wrong. Surely not counterfeit parts or exploding parts!

#1146 1 year ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Why continue to expand and redesign a control system with limited capabilities, going as far as to leverage a completely separate computer for display purposes, when a mature, proven and well-supported system has existed for years? That was the question. It was never actually answered, I was just downvoted into oblivion because "reasons".

Cost reasons. I won't say what the difference between PinHeck + R&D verse buying PROC out right but the PinHeck + R&D time is cheaper.

#1207 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

going to be at TPF looking forward to playing ACNC - one thing that would be cool in your building of machines, perhaps too late for this model, would be to include HDMI out (even better with sound too) and/or 3.5mm headphone jack - more and more live streamed events and streamers.

REV8 won't be able to do HDMI out but you can split the audio with a 3.5MM headphone splitter. In the future I would like to have HDMI as a kind of backup on the board. Then you can easily split that to another screen or use any kind of screen that you want to. Maybe we can get OLEDs that are 15"

#1245 1 year ago

Audio DAC boards arrived. This will be embedded on the Pinheck REV8 but I made a separate breakout to try several different iterations of component selection and layout ideas quickly.

MVIMG_20180131_145950 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Round Lake, IL
Machine - For Sale
Pflugerville, TX
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 7,300.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 6,450.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider longhornengineer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside