(Topic ID: 296256)

Spooky HALLOWEEN hype thread. Babysitters welcome.

By coasterguy

3 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,682 posts
  • 397 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 137 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

49F0B235-96CC-4321-9E3C-343A0E833F2B (resized).png
FB8T3OxXsAI5tB3 (resized).jpeg
B6FD399C-F381-4734-B247-2671EB0F608D (resized).jpeg
63075D58-F8C7-4923-9429-9C7C963ED2B3 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
F1066BAD-671C-4AB5-830C-4F55ACA3C222 (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1634321708138 (resized).jpg
20211013_120302 (resized).jpg
F8A03977-BA8E-4B80-9DA7-8F3DD84D9302.jpeg
C0E411B5-E67D-4BAD-AEF5-9B059108C8AC (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.36.05 PM (resized).png
55E9EB38-EDE7-4798-92AB-D1E3D237814B (resized).jpeg
20211010_163212 (resized).jpg
20211010_163034 (resized).jpg
67C00163-10F4-489F-B4E5-B1257053F352 (resized).jpeg
AEB29C67-E424-4F12-95D7-322AE3238142 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mudflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 3 months ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I appreciate the suggestions.
Off the shelf toys generally look tacky and out of place, and I'm not the sort of modder to take them and add a light, etc. (anyone can do those DIY). I did add the RZ figure to my personal game after some modification to its positioning, but I'd never sell that sort of thing.
My mods are original, and designed to fit the geometry of the game, and take many things into account to look as factory as possible.
I also try to avoid IP concerns.
Hoping there will be a way to add something more violent to the game, but I won't be able to envision it all without the game in hand.

It’s always great when you have a game I’m getting or already own, because your mods are incredible. Looking forward to what you come up with!

#66 3 months ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Ha, we were basically typing the same thing.
Cheers

Ha, great minds…

#74 3 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I think the first thing you should do is change that pumpkin at the scoop to the one on the movie poster. Doesnt look like Spooky used it anywhere.
[quoted image]

That’s from Halloween II

#76 3 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Oh, I thought it was 1. Gotcha
I'm more of a Freddy guy, I will learn.

For me, the most iconic poster is from Halloween III. There’s something about the weird witch on the logo and the elongated kids trick or treating. But I’m a fan of that movie, so I’m biased.
001D75F1-1EEC-4B5D-BF44-DA3C1E37FB00 (resized).jpeg

#473 3 months ago

I just listened to the SAPS podcast w/Charlie and Bug. Great stuff, and makes me happy to support Spooky even more.

One of the questions was on the amount of assets they were allowed to use, and the response was 'almost everything.' It made me wonder what they wouldn't be able to use, and my first thought was video assets from Jaime Lee Curtis. Total speculation on my part, but I wonder if video assets (not art as seen on the playfield and cabinet) would be cost prohibitive or a non-starter.

I think not having Jaime Lee Curtis on the screen would be a bummer, but ultimately not a big deal. Alien didn't have Ripley and it still worked. Jaime Lee Curtis is tied to the franchise, but the game is all about Michael Myers, as it should be.

Anyway, looking forward to the game reveal.

#480 3 months ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I know nothing about Spooky pins. Do they use a DMD or LCD video?

They’ve used everything. DMD, LCD and LED numeric. Halloween and Ultraman are LCD.

#487 3 months ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Funny the wife and I just watched the Blu Ray Halloween 1978 35th Anniversary Edition, like you said I really hope they had full permissions across the board to use what they like. Just think of the kill scene segments that would be awesome.

Agreed, and hopefully they got as much as they could.

Another interesting tidbit from the podcast was on the use of film clips and when they’d appear. Charlie wanted to use them more often, the IP holder less often. Charlie said less often was ultimately the right way to go because you don’t want to watch the Halloween movie over and over. I think we’ll be able to see a few key scenes at the right moments.

Bug mentioned that the last thing PJ Soles said after her recording was “Will everyone get to see my boobs?”

I guess time will tell.

#558 3 months ago

11344 @9:06

#614 3 months ago

It used to be cool to bash Halloween III, now it’s cool to love.

I was listening to the vinyl the other day (classic soundtrack BTW), and caught something I hadn’t heard before.

When Tommy Lee Wallace is making one of the announcements, he says, “Kids, make sure to grab one of the Halloween… three masks.” It was kind of a fun nod and maybe a hint that the numerical denominator was supposed to be about the masks, not about the Halloween franchise.

Or not. Who knows.

image (resized).jpg
#616 3 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Those "spinature" figures are sweet.

Yeah, they’re really cool. Surely there’s a spot in the game for “Shot in Both Eyes” Michael from II.

image (resized).jpg
1 week later
1 week later
#1120 86 days ago

Sean has been around for years, and I’m hyped he was able to play. He hosts ‘Horror’s Hallowed Grounds,’ a walkthrough of filming locations for classic horror movies.

Here he is with PJ Soles.

#1128 86 days ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

Movie Trivia....in case you didn't know, Tommy did wear the mask in Halloween for a couple different shoots. Most famously the closet scene. I believe three different men played the shape. Nick Castle, Tommy Wallace, and Tony Moran.

Debra Hill also wore the mask in the movie. She’s standing in front of the house toward the end of the movie.

#1141 86 days ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I think 5 people in all played Michael in the 78 Halloween

*Nerd hat on*

They made three masks for the movie. I’m pretty sure it was just the four people that wore the mask on camera, but who knows? There may be some Hollywood rumor or legend.

Back to the game, I really liked what I saw. I’m hopeful we’ll hear more original music as the OG soundtrack may get old after a while. I’d also like to see more of the LCD animations. They seemed pretty sparse, but it’s early.

Edit: NightMutilator stated in the other thread that there were a ton more animations on the way. Good news.

#1174 85 days ago
Quoted from spandol:

I agree with you. I’m hoping the sexual stuff is left out. There’s enough of that out there, so I’d rather just have the horror part in the machine,
especially with my kids in the house. Just my opinion though. If it has it, I hope I can turn it off.

Hmmm. Both Halloween I & III had sex scenes with nudity. RZ had nudity. R&M had a ton of swearing. These are intended to be adult themed games.

Surprisingly, Halloween as a film had very little blood or gore. It was all atmosphere, and I’m sure that will translate to the game. I’d be surprised, though, if they shied away from the topless scene with PJ Soles. It’s part of one of the most iconic scenes in the movie.

#1222 84 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Here’s another short video from the convention in case anyone missed it.

D75A04FC-106F-4D34-8C7B-8482CFC851A1 (resized).jpeg
#1405 79 days ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

Is it time yet?
[quoted image]

I’ll be waiting by the TV set with my mask. Don’t forget the big giveaway at 9.

CEF4812D-F492-4CBE-A33B-32983BD4F933 (resized).jpeg
#1446 79 days ago

Yeah, looks great so far. Certainly we’ll get more assets, callouts, and music. At this early stage, it’s bare, but the same could have been said for BM66, TWD, Met, etc.

Nice job Team Spooky!

#1574 77 days ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

There's an awful lot of Halloween spots up for sale in the marketplace today.

I saw that, and I think that’s a good thing. I’m glad there’s enough games out there that everyone who wants one can get one. Plus, if anyone purchased a slot just to flip, screw ‘em.

I enjoyed the stream and I’m looking forward to what’s next, but I understand if some were underwhelmed, especially if this type of genre isn’t up their alley. The flow was unique (maybe too unique for some), the animations were early and the music was repetitive. No harm in anyone jumping early, but I think good things will come to those who wait.

1 week later
#1842 69 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It's a little heavy and stressful but damn would this be killer in the soundtrack. Takes about 18 seconds to really get rolling.

Nice, on sale (pre-order) now!

https://waxworkrecords.com/collections/all/products/halloween-kills

#1851 69 days ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Pinball browser only works on Stern SAM, Spike, and Williams WPC I think

I used pinball browser on RZ. Worked great. I’m not sure about the newer board sets, especially the Pinotaur or whatever with HWN. We’re likely stuck with the original sounds, but that’s probably a good thing.

1 week later
#2077 62 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

what is that black thing at the top of the playfield glass?

Glare shield. Prevents reflections from the LCD on the glass.

#2154 59 days ago
Quoted from dnapac:

He’s coming home.
[quoted image]

Nice! Remember to post only vague and ambiguous thoughts with few pictures and little information.

#2165 59 days ago

Okay, I clicked on it. It’s all part of the Halloween owner’s NDA from Spooky.

#2235 58 days ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Having a few drinks to relax

Ditto! Enjoy the game and congratulations!

#2346 53 days ago

Coming along nicely, thanks for uploading!

1 week later
#2478 45 days ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Hey guys we were able to hit our mark of 5 per day! Will bump that up as soon as possible. Boxed up a ton of games to be shipped this week and have another 20 just waiting to go in boxes. Should be pretty consistent sailing now. I'm sure a a parts issue here or there will pop up but we are looking solid right now. Excited for you to start cracking them open! Shooter rods were on backorder but we go a bunch this week so they will start going in games and anyone who didn't get one will get it in the mail. Didn't think anyone would want us to hold their game back over a shooter rod!

Great news! At #80, Halloween (the holiday) should be pretty awesome this year.

1 week later
#2790 35 days ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I'm still in and excited, but after seeing like 30 people dump their orders this weekend I think it would serve Spooky's interests to bring in an additional motion designer and illustrator or else nudge the licensor to let them have cart blanche access to the film library.

Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I have zero concerns that Spooky will figure out best steps moving forward

#2821 35 days ago

Spooky:

4F4CAE8A-DC03-4A5F-9512-A0187D49F579.gif

Me:

E32CF079-E32C-4C6B-8544-96ECD9406B9F.gif
#2852 34 days ago

Oddly enough, what sold me pretty much right away was the art, in particular Michael with the clown costume. If they recognized that small moment as the entire side of the cabinet head, I was in.

I’m still in, but I’m also glad Spooky has been vocal about the early stages of the code. The streams were concerning. The lighting and flow looked great, the LCD and sounds not so much.

NightMutilator’s stream was a train wreck, both in presentation and message. He’s in charge of the animations and complaining about the ‘naysayers.’ He seems like a great dude, and I’m glad he’s a Halloween fan, but let the work speak for itself.

Anyway, still in and very excited.

#2956 32 days ago

Yeah, for all the ball busting we give to the LCD animator, I don’t envy his job. How do you take a slow, dark suspense movie and make a fast paced, fun pinball machine? Damned if I know, which is why I don’t work for Spooky.

I just buy the game.

1 week later
#3202 24 days ago

Nice! Should be next week or so for me, #80.

FA778277-6174-4636-9690-37211E5D60C3.gif
#3340 22 days ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Streamed the game today and uploaded to YouTube.

LMAO, at 12:30, I heard the Nightmare on Elm Street theme. I got excited that Spooky dropped an easter egg in the game, but then you ruined it and said Freddy was on and it was just the attract music.

#3480 19 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

# 78' here - just got the email. Life is good.

Ha, me too #80. Pulling the plug on this thread and headed to the owners club. Happy Halloween!

1 week later
#3561 11 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Should have #78 in a week or so - if anyone local wants to trade for a GNR LE please pm me - perhaps we can make a deal.

Et tu, Brute?

Ha, hopefully you find what you’re looking for. #78 is a cool number, for sure. Someone will be lucky.

#3569 11 days ago

#80 invoice received

#3572 11 days ago
Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

Weird I haven't gotten my #79 invoice yet. Hopefully that means I will soon. Were you getting butter cab? I was getting standard.

No butter. I’m sure your invoice is on the way, but may be worth a call tomorrow if you haven’t heard anything.

#3643 7 days ago

There are so many crazy timelines with Halloween. So this is the second movie after the reboot which is a sequel to the original.

The new Halloween series ignores Halloween II, but reimagines the same night used in Halloween II using footage from *Halloween II* which it pretends does not exist.

#3646 7 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Another +1 for part III
Pretty much decided I would marry my wife after riding back from New York watching part III, she told me it was one of her favorites of all times and we cracked up the whole time watching it. One of my favorite memories
It’s by no means an oscar winner, but it's fun, and kind of ridiculous, and fairly damn prescient in this day and age. Back in the day, I totally did NOT put any thought into Tom Atkins totally just leaving his wife AND KIDS, grabbing a 6-pack he drinks ON the way, then hopping into bed with Stacey Nelkin! WTF! This movie is insane!
Anyway, but it all just kind of works. The big downfall for this movie was that they released Halloween II FIRST. Unfortunately they couldn't get III made first. If they had done III and it was reasonably successful, they could have made a second Myers movie eventually. But I totally get why Carpenter didn't want to do II - because it led to IV, V, VI, H20, etc!

There's Trick r' Treat which is very similar in terms of the anthology idea

I was pretty stoked to see the Silver Shamrock pins on the back of the masks in Halloween Kills. Nice nod to HIII.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mudflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside