20190713_095053 (resized).jpg
1E2543A6-76CD-414C-8428-6EAFC19DC7A4 (resized).jpeg
5FD92BFD-5474-499C-80E2-94F7706DD8B3 (resized).jpeg
BDE82F91-513F-4D7D-A545-66B29EB0122A (resized).jpeg
9CF3561A-630B-45FF-8ABB-FEF2017C0FEF (resized).jpeg
ef13dad8c5d55f656a8e28a6f59e4a50abffcfcb (resized).png
BG01 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,659 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 114.
#2802 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

RD is spot on. The section Where pinballstar is setup has power issues. Not enough line voltage and ACNC is at the end of a long extension to get the power.

Does ACNC use a switching supply or a transformer?

#2803 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Does ACNC use a switching supply or a transformer?

Presumably what ever TNA uses.

Not sure what P3-ROC based systems usually use.

#2804 5 years ago

jyVX50tN_0510141219571 (resized).jpgjyVX50tN_0510141219571 (resized).jpg

#2805 5 years ago

Is ACNC using EOS switches?

#2806 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Not sure what P3-ROC based systems usually use.

The boards don't care. They just want DC voltages from somewhere and common ground.

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#2807 5 years ago

ACNC has some of the best animations that I have seen.

IMG_2749 (resized).JPGIMG_2749 (resized).JPG

IMG_2746 (resized).JPGIMG_2746 (resized).JPG

#2808 5 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

ACNC has some of the best animations that I have seen.

You are not kidding. Went with a friend and picked up a TNA in person at Spooky headquarters.
Charlie, Kayte, and Fawzma were so nice and giving of their time. Got to see the Vampire mode. All I can say is it fucking amazing what everybody has put together. Including Zornow, and David Van Es. The comic book style and animations are incredible.

Dont be fooled or let down but this early code.
With fawzma and Bowen polishing the rules. When complete this will be a out of this world game.
Magicchiz

#2810 5 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

You are not kidding. Went with a friend and picked up a TNA in person at Spooky headquarters.
Charlie, Kayte, and Fawzma were so nice and giving of their time. Got to see the Vampire mode. All I can say is it fucking amazing what everybody has put together. Including Zornow, and David Van Es. The comic book style and animations are incredible.
Dont be fooled or let down but this early code.
With fawzma and Bowen polishing the rules. When complete this will be a out of this world game.
Magicchiz

Glad to hear it and love that you keep this thread up with posts and pics!

I have been waiting excitedly waiting for pinfest to come and go. Not being able to attend I've been wanting to see and hear all things ACNC and JJPOTC. I am quite surprised, there is just not much being said/shared on either. I hope that the 500 count for ACNC has been slurped up and production can now press forward without having to wait for another show to, show it off.

#2811 5 years ago

Zornow posted these backgrounds.
Magicchiz

FB_IMG_1525385744005 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1525385744005 (resized).jpg

#2812 5 years ago

FB_IMG_1525385732912 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1525385732912 (resized).jpg

#2813 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Glad to hear it and love that you keep this thread up with posts and pics!
I have been waiting excitedly waiting for pinfest to come and go. Not being able to attend I've been wanting to see and hear all things ACNC and JJPOTC. I am quite surprised, there is just not much being said/shared on either. I hope that the 500 count for ACNC has been slurped up and production can now press forward without having to wait for another show to, show it off.

Very difficult to review the game from playing at Pinfest. I played with 3 other seasoned competitive pinball guys and none of us came away with a positive reaction. Flippers were too weak to make the right ramp. No one made it to the upper playfield.

Arrow insert for the left orbit looks like it point towards the target , just to the left. I remember inserts in general being small and not as helpful as the screen.

A lot of shots look way tight (tighter than Houdini?) but with no reason to go for ramp , you were limited. Almost every shot is in the same location (same distance from flippers so to speak) on the lower playfield.

Animations looked cool. Couldn't really hear sound either. Art and playfield molded plastics are awesome.

Not looking to rain on the parade here as the layout does look excellent. Unless you are already excited for this title i doubt that people who played this example got excited about it. I am confused about it myself as i was expecting more.

Not sure what Joe could have done differently , but i hope if he reads this he can take away some constructive criticism from it.

For reference: I do like Houdini

#2814 5 years ago

Well, this is troubling.

Quoted from ezeltmann:

Very difficult to review the game from playing at Pinfest. I played with 3 other seasoned competitive pinball guys and none of us came away with a positive reaction. Flippers were too weak to make the right ramp. No one made it to the upper playfield.
Arrow insert for the left orbit looks like it point towards the target , just to the left. I remember inserts in general being small and not as helpful as the screen.
A lot of shots look way tight (tighter than Houdini?) but with no reason to go for ramp , you were limited. Almost every shot is in the same location (same distance from flippers so to speak) on the lower playfield.
Animations looked cool. Couldn't really hear sound either. Art and playfield molded plastics are awesome.
Not looking to rain on the parade here as the layout does look excellent. Unless you are already excited for this title i doubt that people who played this example got excited about it. I am confused about it myself as i was expecting more.
Not sure what Joe could have done differently , but i hope if he reads this he can take away some constructive criticism from it.

#2815 5 years ago

I really want to like this machine, but playing it was underwhelming. No idea what I was doing but it was super generous with giving out ball saves. I'll check it out down the road once it's been polished up.

#2816 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

A lot of shots look way tight (tighter than Houdini?) but with no reason to go for ramp , you were limited.

Not sure how you came to this conclusion? Shots are not any tighter than Houdini (yes, I played Houdini at two shows now). Reason to go for ramp is to lock balls and get to upper playfield. But ya, the weak flippers are a problem. This has to be addressed if not due to low voltage at festival.

#2817 5 years ago

It would be nice if Spooky could have Bowen post a video of some gameplay without any voltage issues or what not so prospective buyers can see the game being played as intended.

#2818 5 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

It would be nice if Spooky could have Bowen post a video of some gameplay without any voltage issues or what not so prospective buyers can see the game being played as intended.

Def like to see that. I always like to be reminded what a crapper I am!

#2819 5 years ago

Played Alice at TPF and the flippers were strong, felt like the TNA that was sitting next to it. Don't know if it is because of voltages at the show or some adjustments that need to be made but I would bet that it won't be an issue on production games.

It is unfortunate the game was gimped at the show for anyone playing for the first time and considering buying

#2820 5 years ago

Voltage was low in joes booth.
Houdini and also Alice experienced weak flippers. I could tell immediately because the scoop on Houdini had trouble kicking the bell out and the catapult missed every time.

I played Alice a few times and was able to get the ball up the left ramp, lock balls, hit the guillotine and battles a monster and get the gimme multi ball. You had to compensate with a fast insane ball the do the Ramps to get some help.

I enjoyed the animations, the shots are ok, and the room, item ideas are pretty cool. The drain save was neat. I could barely hear the music and call outs since the entire show was noisy. The software was a bit immature but what was there worked even if a few of modes had placeholder text. I like that David had the ball saves on frequent and the gimme multiball gave everyone a chance to feel part of the game. The game looks good both inside and out and Once the software has more time to cook it will be really fun.

Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Not sure how you came to this conclusion. Shots are not any tighter than Houdini? Reason to go for ramp is to lock balls and get to upper playfield. But ya, the weak flippers are a problem. This has to be addressed if not due to low voltage at festival.

#2821 5 years ago

Nobody likes to play a game with weak flippers, I can see why it may have been a fail because of it. This is an easy fix, whether it's a stronger coil, programming, or voltage, I'm sure they'll do better here.

I think charlie said they were going to post some gameplay vid after pinfest with the better but still incomplete code to give us an idea of how this thing will roll.

#2822 5 years ago

I had the first day email in my inbox from my fave Spooky distributor, money in hand as well, wanted this game BAD as it is gorgeous and I like the theme a lot.

And then I saw the early videos, one even posted by Charlie himself, and realized that all castles are obviously build from bricks.

It is wonderful to know that the Spooky love is strong enough to sell out all 500, wish it would have been a game for me.

#2823 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

It is wonderful to know that the Spooky love is strong enough to sell out all 500, wish it would have been a game for me.

So they have sold out all 500?

#2824 5 years ago

Coils on Spooky games are usually nuclear - too strong. Doubt the flippers will be too weak. So the voltage explanation sounds about right.

As to the rest, hopefully they continue to tune and make minor changes up to production.

#2825 5 years ago

I'm with you 100% on your impressions of the game at the show. I got to play the game at its new home in Spooky East HQ (Mass) after it left the show, and the ramps and other shots were all makeable. Obviously, that made a big difference. The upper playfield definitely has potential for fun.

I also got to have a long talk with Bowen about where the rules and programming in general are headed. I think people will be pleased with the end result. Like you said, the layout is pretty good. I really like the art, too.

I'm sure the team is taking all criticism to heart, and will use it to help deliver the best game possible.

I probably can't share too many specifics on plans for the code, but let me know if you have questions you think I *could* answer.

Quoted from ezeltmann:

#2826 5 years ago

Papa's got a new bag...Or I mean Avatar.
d344234c7a691a5e0b6c9b65c236330fbdb5c292 (resized).jpgd344234c7a691a5e0b6c9b65c236330fbdb5c292 (resized).jpg

#2827 5 years ago

I don't understand, they spend all this time, and money going to shows, when they can't post a good gameplay video with Bowen (or anyone else decent at Pinball, sorry Charlie!). Instead we get updates in the thread from the couple people at each show that play it and are underwhelmed by various reasons. It seems like at this point time would be better spent not going to shows every couple weeks, especially since the game is almost sold out anyway.

We understand code is rough at this point, but if it's good enough for a show, why is it not good enough for a decent video just to show us that it shoots well at least?

#2828 5 years ago

I was under the impression that with bringing Bowen on-board for rules/software help, there were going to significant changes to how the game will play. Bowen is just getting underway, so let's give him a bit of time to get something put together that will be closer to the final product. No sense in taking the time and effort to create a video of a game that is going to end up bearing no resemblance to what will actually be released.

In regard to weak flippers, I'd chalk it up to low line voltage. The flippers were fine when I played it at MGC, albeit early in the day. Remember, these games are prototypes and have been played non-stop at shows and are bound to have some items wear & tear as a result.

#2829 5 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I don't understand, they spend all this time, and money going to shows, when they can't post a good gameplay video with Bowen (or anyone else decent at Pinball, sorry Charlie!). Instead we get updates in the thread from the couple people at each show that play it and are underwhelmed by various reasons. It seems like at this point time would be better spent not going to shows every couple weeks, especially since the game is almost sold out anyway.
We understand code is rough at this point, but it's good enough for a show, why is it not good enough for a decent video just to show us that it shoots well at least?

The problem with posting videos while it’s still being developed is that no one on Pinside seems to understand the ‘still being developed’ part and immediately start picking apart things that aren’t finished yet. Charlie did post a video so that people could see it at that stage of development and his reward was hearing people gripe about a bunch of things still being worked on. Also, they switched from the Ben Heck board to the P3 platform just a few months ago so they’re still working on issues with that. I believe Jack is waiting to film some gameplay until they update the software in order to be fair to Spooky.

#2830 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

We played some and we made it to upper playfield.... but we didn't really care for the gameplay and the shots. Good news is i get to save almost 7k and will be getting a maidien premium .

#2831 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

I was under the impression that with bringing Bowen on-board for rules/software help, there were going to significant changes to how the game will play. Bowen is just getting underway, so let's give him a bit of time to get something put together that will be closer to the final product. No sense in taking the time and effort to create a video of a game that is going to end up bearing no resemblance to what will actually be released.
In regard to weak flippers, I'd chalk it up to low line voltage. The flippers were fine when I played it at MGC, albeit early in the day. Remember, these games are prototypes and have been played non-stop at shows and are bound to have some items wear & tear as a result.

Weak flippers at Pinfest were completely due to low show voltage in that part of the building. I played the game when first set up and made sure it was level before the show was underway and it was plenty strong. Made all the shots with ease.

Later in the day, all the games in tha section had issues. Many of the WPC games in the booth nextdoor were resetting due to line voltage issues.

#2832 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Quoted from BudManPinFan:

The problem with posting videos while it’s still being developed is that no one on Pinside seems to understand the ‘still being developed’ part and immediately start picking apart things that aren’t finished yet. Charlie did post a video so that people could see it at that stage of development and his reward was hearing people gripe about a bunch of things still being worked on. Also, they switched from the Ben Heck board to the P3 platform just a few months ago so they’re still working on issues with that. I believe Jack is waiting to film some gameplay until they update the software in order to be fair to Spooky.

Except, again, they are okay with bringing the game to the show to let people experience it. The "effort" in making a video is about 1/10th of the effort required to travel for a show for multiple days. It's not even like most of the show goers are as aware of the state of the game like we are. We all understand "under development", they should give us more credit than that. The randoms at a show though? That's a different story!

#2833 5 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I don't understand, they spend all this time, and money going to shows, when they can't post a good gameplay video with Bowen (or anyone else decent at Pinball, sorry Charlie!). Instead we get updates in the thread from the couple people at each show that play it and are underwhelmed by various reasons

probably because people are busy There is still plenty of time to sell games... less so to make them. Bowen was traveling for work last week at least.. and he was at allentown this week.

Remember.. Bowen working for spooky isn't the same as bowen being in WI all the time with spooky

#2834 5 years ago

Weak flippers have never been a problem on Spooky games, including TNA on Proc- no reason why it would start now.

#2835 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Weak flippers have never been a problem on Spooky games, including TNA on Proc- no reason why it would start now.

The problem appears to be low voltage at shows.

#2836 5 years ago

alicesidelong (resized).jpgalicesidelong (resized).jpg

#2837 5 years ago

So nobody knows if ACNC uses a transformer?

Seems like it is if low line voltage is an issue. If that's the case, it's surprising. Modern pins should be using switching supplies that would perform as expected even in lower line voltage situations.

#2838 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

probably because people are busy There is still plenty of time to sell games... less so to make them. Bowen was traveling for work last week at least.. and he was at allentown this week.
Remember.. Bowen working for spooky isn't the same as bowen being in WI all the time with spooky

Sorry, not buying it. Charlie has said several times they are waiting until the code is more complete before doing a "real" video.

#2839 5 years ago

We all just need to clam down and enjoy the Alice photos ( Hehe just keeping it towards the top).

I talked to Zornow, just last week he finished the Tentacle Monster mode art. So they are working on getting stuff finished up.

Then Bowen has to have time to give his input. David (Fawzma) is only one person and I know he is working on stuff as fast as possible.

They have a good 3 to 4 weeks before they said anything about production ramp up.

The game I played at spooky Headquarters had plenty of flipper power and could get up the right ramp fine.

At least they let you see it and we can see it grow to what it will become. In a way it gives you and spooky a chance to give and take input and make the game the best it can be.

If you have any doubt, don't buy it. My guess they are in the mid 400's. So not much more time to decide.

Anyone get one recent and have a number?

Magicchiz

#2840 5 years ago

16702e033ab3029bd1a748cd17741db2 (resized).jpg16702e033ab3029bd1a748cd17741db2 (resized).jpg

#2841 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

The problem appears to be low voltage at shows.

I agree. The Houdinin next to it had the same issue. The upkick usually needed a few tries to make it, and the trunk shot came up short every time for me as well. So I think it was just a voltage issue.
But it was nice to see ACNC in person and get an idea what it is like. The art, animations, and toys really look great in person.

#2842 5 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

We all just need to clam down and enjoy the Alice photos ( Hehe just keeping it towards the top).

Yeah, you are right... why bother having any sort of discussion. Let's just continue posting random Alice Cooper pics every day.

#2843 5 years ago

fa·ce·tious

/fəˈsēSHəs/

adjective

adjective: facetious

treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

synonyms: flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous; More

#2844 5 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Yeah, you are right... why bother having any sort of discussion. Let's just continue posting random Alice Cooper pics every day.

Did you read where I gave you info from Zornow? Instead of complaining the flippers were weak!

Magicchiz

#2845 5 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Sorry, not buying it. Charlie has said several times they are waiting until the code is more complete before doing a "real" video.

I've heard the flippers are weak, the shots are too tight, they were cheap asses and put a bunch of posts instead of tiny little shaved down standups, the code is non existent, and that the sky is falling and the world will end tomorrow..............

These are toys, if you don't like it enough to buy it then don't buy it. Spooky has never had issues with weak flippers so it likely was a power issue. The shots are tight and some people will not like that. It has lots of posts. The code is very early due to the last minute change to PROC with Ben leaving. I personally am glad they made the change as PROC provides a lot more options for the future. They have sold enough of them that they likely are not worried about advertising much as they have a ton of work to do to get TNA out and get to the start of ACNC production with enough code completed to have the game in good shape at shipping. Some people will love the game, some people will think it's ok, some people will claim it's the worst thing ever made. If the first 30 or so games ship with good reviews it's not going to matter if Charlie spends one cent on a video or advertising as word of mouth will be enough to sell the remaining games.

#2846 5 years ago

Okay, I get it, I'll show myself the door!

#2847 5 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Okay, I get it, I'll show myself the door!

No need for that. State what you don't like about the game, it's just your opinion and everyone's will be different. These are just toys for a hobby though so everyone needs to take this stuff a little less serious though.

#2848 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

No need for that. State what you don't like about the game, it's just your opinion and everyone's will be different. These are just toys for a hobby though so everyone needs to take this stuff a little less serious though.

Yes, but very expensive toys!

#2849 5 years ago

We cranked the flipper power up after MGC... super snappy, so it had to be a voltage draw issue at the show. It was hitting plenty hard here all week prior to the show.

Bowen took that game home, so patience on the video stuff. He just got it!

#2850 5 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We cranked the flipper power up after MGC... super snappy, so it had to be a voltage draw issue at the show. It was hitting plenty hard here all week prior to the show.
Bowen took that game home, so patience on the video stuff. He just got it!

game played fine on Thursday and Friday morning before show opened, so it was 100% voltage draw at the show during the time the show was open.

I played a test game on it Friday morning to make sure it was level and hit all the ramps and shots cleanly with plenty of power.
Granted the game got played pretty much non-stop at the show so i am sure beyond the power, that things could have gotten hot over time.

I am excited that Bowen now has the game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 300.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 14.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,659 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-pinball-3rd-game-500-units/page/57 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.