20190713_095053 (resized).jpg
1E2543A6-76CD-414C-8428-6EAFC19DC7A4 (resized).jpeg
5FD92BFD-5474-499C-80E2-94F7706DD8B3 (resized).jpeg
BDE82F91-513F-4D7D-A545-66B29EB0122A (resized).jpeg
9CF3561A-630B-45FF-8ABB-FEF2017C0FEF (resized).jpeg
ef13dad8c5d55f656a8e28a6f59e4a50abffcfcb (resized).png
BG01 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,659 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 114.
#1151 6 years ago

New proprietary system, old system, PROC...whatever. How does the game play, look, and sound?

#1152 6 years ago

Green jacket, gold jacket, who gives a shit

I’m super excited to see this game as well. I wish they would just release the whole game now with some pictures and gameplay video instead of doing a reveal at TPF.

#1153 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

This is the most excited I've been for a release since TNA and I truly mean that as a huge complement.

How much longer is your wait for your TNA?

#1154 6 years ago

I can't afford any NIB games, but I'm still excited for their release though.

#1155 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I can't afford any NIB games.

bummer, I thought you had one on order.

#1156 6 years ago

No. In a perfect world TNA would replace Hardbody in my collection. Having said that, Hardbody is still one of my top "bang for your buck" titles. I know people have mixed feelings about rethemes, but someday I'd like to turn it into a Pandemic (board game). I am still considered selling two machines to fund an Alice Cooper, but it's so hard to choose. I'd likely give up Gold Strike, but I do have fiends that really love playing an EM. Plus, I'd also have sell another game (and still likely add cash). I do have a neighbor that's looking to pickup a few machines, so I'd consider selling a few to him, knowing I'd still have access to them, or perhaps he'll want the Alice Cooper or TNA.

#1157 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I've considered selling two machines to fund an AC, but it's so hard to choose. I'm super happy with my current lineup. Right now I'm just happy guys like you have them on route.

Exactly. The low guys (seems like 20-30% of pin heads) cant afford these games. Id have to sell them all to fund 1 NIB. Just doesnt line up.

#1158 6 years ago

I'd love to support Spooky by buying a NIB. Perhaps, I wouldn't feel so guilty, if my wife or kids were really into pinball, but in reality this is my hobby. They are supportive, so I try to be appreciative and respectful of that without pushing the boundaries too much. I'm thankful for the collection I've been able to acquire over these past six years. It's far beyond what I thought it would become, which give me hope that perhaps someday I'll become a Spooky customer. Until then, I'll enjoy them with friends or on route.

#1159 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I'd love to support Spooky by buying a NIB. Perhaps, I wouldn't feel so guilty, if my wife or kids were really into pinball, but in reality this is my hobby. They are supportive, so I try to be appreciative and respectful of that without pushing the boundaries.

Can you put one out on route (along with a few of your other games)?

The family may be a bit more into it if the hobby slowly paid for the games. Also feels great to be able to share these great games with the public!
I love going in to see new and old faces enjoying the games.

#1160 6 years ago

I've considered it, but most I've spoken with have said it's not worth it for the money. I have a decent relationship with the owner of the local movie theater, so I might be able to take over that route. I have also inquired about machines at a local gaming shop.

#1161 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I've considered it, but most I've spoken with have said it's not worth it for the money. I have a decent relationship with the owner of the local movie theater, so I might be able to take over that route. I have also inquired about machines at a local gaming shop.

Find the best location you can, offer to bring in 4 games and host a 1x per month meetup. Explain that you will maintain the games very well and it will bring in new people.

Ask for 100% of the coin drop and tell them you are willing to do it on a 6 month probationary period so they feel comfortable with knowing if after 6 months they dont like it then the game leave and no hassle.

You wont get rich by any means and it does not bring in much money, but assuming you already own your current collection, then with the right location you could pay off a new TNA over an 18-24 month period (with the help of your other games coin drop).

The positive is that you can then earn new games and have fun meeting some new pinheads (they will come out of the cracks once you start hosting a monthly event and offer a free beer to the winner)

#1162 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

- but sometimes I get a little tired of the “Spooky can do no wrong” fanboy parade.

Spooky can do no wrong.

#1163 6 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

New proprietary system, old system, PROC...whatever. How does the game play, look, and sound?

Awesome! Not that I really "played" it though since there was very little code. But the game looks absolutely fantastic, shoots well, and has some really cool features.

IMHO, this will be an amazing game for Spooky.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#1164 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I've been involved in game design and production and know plenty of people in the industry, both back at Williams and now, but don't let that get in the way of your cute little jab. Don't you have a name to drop somewhere else?

Lighten up, why do people have to make things so personal? It's like 0-60 on the attack dog front when no one was even mentioning you. I was just complaining to Kanye West about this last night.

#1165 6 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing ACNC- i got on the list the day it was announced. I have faith its gonna look great squeezed in between my Metallica and MB.

#1166 6 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Awesome! Not that I really "played" it though since there was very little code. But the game looks absolutely fantastic, shoots well, and has some really cool features.
IMHO, this will be an amazing game for Spooky.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

In a couple weeks, Spooky Pinball will have three wise men visiting from the northwest. We can take pics when Charlie's not looking.

#1167 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

... three wise men visiting from the northwest...

LOL!! The "northwest'"...

'Sota speak for the four hour drive from Minneapolis to Benton!! You crack me up BK!

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#1168 6 years ago

This seems like a mainstream media issue.

So who gives a F.

#1169 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Um, no, SPIKE 2 wasn't made because SPIKE 1 was a failure. It was a more advanced system, needed to drive the LCD display.

Drifting off topic, but, um, Spike 1 was already -intended- to drive LCD displays. But it failed to meet Stern's own requirements so they had to do a take two with Spike 2.

#1170 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

But it failed to meet Stern's own requirements so they had to do a take two with Spike 2.

And then the node boards failed to meet Stern's requirements, so they spun that 2-3 more times so none of those are backwards compatible either. $300 for a node board that can be used on 2 games.

#1171 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Drifting off topic, but, um, Spike 1 was already -intended- to drive LCD displays. But it failed to meet Stern's own requirements so they had to do a take two with Spike 2.

One would think, but they created the boards, so they would have known their own requirements.

SPIKE 1 wasn't a failure, it was just a stop gap.

#1172 6 years ago

For the love of this thread...it is about Spooky pinball, not Stern. PLENTY of other threads to talk about that there. Now, back to the Spooky channel.

#1173 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

One would think, but they created the boards, so they would have known their own requirements.
SPIKE 1 wasn't a failure, it was just a stop gap.

Yes, they did know the requirements, but you obviously don't. You've lost credibility claiming something that is known to be the opposite. Here's a quote from Stern's press release on the original Spike.

The system is designed to facilitate integration of various display technologies such as varying size LCD displays both on the playfield and in the backbox.

#1174 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Yes, they did know the requirements, but you obviously don't. You've lost credibility claiming something that is known to be the opposite. Here's a quote from Stern's press release on the original Spike.

Technically, it did drive an LCD display, on WWE LE. So you've lost credibility.

Now zip it! This is an Alice Cooper forum.

#1175 6 years ago

Everyone, please get back on topic. No need to discuss Stern in this thread. Feel free to pm each other on the matter.

#1176 6 years ago

What a bunch of hand jobs, no one gives a shit about that Stern crap in this thread. You should take your little girl argument elsewhere.

#1177 6 years ago

So..... an Alice Cooper pinball machine you say......

#1178 6 years ago

Do we know that the game will be at TPF for sure? How many? The lines were pretty rough for the new games last year hopefully there is enough!

#1179 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Do we know that the game will be at TPF for sure?

Yes, because it has been documented on the latest teaser.

#1180 6 years ago

2 machines are supposed to be at TPF?

#1181 6 years ago

The game looks great from the teaser video!

#1182 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

2 machines are supposed to be at TPF?

They should bring 4 and sell them all!

#1183 6 years ago

FB_IMG_1505182839489 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1505182839489 (resized).jpg

#1184 6 years ago

I am probably in the minority on the, but the Spooky games aren’t that “exciting to me”. Very basic playfields. Reminds me of the mid 1980’s machines like Motordome. Their themes are very cool.

#1185 6 years ago

I feel the same.

#1186 6 years ago

What are you saying about my game!

FB_IMG_1482770149428 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1482770149428 (resized).jpg

#1187 6 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

I am probably in the minority on the, but the Spooky games aren’t that “exciting to me”. Very basic playfields. Reminds me of the mid 1980’s machines like Motordome. Their themes are very cool.

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle will change your view.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#1188 6 years ago

I hope they bring more than 2 machines!
Less lines = more play = more orders! (easier said than done i know)

#1189 6 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle will change your view.
--
Rob Anthony

Hope you are right. I have played them at the Ohio show. Hoping someone brings the Alice Cooper there for all to see.

#1190 6 years ago

Nevermind.

#1191 6 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

Since we’re not going get much more in that dept. until the big unveil at TPF, it’s fun to talk technical stuff in the meantime.

So, what about flipper latency? Will the flipper response drop everytime the screen has start a new animation sequence? . Why not? How do you test flipper latency?

Will the HD animations run at like 15 frames/sec like spike 2 seems to a lot of the time?

Will AC use the same speaker setup as TNA?

#1192 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

So, what about flipper latency? Will the flipper response drop everytime the screen has start a new animation sequence? . Why not? How do you test flipper latency?
Will the HD animations run at like 15 frames/sec like spike 2 seems to a lot of the time?

Will AC use the same speaker setup as TNA?

1. The system has a different processor that handles the in-game elements like hardware, game rules, etc. The AV is handled by a separate processor so that calling animations won't affect other processes. The flipper control is based on an interrupt so the timing is fairly exact provided that the software engineer doesn't consume most of the IRQ space.

TNA's flipper response timing matches those of WPC games since all of the slings, the pop bumper and flipper switches are handled by the FPGA on the P3-ROC board and not the host running all of the game code.

2. You test flipper latency at first by "feel", and by setting the IRQ timing correctly. If you wanted to, you could hook a scope to it and measure events from button press to coil throw. There is a theoretical latency to everything, obviously.

3. HD animations on pinheck yield about 30fps using graphics acceleration. We got way more than that on TNA since the TNA hardware and operating system were capable of putting out video at 1080p, so no need to worry.

4. AC has a different DAC setup at the moment, so thats TBD regarding the amp that the game will use. Either way, sound will be equally a large focus of the game for obvious reasons.

#1193 6 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

1. The system has a different processor that handles the in-game elements like hardware, game rules, etc. The AV is handled by a separate processor so that calling animations won't affect other processes. The flipper control is based on an interrupt so the timing is fairly exact provided that the software engineer doesn't consume most of the IRQ space.
TNA's flipper response timing matches those of WPC games since all of the slings, the pop bumper and flipper switches are handled by the FPGA on the board and not the host running all of the game code.
2. You test flipper latency at first by "feel", and by setting the IRQ timing correctly. If you wanted to, you could hook a scope to it and measure events from button press to coil throw. There is a theoretical latency to everything, obviously.
3. HD animations on pinheck yield about 30fps using graphics acceleration. We got way more than that on TNA since the TNA hardware and operating system were capable of putting out video at 1080p, so no need to worry.
4. AC has a different DAC setup at the moment, so thats TBD regarding the amp that the game will use. Either way, sound will be equally a large focus of the game for obvious reasons.

You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing.

#1194 6 years ago

No AC pics but Charlie sent me this one this morning from his hotel. He so wishes he had invented this instead of starting a pinball company.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1195 6 years ago

looks like some kind of Multi mode happening

#1196 6 years ago

Someone on Pancake-side would complain about operators eating first.

#1197 6 years ago

cool pic

#1198 6 years ago

Or that there are too many dimples in on the pancake field...

#1199 6 years ago

Looks like the pancake machine has a ramp in it.

#1200 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Exactly. The low guys (seems like 20-30% of pin heads) cant afford these games. Id have to sell them all to fund 1 NIB. Just doesnt line up.

I think you have that backwards.

While Pinside discussions (and the majority of pinball podcasts) seem to focus on the “shiny new toys”, rest assured that the majority of the people in this hobby are buying used games, not NIB ones.

I would flip your equation around and say 20% of pinballers are NIB buyers and 80% are not. Think of the 100s of used pins sold every day on Craigslist etc vs the relatively few that are manufactured every day.

Now, back to Alice! Just a shame I can’t make TPF this year to check it out.

rd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 300.00
Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 14.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
There are 5,659 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-pinball-3rd-game-500-units/page/24?hl=dngrwillrobinson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.