(Topic ID: 296256)

Spooky HALLOWEEN hype thread. Babysitters welcome.

By coasterguy

3 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,686 posts
  • 397 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49F0B235-96CC-4321-9E3C-343A0E833F2B (resized).png
FB8T3OxXsAI5tB3 (resized).jpeg
B6FD399C-F381-4734-B247-2671EB0F608D (resized).jpeg
63075D58-F8C7-4923-9429-9C7C963ED2B3 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
F1066BAD-671C-4AB5-830C-4F55ACA3C222 (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1634321708138 (resized).jpg
20211013_120302 (resized).jpg
F8A03977-BA8E-4B80-9DA7-8F3DD84D9302.jpeg
C0E411B5-E67D-4BAD-AEF5-9B059108C8AC (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.36.05 PM (resized).png
55E9EB38-EDE7-4798-92AB-D1E3D237814B (resized).jpeg
20211010_163212 (resized).jpg
20211010_163034 (resized).jpg
67C00163-10F4-489F-B4E5-B1257053F352 (resized).jpeg
AEB29C67-E424-4F12-95D7-322AE3238142 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roostking.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#338 3 months ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Morgan said it would all be sorted....zero worries..

Would i hit up my PinballSTAR to get a butter cab?

#399 3 months ago
Quoted from crassmage:

Any idea of the height of the machine (hwnce) with the topper? (Ballpark)

I would plan at least a foot for the topper. Apparently the knife stroke is so long, there is supposed to be slit in the top of the backbox for the knife to fit through.

#407 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hope the topper is easy to take off

Me too, it needs some cleaning up for sure. No complaints though!!

#429 3 months ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Man, did everyone order a CE? It doesn't seem like too many people ordered a BSE or SE. I keep thinking about upgrading from BSE to CE, but then I'd have to remove the topper before I could even set it up because of my low ceilings and the game doesn't even say 'Halloween' anywhere but the topper on the CE.

I just figured for $1000 more, there was a bunch of cool stuff offered on the CE.

#430 3 months ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Man, did everyone order a CE? It doesn't seem like too many people ordered a BSE or SE. I keep thinking about upgrading from BSE to CE, but then I'd have to remove the topper before I could even set it up because of my low ceilings and the game doesn't even say 'Halloween' anywhere but the topper on the CE.

Thats a good point, I hadnt even noticed that. Not bothered by it, but seems it should be somewhere also.

#449 3 months ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Well this poor bastard chose an SE knowing that it would be a late run because a) I need room for Godzilla and b) id rather the quirks be worked out and play the game with more complete code, and Oh yea c) I’m paying 2 grand less for the exact same game
Who you should really feel bad for are the CE buyers who will wait 12+ Months once they realize that over 1000 CEs were sold across both games...

I will probably be close to last, I dont care. Like you, let them work out some bugs. Still getting it before you

#502 3 months ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I'm getting a CE with butter decals. I am 1000% percent excited about this game, and Spooky should be very proud and thrilled with what they've done.
I think the game looks amazing. It's a fresh layout, jammed packed, a million shots, 3 upper playfields, full Carpenter soundtrack, movie assets, custom callouts from a major character, amazing artwork, etc...
My only (very slight) disappointment I have after looking at the photos and listening to the podcast, is that you can't travel up from the sanitarium to the house level. In my head after seeing the pics I figured you could work your way up the levels...that seemed like it would be really cool.
In the grand scheme of things, I probably won't care when I'm playing the game...there is so much packed in there.

Oh shoot, I figured you could as well. Oh well, its a nice over package for sure and patiently waiting!

#506 3 months ago
Quoted from BWT67:

[quoted image]

Offline games? Community pin?

#528 3 months ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

That’s quick customer service. So your in Gilbert? Hope you survived the high winds we had. Well I was not happy with the theme at all. I wanted Scooby Doo and it didn’t happen. I am not a slasher movie fan at all.
My wife and I were very worried no gameplay videos. So we passed on buying launch day. I asked my wife yesterday if she wanted Halloween because she did really love the reveal video (Halloween is one of her favorite holiday’s. She said she wants it. So had to decide which version.
Then I sent her pics of CE and BSE. We talked later and we decided to go CE. This will be my first spooky pin. I just hope it turns out good. So what time frame do you guys think it will be till I get the game?
I am nervous but excited also.
[quoted image]

Im in east Mesa and have a CE on order. Bought way late, so it should be interesting how they trickle out this way.

Halloween isnt a dream theme, but the improvement pin over pin has been impressive and I think this will be a next level pin. Art, service gameplay and responsiveness, as well as the balls to make a true Slasher pin helped. I think it's going to have some issues to work out, but also, epic.

EDIT. Listened to podcast, and the rules sound faf!! I cannot wait!!

#530 3 months ago
Quoted from CptAwesomest:

Im in N Phx and also got a CE on order, order 11696, so if one of you locals get one shipped first, I may have to request checking it out as its going to be a while

I betting you are ahead of me, based on my Fang club membership. Going to be a hell of a journey. I have METLE if you wanna play ha.

#549 3 months ago

Soooo. Any unboxing vids? J/K but??

Ive been watching Halloween everynight for the past week!

#570 3 months ago
Quoted from hammerhorror:

I purchased a Halloween CE direct from Spooky and my order shows up under my purchase history and my credit card has been charged. Only thing that's bothering me is I never received a confirmation email for my Halloween purchase or my Fang Club order.

Yea you should get both. I bought through a distro, but my Fang membership went through right after the purchase.

#645 3 months ago
Quoted from Mdanielb:I e-mailed Joe right after getting my PayPal confirm just to get a personal assurance from him. He immediately replied with an "You are all set. Be in touch as soon as I'm able." I, like you all, haven't gotten anything since then. If you are getting anxious, just shoot him an e-mail. He will reassure you. Joe has been great - 3rd purchase from him.

He is asking we DONT do this. In the oyher thread he is asking for patience. If you got a pp confirmation, you are good.

#646 3 months ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

I anticipate online ordering hiccups with any high demand item these days. Fond memories of obtaining a PS5 months back. Luck of the draw.

Remember, those who went through Spooky will, in some cases, get their game before you, even if you ordered through a distro before them, given the stated production plans. 50 to Family/Spooky direct, 50 to distro, 50 to Spooky direct etc etc.

#709 3 months ago

No # for me yet. Good to see these going out!! Good times ahead..

#712 3 months ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ditto, but ordered direct and roughly 30 minutes after site opened during the site crash lol. Maybe Spooky sends their #'s by the weekend, given distros are getting theirs.
0 worries here...I get it when I get it....

I ordered through a distro late in the process. Not worried either and going to be a hell of a pin!!

#730 3 months ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Has everyone received their game number?

I have not gotten mine from PinballSTAR, but i ordered pretty late on the first day.

#826 3 months ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

HWN CE Order 11821 game # 690
...let the waiting continue to begin!

Spooky FANG club order # 11851, but ordered through PinballSTAR a few minutes before. It will be interesting to see what machine # I end up with compared to your Spooky direct.

#827 3 months ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Got #592... (not happy with my card getting declined when sales opened [not Spooky's fault], then trapped refreshing the site for another hour in a panic). I'm not generally a top tier buyer, but specifically went CE to get an earlier spot, so the way it went is pretty depressing. Guess it will still be earlier than some...

Its too bad you couldnt get an earlier #, to get started on some mods!! Cant wait to see what you come up with. Maybe someone will trade spots.

#840 3 months ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

1231 all the way at the end

Ordered through who?

#893 3 months ago
Quoted from RobT:

For $1k profit no less

say-it-isnt-so (resized).jpg
#919 3 months ago

Im either 912 or 920, as there are 2 "TB"s. Let the patiently impatient wait begin.

#920 3 months ago
Quoted from brerspidur:

so, .. . it looks like right about the 700's something funky starts happening with the Distro vs Spooky 50/50 alternation. Maybe im just hungover and not seeing something, but it looks like the pattern changes.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qmdtDvuk62JFZw37fpdjzsIlL39_C04ODX8jIrNOc/edit?usp=sharing

Link doesnt work

#966 3 months ago

Heard back from PinballSTAR. They had me listed 2x. I am 920, not 912. Not that it mattered, but great customer service already!

#970 3 months ago
Quoted from underlord:

Pinballstar ordered, either #908 or #924. Guessing #908 since I was trying to order minute 1 with Spooky but couldn’t so immediately jumped to Joe at PInballstar.

You might want to check your email, Joe rmailed me after he saw my post about having 2 #'s. ( If it matters to ya)

#976 3 months ago
Quoted from Bobster123:

Does spooky have a list of distributors I want to order a CE from a reputable dealer Who is established and been in business for a while since there will be a wait, Any recommendations
Thx

PinballStar

KingPin Games

Nitro

Not sure if there are others or if any are left, but start there.

#992 3 months ago
Quoted from Txcoastal1:

There should be a "Dead Flip" coming very soon

Plus some pins are going to be at some shows coming up soon. Video should come out of that.

#1035 3 months ago

Possibly Butter cab?

#1050 89 days ago
Quoted from underlord:

341??? I'm 908. My number will be up by the time my numbers up!!

920 here. FOMO got me lol

#1053 88 days ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

I told myself I was gonna buy the next American or Spooky pinball I liked the theme of but damn the FOMO was strong with this one. 861 could not even wait for gameplay.

I wasnt really in the market for a pin, and Stern/JJP just are not on my radar at all, due to perceived lack of qc and after sales service on a $9000 toy. Ive wanted something really adult orientated and Halloween isnt from Stern or JJP and Im supporting a company that cares (American Pinball as well). Im 920, so it will be awhile, Im personally ok with it.

#1064 88 days ago

Like what I see!!

#1093 87 days ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

See that topper? There are two words preceding Halloween... John something or other.

Everyone knows Halloween, as Halloween. Unless you know John Carpenter, all you hear is pinball names blah blah. They already lost interest when you said pinball, they need a quick hook to bring em back!

#1127 87 days ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Quick! Someone teach these noobs how to play! Haha...what a tease! Thoughts on the animations? They must be temporary while licensing gets squared away. Thinking this may be why we havnt seen a full stream yet.

They may be in the middle of stripping assets out, for a family friendly mode. It was probably set on that mode for the show?

#1161 86 days ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

As good as this game looks, I really don't think it will stay long in most collections. Which is good news for others to own this game when they get flipped...and a high percentage will be flipped.
UM seems the better option. HWN is a one-trick pony, and UM seems to offer more variety and fun for the player (and all the family).
I love HWN, but it's not a great match for a modern pinball machine...as you owners will soon discover. The Evil Dead however, a match made in hell!

You seem to really have an axe to grind with HWN. What gives? Have you played it? How can you make such bold statements?

Your kinda losing credibility.

#1226 85 days ago

Out of this whole weekend, 2 conventions, 2 Pinball machines, and we got barely 3 vids. Seriously!!!

#1230 85 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Good things come to those who wait…………………….

Oh I can and can't wait!!!

#1252 84 days ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Alice Coopers Nightmare Castle = ACNC - not NC
Rob Zombie's Spookshow International = RZ - not SI
Elvira's House of Horrors = EHOH - not HOH
John Carpenter's Halloween = JCH - its right there on the backglass and topper
HWN is not even an acronym. Its an abbreviation that isn't necessary because a TLA is right there printed on the game.

Not even close to the same. Come on man!

#1267 84 days ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Touché. For my next dissertation I will argue the CE version should be referred to as TS = The Shape.

I recommend HWN. I'm never going to ask friends if the want to play John Carpenter's Halloween Pinball. HWN just makes sense.

#1283 83 days ago
Screenshot_20210803-163017_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
#1316 82 days ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Again, SLAMT1LT was not talking about the layout of the game. He was talking about the new camera layout Jack Danger was working on at the time of his post. Jack was testing a new camera set up to showcase both games at the same time on his Twitch channel last night.

So he talks shit about the pin, and the camera layout, for recording the pin

Seems like a lot of shit talking!

#1344 81 days ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

Pinball Talk episode 3: Halloween Pinball, i dont like the music, sorry guys...

Yawn.. you haven't seen anymore than anyone else. Why would you think anybody would care about your uneducated opinion?

#1381 80 days ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Absolutely. It’s a great theme but let’s be honest, there is not much to work with. It’s not like Michael Myers has a lot of one liners or dialogue. Actually I don’t think he says a word in Halloween. The eerie music can only take you so far, so what else can you use in this game? I guess stick with other characters dialogue but the main character JLC is not being used and she’s not doing the call outs. PJ Soles is. Ok show us your tits, how’s that gonna work in a pinball game? I’m wishing for the best cause it’s a great theme but I’m hopeful Spooky will pull it off. Stick with the movie scenes and other sounds and it will work. Just my opinion of course.

There is additional music added by Spooky. Maybe techno!

#1383 80 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Anyone have the stream details for this evening? Time? Thanks

I think around 6:00 pm central time

#1391 80 days ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

Does anyone want to move down.im #512 ce and would like to move up if anyone is interested

Sure, you can move up to my 920!

#1412 79 days ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

Same here.i want too know as well.

HDMI output to tv from laptop/pc?

#1415 79 days ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Maybe a dumb question, but can't Jack do YouTube live at the same time as twitch? Would be so much easier for some of us

I'm learning that streaming and where content is shown is a big deal lol. They have contracts and what have you.

Do you have a laptop/pc? You can stream twitch from a browser, then HDMI out to tv.

#1417 79 days ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Holy crap! I never knew my 8 year old laptop had an HDMI out, but it does. (don't ask, I'm cheap)
Problem solved, thank you!

I'm cheap too, that's why I knew hah.

#1478 79 days ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

I am pretty sure SpookyLuke talked about potentially having a ball pre staged there on the right side.

I'm pretty sure they discussed the left side kick out will be staged, after the first ball that goes that way. Not sure of the right side, but it needs it..

#1486 79 days ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

Welcome to pinball talk episode 4: Halloween pinball gameplay video by Dead flip is out, in this episode, I’m gonna concentrate on music/audio package, link to video:

DO NOT CLICK. Don't $feed$ the troll.

#1609 77 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

There he is, the legend, the one and only, the Director of Mr. Wrong folks!
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"ce11f2f371b59ccf487f41644770f999a4f321d5-1628628160-1800"};
//]]>

Not sure who he is, but I'm guessing he isn't into pinball. Nor did he match, 2x..

#1611 77 days ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Nick Castle played Michael Myers (the shape) in Halloween.

Yup, egg on the face sorta. I just looked him up..

Thanks for replying before I could edit or delete

#1613 76 days ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

My .02 on what I've seen so far:
Basically, I think HWN looks incredible. Fresh layout, tons of shots, lots of atmosphere, inlane lifters work great, etc...Obviously, it's early code and when everything gets put in there I think it's going to be a great overall experience.
I'm pumped they have the video assets they need and the full soundtrack. I really liked the original music I heard as well.
I wish the sanitarium playfield had a VUK or ramp up to the house playfield, but the playfield looks fun to shoot, and add nice variety to the gameplay.

That's the one thing I envisioned, climbing level to level, progressing.

CE 920 here.

#1624 76 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Watching the podcast and reading your posts really shows the passion you have for this very, very big theme. I have zero doubt you will hit it out of the park!!!
Thank you for entertaining the good, bad and ugly that comes from these threads.......

At the end, it's all going to be good. Seriously, after ACNC and then R&M does anybody expect Spooky to fail on HWN, the pin that could really put them on the map. Nope!

#1641 76 days ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Really? That would be awesome if you could get there from the Sanitarium level.

I doubt this will happen, it seems like it would take a lot of reengineering to add a ramp or a vuk this late in the design process.

#1664 76 days ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Im with you on this - it has to be the direction they are going in. Movie footage would be so much better with a splash of the scenes.
The difference to me is AIQ IS based on the comic not the movies. HWN is based on the movie not a comic.

My concern now is that the Halloween IP owners and approvers are going to be very strict on what and how the IP can be used. Probably not a concern, but it was mentioned they are very "Official" when it comes to licensing.

#1678 75 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

anyone else plan on painting or covering up the screw in the middle of the hand on the topper?

Going to also somehow blackout the motor cover and whatnot.

#1682 75 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That topper may get a whole molded backbox around it as well...no telling.
Seeing Jack's reaction when it engaged was priceless....definitely caught him off guard...knives, knives....and the clown on side.....I might have to turn the lights up when I play this thing, lol

Did I miss it in the stream? I didn't see it in action.

#1686 75 days ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Yes! Stuff like this always bugs me. On something like a topper that is all visual, more effort should be placed in making it an art piece and not a construction set. There is no reason screws should be visible on the front face.

Rember, this is a prototype, would not put to much stock in these photos.

#1689 75 days ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I dont think the topper we have seen is only a prototype.

I do.I can't imagine wires will just be hanging off the back when delivered.

#1771 73 days ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:Reading all this made me chuckle a bit. People threw 9k down immediately for a CE machine without a single concrete video of any play what so ever ( mind you I'm one of them lol ) and yet the conversation rambles on about a $250.00 piece of glass.
Should it have been offered, yeah maybe so it would have been nice. However we did get a topper, upgraded armor package, shaker, speaker RGB lighting, speaker grills, shooter handle and maybe another small thing or two as where we don't get half of that with a Stern LE release.
I really don't mind paying 250 for a sheet of HD, VooDoo, Invisiglass or whichever as I know paying for some of those upgrades would have been more then twice or three times the price of the glass alone.

Total package. I was not even in the market for a pin, but HWN/UM has a bunch of killer upgrades that I feel are a steal at 9 grand.

#1772 73 days ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Why can’t other editions of the games, BSE and standards, be built at the same time? If you have an order and your ## in line just build it.

Cause, green privilege? It's a small line compatively, so its a selling point for Spooky. Pay more, get it all, and get it first. I'm 920 so that last part was last on my list. Also, simplefies the build. Knock out 1 model at a time with no change to mix up parts.

#1800 72 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

The powdercoat colors available don't appeal to me and the topper with the knife slot could have something DIY'd with all of the licensed stuff out there for sale. The mod sellers will also have plenty of creative add-ons so the art blades and whatnot will be interesting as well. Sure, a base standard won't be as desirable, but these machines rarely stay totally stock. I don't see $2k worth of value when I would rather hand pick my machine's final look.

I might go with this powder coat

pcgo97820-1 (resized).jpg
#1803 72 days ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I heard the powder coating looks much better in person and probably is close to your sample there.

That's cool, it looks very gold In the photos, but definitly a wait as see. Can't wait!

#1820 70 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

These people did such a great job on the looks of this pin it’s unreal .Just came to me , make a custom tombstone with the owners name on it to mount on the plastic next to MMs sisters .Now thats personalizing a pin !

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-and-ultraman-modders-come-on-in

#1881 67 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

I can finally picture the knife going through the translite from the pics above. The dark part of the translite must be open and that giant knife just slips on in. It’s going to look epic

Oh man, if you are right HELL YES! Would make sense since it appears the knife is full size. Why else would it be!

#1885 67 days ago

Spooky please put a cover over the topper motor. I wish the backglass still had Halloween written on it though. My only two gripes. I understand why you didn’t want it written on the backglass plus the topper, but to me looks weird. Not used to that.

Maybe Spooky will let you swap it out?

#1886 67 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

I can finally picture the knife going through the translite from the pics above. The dark part of the translite must be open and that giant knife just slips on in. It’s going to look epic

Hmm, going back through pics, seems like the slit is fairly far back. Who has another Spooky pin here that can measure how far back in the head the backglass sits?

Screenshot_20210819-214828_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1895 67 days ago
Quoted from tp:

He's like the comedian that keeps telling the same joke cuz he thinks its funny.

It is funny, unless you are a dr customer, then its yet another pain point! But they are a tough bunch, cause there are many many jokes/painpoints to be had when dealing with RM/jpop.

#1896 67 days ago
Quoted from underlord:

My complaint is this is too violent. Can’t Michael just talk it out with Loomis? Does it have to be about Halloween? What about 4th of July? Knives are dangerous. Can’t we use, I don’t know, something more kid friendly like a pillow fight? Other than these things I’ve got 25 more issues with this pin.
I keed, I keed!!

Theres one guy putting bobblehead Michaels and cartoony Halloween stuff all over his! Should look swell!

#1917 66 days ago

Can you see the knife going into the cab and behind the glass?

Have more assets been added? Music, film clips. Come on people, you know what we need!!

#1929 66 days ago

Either Spooky is requesting they not video the Topper in action, or it's not coded, or we need some better dang videographers!

#1935 66 days ago
Quoted from jellikit:

The Spooky crew at the show doesn't have a problem with anyone taking pictures or videos, as many did it including myself. And I saw it moving a fair amount on games I was watching. The machines look great, the cabinet art and playfields must be seen in person to be appreciated.

Looks like I'm going for butter, I like!!!

#1960 66 days ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Great pic. It really does show a color difference between them.

I was unsure how much difference there would be, but it's obvious, and since I will only have 2 pins, the art will be very visible. Good job Spooky, you got another grand out of me!

#1961 66 days ago

Are the cabinets there all butter?

You can't tell the difference? Looks like one of each for HWN and UM

#2160 59 days ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Nice! Remember to post only vague and ambiguous thoughts with few pictures and little information.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"de5ace52c7267471ef823bc2c16ab8a2068c405a-1630104665-1800"};
//]]>

Definitely with no topper vid!

#2166 59 days ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Nice! Remember to post only vague and ambiguous thoughts with few pictures and little information.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"de5ace52c7267471ef823bc2c16ab8a2068c405a-1630104665-1800"};
//]]>

Definitely with no topper vid!

abb7da5d74a4f82a9f342f6cbbd5914c (resized).jpg
#2262 57 days ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Great vids Doug thank you! One thing...is there a reason why your playfield pumpkin keeps looking towards the shooter lane? It's driving me nuts!!

Awesome vids, thanks!

I was wondering the same..

#2317 55 days ago
Quoted from blacklightprod:

If you get a Halloween would you consider removing all the armor and re-powder it? Gold huh? So if you did re-powder coat the game what color would you go with? I'm thinking black with orange speckles or orange with black speckles ... you know kind of like HALLOWEEN! LOL
So basically the question is do you like the powder coating as is, or would you consider changing the color of the powder coat and what color.
I'd be interested to hear thoughts.

I have this in mind, but everyone that has seen it in person says the gold looks great.

pcgo97820-1 (resized).jpg
#2413 49 days ago

Awesome gameplay vid, but not seeing much Halloween video assets being used .

#2414 49 days ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Here we go. We were handed our a$$ today playing Halloween…and yes, I try to talk and explain…respect for Jack Danger being able to play well and talk…not me…lol
Here are just a couple shots that are possible to the Sanatarium playfield.

Any chance you can record a static location vid which includes the video assets (Not following the ball around?) Really interested in how the theme is integrated with the movie. Im not sure I've seen any actual video assets.

1 week later
#2517 40 days ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:Pretty disappointed with the one second flash video clips so far. I'm hoping code is very early but pretty disappointed so far.

While I wont say dissapointed, I will say concerned. I think Spooky said they had 19 movie assets, hopefully they are not all the same length. The licensor said they dont want a "movie" playing, soooo, 19 seconds of the entire film?

#2518 40 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So can somebody explain to me the "3 upper playfields (2 playable)" thing? Shouldn't a playfield be 'playable' to be *a playfield* ? Does the ball even roll on it? I'm just not understanding what they mean by that.
Also, what's the "invisi-magnet lock" (I saw it on the trailer but don't have it at hand) ? that sounds very cool

You havent seen any of the other vids out there?

#2572 38 days ago
Quoted from frankmac:[quoted image]

I didn't get this, at first...

#2577 38 days ago
Quoted from frankmac:

No worries. It is “Deep like the mind of Minolta..."

That, and the insert was shown with a wrong sized font, which then made your post make sense!

#2608 37 days ago
Quoted from Porkfritter:

Couldn't have said it better.. .. it isn't like this is an action movie where you can just loop kung fu fighting video footage over and over. . . I can absolutely see these animations being used as transitions to the videos for successes and failures during modes and ball drains. . .
We have been playing #14 and there are obvious parts of the game where there are callouts that are perfectly aligned that could show a video clip transition almost as if it is programed to already be there/inserted. . . excited for the future!

I just envision each game is aligned with the movie and progresses along until the climax, Micheal falling off the balcony, disappears, and restart..Cannot wait to watch this pin progress.

#2724 36 days ago

It is concerning if Spooky/the big man doesn't want video, or much of it..He sets the "tone" of the game, regardless of how early the code is. Always time to change the tone, if that truly is the case

#2736 36 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

This is my first clear view of the mis-sized insert. People losing their minds about that need to relax. It would be nice if it were sized properly, but that really isn't a huge deal-breaker. It's like "Negative Reinforcment" on early Ghostbusters pins.

I think it fair to ask, how does something so obvious, get missed? I mean, surely this was all in CAD or whatever program that would be used to render for over a year? If this detail is missed, combined with the animators comments in his vid, will Spooky be taking this pin as seriously as we all hope, or since they sell out so fast, is it just oops and next??

#2741 36 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

My 10c …
Quality of stream has sooooo much to do with public perception these days.
I was watching Godzilla the other day … the first 8 balls were instant drainers — everyone is like “ooohhh no it’s a drain fest!!”
Then Keith Elwin - arguably the best competitive pinball player ever in history - steps up to his ball 3 and shows everyone how awesome he is at pinball. Every game looks awesome when Keith is playing it!
Compare that to the other nights stream from Denver - no diss to NM, but it was so dark I couldn’t see any of the playfield, and the playing was not great, so I turned it off after 2 minutes.
You’re comparing a full on Stern production number, with the best pinball player ever, full lighting, top end cameras, done by a professional twitch streamer - to some dude who’s probably “had a couple” in his house in Denver.
You’d be crazy to base an opinion off that.
I’m sure Tommy’s stream posted above will be a lot better … I’ll check it out later.
rd

To me, its not so much the game play from him, but his comments regarding, what could be manangements directive to minimize video assets and push the animation side. That's a losing proposition. I mean, come on, the video guy himself said you want assets, play the movie in the background. That's not really what we are shooting for here. It's based in the movie and should have tons of movie assets incorporated. But again, if the powers they be really didn't want the movie in the pin, that's am issue.

#2897 33 days ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

They just posted on FB that they got 19 original movie clips to add in Oct approved

We already knew that, but what length and when they are implemented is the question of the day. 19, 1 second clips is not the same as 19, 4 second clips and how often they are used.

#2902 33 days ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Still early code…even with the update. That said, I don’t have 2 minutes to take my eyes off the playfield, even if 6 sec at a time. This is a fast playing pin.

I really think this pin can be a masterpiece of a pin with play and integration, but the A/V guy himself didn't seem to feel that way, and with the comments he made about Spooky/the big guy not really wanting a bunch of videos in the game, is concerning. I'm just trying to ensure Spooky knows what we want, cause like Joe Dirt says, it's not what you like, it's what the consumer likes! Or something to that effect lol. We want video and we want a lot if it. Spooky will deliver, I have no doubts!!

#2908 33 days ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

You’re on point!!!
This is what the game needs. Animations detract from the game big time …

I don't really agree with that. Nobody wants do just see the same movie clips over and over, animations should fill in the gaps. But they need to be high quality animations to improve the experience. I have never seen a ACNC, but from what I can tell, those animations were top notch. Why not bring him or her back on board, or why were they not there in the first place? The current guy has me worried, and it's not just his ability, but attitude that is most concerning.

I'm 920 though, so no doubt it's going to be fleshed out by then!

#2910 33 days ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

Not that anyone cares what I think but everyone's worried far too much about what the final product is going to be. Video cutscenes, animations, it doesn't really matter, I truly believe that everyone at spooky is truly committed to making this a masterpiece. It's one thing to have input and suggestions, but this thread has gotten somewhat ridiculous. Either you're along for the ride, or you're not, Quit bitchin!

If you watched the animation creators vid and heard what he said, you might be concerned. He kinda said "the boss" didn't want a bunch of videos assets in the pin. That sets direction, regardless of code maturity. Hell, he said play the movie in the background if you want Halloween. Not really what we are expecting.

#2912 33 days ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

This is a cult classic slasher movie, it’s all about the movie clips. The movie is the pin, the pin is the movie.
We can respectfully disagree.

So you want the movie to basically be looped, with no animations in between?

Hmmm. Luckily, that's not what's going to happen.

#2916 33 days ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

I did watch, both times when he was streaming live on twitch. Yeah it looked rough, but he made it look that way, the video quality, his playing ability, and the way he was in general was quite cringe. That being said, I've watched other people videos since and am not the slightest bit concerned with what it is currently or spooky's end vision will mature into. IMO everyone needs to chill with the nitpicking until you have one in your game room.

Easier to add suggestions now, before you can't. If everyone waited for anything, or until you owned it, nothing would get better. It's not nitpicking, it's letting the maker know what the market wants.

#2918 33 days ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

then how about ill give you my number way up in the 900s and you can give me your most likely much lower number and ill be happy with the game "as is" while you wait for improvements
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"664e4f05dfd90d94e678ab6a7991781aa5e43914-1632373332-1800"};
//]]>

I think you are 912, I'm 920 lol You are welcome in advance for my nitpicking!

#2922 33 days ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

Hmmm.
No, minimal animations that are much better and extended clips that rock, like RnM, which set the bar much higher than this. That’s it.
BTW, I love Spooky and want this game to kill it..

Halloween doesn't have near the assets of R&M. There has got to be filler.

R&M did set a high bar for sure!!

#2923 33 days ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

damn... no, I'm #933, thought you were way farther up. Regardless, the video and animation stuff can be changed. the only real gripe would be the insert, but if that can't be fixed, it is what it is. The cabinet is gorgeous, the playfield looks great, and so far people say the game is fun. Just relax and enjoy the ride

I'm actually less concerned about the insert. Unless you are staring at the playfield and completely over the top OCD, it is what it is. Would you rather they put the $$$ into fixing that, or delivering an overall better experience via a/v, rules and gameplay? Yea, that is a major miss and oversight though..

#2976 32 days ago
Quoted from kciaccio:I'm not a fan of old Axle.
Facts.

Which vehicle? Some really nice old axles still in use in many muscle cars..

#2996 32 days ago

At least spell his name right. It's Axl, people.

#3021 30 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Have they said if the rules are going to differ between the games? Or will it be the same ruleset with different skins?

I think they said very similar.

#3054 29 days ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I'm still hyped as hell! Game already looks incredible to me - from the very first trailer till now, it hasn't disappointed. Code doesn't concern me one bit - even looks pretty decent to me as it is now, but we all know it's early and will be continuously polished over the coming months. As massive fan of the movie I think they've done a brilliant job so far - this will be my first Spooky pin, but I'm loving the fresh layout, the art, the shots, everything - keep it up guys!
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"4df7cf2d451d0ae1755b85e362b86fce244c9ba4-1632710773-1800"};
//]]>

I'm fully on board!! Let's do this Spooky!!

#3115 26 days ago

Any Halloween or UM in the Phoenix area yet, available to play?

#3180 25 days ago
Quoted from brerspidur:

SpookyLuke not trying to be a pest. But you were at 70 on 9/18 and then assuming (low) 5 a day. Should be at
115 today between Halloween and ultraman. Are these evenly split? Has production slowed under 5 a day? I ask bc I am #52 and still have not heard anything yet for butter option, but based on these numbers my machine should already be built. I apologize if I am missing something.

Not trying to be a pest, but....

Lol.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

I haven’t had a chance to play either. Look forward to seeing one. I’m hopeful I’ll get a chance within another month when more make it out
And just to say, I get this is all very early code with lots of stuff needing fleshing out before polish on animations/sounds/scoring-balance. I still mildly regret not immediately pulling out the CC for Ultraman and figuring out the details later. But I’m sure I’ll get to see them in the wild and in friends collections soon enough anyways.
I remember being kinda down on ACNC when I first saw one, though I did notice the big improvement in build quality and saw the skeleton of a good game.

Has critical comments and "what they should do"

Never played the game. Ok!!

At least you mention the code is early lol.

#3359 22 days ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:I wouldn’t trip on it. I think those who complain on art, code & price hide behind the guise of being constructive but really it’s because they can’t afford it and even if they do actually buy the game, the 10 racks represents too high of a percentage of their net worth so they stay hyper focused on it.
Those who can blow their nose with 10 g’s just open the box, enjoy the game for what it is and send it down the road for whatever when they’re over it…next

Yea, because rich people don't care about the quality of the product they purchase.

#3388 21 days ago
Quoted from tp:

All good. I did jump in late on your discussion. . Often miss things. Just want lots of movie clips and animations. Just wanna be living in this pin while playing it. Wanna feel like I need to look over my shoulder. I want the full experience with nothing left to "good enough" as I want the best. Pin is based on a horror movie story line. Gameplay should make me feel like I'm part of the story line at every flip, the urge to survive should be strong.
I rarely play on location or against someone else. Getting a good score is my means of opening up the game to see the things it has to offer. The actual score is trivial to me as the wife and I are the only people in our game room. I'll admit though... seeing my wife as grand champion is priceless, and brings me great joy.
I respect your opinion, and it is not opposite, it just differs here and there.

Only part of the score I care about when playing on location, is the match portion hah.

#3391 21 days ago
Quoted from Rapzilch:

Just updated the code and my Pingulp
Life is good
[quoted image]

Thats bad ass, and honestly, this seems to be the best representation of the of the powdercoat to date. Probably wont be changing mine. I previously thought it was too gold, but thats really nice.

#3402 21 days ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

So from how the email reads... there is no fix (the insert) for machines in the wild at this point and none coming on the line in the next month will have a fix available either.
I was quoted "a month or so" delay to getting our machine on the production line for this fix.
Kind of sucks there isn't a playfield swap option available - anyone with this low of a number knows the value in having this early. This is especially true for those that make mods - will probably end up skipping out if someone gets to market first. Also, I'm like a kid, I want it sooner than later, especially for Halloween.
The momentum (wrt hype and anticipation) leading up to July and through now seems to have diminished. I feel like I should be more excited to drop $10g on a game.

You expect Spooky to swap out 100 playfields, for that? Okay...

#3457 20 days ago

Seriously, I'm already leaning yes to Butter, but if it looks as good on Halloween, umm hell yes.

#3459 20 days ago
Quoted from dnapac:

My biggest regret is I didn’t go butter with R&M. My ACNC and Halloween are both butter. So worth it! Unnecessary, and expensive, but it looks and feels incredible.

Could you take some pics of your Halloween? Love your vids btw! Bummed Ive never seen, much less played an ACNC....

#3494 18 days ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Depending on what you classify as a mech. It has the subway system with the triple Michael pop ups, the grave ball lock, in lane ball lifters, 2 full upper playfields, and a 3rd upper with a magnetic ball lock.

Serious question are vuks considered mechs? If so, then yes, the lifts should be as well. If they are not, then no.

#3499 18 days ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

When “Mechs” are referenced it is typically related to unique game mechanisms…in the pinball vernacular anyway.

Pretty much what I figured. It has to somehow interact with the ball, not just move it around.

2 weeks later
#3686 1 hour ago

Halloween, the pin, IS NOT HYPE!!! I had a chance to play #10 on location last night, and I believe they have a home run on their hands. I am an average player that doesnt have a lot of pinball history behind me, so I cant say "This shot shoots like so and so" or it "Feels like" but I walked away very happy with my FOMO purchase. Not sure what software code was installed, but knowing this arcade, Electric Bat, it was up to date.

Art. We all know its amazing. Cab was non-butter and the decals looked great. Multiba ll did stand out now that I know what to look for. Not a big deal and kinda wish my 920 had the defective pf. Small details in the upper pf's and the "pathway sticker" that is on the 180 degree turnaround heading to the bushes really bring the art to life

Powder coating. Kinda hard to tell in the dark light, but it does not look overly goldish.

Sounds/callouts. Tons of call-outs, intense music helping build tension. Kinda hard to hear in the arcade, but in a home setting its going to really shine.

Animations/Video. Looks like animations are being sped up and look better than maybe I remember from the streams. I didnt have a chance to see much of the video, as I was the only one at the arcade at the time. Video sequences did end abruptly and almost too quick.

Shots. Spooky has been dinged previously for some tight shots. I am happy to report that I did not experience one tight shot and all felt very smooth.

Inlane lifters. Takes a while to get used to and doesn't overly slow down the game, but if they can manage to stage a ball, that would help.

LED's/lighting. No overly bright, but I am glad they can be turned down a bit. Some defusers might not be a bad idea for appearance sake, but Ill let others experiment. Overall playfield lighting colors were spot on and the orange is perfect.

Build Quality. They have a R&M next to HWN. Similar weight and overall solid feel to the pin.

The rest of the review could be machine specific

Clear drop targets. This pin had the same issues as others who are reporting they are not falling consistently or when they do, not level with the PF, and this was the case for me as well. Particularly the middle target was a bear to get down.

Airballs. The 3rd standup target from the left was throwing the balls all over the place and one ball got stuck near the "balcony". A ball search cleared it.

SDTM shots. Maybe it was the setup, but there are a couple of SDTM shots that happen if the shot isnt made. I had a couple in one game and it was somewhat frustrating.

"Dead Zone" somewhere under the upper pfs. I did a soft plunge and ball ball went up the shooter lane and floated somewhere under the upper pf's and just sat there. I am not sure where it was at, ball search did not trigger and probably would not have mattered, other than maybe causing a little vibration and knocking it loose. Eventually mine came out. Another player was not so lucky and tilted his game to get it out. There is somewhere under there where the ball must just kinda sit.

Anyway, I only put 5 games on and have no regrets getting FOMO on this pin. Overall I know its only going to get better from here and am extremely happy with this purchase. I am only going to play it sparingly until mine shows up(920) but its a winner!!!

Great job Spooky!!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roostking.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside