(Topic ID: 296256)

Spooky HALLOWEEN hype thread. Babysitters welcome.

By coasterguy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,090 posts
  • 430 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by Gunner007
  • Topic is favorited by 111 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

utramanpinplastic (resized).png
IMG_0421 (resized).JPG
IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
IMG_0426 (resized).JPG
IMG_0417 (resized).JPG
20220928_203503 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220512_182215 (resized).jpg
true level (resized).png
20220215_183140 (resized).jpg
20220214_203712 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220215_010617367 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220207_174230157 (resized).jpg
C6475CC4-E878-472F-9A3B-DDF806FA4F44 (resized).jpeg
C91EC225-85D7-42B7-A84A-019E59ABF9CF (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220209_222110.jpg
IMG_20220209_222153.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2803 2 years ago
Quoted from freakyvideoguy:

Except it doesn't on Ultraman either
[quoted image][quoted image]

What do you think isn't lined up? I don't see anything wrong

#2805 2 years ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

its less obvious but same flaw, light dosnt fill the window

Eh. That's forgivable. The text for the insert is at least inside the insert.

Probably not as noticeable in person either. The camera really picks up where the LEDs are.

#2807 2 years ago
Quoted from freakyvideoguy:

Yes, I deleted the post because I realized it was more to do the the leds then the insert lining up.

Yeah I can see how that can be a minor annoyance.

Maybe Spooky can add another LED there. They could possibly replace the single lamp LED board there with a board containing two LEDs sharing the same lamp data. Or they could add another single insert LED board into the serial chain, but they'd have to redo the addressing of all the boards downstream in the chain (and would make fixing the games already out in the wild a serious PITA for a very minor problem)

Maybe a modder could make a replacement lamp board for those inserts for those that care.

Much easier to deal with than the artwork

#2865 2 years ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

I was thinking how AMAZING would it be if this was the attract mode background or when you press the start button.i truly believe it would totally immerse you into the Halloween universe.
And instead of the actors names you could put the people that worked on the game in the same font. Man I truly would be blown away with this type of theme integration.

It'd be ok for doing the credits during attract mode, but starting every game like that? People would skip it every time after watching it once and operators would be annoyed at how it wastes a minute when they're primarily concerned about player turnover to maximize coin drop.

I'm not trying to sound overly harsh. It's a nice attention to detail. But there's plenty of other areas that need work first.

#2950 2 years ago

Maybe I need to rewatch Halloween as it’s been a few years, but most of the scenes I can remember are very long and drawn out. It’s a masterclass of filmmaking in slowly building up tension. There’s not a lot of action that fits the needs of a pinball machine, so I get why they took the approach of original animations with a sprinkling of movie clips where stuff actually happens. There being a total of two good minutes worth of short clips sounds about right.

The LCD screen is simultaneously the best and worst thing to happen to pinball machines.

I watched the stream with the animator and didn’t find it cringe like others. Maybe a bit dismissive of some criticism in a way that reflects poorly, but it was interesting to hear him talk about needing a game in possession to really understand what scenes worked and didn’t, how some are too long or repetitive, etc.

Someone brought up an excellent point about the disparity in art styles between some of them, which is constructive criticism in my opinion. I also think it’s constructive when people show what short movie clips they want to see running during modes or at the beginning/end. It’s definitely a challenge for the programmer and video editor to figure out ways to properly loop them and advance them during modes, especially since modes don’t seem to time out.

Maybe some of the original animations can have more variations as you progress through modes to keep them a little fresher. The LCD is mostly for onlookers and they’re not visually interesting for long. For example, where Michael is in the back of the car waiving a knife: maybe he doesn’t show up in the backseat until you hit a mode shot, then another he starts to waive the knife around, then the girl notices and reacts, and speed up the slashing motions as shot progress is made.

#3044 2 years ago

What if there was an op setting to return any ball that immediately drains after being lifted to the in-lane? Especially if the flipper button wasn’t pressed. Maybe limited to one save per ball with an audio call out to help teach the player to do better.

#3150 2 years ago

Watching some streams and seeing some of Travis's criticism, I think he has a very valid point that at times the game becomes too tunnel vision with "this is what you're supposed to be doing right now and nothing else matters/progresses” which is especially apparent when on the upper-upper playfield mode.

Quoted from lpeters82:

…perhaps add a new mode. For example, knock down all the drop targets to light all major shots for 15-20 seconds. When the timer runs out the drop targets reset. The final shot will be lit after the player successfully completes 5-6 of the major shots, which may require completing the drop targets multiple times.

I like this idea and would suggest that the drops reset after the jackpot collect phase and then collecting the super jackpot would be a single shot worth, for example, 1x for hitting the outside drops, 1.5x for hitting the edge and center, and 2x for hitting just the center. Just to add a little extra reward for accuracy. They already have an excellent subtle rule that if you knock down only the center drop you can shoot through to go straight to the upper upper playfield. Those little rules add good depth for players to discover and for tournament players to enjoy.

#3151 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one

Some buttholes are nice and tight and others are goatse

I thought some of Travis’s points were totally valid, and some were more his personal preference.

#3156 2 years ago

I haven’t had a chance to play either. Look forward to seeing one. I’m hopeful I’ll get a chance within another month when more make it out

And just to say, I get this is all very early code with lots of stuff needing fleshing out before polish on animations/sounds/scoring-balance. I still mildly regret not immediately pulling out the CC for Ultraman and figuring out the details later. But I’m sure I’ll get to see them in the wild and in friends collections soon enough anyways.

I remember being kinda down on ACNC when I first saw one, though I did notice the big improvement in build quality and saw the skeleton of a good game.

#3157 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Halloween / Ultraman is not a brutal game. It's more like Lord of the Rings, where the majority of the shots lead to the in lanes. I think that's why my favorite mode is the one where you have to hit the orbits and drop targets. Those are the shots have a bit more risk / reward.

It’s kinda interesting. The shots are generally safe and beginner friendly in that you get lots of safe returns, so I guess in turn they make the code a lot tougher. I wonder how novice players feel about it.

#3159 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

Just an FYI there are some UMs out on Pinside marketplace with no markup.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"779bd7e4483f8b8039f9d68895b0e4a349a3721f-1633041606-1800"};
//]]>

Not standards though. I wouldn’t pay thousands more for stuff that makes no bearing on gameplay.

#3218 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

After all, Ghostbusters and Munsters code was close to baked when released and was finished within a couple months…

Munsters was basically done when it came out. People just didn't like how shallow the game was and were expecting a lot more than what was shown off. Which is a great reason to watch a reveal streams where Dwight flicks all the switches to show off everything in the game and talk about his design goals for the game being very simplistic.

#3367 2 years ago

I think spending blood for movie clips is kinda neat, but agree it's not enough to make the majority of players ever choose it. Maybe combine it with the awards that give you 1-3m points. Then people who don't care about points get something they'd be interested in, and tournament players may still opt to buy it if they just need a few points to cement their win.

#3382 2 years ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Neat factoids for those interested: including an LCD is actually a *huge* cost driver in modern machines! Most people realize that the physical displays are more expensive than DMD, or the preceding 7-segment displays, but fewer people realize that those HD displays also add cost in that manufacturers then need to hire (an) animator(s), and potentially pay more to license more/different assets! And what even fewer people yet realize is the significant difference in computing power LCDs demand vs DMD! Machines with DMDs can run on the computing power of, effectively, a $5 arduino. As soon as you introduce an LCD screen however, you practically require a proper computer + operating system in order to drive the display. And even though we're talking computers with the computing power of a modern smartphone, they're a significant cost increase. This in turn means pinball games have to be developed, in part, in a very similar way to video games, (possibly actually using game engines), which adds overhead and complexity to the software, and also incurs the cost of (a) full time game developer(s)/programmer(s). Not to mention, all of this can add a *huge* amount of time to your development cycle. So, ultimately, there is a large ripple effect from what might seem like a pretty straightforward step from DMD to LCD.

A thousand times this. The LCD is the best and worst thing to happen to pinball. All this additional money and resources just to watch someone skip the clip with some flipper button presses

CGC has the best solution with their modern looking DMD. Cheap to make content for the screen, has the nostalgic charm of dots but with the higher resolution that your brain thinks of (sorta like when you play a HD remake of an old game and you forget that's not what it originally looked like)

#3435 2 years ago

Also is Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper suddenly chopped liver?

1 week later
#3534 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

The running theory is that drfrightner = jimwe5t

Nah. They type too differently. They're just both loud mouths.

#3655 2 years ago

Horror movies can be one of the best ROI in the movie industry if they hit. Newline Cinema was built on the back of Nightmare on Elm Street Movies. Blumhouse Production has quickly become of the most profitable companies in the industry with their spray and pray approach of giving unknowns small budgets and some of them occasionally blowing up, like Paranormal Activity or The Purge. The Halloween movies are relatively large budget for what they normally do.

5 months later
#4063 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Spooky changed the framework (software programming environment) and hardware with Halloween and Ultraman. They were using skeletongame framework and p3roc with TNA, Alice Cooper and Rick & Morty. Now they use whatever framework Ben Heck and Parker Dillman created and the new pinotaur.

I thought I remember Ben saying the Pinotaur was based on the Open Pinball Project and was Mission Pinball Framework compatible. Is Spooky coding the game in MPF? Just curious

I like MPF. It makes certain things very easy and is pretty flexible with adding custom python code.

And as an aside, I'm guessing the licensing is why you need to directly contact Spooky if you bork your drive. Can't let people just swap the code/drives around willy nilly. Licensors don't like that. (Though Stern didn't seem to care to prevent people from doing this on their Whoa Nellie and Spiderman Home iterations)

#4067 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yeah, you'd get fried coils and house fires of you open up the code completely.

There’s not much stopping most people from directly controlling a machine via USB and MPF these days, including brand new Sterns out of the box.

Hell people already do plenty of dangerous things with silly mods, fat fingers, and general stupidity.

Some of the controllers are pretty good about knowing not to do certain things.

4 weeks later
#4072 1 year ago
Quoted from 67cutlass:

Does anyone know what board this are using and have a good clear picture of one (hopefully without all the wiring)?

It’s a Pinotaur board. All new designed based on OPP. No schematics are out for it yet. There was some mention of selling them to homebrewers later but it sounds like Spooky can barely get enough to put in their own games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Gilbert, AZ
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-halloween-babysitters-welcome?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.