(Topic ID: 296256)

Spooky HALLOWEEN hype thread. Babysitters welcome.

By coasterguy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,090 posts
  • 430 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by Gunner007
  • Topic is favorited by 111 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

utramanpinplastic (resized).png
IMG_0421 (resized).JPG
IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
IMG_0426 (resized).JPG
IMG_0417 (resized).JPG
20220928_203503 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220512_182215 (resized).jpg
true level (resized).png
20220215_183140 (resized).jpg
20220214_203712 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220215_010617367 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220207_174230157 (resized).jpg
C6475CC4-E878-472F-9A3B-DDF806FA4F44 (resized).jpeg
C91EC225-85D7-42B7-A84A-019E59ABF9CF (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220209_222110.jpg
IMG_20220209_222153.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gorillabiscuits.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#228 2 years ago

Snagged one via Pinball Star at 9:03am, would have been sooner but the order link email went to spam DOH.

2 months later
#2789 2 years ago
Quoted from monitorpop:

Love it or hate it… seems like his style/capability is more motion of static assets than full blown animation like Rick and Morty or Jurassic Park. I wouldn’t count on the style of the animation changing unless Spooky enlists somebody else to help.

Agreed. I'm seeing pretty basic after effects animations with looping wiggler effectors on the rotation of arms etc... and maybe some puppet tool treatments of the pre-existing artwork from the cabinet art from somebody who is clearly passionate about horror but doesn't necessarily have the chops to incorporate traditional cel animation principles nor illustrate new artwork. I'm a motion designer by trade and neither of these skills are in my wheelhouse, so I work with a team when these asks come up and just art direct the 2D/3D animators/illustrators for quality control. In 20 years of doing this I've had no complaints. If I were tasked to do everything on my own there would be a much different outcome LOL.

For Rick and Morty, all Spooky had to do was create a polished user interface to overlay on top of clips from a (beyond massive) team of seasoned broadcast traditional animators. This is why Goodbye Moonmen is super short, that's all they had to work with... the song is much longer, but the episode they pulled scenes from only animated the first 45 seconds. GNR also had the advantage of being able to use a bazillion clips from the Not in This Lifetime tour backdrops, coupled with an AMAZING world-class motion graphics artist who handled all of their previous titles with a super professional flair.

Halloween doesn't have this luxury.

It's certainly a bummer that Spooky is not able to lean into clips from the film more to balance this.

I'm still in and excited, but after seeing like 30 people dump their orders this weekend I think it would serve Spooky's interests to bring in an additional motion designer and illustrator or else nudge the licensor to let them have cart blanche access to the film library. Now that we are seeing 9k pricing the general public expects more, hence the massive sell-off we just saw.

I have zero concerns that Spooky will figure out best steps moving forward, and I can't wait to flip mine when it arrives next year!

#2809 2 years ago

One more preliminary nitpick is the general cohesiveness of the playfield/cab art and what's displayed on the screen.

Take a look at the art style of these 2 frames.

One clearly exhibits the design characteristics of the cabinet/playfield. The other is stylistically disconnected. Both have their merits, but my vote would be to pick one look and stick with it for illustration.

Avengers may have had a bit of an animatic vibe to it, but generally worked because the overall look was consistent.

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.20.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.20.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.20.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.20.37 PM (resized).png
#2812 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

AIQ also worked because it is based on the comic not the movie - regardless I personally do not like AIQ animations. I still don’t see the connection considering Halloween is a movie based pin.

Agreed, the animation was lacking in AIQ. But the overall look came off like it was one artist's vision vs. a mashup of different styles, hence the comparison.

Also agree that the comic vibe is out of place for Halloween. I hope the license holder can be persuaded to rethink the decision to minimize clips to drive the narrative. This is basically the Citizen Kane of horror films! What made the Big Lebowski pinball so hot? You guessed it: copious amounts of clips from a much-loved cult-classic movie.

#2817 2 years ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

I totally understand the thought process of earning movie clips by completing modes but I want non stop integrated movie/game experience from the moment I press the start button. Why not make it as bad ass as possible???

Yup, if each mode was treated like a film it would have a beginning, middle, and ending. A clip for intro and outro with interactive animation that evolves as you progress through the mode would be ideal. If the clips were bookended with mode start and mode end the player would have time to digest and appreciate them. Flashing a brief clip in the middle of the mode doesn't really tell the story as the player won't see it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
Trade
Machine - For Trade
O'fallon, MO
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gorillabiscuits.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-halloween-babysitters-welcome?tu=gorillabiscuits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.