20190713_095053 (resized).jpg
1E2543A6-76CD-414C-8428-6EAFC19DC7A4 (resized).jpeg
5FD92BFD-5474-499C-80E2-94F7706DD8B3 (resized).jpeg
BDE82F91-513F-4D7D-A545-66B29EB0122A (resized).jpeg
9CF3561A-630B-45FF-8ABB-FEF2017C0FEF (resized).jpeg
ef13dad8c5d55f656a8e28a6f59e4a50abffcfcb (resized).png
BG01 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,659 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 114.
#2601 5 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Right now we've only got 1 voice in the game with little work done to any of it... remember we switched systems just a short time ago? Not going to have this flooded with monster growls, werewolves, Igor, and Alice all jacked up in a month.

a page back charlie said this, i assume there will be more variety and emotion added into the callouts

#2602 5 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Playing badly is also NOT going to get Alice "animated" as he directs you around the castle,

This quote also indicates that the callouts get more lively as gameplay progresses.

#2603 5 years ago

Good gawd people... pinball & game designers/developers/manufacturers get beat up for all the wrong reasons. We are all extremely lucky to have them making any sort of game in the first place as they don't have to, and we should respect them for all their extremely hard work. NOTHING is perfect. Every game whether it's video or pinball based are built for "fun". Isn't that what pinball is? Fun?! Spooky could just up and say here's your money back, we're not making games anymore. Then what? Was all the whining over trivial things such as callouts, posts not in the spots where you want them, etc worth all the crying over? If you personally know so much about games, and what makes them universally loved by even the harshest critics... go make one. Let alone make a game that costs millions to develop in the first place. I think Charlie and everyone at Spooky are doing everything they can to make each and every one of their games the very best they can be... Now let's just give them the space and time to dial this one in. It's going to be amazing. I played it. It's not perfect... but damn... it's fun!

#2604 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Greenborenet just likes to pick on any new game that people like. He never plays them, just watches videos and write diatribes. He is honestly best if just ignored. Maybe he will eventually go away when he realizes people are tired of his constant negativity and opinions based solely on video watching.

As I said earlier.. He's a DRAMA QUEEN!

#2605 5 years ago

Charlie... never put a spinning disk in your game.... Trust me.

#2606 5 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

Charlie... never put a spinning disk in your game.... Trust me.

Hey now - nothing wrong with spinning discs in general!

#2607 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

- Guillotine, which is loaded by backhanding on the upper playfield. It locks the ball then severs them like it's chopping off a head.

Combined with an appropriate animation on the LCD, timed guillotine release, and sound effect, this may be the best pinball gimmick ever.

I keep laughing out loud. It's been 5 minutes since I read that.

I want to work at spooky. I'll sweep the floors, take care of the f-ing snow, and clean the employee bathrooms. I don't care. I just want to work there.

#2608 5 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

this may be the best pinball gimmick ever.

Yeah, I don't know how they could have done an Alice machine without incorporating the guillotine.

#2609 5 years ago

It’s funny....people complaining over something that’s not finished or released and was never claimed to be. Charlie has been pretty open about everything and a great member of the pinside community....now he takes a break which hurts us all.

And I’m just over here refreshing my email constantly hoping I get my number soon, that it’s low, and I get my machine fast so I can show it off to all my friends and then put it on the Facebook campus for 1,000’s to enjoy!!!

#2610 5 years ago

Man, I can't believe the tone took a dive in this thread. I think the game looks amazing! What I got to play of it at TPF really had me feeling good about what it can shape up to be, and that was only experiencing the game at a very basic level. The game's layout has so many cool things going on, and it really feels like Spooky has take a leap forward in game design. With Bowen helping to create and evolve the rules, it's going to be in a good place.

If you haven't flipped on the machine, you really can't make all that strong of a judgment about how well it shoots. Everybody was saying that Houdini was a brick fest and clunky, but when I finally got a chance to play a production version of the game, I found it to be really smooth and enjoyable. Deciding whether or not a game is awesome based on some cell phone clip is a bad way to go about pinball machine shopping!

I can't wait to see how this continues to develop. I could easily see myself getting on the list to buy one or hunting down a secondhand game in the future. For now, I've got TNA coming and that's where my pinball buying focus is at. But this game is going to be cool, don't freak out based on early code video clips.

#2611 5 years ago

Don't fret, green borenet has been banned, so the thread can get back on track.

My favorite shot from playong at MGC is the loopable orbits. Also, the upper PF is possibly the best upper pf of all time. Drop taregt is really cool, multiple fun exits, satisfying to hit the shots, and tough in a good way for sure! Tha upper pf is the sort of upper you actually want to get up to and also keep playing on.

#2612 5 years ago

this is all JJP's fault. lol

#2613 5 years ago

Has anyone listened to Alice Cooper's radio broadcast? Deadpan is the way he talks. Also, his Alice Cooper *character* is a very somber villian.

It you aren't familiar with his public persona and/or the character he has played for the past 40 years, then I can see why you wouldn't understand the delivery of his lines in the pinball machine. Those familiar with this history will.

No game is for everyone, and that's a wonderful thing. For me, it's a dream theme third only to The Ramones (1st) and Bible Adventures (2nd).

Terry.

#2614 5 years ago

I was blown away by the artwork on this in person at MGC. I hadn't seen any pics before of this game. I just knew it existed and walked up to it. It was stunning. Easily spooky's best effort to date.
By Charlie's comments it seems that the game is still more in the beta phase? Is there any time line for production estimated yet at all? Hopefully by Q3?

#2615 5 years ago

Bible Adventures ?

NUDGE NOT!
lest YOU be NUDGED!

#2616 5 years ago

Just played 10 to 12 games on ACNC at PATZ. I'll start off by saying that I have no money down and won't have money down on the pin ONLY because Cooper as a theme itself does nothing for me.

That being said, I thought the game was freakin' awesome. Yes, the shots are tight, but when you get in a groove it's really fun to play. The upper playfield is really sweet as well. Multiple shots that can be easily hit. The only thing thst disappointed me was when I finally able to get the center magnet active, it caught the ball, then threw it straight down. Kind of a WTF moment.

As far as the Alice callouts go, I thought that they all sounded good, and I only scratched the surface of what is in it. I watched the YouTube vid that everyone is talking about and thought the callouts sounded horrible too. But during gameplay I thought they fit in perfectly.

Lastly the LCD animations are phenomenal. Makes me even more disappointed in Sterns animations for Maiden. Spooky kicked Sterns ass in that department.

Everyone that's in on this pin and freaking out, just relax. I don't think you'll be disappointed. If this pin were themed with something I could get in to, I'd be emailing in the morning to get in line.

#2617 5 years ago

I don't get the "freak out" either. It's a different pin with great art, cool animations, Bowen assisting with rules (that alone is HUGE), and "different" is a great thing.

For me the theme is perfect, nightmare haunted castle that just happens to be based around Alice Cooper appropriate tunes.

I got to meet AC in Maui years ago. My dad played golf with him. He couldn't believe what a normal nice guy he was! And good golfer/sports fan.

#2618 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Just played 10 to 12 games on ACNC at PATZ.

Awesome post! Thank a million!
I am going to PATZ tomorrow! Can't wait!

e582f106e93d1aa7bc21af2a241ecdfa96514fe5 (resized).jpge582f106e93d1aa7bc21af2a241ecdfa96514fe5 (resized).jpg

#2619 5 years ago

Don't get me wrong, i'm super excited about this title, i'm just hoping that the audio is as high end as the rest of the game. From what you guys are saying, the callouts were designed this way and will work well. I guess i just need to shut up and get on board.

#2620 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

The only thing thst disappointed me was when I finally able to get the center magnet active, it caught the ball, then threw it straight down. Kind of a WTF moment.

That could actually make me laugh under the right circumstances. I mean if they could code it to do that randomly a low percentage of the time when you weren't expecting it. A true WTF moment combined with a proper Alice Cooper insult.

I have a Golden Eye and its one of the coolest features in any game, ever. Not only saves the center drain but will also grab either side drain, wobble the ball into place with its grab, steady it, then fling it back into play between the flippers. I expect Spooky code when completed will have some fun with this.
I also expect the real world wait time for me to get this game is going to feel a lot looooooonger than 18 months.

#2621 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

That could actually make me laugh under the right circumstances. I mean if they could code it to do that randomly a low percentage of the time when you weren't expecting it. A true WTF moment combined with a proper Alice Cooper insult.
I have a Golden Eye and its one of the coolest features in any game, ever. Not only saves the center drain but will also grab either side drain, wobble the ball into place with its grab, steady it, then fling it back into play between the flippers. I expect Spooky code when completed will have some fun with this.
I also expect the real world wait time for me to get this game is going to feel a lot looooooonger than 18 months.

that would be hilarious if done well! Love the idea Kim!

You do something wrong and it acts like you get a ball save but kills your flippers, catches the ball again and tosses it straight down the drain with a great call out mocking you, LOL!!!!

The mangasave is really cool on ACNC but is obviously dependent on pitch and code is early.

#2623 5 years ago

Isn't saying call-outs from Alice Cooper in ACNC are flat, like saying call-outs from Elvira in Scared Stiff are cheesy?

Just sayin'

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2627 5 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

» YouTube video

Neat, I didn't know that behind the scenes look at it was available, but I did get to see it in person that year

As for the callouts, if they start out bland and ramp up with achievements in the game as suggested (perhaps similar to BSD), then what we've heard so far could actually work well to build excitement. Otherwise, I'm loving everything I see on this game and fail to understand the post target criticism--the majority of my games don't have targets at every post (or any).

#2628 5 years ago

I'm a ACNC preorder and recently received my TNA which has had a little trouble from the start. What other company's owner personally responds to your emails and walks you through the fix along with the support team? I'm telling you, it is that kind of outstanding customer service that wins friends and repeat sales!

Seems like most people simply need to let Spooky do their thing. Remember all the naysayers about the TNA graphics when they were first released? TNA graphics are fantastic and fit the pin great. I swear, a lot of folks have too much time on their hands.

#2629 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

What other company's owner personally responds to your emails and walks you through the fix along with the support team? I'm telling you, it is that kind of outstanding customer service that wins friends and repeat sales!

That's nothing! *sarcasm*
When my Full Throttle broke down I had, to my surprise, their owner call me repeatedly, on a Saturday afternoon - making it well past midnight UK time - on my cell phone!!

Turned out he saw that I held a Doctorate when reading my emails and tried to make me invest in his pinballl company, my FTh was never even addressed.

True story.

#2630 5 years ago

OK Gents,
I went to PATZ yesterday and had a lot of play time on ACNC! I was lucky that they had the machine separated from all the others and I could hear the sounds very well. As stated by others here, that video above does it absolutely no justice! Alice Cooper is great! The call outs sound right and it is with out a doubt one of the most beautiful pins I have ever seen! The cabinet and playfield art are awesome! The theme for me is perfect. I don't know what it is about that video, but in hearing the sound in real life, Alice's voice is much more full bodied and resonant. The audio system on this game is killer, just like TNA, (which I also played, and it is awesome btw). So with all the fidelity, especially low end frequency, and the fact that the back round sounds and music are present, it sounds great! I have no complaints and I was skeptical after hearing that shit video as well.
So I hope this puts to rest the Alice call out dilemma!

As far as how it played? There is good news and bad..
The bad news is that the game was not operating correctly. Three problems:

1) Flippers were too weak. This caused the right ramp shot to the upper playfield to not make the climb and roll back down most of the time I managed to make the shot which is challenging. There are some tight shots here, but that is going to make it fun, not too hard. I don't want any pin for home use that isn't a challenge! I think this is something that will be corrected or wasn't intended. After all, this is one of only two prototypes I was told.

2) Slings were way too insensitive. A simple adjustment was needed here.

3) The "back from the dead" magnet below the flippers wasn't working correctly. It would grab the ball but only shoot it about an inch up and then it would fall back down to drain.

Given these shortcomings, it was really not possible to experience a proper game. Everyone I watched as well as myself, rarely made the upper playfield and as a result, I never witnessed the second ball lock (2nd castle window to the right of the 1st castle window). Also, I only saw one guy shoot the upper playfield and make the right habitrail shot back to the flipper in-lane via the cool habitrail swirly (which is cool).

With that said,
The game has great potential and I am super excited for mine! It will scare you at times and catch you off guard if you are snoozing.
The LCD animations are great, the spinner is rewarding, the loop shots are challenging (it's how you select your room/monster) and I can't wait to see the finished product!

*** One suggestion Spooky, you need to angle the LCD back more. The viewing angle for taller people like myself (6'2") causes the screen to become somewhat washed out. When I crouch down a few inches, it looks way more crisp and clear.

I'm not worried that this won't be a killer pin!

#2631 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

That's nothing! *sarcasm*
When my Full Throttle broke down I had, to my surprise, their owner call me repeatedly, on a Saturday afternoon - making it well past midnight UK time - on my cell phone!!
Turned out he saw that I held a Doctorate when reading my emails and tried to make me invest in his pinballl company, my FTh was never even addressed.
True story.

Wow, that guy really pegged out the dirtbag meter.

Spooky customer service is top notch. They’ve always promptly answered my emails and got replacement pieces to me when needed.

#2632 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

OK Gents,
I went to PATZ yesterday and had a lot of play time on ACNC! I was lucky that they had the machine separated from all the others and I could hear the sounds very well. As stated by others here, that video above does it absolutely no justice! Alice Cooper is great! The call outs sound right and it is with out a doubt one of the most beautiful pins I have ever seen! The cabinet and playfield art are awesome! The theme for me is perfect. I don't know what it is about that video, but in hearing the sound in real life, Alice's voice is much more full bodied and resonant. The audio system on this game is killer, just like TNA, (which I also played, and it is awesome btw). So with all the fidelity, especially low end frequency, and the fact that the back round sounds and music are present, it sounds great! I have no complaints and I was skeptical after hearing that shit video as well.
So I hope this puts to rest the Alice call out dilemma!
As far as how it played? There is good news and bad..
The bad news is that the game was not operating correctly. Three problems:
1) Flippers were too weak. This caused the right ramp shot to the upper playfield to not make the climb and roll back down most of the time I managed to make the shot which is challenging. There are some tight shots here, but that is going to make it fun, not too hard. I don't want any pin for home use that isn't a challenge! I think this is something that will be corrected or wasn't intended. After all, this is one of only two prototypes I was told.
2) Slings were way too insensitive. A simple adjustment was needed here.
3) The "back from the dead" magnet below the flippers wasn't working correctly. It would grab the ball but only shoot it about an inch up and then it would fall back down to drain.
Given these shortcomings, it was really not possible to experience a proper game. Everyone I watched as well as myself, rarely made the upper playfield and as a result, I never witnessed the second ball lock (2nd castle window to the right of the 1st castle window). Also, I only saw one guy shoot the upper playfield and make the right habitrail shot back to the flipper in-lane via the cool habitrail swirly (which is cool).
With that said,
The game has great potential and I am super excited for mine! It will scare you at times and catch you off guard if you are snoozing.
The LCD animations are great, the spinner is rewarding, the loop shots are challenging (it's how you select your room/monster) and I can't wait to see the finished product!
*** One suggestion Spooky, you need to angle the LCD back more. The viewing angle for taller people like myself (6'2") causes the screen to become somewhat washed out. When I crouch down a few inches, it looks way more crisp and clear.
I'm not worried that this won't be a killer pin!

Very glad you enjoyed playing the game.

On the flippers, this is very early software and there is no flipper stregth adustments yet. Although they could probably go up just a bit, I played several games a day on it, and solid shots to each ramp always made it.

You must have played early Friday as I adusted the slings and they were perfect after that and all day Saturday.

The magnet save is a cool feature, and again, very earlier code. Even perfectly dialed in though, there will be times that the ball goes where you don't want or expect. Just the nature of the beast. It seemed most of the time for me though it would grab the ball and throw it up just a bit and lightly land on the left flipper.

I hope folks enjoyed playing it at the show. It was great to have it there for people to see in person. Everyone just needs to keep in mind this is very early software on a prototype game. Things will only get better.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#2633 5 years ago

Any word on game numbers and when they will actually start building these?

#2634 5 years ago

Alice Cooper's Nightmare castle pinball. Will be great again!
Magicchiz

alice-cooper-president-1 (resized).pngalice-cooper-president-1 (resized).png

#2635 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Very glad you enjoyed playing the game.
You must have played early Friday as I adusted the slings and they were perfect after that and all day Saturday.

Yes, I was there Friday until closing.
As far as flipper strength, several people throughout the day commented that they were too weak and I would say at least 75% of the time, the right ramp shot would not make it up to the mini playfield. I played a lot of games throughout the 7 hrs I was there and watched many others play as well, so I have a pretty good idea about it.
Cheers!

#2636 5 years ago

For the skeptics here, all you have to do is look at that mic setup on that video. They have one mic on one speaker. How is that supposed to capture the proper mix and fidelity? Standing in front of the pin, Alice's voice sounds far better than this video suggests.
This is why bands record in professional recording studios and not with one mic hanging from someones basement ceiling.

#2637 5 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

Not yet.

#2638 5 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

Someone can correct me if I am wrong , but I believe it was said Spooky plans to start production sometime in July? I do know they did say once production starts the plan is to have all 500 built in 18 months .

#2639 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Someone can correct me if I am wrong , but I believe it was said Spooky plans to start production sometime in July? I do know they did say once production starts the plan is to have all 500 built in 18 months .

They had told me June at TPF, but that may have slipped a month.

#2640 5 years ago

All correspondence I've seen so far has been June, haven't seen anything yet that's said July

#2641 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

They had told me June at TPF, but that may have slipped a month.

It looks as though you are correct . I just went and checked my initial email about this game and it does say their goal is to have some of the first games shipping by June . I have not heard anything to suggest that they have changed that goal .

#2642 5 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

All correspondence I've seen so far has been June, haven't seen anything yet that's said July

Yep sorry , after checking my email again June was the target start . Sorry for the confusion ,June is just around the corner looks like we'll all know more soon .

#2643 5 years ago

In anticipation of receiving this masterpiece, what tools/supplies should I go ahead and purchase as this will be my first pin (I have basic hand tools and soldering equipment).

#2644 5 years ago

Up until 2 weeks ago I would have said "Helmut's Phone Number"

#2645 5 years ago
Quoted from GuiitarMan:

In anticipation of receiving this masterpiece, what tools/supplies should I go ahead and purchase as this will be my first pin (I have basic hand tools and soldering equipment).

Basic tools to get the legs on and head bolt in.
A switch adjustment tool is a good thing to have around .
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518

#2646 5 years ago

What about cleaning? Any must have books/guides on troubleshooting/repair?

#2647 5 years ago
Quoted from GuiitarMan:

Plenty of knowledge here on pinside as to cleaning , troubleshooting and repair . Spooky's tech support is awesome too, don't be afraid to contact them if you have an issue you can't resolve .

#2648 5 years ago
Quoted from GuiitarMan:

It's all here on Pinside. Best source and help you will find anywhere. Vid's guides are great. He will show you the proper way to clean and wax playfield.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guides-collected

#2649 5 years ago

The coins sound effect sounds like a take from Diablo video game

#2650 5 years ago

Is DeadFlip still doing a vid?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods
Plastics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
There are 5,659 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-pinball-3rd-game-500-units/page/53?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.