5FD92BFD-5474-499C-80E2-94F7706DD8B3 (resized).jpeg
BDE82F91-513F-4D7D-A545-66B29EB0122A (resized).jpeg
9CF3561A-630B-45FF-8ABB-FEF2017C0FEF (resized).jpeg
ef13dad8c5d55f656a8e28a6f59e4a50abffcfcb (resized).png
BG01 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Announcement from Spooky via Pinside User Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #81 Ben Heck confirming theme is not The Munsters Posted by benheck (7 years ago)

Post #789 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SpookyCharlie (7 years ago)

Post #1998 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Pinbaltz (6 years ago)

Post #2755 ruleset Posted by Medisinyl (5 years ago)

Post #3365 Jack Danger stream date confirmed. Posted by SpookyCharlie (5 years ago)

Post #3970 Factory photos Posted by SpookyCharlie (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#456 7 years ago

Total Annihilation looks DOPE! I love the retro, single layer approach. If these were ever to be produced, I'm not sure I see the cost-benefit of the LCD (which was pretty under-utilized) and the numeric displays. It's kind of a cool retro thing as a one-off to have the extra displays, but I would think the scores could be incorporated into the LCD if this ever got picked up for mass production.

Even though I'm in on Rob Zombie, this seems like what Spooky was initially going for with Pinball Zombies / RZ. I think Scott just out-Spookied Spooky. They seem like a perfect match for a future game.

1 year later
#1835 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yes, no problem with pops but use them in the lower part of the playfield where they have a fuction other than points, at least on TNA they affect the trajectory of the ball in play otherwise I wish they would disappear all together. rather have a more interactive toy in its place anyday.

Agreed! Frankly, I never understood the obsession some people have with pop bumpers, especially the way they're almost always used. I love several games with no pop bumpers. Oh the blasphemy!

#1853 6 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Because the current display resolution sucks on RZ. It has a display capable of so much more just not utilized. Yes I know it was the first production game to include the color display and the price was not increased all.
I’m not asking for them to do more work for free I’d be more than willing to purchase it as a mod from Spooky.
I have a color DMD installed on my Fish Tales and the quality of those images are far superior to that of a game made in 2016. Sucks to see the display not displaying images to its potential.

I own RZ, I love RZ, I really HATE the display on RZ, and I don't think they should waste 5 minutes converting to Hi-Def. I wish RZ had come out after the "conversion" to P-Roc, but it is what it is. It's not realistic to spend the time on this high of an effort low-to-no profit project for them. Too much work.

That said, I would love if Bowen chimed in on some rule upgrades. That would be a much lower cost investment, and I *thought* there was at least one more release that was supposed to happen at some point.

I also wish something would be added to the apron mod. Frankly I feel like I wasted $300 on what was supposedly to come, because it seems like it has died on the vine at this point.

#1970 6 years ago

I'm debating on the armor, but I kinda think the regular looks better than the blue upgrade.

#2026 6 years ago

Thinking I'm going to sit this one out for now. Never was an Alice Cooper fan, but was really impressed with how the game looked at reveal. I was all set to jump in this morning, but my more rational side is realizing there just isn't much to go off of, especially since I have not played it. It looks cool, but no idea how it plays. Houdini looks cool, but I really HATE that game. Plus, with so few rules, not sure what there will be to do here. No offense Chuck, but all the bricking in that video didn't help a ton. And while I'm not necessarily a "flow" guy, I wouldn't really consider looping an orbit to be flow. I didn't see how many shots actually string together. Couldn't hear much audio either, but I think I agree with the critique of Alice's voiceovers.

Regardless, no huge red flags, but probably too many question marks at this stage.

#2188 6 years ago

The games I decide to get in early on tend to go down before I get mine (I could have saved money buying used) and the games I pass on tend to hold value / go up by the time I want one. I passed on Alice, so that probably means they're almost sold out and demand / price will stay steady or go up.

My more logical side tells me this game won't be everyone's thing, and given how many other games are likely to come out in the next 18 months, Alice will be readily available on the secondary market for under NIB price next year. However, I do have a pretty good streak of misfortune going.

3 months later
#3211 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

OK - I wasn't aware that it's only 500 and they are all sold. If so that's great. I just know for someone like myself who isn't 100% sure b/c well, I haven't been able to play it and I've been given no proper showcase of the game via media, I'm still uncertain. I would think in this day and age of the internet, they would have put at least one solid video up - some folks don't have time to attend pinball shows....it's just very interesting how they're handling this release...
I also remember when they first revealed it everyone was like wtf is with the video and sound quality. The popular response was that they will do a proper showcase in due time. Seems like that never happened.

Personally, if you've waited this long, why jump into the NIB at all on this game? I'm not knocking Spooky (I own 2 Spooky games) but with so little shown about the game, it's almost a certainty that there will be a ton of these showing up on the secondary market. This doesn't even mean the game won't be good (although I think that's still in question). With so many purchased on so little final info, it definitely will not vibe with everyone. Once you get past the initial people trying to flip, I think a lot of people will keep the game, and a lot of people will discover this isn't the game for them. I almost jumped in early because of FOMO, but at this point, I think this game will be pretty easy to get on the secondary market, even if it is generally viewed as a desirable finished game.

2 weeks later
#3343 5 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

oh god I hope Jack Danger plays well! ok, I'll show myself out.

Can you imagine how this thread would implode if he bricked the shots on his first few balls and ended with a 60 second game?

Quoted from delt31:

Alice's comment range from OK to borderline awkward (you'll never come out of here....alive) but I'm hoping there is enough variety to get by.

This is my biggest concern (of several) about the game. Granted we've likely only heard a tiny percentage of the audio clips, but what we've heard skews toward cringe-worthy. Anyone who doesn't agree must also like the callouts in AMH. Say what you will about Spooky's RZ, but Rob crushes his callouts in that game. They're energetic and in your face. Alice sounds half-dead/amateur.

I love the aesthetic of this game SO much, and the dungeon crawling potential sounds awesome. However, despite Chuck mockingly chanting "this game has no flow" while hitting orbit shots (I don't think repeating an outside orbit counts as flow) I am concerned about the layout. Most shots are super narrow and either end in scoops, dead-ends, or the upper playfield. I love stop-and-go games like TZ as much, if not more than Steve Ritchie style flow games, but maybe not here.

I own 2 Spooky games already and I was SO tempted to plop down an early deposit, but to date, the game just doesn't look fun to me. I hope I'm wrong because there's so much potential in the concept. The bottom line is that there hasn't been a single video I'm aware of that shows anyone having a good game. I'm the furthest thing from a Stern fanboy, but my next pinball purchase is going to be Iron Maiden (even though I kinda hate the band) because that game is so damn fun. If Alice isn't going to be fun (and we don't actually know yet, although I'm skeptical) then I'm just not ever going to be interested.

#3355 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Some games are not very fun at first but get much better as you get used to the shots.
These games tend to not do well at shows and look like clunk fests in videos with people playing the game for the first time.
Wide open fan layouts are fast and fun at first and do well at shows. However, these games all start to feel too similar to me. They really need excellent rules and theme implementation to set one apart from another.

Agreed, but the fact that there are NO documented good games being played makes me nervous. This game definitely isn't a walk up and crush it type of game, that's confirmed. Will it be fun? I fear not, but essentially nobody knows at this point. I'm very eager to see Jack play it. He's a WAY better player than I am, so how well (or poorly) he plays will go a long ways toward seeing the potential.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

You can only speak for yourself, dude. I am not a fan of the AMH call outs. I played ACNC and thought the call outs were fine. Light years better than AMH.

Equating this audio to AMH was admittedly hyperbole. I hated the audio on that game so much, the rest of the game couldn't have possibly been good enough to get me to like the overall package. Alice is not remotely in that category, but most of the Alice clips I've heard so far still make me groan in disappointed embarrassment.

3 months later
#4273 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeVideo:

Because Judas Priest album covers and the the Centaur artwork are such kindred spirits, when I finally get my own Centaur pin, I want to replace the sound board and program it so it plays "You've Got Another Thing Coming" by Judas Priest when the 4-ball multi ball starts.
[quoted image]

Bad move human!

#4313 5 years ago

Anyone know if there will be one of these to play around the Chicago area any time soon? I decided not to go in on this game (not remotely an AC fan) and didn't make it to Expo.

Art and sculpts look amazing. Music and voice seems atrocious. Display looks awesome. Dungeon crawling concept sounds great, but rules are unfinished and quality videos are so scarce. Same with gameplay. Seems clunky and super tight, but hard to tell based on lack of gameplay videos.

Seems like a real mixed bag that frankly could go either way. That said, all this is based on never seeing one in person, so I'd love to check it out whether it makes it onto my buy list or not.

#4350 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I think its unflattering videos like the one above that's makes people want to sell their preorder. I cant hear the music or callouts and there are so many bricked shots.

Quoted from StylesBitchly:

That’s what I meant about noob vs. verteran players. Noobs really make a game look like it plays like shit!

Agreed, but these are actual players, and almost all the videos that come out look like this. So, the problem is if a potential buyer's friends and family also have noob-like skills, you're seeing what will likely happen with the game in their home. Not everyone is buying a game for a single highly skilled player or a group of rabid pinheads. If every video shows casual people bricking shots, you better believe you're going to be watching a ton of casual players brick shots in your basement as well.

None of this says anything good or bad about the game for serious / skilled players, but I think we're seeing what this game will be like for everyone else.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-pinball-3rd-game-500-units?tu=Cheeks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.