20190713_095053 (resized).jpg
1E2543A6-76CD-414C-8428-6EAFC19DC7A4 (resized).jpeg
5FD92BFD-5474-499C-80E2-94F7706DD8B3 (resized).jpeg
BDE82F91-513F-4D7D-A545-66B29EB0122A (resized).jpeg
9CF3561A-630B-45FF-8ABB-FEF2017C0FEF (resized).jpeg
ef13dad8c5d55f656a8e28a6f59e4a50abffcfcb (resized).png
BG01 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,659 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 114.
#3351 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Evidently Spooky's idea of "shipping in June" was one game.

One game shipped that month does meet what they said, unlike people like JJP that make people wait year(s) after they promise to ship the first game

#3352 5 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

One game shipped that month does meet what they said, unlike people like JJP that make people wait year(s) after they promise to ship the first game

well ... if we gonna indulge in technicalities I have to counter that, back then, plural was used. as in "games".

but that would be silly!

#3353 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Can you imagine how this thread would implode if he bricked the shots on his first few balls and ended with a 60 second game?

This is my biggest concern (of several) about the game. Granted we've likely only heard a tiny percentage of the audio clips, but what we've heard skews toward cringe-worthy. Anyone who doesn't agree must also like the callouts in AMH. Say what you will about Spooky's RZ, but Rob crushes his callouts in that game. They're energetic and in your face. Alice sounds half-dead/amateur.
I love the aesthetic of this game SO much, and the dungeon crawling potential sounds awesome. However, despite Chuck mockingly chanting "this game has no flow" while hitting orbit shots (I don't think repeating an outside orbit counts as flow) I am concerned about the layout. Most shots are super narrow and either end in scoops, dead-ends, or the upper playfield. I love stop-and-go games like TZ as much, if not more than Steve Ritchie style flow games, but maybe not here.
I own 2 Spooky games already and I was SO tempted to plop down an early deposit, but to date, the game just doesn't look fun to me. I hope I'm wrong because there's so much potential in the concept. The bottom line is that there hasn't been a single video I'm aware of that shows anyone having a good game. I'm the furthest thing from a Stern fanboy, but my next pinball purchase is going to be Iron Maiden (even though I kinda hate the band) because that game is so damn fun. If Alice isn't going to be fun (and we don't actually know yet, although I'm skeptical) then I'm just not ever going to be interested.

You can only speak for yourself, dude. I am not a fan of the AMH call outs. I played ACNC and thought the call outs were fine. Light years better than AMH.

#3354 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Evidently Spooky's idea of "shipping in June" was one game.

The games will ship when they are ready. Spooky has a much better history of getting games out on time then any other pinball company so I'm not sure why anyone would give them flack about this.

#3355 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Some games are not very fun at first but get much better as you get used to the shots.
These games tend to not do well at shows and look like clunk fests in videos with people playing the game for the first time.
Wide open fan layouts are fast and fun at first and do well at shows. However, these games all start to feel too similar to me. They really need excellent rules and theme implementation to set one apart from another.

Agreed, but the fact that there are NO documented good games being played makes me nervous. This game definitely isn't a walk up and crush it type of game, that's confirmed. Will it be fun? I fear not, but essentially nobody knows at this point. I'm very eager to see Jack play it. He's a WAY better player than I am, so how well (or poorly) he plays will go a long ways toward seeing the potential.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

You can only speak for yourself, dude. I am not a fan of the AMH call outs. I played ACNC and thought the call outs were fine. Light years better than AMH.

Equating this audio to AMH was admittedly hyperbole. I hated the audio on that game so much, the rest of the game couldn't have possibly been good enough to get me to like the overall package. Alice is not remotely in that category, but most of the Alice clips I've heard so far still make me groan in disappointed embarrassment.

#3356 5 years ago

Yes, the callouts on AMH are really bad, but I actually kinda like that about the game. The kitschy audio and dots are true to the homebrew feel of the game. It only works because the game is fun, and it only works once. A second game with that kind of audio, and it starts to feel like junk, not kitsch.

That said, ACNC is NOT that level of audio. It does seem like it could do with a bit better integration, and it seems like it goes silent a bit often. I believe newer code will help that, and it might also be that we're not hearing coils firing in that video.

Quoted from jgentry:

The games will ship when they are ready. Spooky has a much better history of getting games out on time then any other pinball company so I'm not sure why anyone would give them flack about this.

What have you done for me lately? The first shipments of TNA were later than forecast, TNA shipments have been slower than expected, and ACNC is taking a little more time than people hoped for. Even with all of that, I'd still put them in second place, behind Stern, as far as delivering on time.

#3357 5 years ago

Agreed, so far the game does not look good. But we have to give it time, we have not seen a recent code or any real play or any music.... I have one on order, but may sell my spot if the footage in a week or so is bad. I don't like that you won't see the ball travel around the back by the looks of it, once it goes up the ramp. Lower play field boring, toys?? Nothing really to bash ! No pop bumpers, not many drop targets?

Metallica for me is a great play field. Open, good toy, good shots.

And upper play field looks blah, with one shot to make.... to get to a blue frankenstein, which to me is just a cheap looking doll.

Cartoon and art looks great. Time will tell.... We will know soon, but I agree, I am worried too. Been waiting as a long long time AC fan for him to get a pinball.

Iron Maiden apart from no real Toy, looks to be far better, but you can't compare a giant like Stern to Spooky. Spooky mean well and it will be a success. Is it for me? Not sure yet. And I am DIE HARD AC fan.

#3358 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The first shipments of TNA were later than forecast, TNA shipments have been slower than expected

curious, what was expected for TNA vs when delivered?

I got mine right on time/as expected and thus far it appears 20 per month are delivering since they started.

If comparing with Stern, I waited over 2 months from promised delivery to actual delivery of my GOTGpro. It is not uncommon for Stern to have multiple months delays post taking money. They often have a big push at the start of a production run, but after that delays seem to be the norm while you wait for them to be run again. It was very frustrating the last time to have them continually string me along with perpetual 2 week delays.

It think manufacturing pinball is just hard so commitint to any deadline and staying even remotely close is a good thing

#3359 5 years ago

Looking back at old posts, I will take back the statement that first shipments were later than expected. Early ones like Ed Robertson's and yours were in line with what Charlie said. #43 was shipped very early in 2018.

Posted in August 2017:

Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We can produce about 10 to 12 games a week, so I hope that helps you figure out time frames for delivery. GAMES WILL SHIP IN 2017!!! REALLY... we promise. Estimated production for the next year is 500 to 600 units.

I shouldn't have brought it up, but when this was the estimate and you look where they're at now, it does make you question the accuracy of their estimates. I don't believe that they intentionally misled anyone, but pinball is hard.

#3360 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

but when this was the estimate and you look where they're at now, it does make you question the accuracy of their estimates.

not really.

We are at July and ACNC production is starting to ramp up in a similar mannet as TNA did.

Assuming TNA continues along at 20 per month and ACNC gets up to that also, then 40 games per month would mean then are producing at a rate of almost 500 per year. Not too shabby based on the estimate.

I think realistically, most would expect that a small company is going to be a bit slower and calculated in the ramp up. If Stern struggles with it, then I would assume others will also since they dont already have the infrastructure to go along with it all..

#3361 5 years ago

Sorry, I should have said it makes ME question the accuracy of their estimates.

Their estimate as of August 2017 was 500 to 600 units. They've shipped something on the order of 200 TNAs since then. Unless they ship a combined 300 TNA and ACNC in the next month, I am going to call that a missed estimate. They were not forecasting the upcoming year, they were forecasting the year past. Nothing malicious, and we probably should have expected it, but that still doesn't mean they performed to that estimate.

Edit: I apologize for unrailing the topic. I'm done.

#3362 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Looking back at old posts, I will take back the statement that first shipments were later than expected. Early ones like Ed Robertson's and yours were in line with what Charlie said. #43 was shipped very early in 2018.
Posted in August 2017:

I shouldn't have brought it up, but when this was the estimate and you look where they're at now, it does make you question the accuracy of their estimates. I don't believe that they intentionally misled anyone, but pinball is hard.

You said the key word, estimate. They are using previous experience and some guessing to try to let people know when they might expect their game. They have never came out and said "you will have your game on this date". I think they found TNA a good bit harder to build and they had to learn a completely new operating system for both games. All any of us have to do is email KT and you can get and honest answer as to when they hope to get your game done. They are not on pinside updating the speed of each build and if they are ahead or behind daily because this place is rather toxic for anyone that manufactures pinball machines. Constructive feedback is good for people to listen too. Getting beaten down on a daily basis by people that largely have no clue about anything (not implying this is you in anyway herg, and your OCD boards are awesome) is not productive in anyway shape or form.

#3363 5 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I'm [TNA] number 196, I ordered October 12th and my game is shipping either this week or next [mid jul'18]. Original estimate given to me at the time of order was delivery in Jan/Feb of 2018. So, from time of first payment to delivery, my machine has taken 9 months to be delivered... just stating facts so if anyone is thinking of getting in they can be conservative with their estimates of when they will get their game.

being off 5-6 additional months on top of an original delivery estimate of only 3-4 months [oct'17-jan/feb'18] appears to be a pretty big miss. ~150% increase in wait time, with similar misses expected for every customer who ordered around that same time and was told the same thing, as well.

Whysnow continues to estimate spooky is churning out games in the mid 20's per month. looks like their initial forecasts were in the 40-48 gm/mo range [10-12/week]. over time, that's going to create a discrepancy no matter how you slice it.

for the time being, best info on expected deliveries going forward remains post #3008.

a part of that post rationalized why ACNC production might progress even slower than TNA.

Quoted from greenhornet:

comparing the complexity of the build of ACNC relative to TNA, one would think that with ramps, subways, [upper playfield], multiple orbits/ball guides, toys, sculpts, etc, it will be more labor intensive and require more manhours to build/fine tune an ACNC than a TNA. this could end up being a factor in their ability to increase throughput.

#3364 5 years ago

Now that now ACNC is shipping, some that signed up for one now don't want their game, and others are ruling this one out because Spooky can't build them fast enough. Maybe some will be in stock and available somewhere in the universe soon to avoid a disaster.

#3365 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

being off 5-6 additional months on top of an original delivery estimate of only 3-4 months [oct'17-jan/feb'18] appears to be a pretty big miss. ~150% increase in wait time, with similar misses expected for every customer who ordered around that same time and was told the same thing, as well.

Please come here and work for a few weeks so you can see exactly what is going on. Or better yet, just stop wondering all together. It's fairly pointless speculation.

I think you'll see later customers getting games on time or even quicker. Early production numbers are skewed due to high profile operator games, overseas games, butter cabinet games, employees coming / going, etc etc etc. It all balances out in the end.

There seriously has to be something better to do with peoples time that sit around and wonder on a game that is in fact, being delivered daily. I cleared 18 for shipment last week, will clear another dozen this week. Those numbers vary all the time.

So far, our promised / shipped game rate on all previous titles is right about 100%. That's not about to change. We even managed to complete them all in the time frames we promised or quicker. Will that trend continue? Time will tell... but THEY WILL ALL SHIP. That I promise.

Jack Danger will be here on the 30th to stream Alice... might even have another big name pinball guy here that night too.

Go enjoy the day!

#3366 5 years ago

Well there ya go!

#3367 5 years ago

I think we need to lighten up the mood around here. Here's a pic of a couple huge Alice Cooper fans. They may even have an interest in the pinball machine.

25A09A86-7F97-4636-A2EC-8952E00969B8 (resized).jpeg25A09A86-7F97-4636-A2EC-8952E00969B8 (resized).jpeg
#3368 5 years ago

or the dude may be interested in smashing fruit...

#3369 5 years ago

Just curious - any actual buyers posting in this thread as distressed as some of those who are not buying the game?

If I was worried, would not have put a deposit in. Seems easy even for a simpleton like me.

#3370 5 years ago
Quoted from BOHICA:

Just curious - any actual buyers posting in this thread as distressed as some of those who are not buying the game?
If I was worried, would not have put a deposit in. Seems easy even for a simpleton like me.

I’m in. #413...so just in. Not worried a bit. Spooky is a company of their word...history has shown this. The angst is from the few that want what they want now...sometimes a little patience will give you a big reward. That said, I understand those who are concerned about the questions of how it plays. I, myself, have bought all my pins (I only own 2 now) with never playing them...and I have no regrets...just know what I’ll like.

#3371 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I’m in. #413...so just in. Not worried a bit. Spooky is a company of their word...history has shown this.

THANK YOU!!! We appreciate when people notice these things.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Here's a pic of a couple huge Alice Cooper fans.

Yep... Liked him 30 years ago, still do now. Oh, and same for the girl in the photo.

#3372 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think we need to lighten up the mood around here.

You know what really sucks? When you find this stuff while moving (we are now)... and your smart a** son says "Whoa dad, you used to be an ok looking guy".

Just wait kid. Heredity will catch up to you.

And where the **** was Bryan Kelly when we ripped apart a 16 foot ball bowler this morning and hauled it across Benton?!??

#3373 5 years ago

You know what really sucks? When you find this stuff while moving (we are now)... and your smart a** son says "Whoa dad, you used to be an ok looking guy".
Just wait kid. Heredity will catch up to you.
And where the **** was Bryan Kelly when we ripped apart a 16 foot ball bowler this morning and hauled it across Benton?!??

He spent the last 14 hrs trying to get that picture to upload from his phone. He was busy.

#3374 5 years ago

THANK YOU!!! We appreciate when people notice these things.

Yep... Liked him 30 years ago, still do now. Oh, and same for the girl in the photo.

Cool pic. What are the Emerys (before there were the Emerys)?

#3375 5 years ago

Had my prunes for breakfast. Took a nap. Pooped for the third time. Took another nap. Pooped the prunes out.

You know....the usual.

#3376 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Had my prunes for breakfast. Took a nap. Pooped for the third time. Took another nap. Pooped the prunes out.

You know....the usual.

Genuinely didn't need to know that.

I also don't remember owning suspenders. I do remember having hair. Vaguely.

#3377 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think we need to lighten up the mood around here. Here's a pic of a couple huge Alice Cooper fans. They may even have an interest in the pinball machine.

80’s personified. Oh, wait, that might be 90’s.

I really don’t understand the angst about delivery times from Spooky. That’s the very last thing you should be worried about. You should be more concerned about whether to get butter cab or not.

#3378 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You should be more concerned about whether to get butter cab or not.

ACNC’s art is too awesome to not get a butter cab...get the butter cab!

#3379 5 years ago

greenhornet... wow. Nothing you can say, dude. You got ...exterminated.
Leave this chat with your hornet between your legs. It is all you can do at this point to save anything.

#3380 5 years ago

Proof that life in the US has become incredibly easy in the last century: People now have time to try tracking production numbers and shipping dates of toys they aren't waiting for and in some cases don't even like. My grandparents had to worry every day about food on the table and keeping a roof overhead; no time for the luxury of being offended on their own behalf, much less someone else's.

#3381 5 years ago

I have a TNA in home and a ACNC on pre-order. I have no issues waiting for my pin.

I trust the Spooky team will deliver a great pin. If it takes a little more time to make it great so be it.

No rush here polish the game up nice Spooky!

I do have a low # that does help!

#3382 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

That’s the very last thing you should be worried about. You should be more concerned about whether to get butter cab or not.

No, I can't justify it.
$1000.00 can buy a lot of cool mods though!

#3383 5 years ago
Quoted from BOHICA:

Proof that life in the US has become incredibly easy in the last century:

Especially for the top 1%.

#3384 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

I wish you well @stylesbitchly. I’m glad you are able to enjoy this fun hobby. There are many levels...all a blast. Pinball is/should not be about out-doing each other, but supporting each other in the hobby.

#3385 5 years ago

Did Alice do any LIONMAN callouts for this game ????

#3386 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Did Alice do any LIONMAN callouts for this game ????

LOL!
And I really love that game (SoF). But that callout drives me nuts!

#3387 5 years ago

No one wasting money on pinball machines needs to be complaining about others having an easier financial life. If you have that kind of expendable income you are doing just fine. Plus opposite of what you hear many of that 1% work extremely hard for what they have and pay the vast majority of taxes that pays for everything in this country.

#3388 5 years ago

#3389 5 years ago

Genuinely didn't need to know that.
I also don't remember owning suspenders. I do remember having hair. Vaguely.

Those suspenders are pretty bitchin.

rd

#3390 5 years ago

Ya, you're naïve!

Or educated, people that say things like that have zero clue how things really work.

#3391 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Or educated, people that say things like that have zero clue how things really work..

I'll tell you what. We can take it to PM and you can show me how educated you are. OK?

#3392 5 years ago

Actually, IT'S THE OTHER WAY AROUND!

Ok, ok...before this escalates. The point being...Pinball is a hobby. There are different price levels. Those with budgets should stay within them. If not, that’s a personal choice, and there are consequences. Those at the top, can afford the top end games...just like any hobby...cars, boats, etc. If you’re at a different level, have fun, but have fun within your level, and don’t blame those who can afford more. It’s all about respect, on both ends of the spectrum..

#3393 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

No one wasting money on pinball machines needs to be complaining about others having an easier financial life. If you have that kind of expendable income you are doing just fine. Plus opposite of what you hear many of that 1% work extremely hard for what they have and pay the vast majority of taxes that pays for everything in this country.

Haha. I wish double thumbs down was an option.

#3394 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Plus opposite of what you hear many of that 1% work extremely hard for what they have and pay the vast majority of taxes that pays for everything in this country.

Not to derail the mighty Suspenders from the 90s thread, but I had to check that out.

It’s actually closer than I thought.

(Pasted)

- In 2014, the top 50 percent of all taxpayers paid 97.3 percent of all individual income taxes while the bottom 50 percent paid the remaining 2.7 percent.

-The top 1 percent paid a greater share of individual income taxes (39.5 percent) than the bottom 90 percent combined (29.1 percent).

-The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid a 27.1 percent individual income tax rate, which is more than seven times higher than taxpayers in the bottom 50 percent (3.5 percent).

So, the top 1 don’t pay a majority of taxes, but they sure do pay a heap. If you changed to the top 10%, according to the above it would mean the 10% pay 70% of the tax.

When I studied the tax intake a little while back, I was very surprised how little tax the huge corporations pay in the USA compared to the individual taxpayers. They clearly have very good tax accountants.

Meanwhile, back in Benton ....

3A99812D-B11A-4736-A309-BF20457D3F7A (resized).jpeg3A99812D-B11A-4736-A309-BF20457D3F7A (resized).jpeg

Also: I have 5 Spooky pins ordered for NZ and everything looks like it’s running right on track to me.

rd

#3395 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Not to derail the mighty Suspenders from the 90s thread, but I had to check that out.
It’s actually closer than I thought.
(Pasted)
- In 2014, the top 50 percent of all taxpayers paid 97.3 percent of all individual income taxes while the bottom 50 percent paid the remaining 2.7 percent.
-The top 1 percent paid a greater share of individual income taxes (39.5 percent) than the bottom 90 percent combined (29.1 percent).
-The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid a 27.1 percent individual income tax rate, which is more than seven times higher than taxpayers in the bottom 50 percent (3.5 percent).
So, the top 1 don’t pay a majority of taxes, but they sure do pay a heap. If you changed to the top 10%, according to the above it would mean the 10% pay 70% of the tax.
When I studied the tax intake a little while back, I was very surprised how little tax the huge corporations pay in the USA compared to the individual taxpayers. They clearly have very good tax accountants.
Meanwhile, back in Benton ....

rd

In most cases it's the top 0.01% that get away with paying a tiny percentage. They have leverage that others do not. A huge portion of the lower top 1% is small business owners that are paying 32%+ or higher federal/state which doesn't include any of the other constant taxes and fees on everything they do.

Quoted from lancestorm:

Haha. I wish double thumbs down was an option.

Have at it, my pinside world is all positive so i don't see any of that nonsense anyway.

#3396 5 years ago

Someone should seriously market pinball suspenders , I know a few people that have lost their pants while playing pinball .

#3397 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Someone should seriously market pinball suspenders , I know a few people that have lost their pants while playing pinball .

It is a classy look. For some reason he reminds me of the Scorpions lead singer in that picture. That's probably how he landed the girl.

#3398 5 years ago

Spooky ACNC. That’s the thread...all about this, but start a new thread.

#3399 5 years ago

Hey guys I know everyone is excited to see the ACNC pin start rolling out. But there is one other thing to think about. I for one trust in Charlie and Company in that they are going to get it done. I would 100% prefer they take their time and make sure everyone is trained and they get the bugs out (Sorry Bug). So as to NOT rush these games out the door with issues and problems. They are upping their workload and hopefully the experienced guys are starting Alice. As another said Alice is more complicated then TNA. It looks like a lot more parts. Charlie I hope those Butter Cabs are on order. With that artwork I would think you will see a huge bump in Butter cab orders. Can you tell us if that is true?
Magicchiz

FB_IMG_1483633169870 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1483633169870 (resized).jpg
#3400 5 years ago
Quoted from BOHICA:

#250 - My first pin and after getting about 20 plays on ACNC at SFGE and talking to everyone at Spooky, it only further validated my decision. It played great, looked great, and felt great! I'm excited to see how far the code has come along.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,057 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
There are 5,659 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-pinball-3rd-game-500-units/page/68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.