(Topic ID: 296256)

Spooky HALLOWEEN hype thread. Babysitters welcome.

By coasterguy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,090 posts
  • 430 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by Gunner007
  • Topic is favorited by 111 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

utramanpinplastic (resized).png
IMG_0421 (resized).JPG
IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
IMG_0426 (resized).JPG
IMG_0417 (resized).JPG
20220928_203503 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220512_182215 (resized).jpg
true level (resized).png
20220215_183140 (resized).jpg
20220214_203712 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220215_010617367 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220207_174230157 (resized).jpg
C6475CC4-E878-472F-9A3B-DDF806FA4F44 (resized).jpeg
C91EC225-85D7-42B7-A84A-019E59ABF9CF (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220209_222110.jpg
IMG_20220209_222153.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#172 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Nope, one of the reasons I'm not buying it. Very unproffesional for a company not to create a stream of the product. They come off as being arrogant to customers that way.

Why don't you wait until the actual public on sale date in two weeks before crucifying them? If they do not have any footage by then, I could see the outrage. They gave an option for fans of their company to order early. That brings some level of risk with it, that most of us are comfortable with because of past experience and belief in the company.

#176 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Because the reality is that if you wait they will be gone. You know this and spooky knows this. The only way to get the game you want is to pay an extra $45 and buy the game blind. The “public launch” date is a complete farce at this point.
They are primarily selling a product using hype and clever marketing vs. the actual merits of the product. It’s working, but all it takes is one turd to lose all of our trust.

Again, the fact that they will be gone to just Fang Club isn't really Spooky's fault. It is the FOMO this community thrives on. Anyone who knows anything about these guys knows it was never meant to be a malicious tactic. It was meant to be a perk for being a part of their club.

Besides, as 27dnast mentions above, they are making a pretty healthy run of these, so they will be available second hand fairly easily. There are a heck of a lot Stern games out there with less than 1250 units made, and none are really all that hard to find. For anyone having doubts, just wait. The games will be there.

#232 2 years ago

They have top notch distributors...why aren't people using them when the website is obviously struggling?

3 weeks later
#1132 2 years ago
Quoted from TeamUp:

But you saw zero game play and a bunch of jumbled/ Shakey video footage from the Blair witch project and you considered that a first impression? I'm so confused??

...and now I want a Blair Witch Project pin, LOL! (yes, seriously...could be awesome).

While I would love a "real" reveal stream, as I've said before, I'm sure Spooky would like to do one even more than I want to see one. There is obviously something holding it back from happening. Just chill everyone...it will come. For now I am happy to see these little snippets. They are better than nothing, show a tiny peek of the awesomeness that awaits, and shows people just having fun with the machine. My only concern...which has really been my only concern since the first pics, is the LED strips. I know Luke has said they are out of normal line of sight, but I have a hard time seeing that from everything shown so far. They look really in your face which is something my eyeballs do not like, and seem to take away from the atmosphere. But I will reserve judgement until I have one in my hands. Worst case scenario, I'm sure someone will come up with a way to diffuse or relocate them. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it, but it is my one and only real "complaint" so far, if you can call it that.

Congrats Spooky crew...looks like everyone is having a blast with it so far. Love it!

#1217 2 years ago

Anything other than HWN is honestly kind of silly.

H78 is more of a designation to keep the movies straight, since both the RZ remake AND the recent direct sequel were simply called Halloween. It isn't necessary at all for the pinball machine since there is only one.

1 week later
#1642 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Well hopefully not too much is changed from a music perspective. You have folks putting the game down who obviously don't understand Halloween. Kaneda does a great job reporting rumors but the kid doesn't know anything about horror. He's completely lost (although he admits the same - I think he even referred to Michael as "Mike Myers"). And Cary complaining about that amazing music that is so iconic in the movie is another sign of a complete miss. That is the music that builds tension, which he rightfully predicted as the response to his complaint. You are in his house so get ready - s**t is about to go down! I like that music there as you flail to keep your ball alive on the top upper. Perfect.
Campy dumb humor is not the only winning formula in pinball. I applaud you guys for trying something new. Yes the high hat sound that plays in two chords needs to be reduced but let's not cut too deep. You will continue to get the best feedback right here in this thread.

This. All of this. So much this. Nailed it. If you do not understand Halloween, or do not want it to BE Halloween and do Halloween things, then get an Ultraman.

As a huge Halloween fan, I am loving everything I see so far, and I have faith in Bug and the crew to nail it. And if I just wasn't into the theme and the atmosphere around it, I would definitely be interested in Ultraman. Same interesting layout, but polar opposite in theme, atmosphere, and "feel". It doesn't surprise me that many seem more drawn to UM at this stage. It's lighter, more colorful, and "friendly". Halloween isn't supposed to be those things...it is supposed to be dark, atmospheric, oppressive even. That's what the movie is...that's what the machine should be.

#1646 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm glad you and others are, but I (as a Halloween fan as well) am not loving everything I see so far. HOWEVER, I fully realize how early it is and have not passed judgement. I'm just not as optimistic as I was when I heard about the theme. I'm encouraged to hear Luke admit that HWN is behind UM because of licensing delays. This means more positive changes could/should be coming.

As someone who also grew up with UM, I'm loving how this title is progressing. I went into this banking on HWN, but staying open to UM. After my first impression I'm more banking on UM, but keeping myself open to HWN. I'll be in a real pickle if both turn out to be amazing, so I'm closet-rooting for one or the other to go in a direction I don't like, so my decision is easier.

And this is kinda why I'm not vibing with HWN yet. I agree it should feel like these things, but to me, it doesn't. There are a ton of pinball things that don't translate over a stream...obviously. And one of the least transferable things is atmosphere. But between the weird floating cut-out illustrations (like the waving-hand and bobbing head), the really orange playfield, the bright flashy lights, and some other things I can't put my finger on - I'm concerned that this game is currently stuck in the middle of trying to be brooding and atmospheric, but not exactly getting there.
Compare the lighting (color and intensity) of Alien to HWN. I don't think playing Alien is that fun, but the game does set the tone with music and lights. At this point, HWN feels more Trick-or-Treat than Michael is about to murder you. This can still change and I hope it does! Just voicing my "too early to have an opinion" opinion.

Totally get where you are coming from. Had I grown up watching UM or if I were more familiar with that theme, I am guessing I would be more drawn to that one right now too. Hell, I'm drawn to it and I have literally never seen an episode. It makes me want to watch the show for sure.

I am still a little leery of the HWN lighting myself, but I am staying cautiously optimistic and putting my faith in Bug and the Spooky crew. And worst case scenario, I'm sure there will be ways to mod it. I have a feeling it is going to be pretty awesome though. Stranger Things is one of my favorite games right now, and the atmosphere it builds is one of the big reasons for that. I am confident Spooky can match that level of immersion and atmosphere, and if they do, I will be a VERY happy camper. (and now I want a Sleepaway Camp pin...LOL...ohhhhhh I'm a Happy Camper...I love the summer sun... )

As for the animations, I really like some of them, but understand the dislike of some of them as well. My guess, and purely a guess, is ones like the car one everyone hates could be a placeholder. There are very similar scenes in the movie, which possibly once approval is granted will be put into the game in place of the animation. I'm sure there will be places that the animations will stay in either because of lack of rights, or lack of a scene which works just right for the mode. I'm ok with that. I like the motion comic/graphic novel style (I'm one of the few that love the AIQ animations), so I do not mind most of them staying. I'm sure there is some tweaking to be done either way. Not going to judge too much at this point. There is tons more to come.

#1732 2 years ago

Spooky: Gives an amazing topper, laser cut side rails, fancy powder coat, laser cut speaker grills, lit speakers, custom plunger, and more for the extra $1k on the CE. Most of which other companies charge (tons) extra for.
Pinside: Wah that's not enough. Those other companies skip most of that cool stuff but give us...fancy glass.

There is literally never pleasing some people.

#1736 2 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

If I am paying for glass, I damn well want to see it!

LOL...ok that's the funniest thing I've seen today.

Sorry guys...it just rubbed me wrong that with SO many extras being added to the CE, people are still not satisfied. Trust me, I get wanting my cake and eating it too. Snapped back harder than I needed to though.

1 week later
#1897 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You could complain aboot them flipping the image on the other speaker panel though

Aww crap. That's going to set my OCD off big time! I get the want for symmetry in most cases, but not in a case like this. It's like when people put on a Star Trek emblem mirrored. It's just wrong. I really hope that's a separate piece and we are able to flip it.

Is this a real complaint? No. But it's one of those goofy little things that will slightly annoy me. That pumpkin is so iconic that I'm really surprised Spooky (or the license) would let mirroring it fly.

#1901 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

The grills are definitely separate and should be powder coated on both sides, so you should be able to flip it around.

That is good news. I mean...yeah that is a really crazy thing to be bothered about...but I'd be (slightly) bothered. LOL

#1907 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

What about the side armour, can’t flip that about but guess it’s not in your face to annoy you enough.
The only thing about those speaker covers that was concerning me was that they cover so much of the speaker up but from some of the clips it doesn’t sound bad or muffled.

I think the pumpkins on the side armor already look so different from the original (with the round button noses) that they do not bother me as much. But I fully admit I'm weird.

I will definitely have to change the flipper button color though. The yellow makes it look so cartoony. Black or even red will look much better.

#2091 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Is this not the same one we will get?
[quoted image]

I'm hopeful they powdercoat it. I guess I've been assuming all along it would be since it really sticks out like a sore thumb. Not the end of the world either way though!

#2278 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Here’s House mode. I got there the easy way by hitting the center ramp 5 times to open it.

Holy balls...this looks like the most nerve wracking mode since Horde. Intense. Stressful. Just watching I was nervous for you to hit that damn shot. LOVE IT!

Also, your cat pic is now my favorite picture on the internet.

Thanks for the videos and info. I was all in and 100% excited before, but you have helped cement it. Can't wait for 120! I've known Charlie and his family since before they started making games, and I'm so very happy to finally be able to support them and enjoy their product. Just great people doing great work.

1 week later
#2434 2 years ago

100% on the blade protectors. I was initially put off by the cost, but they are worth every penny. No matter how careful you are, you WILL eventually snag or scratch a blade without them. It's inevitable...and a huge bummer when it happens. For less than half the price of most blades, you can protect all of them.

#2440 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Remastered version out next month
[quoted image]

Yup…have all five preordered and looking forward to them! Scream Factory always puts out great releases. I also have the beautiful Lionsgate steelbook from last year. They did a nice job but I’m expecting Screams to be even better. I’m keeping that sweet steel though. Just like I had to keep the 35th Blu in the digibook. LOL

1D203B23-4AA0-44DB-B30A-374A7EC3C49E (resized).jpeg1D203B23-4AA0-44DB-B30A-374A7EC3C49E (resized).jpeg883A1A94-92E9-46F6-932E-A03F68CD1581 (resized).jpeg883A1A94-92E9-46F6-932E-A03F68CD1581 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2787 2 years ago

Let's all try to remember that the game is still being developed, and is VERY early on. Yes, some have been shipped, but it was very clear that they were to certain insiders close to the team, and for all practical purposes are beta units. Everything we have seen should be considered preliminary. I'm not expecting everything to be fleshed out by the time the "general public" games start shipping, but I'm sure we will see strides being made. I wouldn't expect anything to be "final" for a year or so...just like darn near every game released by every manufacturer. I totally get offering feedback and wish-list stuff, but some of the "sky is falling" reactions are a bit over the top.

I really like the style of most of the animations (I also love the AIQ animations, so I should probably be taken with a grain of salt, lol), but of course I also hope for more movie clips, as long as they are well integrated in the game. I totally (ha...TOTALLY) agree with the direction to use them somewhat sparingly for key points in gameplay. I do not want to see scenes simply loop or keep playing in the background like GOTG. I think that is where some well done animations, like many we have already seen, can fill in between and keep the suspense building while giving us key information on what we are doing. I agree not all of the animations so far have been stellar, and they can be repetitive, but that's where I think if we have patience and let them do their thing, we will see many improvements and much more variety added. Let's have a little faith in the team and give them the benefit of the doubt. Now if things look the same a year from now, then I can see the concern. At this point in development, when it's clear the machine is still very much IN development, I think we should cut them some slack.

#inbugwetrust

#2841 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do w their spot or their money. I'm just going to add this...
I've been operating the game for a little less than a week, and the feedback I'm getting from players has been well beyond what I expected, considering the code being so premature. I've been told it's incredibly fun, and that the house upper playfield is one of the best in pinball, for it's rules and flow. the level of return/repeat play I've seen is definitely higher than any previous Spooky title I've operated. People are just loving it. That can of course change with time.
It's my opinion (and I stress "opinion") that anyone bailing out now, especially for a loss on their deposit, is comparable to folks selling a stock out of fear after it crashes, only to watch it go back up without them.
anyway, do what you want with that information.

Great to hear, especially about the love for the upper playfield. It's all about the butt pretzel.

#inbugwetrust #buttpretzel4life

#3009 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I know it seems official... it is tough to divorce the fact he is the animator for the game, this is his private stream with his own game, and Spooky has nothing to deal with it.
Kind of like tearing down the highway at 140mph on the way to work - not in a uniform, not in a company car but if someone recognizes you... be certain they are going to call your employer and tell them how bad a representative you are.

Ehh...I'm not sure I agree with that. This is a case of him showing a machine he is helping develop, acknowledging that fact publicly, and representing himself and the machine in what is being perceived as a bad light. I work at a large plumbing product manufacturer. If I started making videos of say a faucet I am working on, set up poorly, and discussing our design decisions and why the features the customer wants are stupid, you can bet my boss would like to have a word with me. It's just not something you do. Take a look at RayDay's streams and how well he represents the machines and in turn the company. That's a world of difference.

I'm not pulling out the pitchfork and calling for him to be fired or anything, but I will say if he were my employee we would be having a frank conversation about why that is unacceptable behavior for a company representative. Even in his time off, he is still absolutely representing the company in this case.

#3064 2 years ago

I'm still as excited as day 1. I think this is just the usual lull before the storm. Some people ordered out of FOMO and have since moved on to the next shiny object. Some played and decided it wasn't for them, as no pin clicks with everyone. A new (and pretty amazing looking) pin has since been shown and has lured some away. Some people quite frankly like to complain to hear themselves complain. The less vocal majority of us are still excited and still on board. I am not seeing anything out of the ordinary with the usual pattern playing itself out here. Happens with almost every game.

#3248 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Isn't the shooter handle supposed to be knife handle? Or did I miss something?
Thanks,
Jeff

It will be. Supply issues so they will send them once the arrive. No reason to hold up the whole game for a shooter rod!

#3455 2 years ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

If Bally/Williams, or data east would have made it. It would have been 100 times better.my favorite slasher of all time and sucks that gottlieb was the one that got that amazing license.

My biggest pinball wish (ok...maybe right after Harry Potter) is for Spooky to make Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St someday. Seeing the love they are pouring into Halloween makes me absolutely drool over the prospect of seeing those three titles lined up. I would be 100% in on CEs of all three.

#3508 2 years ago

Obvious attention seeker is obvious. These guys with their hilariously bad "reviews" are getting old. OK...the game isn't for everyone. No game is. But this huge "LOOK AT ME AND HOW COOL I AM BASHING SOMEONES WORK" generation really needs to find something that actually makes them happy so they can stop living for likes and internet reactions. Just really sad and kind of pathetic. *disclaimer this isn't directed just at this video...there are a ton of them lately, and not just about Halloween*

And having never seen tabs like that to hold on the apron? Dude must not have seen many pinball machines. That was a standard for decades, LOL.

#3559 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Should have #78 in a week or so - if anyone local wants to trade for a GNR LE please pm me - perhaps we can make a deal.

Have you played both machines? I realize I'm biased (as is the rest of this thread being a HWN thread), but that's a terrible idea.

#3564 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

I have played GNR and liked it a lot - as I love Rock pins. I have not played Halloween yet and I have been on the fence since day 1. After watching almost all of the streams (minus the completely negative ones I read about here), I really don't think I will enjoy the subways all too much and 4 of the main shots in the game all go that route, so it is of a big concern. The 3 hedge shots look like they will get old very quickly (again just my opinion based on what I like in a game) and that takes up the entire left side of the playfield. Wish they shot the ball back and didn't go the subway route. Please remember we didn't see all too much prior to the 9am sell time and I knew it was going to sellout immediately. HUGE fan of the original film and theme is very important to me - Game is definitely cool and different but it just may not be for me to invest 10K. I may keep it in the box or play it - haven't decided yet. If I had unlimited funds, yes I would be keeping it 100% but I don't. It saddens me, but this is where I'm at.
Very happy for those that are getting this and I hope all of you love it.

Glad you have played GnR before deciding, and have well thought out reasons that Halloween may not be for you. I personally find GnR, like most JJP games, to be super impressive and beautiful, but just not my type of game at all (shots or code wise). I can see why people like it though. Best of luck with your trade!

2 weeks later
#3738 2 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

Or a Lynda “Totally” mod. Even better.

If there isn't a "Totally Frenzy" mode at some point, I will be a little disappointed.

#3765 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

I believe #89 is the last butter email that we know of, on the 21st.

I am 120 and received my butter email on the 28th. I bought through a distributor though (Kingpin), so not sure if that changes the cadence. Email was from Kingpin, not straight from Spooky.

4 weeks later
#3838 2 years ago
Quoted from SLRage:

I've seen them both side by side. Decals are high gloss looking and sticky to run your hand over. Butter was matte like finish with more depth of color and was butter-like smooth to run your hand over.

I wouldn't call the regular decals "sticky". They are smooth and glossy, very similar to modern Stern decals. The overall fit and application is MUCH nicer than Stern though. Very clean seams, edges, etc.

Butter seems to be more like the finish of a nice playfield to me (which makes sense being direct ink and clearcoated). It's beautiful, but I wasn't able to justify the price increase. That said, there is and always will be a tiny part of me wishing I would have sprung for it!

Seriously though, the decals are very nice on their own. No complaints.

#3846 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Animator posted about a new batch of clips being included in this code update but it sounded like this HWN code was basically a bug fix and that the next one would have new animations and clips. Anyone have any insights here? Maybe his new animations need to be cleared by the licensor before being included in an update?
[quoted image]

That could be read that he is delivering the new animations tomorrow for a future code update. Not necessarily delivering them for tomorrow's code update. I would temper expectations and stick with what Luke and Bug said, that this week's planned update is for bugs only and more content would come later. If we end up with more than just bug fixes right now, bonus!

1 month later
#3914 2 years ago

The flippers are great. I'm generally a Stern guy and even B/W flippers feel off to me...much less something like JJP. Thankfully these feel perfect! Honestly, everything just feels great in general on this game. Literally my only real complaint is that I didn't spring for the butter. The cab is gorgeous with standard decals, but I can't help but wish I would have upgraded.

Also worth noting, I have heard a lot of people mention that Spooky games cannot stage flip. Not sure if R&M could yet, but you definitely can on Halloween (and I'm assuming UM)!

1 month later
#3974 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

And since this is a hype thread, this game deserves the hype, warts and all.
I just spent the whole night saying just one more game. Now I get to sleep for 4 hours before I go to work and do it all over again.
Sanitarium mode - turn up that bass!
Butt pretzel? Probably one of the best shots in a of pinball, 5 minutes past ripping those spinners and I didn't even realize it.
Spooky purposefully designed this game with SPEED and strategically placed stops in play for a reason. Who knew pinball could make you feel suspense and the sensation of being chased (and surprised around every corner).
The unique mechanisms and engineering that went into this deserves massive amounts of respect.
The out of the box design for this layout is noteworthy, not just stacking playfields but that each have form, function and a purpose that evokes emotion other than rage (I've not felt dread in a pinball machine before and this does it with the pacing).
The music is great. The PJ Soles callouts, eh. Donald Pleasance impersonator, bravo! Don't care what anyone says, I love it.
Got a multiball at end of some Laurie mode, juggle three on the main playfield and one in the house ripping spinners then hitting the super jackpot... I felt like I really earned it and so did Loomis.
So yes there is the eyesore in my playfield - spooky will make it right. Is it s huge inconvenience. Sure freaking is. Should it have ever happened, nope. But I am glad they didn't tell me to go pound sand.
Decals? Shoot, don't know what to say, plenty of us with trouble... seems it isn't isolated. I fixed most of em easy. But it certainly makes me want to have the butter cabinet instead.

It's really nice to see someone that is dealing with some quality issues able to look past them and still give positive feedback. I agree with almost everything you said. The dread and sensation of being chased is such a unique experience in this game. The new stalker mode really nails this one. I find myself panicking that Michael is going to "find me" and of course end up flubbing shots because of the stress. That right there is awesome, innovative rules design, and the team should be very proud of it. I have had mine long enough that the honeymoon phase should be wearing off, but I'm still totally in love with the machine, and looking forward to seeing the code continue to evolve. Sure there have been some hiccups along the way, but this is a very special machine.

For what it's worth, no decal issues here. My only regret is not springing for the butter cab!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 210.00
5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 49.99
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-halloween-babysitters-welcome?tu=Jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.